Meekness

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Meekness

Post by drtanner »

This is from a Elder in the MTC as he listened to Elder Bednar. Interesting perspective on Meekness.
One interesting point Elder Bednar brought up is the definition of meekness. As we looked through scriptures time and time again meekness came up and sometimes even seemed to be more important than humility. So what is meekness. Elder Bednar invited us to search the scriptures, but he gave us one example in Matthew 4 where Christ faces temptation following his baptism. In this scenario Christ could have exerted all of his power and destroyed Satan. Purely by his will, or by the will of the father, Christ submits to his captors including when he was taken and crucified. Christ has the power to call down all the angels of heaven to destroy his opposition. But what does he do? "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34) He chooses to give up the Ghost, submitting himself not to what he wants, but to the will of the father to fulfill the plan which agreed to before life on this earth. This is the definition of meekness! Withholding power. We may have any number strengths over others, but when we exercise meekness and forgive those that we could make look weak, the Lord sees our good works and blesses us with direction and power.
Last edited by drtanner on December 22nd, 2017, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Meekness

Post by Thinker »

I like it. Jordan Peterson explained it similarly.
“The meek shall inherit the earth” maybe because they have overcome the biggest challenge in all of the world: themselves - their pride etc.

I’m reminded of how all things in moderation and at the right time/circumstance. “A time and season” for meekness, and then a time for exercising one’s power/strength.

“God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.”

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I like this. This is what we need. We don't need to focus on deep mysteries but just focus on the simple stuff. It's wonderful to think that someone might be converted enough that they would never fall away. I guess that's what partly is in meekness. And meekness is letting the Lord take us the next step of teaching us for the rest of our lives. Maybe that's whats meant by the saying Enoch walked with God in part?

THanks for this post.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

drtanner wrote: December 21st, 2017, 9:35 pm This is from a Elder in the MTC as he listened to Elder Bednar. Interesting perspective on Meekness.
One interesting point Elder Bednar brought up is the definition of meekness. As we looked through scriptures time and time again meekness came up and sometimes even seemed to be more important than humility. So what is meekness. Elder Bednar invited us to search the scriptures, but he gave us one example in Matthew 4 where Christ faces temptation following his baptism. In this scenario Christ could have exerted all of his power and destroyed Satan. Purely by his will, or by the will of the father, Christ submits to his captors including when he was taken and crucified. Christ has the power to call down all the angels of heaven to destroy his opposition. But what does he do? "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34) He chooses to give up the Ghost, submitting himself not to what he wants, but to the will of the father to fulfill the plan which agreed to before life on this earth. This is the definition of meekness! Withholding power. We may have any number strengths over others, but when we exercise meekness and forgive those that we could make look weak, the Lord sees our good works and blesses us with direction and power.
This is great! I have always believed that when it says in Moses 5:6 And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.

7 And then the angel spake, saying: This thing is a similitude of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father, which is full of grace and truth.

To me, this means in part, that this sacrifice Moses offered, that of being obedient over a long period of time, and having no idea why he was doing what he was doing, and his only motive was that he was told to do it, is a pattern of the Saviors obedience.

When the Savior said, "take my yolk upon you", I think a major part of that yolk was unquestioned obedience to what ever the Father asked, and at times, waiting until He was told what to do or say, as in this account: John 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

I wonder if his writing on the ground wasn't a way to put aside his own desires, and submit his will to the will of the Father, until He could here the Fathers counsel, and then he stood and spoke what He was guided to say. Perfect Meekness!

8 Wherefore, thou shalt do all that thou doest in the name of the Son, and thou shalt repent and call upon God in the name of the Son forevermore.