Life course

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Irrelevant
captain of 100

Re: Life course

Post by Irrelevant »

HappyCamper8 wrote: November 14th, 2017, 9:51 am I've always been taught this concept growing up. I've spent 30-ish years of trying hard to fulfill all callings, multiple callings at times, (You'd be surprised to know me and what my callings have been and what it currently is) reading scriptures or at least listening every day, always pray everyday, morning, night, throughout the day. If I'm honest with myself, I'm not sure I've ever felt any correlation with this stuff and feeling it's all true. Many times through my life, I began to think I must be pretty wicked. At one point in my life, I began to fear maybe I am a son of perdition since the Heavens are always silent toward me, but seems to be available for everybody else. Everybody around me all talk about their experiences of coming to a point where they "had to know" and worked hard and bam, they had the spirit confirm. I've spent many nights "working hard" at getting some type of confirmation. Not sure anything has ever happened in terms of confrimation, at least I don't think I recognize it.

All this time, I've always decided to just keep plugging along as if I actually had confirmation, hoping this would constitute some faith that it would come some day. I'm afraid, I may be coming to my breaking point. I'm starting to think that others may be saying they have confirmation in an attempt at showing faith as well. Not sure what to think anymore. I know, I know, I've heard it here before. I'm sinning. I'm not trying hard enough. I'm not reading the scriptures enough. I'm not magnifying my calling enough. etc. etc. I don't think it's that simple anymore.

As I have looked to some in the scriptures, I have realized, many who were NOT keeping the commandments had "impressive" experiences with the divine. I could list them, but I'm sure if you think through them, you will find them.
Please don't feel that way! You are right to believe that it's not that simple- it never was that way. It's not about doing something enough (studying, praying, serving, etc, etc). Those who tell you that misunderstand. God won't love you more if you pray one more time or love you less because you only did 50% home teaching last month.

D&C 18:15 Comes to mind:
And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

I don't mean this in the sacrament talk-like "the one soul is you" sort of way. Rather, it shows me that sometimes it is given to us to labor all of our days for something. That may not comfort you much, the prospect of fighting the rest of your life for confirmation. You seem to believe or at least want to believe that "it's all true", as you put it. This opens an entirely different topic, but I don't think you have to believe as others believe. I certainly do not. There are so many differing opinions even among prophets and apostles on different aspects of the Gospel that it's hard to really say what "it" all even is.

I would hardly call a person wicked or a son of perdition who has spent thirty years earnestly seeking confirmation of the Gospel. I would say that that in itself seems like a spiritual gift, at least to me. Not many people would labor as you have.

I feel like I rambled and I apologize but I guess what I'm trying to get across is that while most of us have the same goal, none of our journeys will look exactly the same. Please do not feel inferior because you haven't experienced what others claim to have experienced. Not all of them are true. And if we are honest, most of us would admit that we struggle, even after that confirmation.

HappyCamper8
captain of 50

Post by HappyCamper8 »

Thanks Irrelevant, that means a lot. Hopefully you can see why my thoughts begin to go here... "maybe I've tried the experiment long enough" and "maybe I need to be trying a different experiment at this point".

Most likely that won't happen, but the fact I won't try a different experiment, does that mean I don't have real intent anyway? Makes me wonder if a person isn't willing to cut bait, they probably don't have real intent. Who knows.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

HappyCamper8 wrote: November 28th, 2017, 10:40 am Thanks Irrelevant, that means a lot. Hopefully you can see why my thoughts begin to go here... "maybe I've tried the experiment long enough" and "maybe I need to be trying a different experiment at this point".

Most likely that won't happen, but the fact I won't try a different experiment, does that mean I don't have real intent anyway? Makes me wonder if a person isn't willing to cut bait, they probably don't have real intent. Who knows.
I was thinking recently how beautiful the Sacrament prayers are. You can read them in the Scriptures, D&C, Book of Mormon, etc.

How much of those its amazing, are just thinking focus on loving the Savior and loving Heavenly Father, and appreciating them. I would invite you to think about this. It's so powerful. Don't think so much on doctrine and the rules of the church. Instead think of the loyalty, and Christ as a real person in your life. Think of the love he has for you, and how much you also love him. And do this while thinking about the words in the Sacrament (And while trying to renew with the Lord that you will try to be more obedient). (Do this also while listening to humble simple hymns, and you will be shocked what you feel.)

Do this often.

It will really change your life.

I think when people get into a rut they aren't doing this and are focusing too much on stuff like trying to measure the walls of Jerusalem or Kolob. Instead just think of the simple love a child has for their parents and do it as above. It will be OK. It gets better.