We seek after these things...

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
True
captain of 100

We seek after these things...

Post by True »

I don't know how God does it but there is absolutely no substitute for the scriptures. God has written some books through the instrumentality of his servants and he would like us to read them. When we make a sincere study of them magic happens - the spirit enters in, God's grace descends and change begins. The two vehicles that have led me to Christ have been consistent scripture study and purposeful prayer. The third has been to follow the instruction I get when my mind has been opened by the means of study and prayer.
That being said, I want to tell you about the books that I have been reading lately that have opened my mind to the goodness of other people and the goodness of the Lord to them. Many chronicle their walks with God and have been so inspirational and uplifting and has shown me that it is possible to come unto Christ in a very real way. It has also shown me to that those who put their trust in Christ will be uplifted and strengthened unto the accomplishing of much good. I have also learned that God truly is no respecter of persons and that although he heads only one church, he has people in every denomination and walk of life and he is into details. He is the King of King and Lord of Lords.

Here is the list of books I have read in the last 6 -7 months or so:

Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose
This book chronicles the missionary service of Darlene and her husband to the Dutch East Indies. The stories of missionary work among the native people are amazing and then Japan seizes control and they get even more amazing. Her knowledge of the scriptures put me to shame as I read how the Lord constantly communicated to her through her memorized scripture verses. Her humility and trust in the Lord was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I can't tell you how uplifting this book is. 5 spiritual stars

The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken
This book chronicles the missionary life of a couple from Kentucky. After spending 6 years doing humanitarian work in Somalia, they had to leave pretty much due to the fact that almost every single Christian had been killed. They left with a faith crisis wondering if God really could do his own work. He decided to go and interview Christians in parts of the world where there was extreme persecution and find out how they successfully managed it so that he could help those like the saints in Somalia deal with persecution. What he got was some incredible stories of the goodness and mercy of God to his persecuted saints across the world. 5 spiritual stars

The Heavenly Man
This is about a man named brother Yun from China who discovers the Lord in his teens and cannot be constrained from declaring him. It is unlike anything you have ever read. He is jailed 7 times and suffers much for his testimony of Jesus. His humility and obedience to the Lord are inspirational. I am purposefully not revealing much because I want you to experience this book as I did. 5 spiritual stars

God's Double Agent: The true story of a Chinese christian's fight for freedom by Bob Fu
This book is about a young man who participated in the Tienamen Square protest. His subsequent social shunning sent him reeling and humbled him enough to be receptive to the message of Christ. It chronicles his missionary efforts and eventual jailing and escape from the clutches of the communist party. 4.5 spiritual stars

Divine Collision: An African Boy, An American Lawyer and their remarkable battle for freedom by Jim Gash
This book is about an african boy that was wrongfully imprisoned for murder and kept in jail for two years without even a hearing. All the while he was praying to God for help. An attorney was led by a missionary to offer his services to children in the prisons of Uganda. You can see the hand of the Lord guiding and helping all the way. Truly inspirational. 4.5 spiritual stars

Killing Christians: Living the Faith Where Its Not Safe to Believe by Tom Doyle
This book is about the persecutions and trials of muslim born christians. Doyle tells the stories of different christians in the middle east. From a review: "stunning, breathtaking stories that display the majesty and beauty of Christ against the darkest of backdrops. You will love, weep and pray fervently for each beautiful person whose story you hear. Books like these are vital for us western christians..."
This book was so compelling. At the end they issue a challenge to pray for persecuted Christians every evening at 8:38. So I have set my alarm and have never quite experienced the immediate coming of the spirit when I kneel to pray for God's children who suffer for the sake of our Lord. 5 spiritual stars

The Autobiography of George Mueller by George Mueller
George Mueller is a former sinner turned true convert to the Lord. Born in 1805 in Germany, he eventually embarks in service to the Lord in Britain. He throws his whole soul into the service of the Lord and of course, the spirit and miracles abound. His description of how to follow the spirit in all things is second to none. He refuses to be paid for his services and only relies on the goodness of the Lord. Having tried the goodness of God and found him a true and a good master, he decides to establish and orphanage to help the orphans of Bristol. He decides to do this without soliciting any funds for this venture but relying solely on the mercies of the Lord. His second motivation is the taking care of the poor as he sees the desperate need, his primary motivation however, is to chronicle the experiment to let the world know the goodness and faithfulness of the Lord in doing his work. Amazing. 5 spiritual stars (you have to work up to this one, don't start here. It is so fabulous but it is from his journal so some parts are not as compelling but is still a must read!!)

