Church Christmas Decor

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
JustDan
captain of 100

Church Christmas Decor

Post by JustDan »

Tis the season....

Question: What does your ward do regarding church christmas decorations?

Does your ward dare to decorate inside the chapel? lights on a tree??

We did. I thought it was lovely to see a Christmas tree in our chapel, all lit up. It is Christmas after all, and every other church denomination seems to celebrate the joy of Christmas with decorations and lights.

But our church? Not so. See - we have it set out in the handbook that one should not enjoy the beauty of Christmas.

Church Handbook 2 21.2.2
Decorations
With the exception of flowers, decorations may not be placed in the chapel area of the meetinghouse. Nor should the exterior of the meetinghouse or the grounds be decorated.

Decorations should be modest and inexpensive and must not be a fire hazard. Hay, straw, palm fronds, other dehydrated materials, and lighted candles may not be used. If Christmas trees are used, they should be artificial or properly fireproofed and displayed without electric lights or candles.
Just wondering if you have any experience? We had disgruntled members calling mutiny on the Bishopric for having lights on a Christmas tree.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Re: Church Christmas Decor

Post by Michelle »

I think its for insurance purposes. I vote follow the rules.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I don't have any problem with it.
We celebrate Jesus Christ all year long, not just one day a year.
Also, I have driven around some of the cities around here, even just looking out my front window and people all over have fantastic displays. I can barely believe it. Millions and millions of dollars of lights. And statues and inflatables, Christ theme, Santa theme, etc.
Tremendous wow value.
dc

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

In New England and Atlantic Canada it is generally considered improper for there to be any kind of Christmas tree in a church building proper. As a child I can recall a bishop “from away” who broke this cultural taboo one year, boy did he get an earful. No more Christmas trees in the Church after that.

This cultral norm applies to all churches by the way.
Last edited by gkearney on December 28th, 2017, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Some believe that the Christmas tree is a pagan thing.

Jeremiah 10:2-5

2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

"Back in the day", (that seems to date a person :D ) we use to have a real tree in our chapel and did so for several years. It had the old big lights, beautiful glass ornaments and was usually flocked. I loved it! The problem was, as a kid I would stare at the tree during sacrament meeting and daydream, not paying a lick of attention to the meeting. But even then, I worried about it catching the chapel on fire. It's just a fact that real trees dry out quick. Eventually they were banned I'm sure for the safety issues. My dad was stake president during this time. (I would be curious to hear his take on when and why) They did appear in the foyers for several more years though; AND artificial at that.

Fast forward to my current ward, there have been spotty years that trees have appeared in the foyer, but it has never been for "beauty" sake. They have been sub for Santa type trees where we could take paper ornaments off the tree that represented families in need.

Yeah I miss the good ole days.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I have seen fake trees with lights in the foyer, plants beyond a pair of poinsettias in the chapel, and maybe a couple things on the walls in the foyers.

This was my first Christmas after moving to Utah earlier this year, and thankfully I didn't see anything but a pair of poinsettias in the chapel to visually remind me of this stuff. Of course I had to endure the Christmas music and incessant talks about family, but I hope the hell of the last couple weeks is past.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I see decorations in the foyers and in various rooms, sometimes poinsettias, that green trim amd lights along the ridge of the podium, nothing distracting. We do Christmas parties, events and decorate our homes, the chapel has a singular purpose and it is simple and humble, nothing pretentious and showy.

You’re never going to please everyone. Ever. Even heaven has different degrees of glory. It is some kind of eternal law.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I've seen that rule broken. Just visited a ward that had a real Christmas tree with electric lights.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: December 27th, 2017, 10:19 pm I have seen fake trees with lights in the foyer, plants beyond a pair of poinsettias in the chapel, and maybe a couple things on the walls in the foyers.

This was my first Christmas after moving to Utah earlier this year, and thankfully I didn't see anything but a pair of poinsettias in the chapel to visually remind me of this stuff. Of course I had to endure the Christmas music and incessant talks about family, but I hope the hell of the last couple weeks is past.
This is also my first year in Utah for Christmas.

I don't even remember what's in the chapel for decorations. I think there is nothing, but some seasonal paper on the walls with photos or drawings etc in the Gospel Doctrine/RS room.

As to the music and talks, it has not been so centered on family, but more on the Savior. And most enjoyable and most glorious. A pure delight. As has been seeing all the lights on so many houses around the towns.
dc