How do you keep this commandment?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

How do you keep this commandment?

Post by brianj »

We are commanded to multiply and replenish the Earth. I understand this commandment is repeated when a couple is sealed. But what if...

What about couples who deal with infertility? No matter how much they try, they won't be able to multiply.

What about people whose spouse violates their covenants and leaves them at an age too old to multiply? They also have this impossible to keep commandment bringing them condemnation.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How do you keep this commandment?

Post by MMbelieve »

how can one bring condemnation to themselves for thing outside of their control?

We know God will judge the heart, that may bring peace to many facing things they have no control over.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

brianj wrote: December 6th, 2017, 5:53 pm We are commanded to multiply and replenish the Earth. I understand this commandment is repeated when a couple is sealed. But what if...

What about couples who deal with infertility? No matter how much they try, they won't be able to multiply.

What about people whose spouse violates their covenants and leaves them at an age too old to multiply? They also have this impossible to keep commandment bringing them condemnation.
Maybe that’s why dna cloning research is happening?

LightisTruth111
captain of 50

Post by LightisTruth111 »

brianj wrote: December 6th, 2017, 5:53 pm We are commanded to multiply and replenish the Earth. I understand this commandment is repeated when a couple is sealed. But what if...

such does not bring them condemnation and that commandment will be more fulfilled when Genesis is done. In the world to come for those capable to abide it in millenial. That commandment in this generation should be withheld as this scripture is soon the reality-

19And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

I would advise mankind to cease having children at this time, as this is not the generation to go and multiply, if people knew what was to come they would not want to have children.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Several scriptures come to mind...and some historical accounts that can give insight.

Scripture; more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife. Isaiah 54:1 (Also the whole chapter is inspirational to meditate about.)

We gain adversity as a gift to help us learn how fragile others lives are and to study how to take care of others spiritually and temporally. What do we gain by that? We gain in the eternity preparation to be gifted with bigger families and more access to extended families and more people close to us. There's a reason for this. Adversity helps open our eyes to care for others as we take it hand in hand with charity, faith, and hope.

Examples; Joseph Smith and Emma lost more than half of their children to young childhood deaths. Brigham Young also lost family members. (What am I showing here? Good people suffer loss. If you suffer it doesn't mean you deserved it.)

Example 2; King David and Solomon gained more than they could handle early on and it ruined them. (More preparation, time, and meditating on how to be better with our stewardships is good.)

Though Alma and Amulek were beaten and spit upon in Ammonihah the Lord came to them and released them from their shackles and bonds. Nephi's shackles were broken on the ship when Laman and Lemuel had taken it over. Nephi appeared to be suffering but the Lord was also showing him early on who to bring with him later to a blessed future. By not giving in to despair, or giving up on faith, the Lord made many countries from Nephi's descendants, much like Abraham.

Abraham's adversity were to teach him to think and act more like Heavenly Father so that he could comprehend how to care for and have a bigger family. The Lord promised him blessings of children as numerous as the sands of the Earth.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

LightisTruth111 wrote: December 6th, 2017, 8:30 pm

such does not bring them condemnation and that commandment will be more fulfilled when Genesis is done. In the world to come for those capable to abide it in millenial. That commandment in this generation should be withheld as this scripture is soon the reality-

19And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

I would advise mankind to cease having children at this time, as this is not the generation to go and multiply, if people knew what was to come they would not want to have children.
That last paragraph is in complete opposition to your name " lightistruth111" , as that advice is from hell itself IMO. You do have the right to think and feel as you please , but, to advise mankind / Latter Day Saints to cease having children is in obvious direct opposition to one of the first commandment to mankind to " multiply and replenish the earth".
Any married latterday saint that postpones or delays or does not desire to have children, IMO is not living their religion. Is it not all about gaining eternal life? Eternal increase? Posterity without end? World's without end?
What if, Mr Lightistruth, your parents decided to do what you are advising? You were born most assuredly in these trying corrupt times. You could of " missed out" on these wicked latter days and society. But your parents gave you birth and an opportunity to choose between good and evil and now you want to advise others to just dry up and wither away.... I take exception to that and advise people to keep that first commandment of multiplying and replenishing the earth, do the best they can, and trust in God for His watchful care. It is not a terrible thing to die, if you die unto the Lord, death is sweet unto the righteous, but it is a terror unto the wicked.

Now in regards to the OP , All we can do is the best we can and then leave the rest up to God. He knows our desires and the intents of our hearts and will bless or spank us accordingly.
In regards to infertility, I find it interesting that in our society it is common to prescribe birth control pills, ( or what i call " abortion pills") for young women when their single, and married for that matter, for other ailments. So then they continue taking those pills into marriage, postponing having children, then decide later on to go ahead and have a child or two, and then lo and behold they are infertile. Then go to extremities to reverse the problem. Now I am not saying that it is the case in all circumstance, but I personally know of quite a few of those instances. So really what do we expect, if we play with fire, well, I guess we get burnt.
And then on the other side of the coin we have fertile couples that go and give themselves the "snip snip". I consider that "snipping" or " clipping" your future glory.

