Faith vs. Works vs. Restoration

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
silk
captain of 50

Faith vs. Works vs. Restoration

Post by silk »

I've noticed a disconnect as many on the forum try to talk to each other. I think in some cases it's the same problem that people faced in the time of the Christian Reformation. As I've been studying documents from that time period, I've found some correlations, and I think addressing them might help us to get on the same page.

At the time of the Reformation, the Catholic Church was corrupt. They used their spiritual power in political ways, such as overthrowing nations, expanding land holdings with soldiers, and excommunicating kings along with all of their subjects. They were also doing things such as withholding half the sacrament from the people (giving them only the bread), not teaching about faith as a principle, and selling indulgences (basically allowing people to "buy repentance" for some sins). Their focus was on their 7 sacraments (basically their version of saving ordinances) that they taught only came through the church. Without those, they taught the people would be damned. With them, they taught the people would be saved.

Their main flaw was teaching that receiving the ordinances from the church was enough to save people.

Now enter the Reformation. Many individuals saw the abuses of the Catholic Church, and that changes were needed. Martin Luther tried to point out the problems and get the church to reform, but it excommunicated him instead. So now he was on his own. He didn't have any keys (in all honesty, neither did the Catholic Church), but he knew that baptism was still required. What was he going to do now? His solution seemed to be to make everything contingent on faith. The people would still baptize, even without authority, relying on God to give them authority because of their faith.

Their main flaw was teaching that, if they just had enough faith, it would overcome the lack of keys and that God would honor the ordinances anyway -- here, and in the next life.

Eventually, though, we got the Restoration. With it, God put everything back into its proper place. It wasn't an either/or problem -- faith or works. The solution was not either/or but and -- we need both faith and works -- both principles and ordinances. I think Joseph Smith makes this very clear in the Articles of Faith 4-6.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Faith and works together. Principles and ordinances both required for salvation. Faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
To administer in the ordinances, you need laying on of hands by those who are in authority (meaning who have the keys).
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
This organization is all about getting both keys and truth down to the people so they can be taught and receive saving ordinances in all parts of the world.

In summation:

If your argument is that ordinances (with keys) are all that are required for salvation, you are wrong.
If your argument is that you need no keys at all, but faith will make up the difference for salvation, you are wrong.
The answer is that both are needed.

I believe that the life of Jesus Christ shows this very plainly. Although he lived a sinless life, He still needed to be baptized by one who held the priesthood keys.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: Faith vs. Works vs. Restoration

Post by diligently seeking »

3nephi 11

20 And the Lord commanded him that he should arise. And he arose and stood before him.
21 And the Lord said unto him: I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people when I am again ascended into heaven.
22 And again the Lord called others, and said unto them likewise; and he gave unto them power to baptize. And he said unto them: On this wise shall ye baptize; and there shall be no disputations among you.
23 Verily I say unto you, that whoso repenteth of his sins through your words, and desireth to be baptized in my name, on this wise shall ye baptize them—Behold, ye shall go down and stand in the water, and in my name shall ye baptize them.
24 And now behold, these are the words which ye shall say, calling them by name, saying:
25 Having authority given me of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

When keys are in full force with church leaders do they look act and function like the prophet seer and revelator Joseph Smith did? Joseph Smith had zero rough drafts bringing forth the Book of Mormon. We were told in recent general Conferance that one of our leaders had 40 rough drafts of his talk written before narrowing it down to his delivered speech. (Im not trying to be petty or a jerk with this example) honest exploration my way.

There are so many amazing resources through the restoration that will bless our lives and yoke us to Jesus Christ. Leaders when they are inspired by the holy ghost is one of them.

There was treachery and a diminishment of light and Truth in the ancient Church in the Church in Joseph's Day there has been in our day time... However, God's "standard truth" Joseph Smith said will roll forth until such truth has penetrated every continent reached every climb visited every person and the great Jehovah shall say the work is finished." In that Zion setting / Millennial day how great it will be... scriptures speak clearly how this will happen.