Longest period of an unfilled postion of the 12?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Longest period of an unfilled postion of the 12?

Post by gardener4life »

So...I was curious what people think about this.

What is the longest period of time (in our dispensation) for a seat on the 12 to be vacant? It was an odd situation where one seat became empty right at a conference so it couldn't be addressed during that conference. And the timing of why it happened I wonder what people felt about it. Did people get impressions about this?

(I hope this isn't sacrilegious to ask. It seemed like an interesting question to me. I am aware that it doesn't really matter what we think, but only what the Lord thinks.)

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: Longest period of an unfilled postion of the 12?

Post by Durzan »

Maybe there is someone that the Lord is trying to put a specific someone in as an Apostle... someone the GA's may or may not know about and they keep putting in others...? I don't know.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Longest period of an unfilled postion of the 12?

Post by brianj »

I don't know if it's the longest, but John F Boynton was disfellowshipped on September 3, 1837, three apostles were excommunicated in April and May of 1838, and David W Patten was killed in October 1838. John Taylor and John E Page were ordained on December 19, 1838. Therefore, in regards to Boynton's seat, the seat was vacant for one year, three months, two weeks, two days.

You can find a full chronology of quorum members at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronolog ... DS_Church)