Compression clothing and temple garments?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jamescm
captain of 100

Compression clothing and temple garments?

Post by Jamescm »

Do any endowed members here wear compression clothing when exercising? Do the garments fit under them, or is it just a case when you take them off?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Compression clothing and temple garments?

Post by brianj »

The counsel I have repeatedly received is to remove garments while exercising.

I don't wear compression clothing so I can't answer further.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 8:33 pm The counsel I have repeatedly received is to remove garments while exercising.

I don't wear compression clothing so I can't answer further.
I don't use or even know about "compression" clothing either.

But I have been told that the garments are to be worn at all times, even gardening. But a former Mission Pres, and other roles in the church.

I wonder how much opinion as opposed to "official" word there is on that.
dc

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

I wear garments while exercising. I made it a rule. I am not going to get caught dead not wearing them. Unless I dropped dead in my bathtub :)

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

We have been directed to wear the garments when we mow the lawn, but we have also been told that it is appropriate to take them off for exercise. I don't wear garments when I wear spandex-type clothing for exercise because wearing the garments would negate any benefits gained from wearing the spandex (moisture wicking, comfort, performance enhancement, etc.). Of course, I only wear spandex for high intensity exercise, and not for things like hiking and definitely not as a fashion choice.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing.

Handbook 2:21.1.42
If it is not reasonable to wear the garment with compression clothing, then don't wear them.

I like what Elder Asay has said about wearing of the garments:
What more needs to be said about the garment and the way it is to be worn and treated? The principles are stated clearly, and it is left to the wearers and their consciences to live accordingly. People of faith need not be commanded in all things for they do not endeavor to excuse themselves in the least point or over the absence of a Mosaic code of conduct.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

LdsMarco wrote: November 29th, 2017, 7:36 am I wear garments while exercising. I made it a rule. I am not going to get caught dead not wearing them. Unless I dropped dead in my bathtub :)
One day I've got to see you swim laps.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

They have been hitting on this a lot lately to counter false ideas going around. We are encouraged to wear them at all times, even exercising, gardening, and other sports activities. The idea is to not come up with reasons not to wear them.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

inho wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:37 am
Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing.

Handbook 2:21.1.42
If it is not reasonable to wear the garment with compression clothing, then don't wear them.

I like what Elder Asay has said about wearing of the garments:
What more needs to be said about the garment and the way it is to be worn and treated? The principles are stated clearly, and it is left to the wearers and their consciences to live accordingly. People of faith need not be commanded in all things for they do not endeavor to excuse themselves in the least point or over the absence of a Mosaic code of conduct.
Also from the handbook:
Members who have made covenants in the temple should be guided by the Holy Spirit to answer for themselves personal questions about wearing the garment.
Also from Brother Asay’s talk:
Endowed members of the Church wear the garment as a reminder of the sacred covenants they have made with the Lord and also as a protection against temptation and evil. How it is worn is an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.
Don’t forget that the word garment is used symbolically in the scriptures and gives expanded meaning to other words such as white, clean, pure, righteous, modesty, covering, ceremonial, holy, priesthood, beautiful, perfection, salvation, undefiled, worthy, white raiment, shield, protection, spotless, blameless, armor, covenants, promises, blessings, respect, eternal life, and so forth. All of these words occupy special places in the vocabularies of people sincerely essaying to become Saints.
Remember always that our very salvation depends, symbolically, upon the condition of our garments. The prophet Alma told the members of the Church in his day that they could not be saved unless their garments were symbolically washed, cleansed, and made white through the blood of Jesus Christ. He taught:

“No man [can] be saved except his garments are washed white; yea, his garments must be purified until they are cleansed from all stain, through the blood of him of whom it has been spoken by our fathers, who should come to redeem his people from their sins. …

“Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?” (Alma 5:21, 27).
The real point of the garment is not whether you wear it or take it off for a particular set of activities. It is the symbolic value. Are we learning the lesson of what it represents? When we receive the reality of what it represents, then we are “wearing” the garment. And our literal wearing will be an outward symbol of our inner commitment.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

brianj wrote: November 29th, 2017, 9:37 pm One day I've got to see you swim laps.
pervert

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

LdsMarco wrote: November 30th, 2017, 9:56 am
brianj wrote: November 29th, 2017, 9:37 pm One day I've got to see you swim laps.
pervert

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

lol

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

After serving a mission in puerto rico where I was constantly drenched in sweat I now find it hard to be in a situation where I feel like I should take them off that doesn't involve some type of water activity.

I have friends that through prayer feel they should take them off on some types of sports like long distance running.

It's between the person and the Lord and one should take it to the Lord. I just find it easier to keep them on if I absolutely can. I think it can be easy to forget the symbolism involved and what defiles a garment.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

We here in the hot dry desert have an entire subset of LDS women who wear yoga pants and tennis outfits all day long. They put them on for "early morning excercise" and then show off by wearing them all the rest of the day.

Stake President even had to come out and say something about it... which put a short dent in such obvious disregard to wearing garments underneath modest clothing, but that only lasted a couple months...

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

A quick Google search about compression clothing leads me to believe there is no measurable advantage to wearing them.
But if you feel strongly about wearng the compression clothing, could you wear garments over them and then loose exercise clothing? My friend had horrible varicose veins and had to wear compression tights all day and simply wore her garments over them.
That gets hot, I know. Just trying to think of solutions if you want to wear both.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

Word has it the church is coming out with new garment style that will be similar to compression cloths. They tried an earlier version for men that were pulled recently, and was a pathetic attempt at a more supportive garment.

I take mine off with heavy excercise or when biking or obviously swimming. Midwest summers in the humidity can suck with most garments, but the covenants I made are more important.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Yahtzee wrote: December 2nd, 2017, 1:20 am A quick Google search about compression clothing leads me to believe there is no measurable advantage to wearing them.
But if you feel strongly about wearng the compression clothing, could you wear garments over them and then loose exercise clothing? My friend had horrible varicose veins and had to wear compression tights all day and simply wore her garments over them.
That gets hot, I know. Just trying to think of solutions if you want to wear both.
There are definite benefits to compression clothing for exercise. It can prevent chafing on both the arms and legs, keep shorts from riding up, allow for easier and unimpeded movement, help you stay dry, etc. It isn't needing for all types of exercise, but it really helps for certain people and certain activities. But it can be overdone. I do see a trend in my area, like mentioned above, for women to wear this stuff for long periods of time either before or after their actual exercise session.