Simple Truth is best

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Simple Truth is best

Post by gardener4life »

I was thinking about something today to share with all of you.

Have you noticed that you feel the spirit the same when you read simple scriptures compared to a bigger doctrine? Actually I would even argue for me personally I feel the Spirit stronger when the story is kept simple. A simple story of resisting evil, or like when you watch really simple messages about family can be really wonderful. It feels very wholesome.

But yet you can feel the Spirit less when you are focusing on things you don't understand or some big topic. Keep it simple.

I thought I should comment on this. People are trying to focus so much on arguing the doctrine that they are missing the simple stuff. We are encouraged to stay simple for a reason. Here's an example...today I was listening to the children's stories from the book of mormon, and children's stories version of the Bible. I was impressed by how strong the Spirit is on something that is meant for children. You can listen to them on youtube with people reading it too...like this one, although it's for Spanish haha (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_GOVLyn-8E). The simpleness lets us focus on what we need and just feeling good. It's feeling close to God that makes us grow strong. And we get closer to God by feeling him and his answers more than interpretting some forceful agenda of trying force the doctrine our way.

We don't need to focus on arguing doctrine or trying to prove things to others. Just keep it simple and focusing on what feels good to us personally. We don't need to worry about others. And another way of thinking too, we don't need to come up with our own interpretations but just let the Spirit fill in the answer. We'll get better answers if you let the Spirit teach you naturally before you try to force your own will on it. Too many people are doing this and that's why they are coming up with weird ideas. Let Heavenly Father give you what you need and just focus on listening.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: Simple Truth is best

Post by diligently seeking »

It is never good to put the cart before the horse.

However, It is vital *vital* we understand and do something about this expression: Where much is given much is expected. As we receive God's words / blessings we should desire to receive a greater portion of God's word / blessings. That is one of the reasons why as a church we learn in d&c 84 weare still under condemnation...

Satan is a master at lulling us away and helping us to feel all is well in our personal Zion yea we have comfort and prosper.

I've always value these words by incredibly faithful member Truman G Madsen:

“Said the Prophet Joseph Smith after one of the most revelatory meetings in his life, “There was nothing made known to these men [the Twelve] but what will be made known to all the Saints of the last days, so soon as they are prepared to receive” (Teachings, p. 237). This is the religion of every man. Not “Take my word for my experience,” but “Duplicate it in your own life.” How far do I go with this? All the way.

Let me then come to a close. I have hiked, with my wife and at night, all the way from the base of what is known as Mt. Sinai to the top. (Incidentally, with a very sore toe. Climbing hurts, and the more you climb, sometimes the more it hurts.) We went up to where the air is thinner and the veil thinner. There isn’t time to describe the feeling, but we were able to recollect that Moses, there, had face-to-face communion with God. He came back down and said to the children of Israel, in the name of the God whose name he knew, “Now, you are invited to go back up with me.”

And they said, “Thank you. No. That’s for prophets. That’s for people who are a bit fanatical. We will stay here and you go up, Moses.”

In his absence they built an idol. The power of religious impulses goes in many directions. They built an idol—a thing—and were denied the privileges of Moses (D&C 84:23–25). That is what our generation is now doing again. We are staying down below and then claiming superiority for our judgment in doing so.” Truman G. Madsen, On How We Know, BYU Devotional Address, Sept. 20, 1994

Alma 12:

9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.

10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

Let's be believing and like Christ grow line upon line precept upon precept here there a little... As members of the restoration we are meant to rise above the comforts of being on the ground and be yoked to Christ and soar like eagles...

Isaiah 40:

9 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.

30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:

31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Truly studying and applying the truths of the Book of Mormon is so key to our growth development and miraculous desired for ascent...

Too often we don't heed this amazing man's inspired advice when it comes to necessary growth in this our probationary existence:

Mosiah 2
And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view.

When we follow this admonition we too similarly receive as king Benjamin's people received. moving forward to receive a greater portion of God's word (once we are born of god) happens naturally and wonderfully and in a powerfully desired way.

Tried-and-true moralistic traditions and culture with in a religion etc can and does bring comfort.

As recipients of the restoration Our comfort and joy needs to grow through the increasingly brightness of hope that comes through being redeemed through Jesus Christ. This path to Growing discipleship is not without tugs and pulls that are necessary which come from Life circumstances that hopefully encourages a broken heart and contrite spirit.

Again as we read the book of mormon with a new heart and new mind and push away false narratives and interpretations and repent of our unbelief always *always* our expectations will be exceeded... Don't be afraid of lift off...

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I like it - the simpler the better! This is why I love going to Gospel Principles class, and when I’ve worked in the primary. I think some members think of it as childish or only for new converts - but to me it is more spiritually filling than diving into trivial complex (aka controversial) doctrine!

Maybe it’s partly because the spirit works more through symbols and basic kind of right-brain ways. A friend gave me some of the best advice: if you want to feel the spirit - just focus intentently on something you’re grateful for. Pretty simple.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Paul declared simply,

" One Lord, one faith, one baptism."

Jesus Christ taught with simplicity,

" Come follow me."

Pure and simple truths.

Great thread gardner4truth!

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

This scripture tells of the reasons for prophets and apostles, and although Jesus taught simply, he was not a simple person. The time comes in your personal relationship with God that you reach further than you did yesterday - until you reach the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. As long as you are reaching and following, he will lead you where you need to go. You might be surprised where that is.

Ephesians 4
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;