A Letter Concerning Toleration - John Locke

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

A Letter Concerning Toleration - John Locke

Post by ajax »

First paragraph:
A Letter Concerning Toleration.

Honoured Sir,

Since you are pleased to inquire what are my Thoughts about the mutual Toleration of Christians in their different Professions of Religion, I must needs answer you freely, That I esteem that Toleration to be the chief Characteristical Mark of the True Church. For whatsoever some People boast of the Antiquity of Places and Names, or of the Pomp of their Outward Worship; Others, of the Reformation of their Discipline; All, of the Orthodoxy of their Faith; (for every one is Orthodox to himself): these things, and all others of this nature, are much rather Marks of Men striving for Power and Empire over one another, than of the Church of Christ. Let any one have never so true a Claim to all these things, yet if he be destitute of Charity, Meekness, and Good-will in general towards all Mankind; even to those that are not Christians, he is certainly yet short of being a true Christian himself. The Kings of the Gentiles exercise Lordship over them, said our Saviour to his Disciples, but ye shall not be so, Luke 22:25. The Business of True Religion is quite another thing. It is not instituted in order to the erecting of an external Pomp, nor to the obtaining of Ecclesiastical Dominion, nor to the exercising of Compulsive Force; but to the regulating of Mens Lives according to the Rules of Vertue and Piety. Whosoever will list himself under the Banner of Christ, must in the first place, and above all things, make War upon his own Lusts and Vices. It is in vain for any Man to usurp the Name of Christian, without Holiness of Life, Purity of Manners, and Benignity and Meekness of Spirit.
http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/locke ... r-writings

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Re: A Letter Concerning Toleration - John Locke

Post by Irrelevant »

Being a personal journey, really anything of value occurs internally. It is unfortunate that so much attention is given to what we can observe and measure on the outside.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I’ve taken the 11th article of faith about respecting various ways of worship to heart by taking my kids to various religious services - Hindu temple, Islamic mosque, Jewish synogogue, Buddhist temple, Baptist church & Catholic mass. Each religion has some valuable truths and traditions. Personally I like the lds church for the opportunities to love & be loved - but I appreciate other faiths. I love the idea of ALL humanity being my tribe. We all have so much in common.

The quote mentioned basically addresses Matthew 7:3-5 ... “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?”

Then I’m reminded of people who I tried to love but who hurt me and the need for righteous judgment, and I consider how some are trying to promote evil in the name of “tollerance.”

“Tolerance applies to persons, but never to truth. Intolerance applies to truth, but never to persons. Tolerance applies to the erring; intolerance to the error.”

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Irrelevant wrote: December 9th, 2017, 8:05 am Being a personal journey, really anything of value occurs internally. It is unfortunate that so much attention is given to what we can observe and measure on the outside.
Yes, human development theories would suggest such a habitual trait is characteristic of children who have not yet learned to think abstractly. Then some would argue that the dreaded ego has taken over! There is a need to consider and address materialistic concerns, but no doubt they can be very distracting and deceive into believing that what you see, hear, smell etc, is all there is. Some feel a temporary sense of security in being able to prove something by itself being scientifically observable.

Yet, “the kingdom of God cometh not with observation... the kingdom of God is within you.” -Luke 17 What does that mean? I’ve argued with LDS, Hindus & others about who God is. One said, “you can’t just make up what you think God is!” I thought, “why not? Isn’t that what we do subconsciously anyway - why not just make it more conscious and progress spiritually?” All our thoughts are subjective - made up - influenced by others but no 2 people imagine God the exact same way.

Many (both Theist & Atheist) have mistaken the symbols for what they represent. They think the map IS the terrain, and that damns them (holds them back) from using the symbols and maps for their intended purposes- for spiritual development.