Just a little snack for thought...

LightisTruth111
captain of 50

Post by LightisTruth111 »

simpleton wrote: December 7th, 2017, 5:52 am
LightisTruth111 wrote: December 6th, 2017, 8:30 pm

That last paragraph is in complete opposition to your name " lightistruth111" , as that advice is from hell itself IMO. You do have the right to think and feel as you please , but, to advise mankind / Latter Day Saints to cease having children is in obvious direct opposition to one of the first commandment to mankind to " multiply and replenish the earth".
Any married latterday saint that postpones or delays or does not desire to have children, IMO is not living their religion. Is it not all about gaining eternal life? Eternal increase? Posterity without end? World's without end?
What if, Mr Lightistruth, your parents decided to do what you are advising? You were born most assuredly in these trying corrupt times. You could of " missed out" on these wicked latter days and society. But your parents gave you birth and an opportunity to choose between good and evil and now you want to advise others to just dry up and wither away.... I take exception to that and advise people to keep that first commandment of multiplying and replenishing the earth, do the best they can, and trust in God for His watchful care. It is not a terrible thing to die, if you die unto the Lord, death is sweet unto the righteous, but it is a terror unto the wicked.

Now in regards to the OP , All we can do is the best we can and then leave the rest up to God. He knows our desires and the intents of our hearts and will bless or spank us accordingly.
In regards to infertility, I find it interesting that in our society it is common to prescribe birth control pills, ( or what i call " abortion pills") for young women when their single, and married for that matter, for other ailments. So then they continue taking those pills into marriage, postponing having children, then decide later on to go ahead and have a child or two, and then lo and behold they are infertile. Then go to extremities to reverse the problem. Now I am not saying that it is the case in all circumstance, but I personally know of quite a few of those instances. So really what do we expect, if we play with fire, well, I guess we get burnt.
And then on the other side of the coin we have fertile couples that go and give themselves the "snip snip". I consider that "snipping" or " clipping" your future glory.

Just a little snack for thought...
To spare them from the sorrows that are to come, for few were capable to stand before the Son of man, sadly most of the world has fallen short, they did not meet the requirements of Faith, Hope and Charity, where not measured as the truly righteous. If you knew what was to come ye would not say as you have spoken. let me show you a scripture.

1 Hearken, O ye people who profess my name, saith the Lord your God; for behold, mine anger is kindled against the rebellious, and they shall know mine arm and mine indignation, in the day of visitation and of wrath upon the nations.

2 And he that will not take up his cross and follow me, and keep my commandments, the same shall not be saved.

3 Behold, I, the Lord, command; and he that will not obey shall be cut off in mine own due time, after I have commanded and the commandment is broken.

4 Wherefore I, the Lord, command and revoke, as it seemeth me good; and all this to be answered upon the heads of the rebellious, saith the Lord.

Behold the Lord God can revoke commandments as he seeth fit in his wisdom, and if a time cometh that the church is commanded to pass on a revoking of the commandment of go and multiply and replenish the earth at this season, man can not say otherwise.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

[/quote]

To spare them from the sorrows that are to come, for few were capable to stand before the Son of man, sadly most of the world has fallen short, they did not meet the requirements of Faith, Hope and Charity, where not measured as the truly righteous. If you knew what was to come ye would not say as you have spoken. let me show you a scripture.

1 Hearken, O ye people who profess my name, saith the Lord your God; for behold, mine anger is kindled against the rebellious, and they shall know mine arm and mine indignation, in the day of visitation and of wrath upon the nations.

2 And he that will not take up his cross and follow me, and keep my commandments, the same shall not be saved.

3 Behold, I, the Lord, command; and he that will not obey shall be cut off in mine own due time, after I have commanded and the commandment is broken.

4 Wherefore I, the Lord, command and revoke, as it seemeth me good; and all this to be answered upon the heads of the rebellious, saith the Lord.

Behold the Lord God can revoke commandments as he seeth fit in his wisdom, and if a time cometh that the church is commanded to pass on a revoking of the commandment of go and multiply and replenish the earth at this season, man can not say otherwise.
[/quote]

I have a good inkling of what is to come( based on predictions of the future) and still completely disagree with your concept of " don't have children because of the sorrows to come" ... It's good for the soul to experience sorrow , it is good for the soul to experience tribulation, it is good for the soul to experience persecution, of course for Christ's sake.
But quoting that section of the D and C does not by no means bare out your advice...
All of us fall short, and if not for the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ none would be saved, no not one.
Again I will state that IMO, advising not to have children especially to the saints of God is a doctrine of devils...