Running for My Life: one lost boys journey from the killing fields of Sudan to the olympic games by Lopez Lomong
This is the story about a boy who was kidnapped while at church service at age 6 by rebels to train as a soldier. The hand of the Lord and his simple pure faith follows him through the story. From his escape of the prison, assisted by three "angels" to his time in the refugee camp in Kenya to his olympic experience. You will love it. 4.8 spiritual stars

Little Princes: One man's promise to bring home the lost children of Nepal
This is the story of an average beer drinking single young American who goes to Nepal to assuage is 1st world guilt and to be able to tell girls how sensitive he is. His experience changes him and he ends up trekking across Nepal finding parents of these children who have been trafficked. I can't tell you everything or I will ruin it for you but it is funny, down to earth and up lifting. How much good can an average guy do? And I mean really average - and so much good. What does the Lord have planned for you? 4.8 spiritual stars, 5 regular stars - you know what, it is the gospel in action so I’m giving it 5 stars all around!

God’s Smuggler by brother Andrew
This is the book about the redemption of a Dutch man and his reliance upon God to smuggle bibles behind the iron curtain. This is an amazing story of full reliance on the Lord. Truly a primer on following the spirit of the Lord and letting God direct your life. I can’t explain how absolutely fabulous this book is. Amazing, amazing, amazing. A must read. This along with the Darlene Diabler Rose are my absolute favorites of the list. Followed by the Heavenly Man, Killing Christians and the Insanity Of God. Actually just read them all, they all have different good qualities. 5 spiritual stars

That is a lot of books, I know - but people - AUDIBLE. It is worth every penny. Need to clean your house? Driving across town? Seriously, there are some good books out there! My next installment will be awesome uplifting biographies because it never ceases to amaze me what God can do with people! (Just realizing that except for two, these are all autobiographes)

Ok, that's my contribution. Any one else have any uplifting, good, bring you nearer to God books? I'm always on the look out!

Happy reading!
Last edited by True on November 9th, 2017, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepswimming
captain of 100

Re: We seek after these things...

Post by justkeepswimming »

That's a great list, thanks for taking the time to compile it.

My favorite non-scripture book is Les Miserables. There's a really short book I read a long time ago called acres of diamonds that had a profound impact on how I viewed my search for God.

Thanks again for the list. I have a lot to read now :)
True wrote: November 9th, 2017, 5:31 pm
That is a lot of books, I know - but people - AUDIBLE. It is worth every penny. Need to clean your house? Driving across town? Seriously, there are some good books out there! My next installment will be awesome uplifting biographies because it never ceases to amaze me what God can do with people! (Just realizing that except for two, these are all autobiographes)

Ok, that's my contribution. Any one else have any uplifting, good, bring you nearer to God books? I'm always on the look out!

Happy reading!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

True wrote: November 9th, 2017, 5:31 pmAny one else have any uplifting, good, bring you nearer to God books? I'm always on the look out!
A couple of my favorites are The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. Her other books are excellent and inspiring, as well - Tramp for the Lord, and Amazing Love. https://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Place-Cor ... C2SDQBJ106

Also, A Tale of Two Cities ("greater love hath no man...") by Charles Dickens - https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Two-Cities- ... two+cities

Anything and everything by C.S. Lewis.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Jks, I started reading Les Miserables and got to the battle of Waterloo and was so fascinated, I stopped reading that book and picked another about that battle. I need to read it again!
EmmaLee, so funny you mentioned Tramp For the Lord! My brother-in-law just recommended that book to me:) Guess it’s time to read it. The Hiding Place is a personal favorite. I haven’t read A Tale of Two Cities, have read only good quotes from C. S. Lewis.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Just finishing another good book called Miracle on Voodoo Mountain by Meagan Boudreaux. About an American girl who, after visiting, is guided back to Haiti by the Lord and tries to figure out why she is there. She discovers the many problems the children face and starts to help against overwhelming obstacles. The Lord even grants her the gift of tongues for her work (because somehow, she never learned Haitian Creole!). Super good. (Had a 4 hour drive to visit my parents, got a good book in)