Flat Earth Theory Destroyed by Pres Uchtdorf

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Flat Earth Theory Destroyed by Pres Uchtdorf

Post by brianj »

gclayjr wrote: January 30th, 2018, 2:17 pm Col Flagg,
You don't need to send men to the moon in order to place laser retro-reflectors on it - unmanned craft are perfectly capable of doing that, just ask China and Russia.
So let me get this straight. The moon landing (Which I watched in July of 1969) was a fake, but Russians, and Chinese who have never even claimed to have landed on the moon have secretly landed there.
The Chang'e 3 mission landed a 1,200 kg payload on the moon on 14 December 2013. The lander included a rover named Yutu, which ceased transmitting in March 2015. To my knowledge, the lander is still transmitting.

The China National Space Administration has publicly released many high resolution images from Chang'e 3 and Yutu, which you can find online.

Of course the Chinese lander, the seven successful Soviet Luna landers (including the two Lunokhod rovers), and the five US Surveyor landers did not carry Lunar Ranging Retroflectors that were allegedly part of the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Packages, but don't let that stop anybody.

Col. Flagg, maybe you can explain why pointing a laser at the locations of unmanned landers will not result in reflected laser light, but pointing a laser at the alleged Apollo landing sites will result in returned light.

If some of you want to entertain me, perhaps you will explain why high resolution images from modern lunar orbiters show lunar module descent stages, Lunar Roving Vehicles, ALSEP equipment, tracks in the regolith from people walking, and tracks in the regolith from the LRV wheels. A quick glance at high res images of the Apollo 15, 16, or 17 landing sites will be enough for most people to easily recognize some tracks were made by wheeled vehicles (by the perfectly spaced lines) and others weren't made by wheeled vehicles.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: January 30th, 2018, 9:03 pm Why is it that no one has pointed out the simple fact that a flat disc can rotate, just like a round ball.
To say that the earth rotates says nothing about whether or not it is flat.
A pizza pie can rotate, can it not?
Visit Barrow, Alaska in the second half of June. Stay awake for 24 hours and watch the sun. While you're there, maintain a continuous stream of one of the webcams at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. You will notice the sun never rises on the webcam, but the sun never sets where you are. You will also see the sun goes in a circle around you, coming closer to the horizon at midnight and further from the horizon at noon (because the earth really isn't flat). But, more importantly, you will get something similar to what you would see if the earth really was flat - instead of going up and down, the sun would appear to go in a big circle.

Visit Barrow again six months later. Stay awake for 24 hours again. You'll see the sun doesn't ever rise, but streaming the Amundsen-Scott webcam will show you the sun never sets there.
The problem gclayjr has is that he concludes that, if any person believes one conspiracy theory, they believe them all. And further that anyone who looks at, considers, ponders any conspiracy theory therefore believes that conspiracy theory completely, 100%.
It just isn't like that.
It seems pretty obvious that gclayjr doesn't believe what you claim. It should be mind numbingly obvious if you paid attention to his impossible to misunderstand comment about "find[ing] some common ground and really warn people about real conspiracies."

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: January 31st, 2018, 8:40 pm
David13 wrote: January 30th, 2018, 9:03 pm Why is it that no one has pointed out the simple fact that a flat disc can rotate, just like a round ball.
To say that the earth rotates says nothing about whether or not it is flat.
A pizza pie can rotate, can it not?
Visit Barrow, Alaska in the second half of June. Stay awake for 24 hours and watch the sun. While you're there, maintain a continuous stream of one of the webcams at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. You will notice the sun never rises on the webcam, but the sun never sets where you are. You will also see the sun goes in a circle around you, coming closer to the horizon at midnight and further from the horizon at noon (because the earth really isn't flat). But, more importantly, you will get something similar to what you would see if the earth really was flat - instead of going up and down, the sun would appear to go in a big circle.

Visit Barrow again six months later. Stay awake for 24 hours again. You'll see the sun doesn't ever rise, but streaming the Amundsen-Scott webcam will show you the sun never sets there.
The problem gclayjr has is that he concludes that, if any person believes one conspiracy theory, they believe them all. And further that anyone who looks at, considers, ponders any conspiracy theory therefore believes that conspiracy theory completely, 100%.
It just isn't like that.
It seems pretty obvious that gclayjr doesn't believe what you claim. It should be mind numbingly obvious if you paid attention to his impossible to misunderstand comment about "find[ing] some common ground and really warn people about real conspiracies."
To put it simply, no. And no.
dc

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

brianj,
The Chang'e 3 mission landed a 1,200 kg payload on the moon on 14 December 2013. The lander included a rover named Yutu, which ceased transmitting in March 2015. To my knowledge, the lander is still transmitting.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't aware of this. But as you pointed out, this more makes my point rather than disproves it.
Yes,

Regards,

George Clay

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

My gut feeling is the flat earth theory is a conspiracy theory not true thrown in with other conspiracies that are true to throw a wrench in the conspiracy movement.

I can mention a conspiracy theory at the grocery store like what satanic messages will be in the superbowl half time show, or what evil is the government up to, and I am understood. I remember being so scared to tell my best friend my views on vaccines when she told me first that she didn't vaccinate her kids. I thought I was the only person who believed in chemtrails. Turns out 3 of my neighbors knew exactly what I was talking about.

So, someone has to put lies out there because there are other conspiracies that are true and people are figuring it out.

Did you notice Ted Cruz was going to fight Trump even though he had no chance of winning until someone implicated his dad in the JFK assassination? Boy did he sit down fast after that.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Juliet wrote: February 1st, 2018, 6:46 am My gut feeling is the flat earth theory is a conspiracy theory not true thrown in with other conspiracies that are true to throw a wrench in the conspiracy movement.

I can mention a conspiracy theory at the grocery store like what satanic messages will be in the superbowl half time show, or what evil is the government up to, and I am understood. I remember being so scared to tell my best friend my views on vaccines when she told me first that she didn't vaccinate her kids. I thought I was the only person who believed in chemtrails. Turns out 3 of my neighbors knew exactly what I was talking about.

So, someone has to put lies out there because there are other conspiracies that are true and people are figuring it out.

Did you notice Ted Cruz was going to fight Trump even though he had no chance of winning until someone implicated his dad in the JFK assassination? Boy did he sit down fast after that.

A guy is driving around the back woods of Montana and he sees a sign in front of a broken down shanty-style house: 'Talking Dog For Sale.'

He rings the bell and the owner appears and tells him the dog is in the backyard.

The guy goes into the backyard and sees a nice looking Labrador Retriever sitting there.

"You talk?" he asks.

"Yep" the Lab replies.

After the guy recovers from the shock of hearing a dog talk, he says, "So, what's your story?"

The Lab looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping, I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running... but the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals. I got married, had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired."

The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.

"Ten dollars" the guy says.

"Ten dollars? This dog is amazing! Why on Earth are you selling him so cheap?"

"Because he's a liar. He's never been out of the yard."

dc

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

The Book of Mormon guarantees conspiracy. So I trust it's out there. I just don't have much confidence in any particular theory, just a general openness; I've always been like this, as far as I can recall. But the flat earther's have ensured I have a much higher degree of skepticism than I used to.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

David13 wrote: January 30th, 2018, 3:03 pm
OCDMOM wrote: November 29th, 2017, 6:35 pm If the earth was flat, all the cats would have pushed everything over the edge. Ha Ha.
Just what kind of comment is that supposed to be?
dc
Laughing.gif
Laughing.gif (645 Bytes) Viewed 493 times
ROFL.gif
ROFL.gif (10.7 KiB) Viewed 493 times