Who was this voice Johnny Ramone heard?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
justkeepswimming
captain of 100

Who was this voice Johnny Ramone heard?

Post by justkeepswimming »

Johnny became tough and domineering, like his father. He became scary even to himself. In his autobiography, Commando, Johnny wrote, "I had been on a streak of bad, violent behavior for two years. I was just bad, every minute of the day." He recalled hauling discarded TV sets to the tops of apartment buildings and dropping them near people on the street. He threw bricks through windows, simply to do it, and he also strong-armed people. "Then all of a sudden," Johnny wrote, "one day everything changed. I was twenty. I was walking down the block, near my neighborhood ... and I heard a voice. I don't know what it was, God maybe ... It asked, 'What are you doing with your life? Is this what you are here for?' It was a spiritual awakening. And I just immediately stopped everything. It was all clear-cut right then." http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... s-20160519

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Who was this voice Johnny Ramone heard?

Post by kittycat51 »

Elder Russel Nelson at a close family friends funeral talked about "parenting beyond the veil". Most people think that the promptings, voice warnings, etc we receive are always attributed to the still small voice. Not so! The Holy Ghost's task is to testify. (of Christ) In Johnny's case, I'll bet it was a family member. Most people believe in guardian angels. More than likely these angels are family members on the other side tasked with truly watching over, guiding, warn and prompting us. Thus Elder Nelson's "Parenting beyond the veil" remarks makes sense to me.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

kittycat51 wrote: November 10th, 2017, 6:00 pm Elder Russel Nelson at a close family friends funeral talked about "parenting beyond the veil". Most people think that the promptings, voice warnings, etc we receive are always attributed to the still small voice. Not so! The Holy Ghost's task is to testify. (of Christ) In Johnny's case, I'll bet it was a family member. Most people believe in guardian angels. More than likely these angels are family members on the other side tasked with truly watching over, guiding, warn and prompting us. Thus Elder Nelson's "Parenting beyond the veil" remarks makes sense to me.
The covenants of baptism as laid out in Mosiah 18 are essentially the duties of the Holy Ghost
.. To witness and to comfort. Those covenants do not cease beyond the veil and the veil likely does not stop these covenants in action from traversing the veil.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

alaris wrote: November 10th, 2017, 11:06 pm
kittycat51 wrote: November 10th, 2017, 6:00 pm Elder Russel Nelson at a close family friends funeral talked about "parenting beyond the veil". Most people think that the promptings, voice warnings, etc we receive are always attributed to the still small voice. Not so! The Holy Ghost's task is to testify. (of Christ) In Johnny's case, I'll bet it was a family member. Most people believe in guardian angels. More than likely these angels are family members on the other side tasked with truly watching over, guiding, warn and prompting us. Thus Elder Nelson's "Parenting beyond the veil" remarks makes sense to me.
The covenants of baptism as laid out in Mosiah 18 are essentially the duties of the Holy Ghost
.. To witness and to comfort. Those covenants do not cease beyond the veil and the veil likely does not stop these covenants in action from traversing the veil.
Alma 34:33
I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

mcusick wrote: November 10th, 2017, 11:14 pm
I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.
Labor is performed beyond the veil - you just can't improve your time in this life when your life is over.

Did Jesus not perform labor between his death and resurrection?

Is the gospel not also preached to them that are dead?

Do angels not minister from beyond the veil to us?
1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

alaris wrote: November 11th, 2017, 12:18 pm
Labor is performed beyond the veil - you just can't improve your time in this life when your life is over.

1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
I agree, Alma got a ton of things wrong. The MTC also taught me that Alma and the angel who taught him were teaching false doctrine in Alma 40:11 ("Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life"). I made a big deal out of it, so they talked to me privately and basically said the Book of Mormon (Alma and his angel source) were wrong and I would have to teach the new and improved correct LDS teaching. Further revelation is beautiful. I'm glad we know more about the happenings "behind the veil" than angels.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

mcusick wrote: November 11th, 2017, 12:54 pm
alaris wrote: November 11th, 2017, 12:18 pm

I agree, Alma got a ton of things wrong. The MTC also taught me that Alma and the angel who taught him were teaching false doctrine in Alma 40:11 ("Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life"). I made a big deal out of it, so they talked to me privately and basically said the Book of Mormon (Alma and his angel source) were wrong and I would have to teach the new and improved correct LDS teaching. Further revelation is beautiful. I'm glad we know more about the happenings "behind the veil" than angels.
Well this scripture is certainly correct:
And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ. ~ Moroni