John Wesley quote

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

John Wesley quote

Post by drtanner »

It’s not hard to see why Jospeh Smith had an affinity towards the Methodist sect, good folks. Love this by John Wesley the founder:

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”
John Wesley

When is the last time we have learned something from those not of our faith or been inspired to change in some way for the good? Sometimes I’m guilty of not listening well enough or taking the opportunity to be blessed by the goodness or life experience of others. For fun I told my kids I wanted them to join in on an experiment with me and learn at least one thing from someone before they could commence trying to share one of their own experiences or truths with them. Eye opening experience. It was interesting the questions it forces you to ask and the listening that has to take place in order to actually learn something from someone else.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: John Wesley quote

Post by diligently seeking »

Very cool. I'm of the opinion that there will be just as many or probably many more of our fellow Christians in Zion then just we Mormons. What I'm about to write I dont write it to be smug, rude or a jerk. Our convictions and love of Jesus comes up pretty short compared to many of our brothers and sisters of different Christian faiths. We have so many resources to increase our relationship and Devotion to Jesus. Yet this fast and testimony meeting was much like many I've attended. 95% adoration and expressions of gratitude for our Prophet who can show the way who knows the way and 5 to 10% similar adoration to Jesus who is the way the truth the life and the only reason and way we can return to the father.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Just for balance, I don't believe our prophet was mentioned at all today in sacrament meeting, but our Savior was, and often.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Good quote. Coincidentally, someone mentioned this idea in testimony and we discussed it after church. I think implied is the need to study and pray what is really good... to not just love, but love effectively.

justkeepswimming
captain of 100

Post by justkeepswimming »

I like this quote and your idea.

I have found so much inspiration from, of all places, Les Miserables' story about Jean val Jean. I think the story of justice and mercy between him and Javert, and then between Marius and Jean val Jean is pure God speaking through Victor Hugo.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

justkeepswimming wrote: November 5th, 2017, 5:41 pm I have found so much inspiration from, of all places, Les Miserables' story about Jean val Jean. I think the story of justice and mercy between him and Javert, and then between Marius and Jean val Jean is pure God speaking through Victor Hugo.
I like that story too.

The song, "Who am I" - is a universal question we all ask: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcCFHZOUV6k

I especially am moved by the idea of Jean val Jean coming from such background - then coming to be a good dad and so protective that he initially hated the guy for trying to get to his daughter. But then, he put aside his pride - to do what was best for his daughter - and praying for the guy he previously wanted nothing to do with.

I like this version of that song, "Bring him home": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYnhVITf9E

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

justkeepswimming,
I have found so much inspiration from, of all places, Les Miserables' story about Jean val Jean. I think the story of justice and mercy between him and Javert, and then between Marius and Jean val Jean is pure God speaking through Victor Hugo.
From the book or the musical?

Did you find much inspiration in long ramblings about the battle of Waterloo, or the history of Convents (Petit-Picpus) and Monasteries and other ramblings? Did you enjoy how long it took Victor Hugo to describe the Jean Valjean's on and off decision to go to Paris and reveal himself?

I did find some good jewels in "Les Miserables", but you do have to sift though a whole lot of crap to find it.

Regards,

George clay

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Hahaha! People are so different. I was so intrigued by his “ramblings” of the Battle of Waterloo that I stopped reading Les Miserables to read a different book about that battle!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

There is a quote from John Wesley at the entrance to the London Museum, where he describes a wonderful warm feeling in his bosom that he received after praying. As I recall, this was accompanied by the idea to start an organization devoted to helping the needy and poor, and he felt it was a revelation from God.

Hence, the start of the Methodist Church.

Of course, it reminded me of Doctrine and Covenants 9:8 : "But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right."

And the lesson is that these experiences are not confined to LDS members.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Ah, the musical is concise, well done, and memorable, but it does leave out some fun stuff. It's been a long time, but what I liked in the book that you don't find in the musical was the fact that after Valjean decided to turn his life over to God, he went and immediately failed and found himself again in sin. It teaches us much about the repentence process as a process.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Crackers,
Ah, the musical is concise, well done, and memorable, but it does leave out some fun stuff. It's been a long time, but what I liked in the book that you don't find in the musical was the fact that after Valjean decided to turn his life over to God, he went and immediately failed and found himself again in sin. It teaches us much about the repentence process as a process.
I haven't seen the musical, but I do agree that that was a good, interesting point in the book. As a historical buff, I didn't mind the ramblings on Waterloo, although I was annoyed by all of the ramblings on the history of Cloisters and monasteries. I also found that Victor Hugo often takes pages and pages to get through simple, obvious plot points.

I don't deny that it is an interesting story that has a good message. Just think it is a prime candidate for a good condensed, or digest version.

Regards,

George Clay

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Crackers wrote: November 5th, 2017, 3:04 pm Just for balance, I don't believe our prophet was mentioned at all today in sacrament meeting, but our Savior was, and often.
Same here.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote: December 5th, 2017, 7:21 am
Crackers wrote: November 5th, 2017, 3:04 pm Just for balance, I don't believe our prophet was mentioned at all today in sacrament meeting, but our Savior was, and often.
Same here.

Me too.
Well, I mean that Jesus Christ was much mentioned. More so than Thomas S Monson. But President Monson was mentioned.
dc

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

gclayjr wrote: December 5th, 2017, 7:06 am Crackers,
I haven't seen the musical, but I do agree that that was a good, interesting point in the book. As a historical buff, I didn't mind the ramblings on Waterloo, although I was annoyed by all of the ramblings on the history of Cloisters and monasteries. I also found that Victor Hugo often takes pages and pages to get through simple, obvious plot points.

I don't deny that it is an interesting story that has a good message. Just think it is a prime candidate for a good condensed, or digest version.

Regards,

George Clay
I agree with you. His story was gold, but he took too long to tell it. Fortunately, the musical adaptation made at least the basic story widely available to those who wouldn't have digested it in book form.

justkeepswimming
captain of 100

Man, I love those songs. I think Victor Hugo wrote a masterpiece about achieving personal redemption through empathy. It was just brilliant, like the example you give about JVJ's evolving relationship with Cosette, how he was Fantine's savior for taking in Cosette, then JVJ had to learn to let go of her after learning to love and have empathy for Marius. Just a brilliant piece of literature. I might be labeled sacrilegious for saying this, but it's pure scripture to me. Right up there with the ideas presented in the gospel of John.
Thinker wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 5:55 pm
justkeepswimming wrote: November 5th, 2017, 5:41 pm I have found so much inspiration from, of all places, Les Miserables' story about Jean val Jean. I think the story of justice and mercy between him and Javert, and then between Marius and Jean val Jean is pure God speaking through Victor Hugo.
I like that story too.

The song, "Who am I" - is a universal question we all ask: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcCFHZOUV6k

I especially am moved by the idea of Jean val Jean coming from such background - then coming to be a good dad and so protective that he initially hated the guy for trying to get to his daughter. But then, he put aside his pride - to do what was best for his daughter - and praying for the guy he previously wanted nothing to do with.

I like this version of that song, "Bring him home": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYnhVITf9E

justkeepswimming
captain of 100

I'm referring to the book and yes, I loved the ramblings, or maybe more accurately, I learned to love them the more I read. It was confusing at first, but I started to love the minutiae, the huge historical backstories, the agonizingly crazy detailed description of JVJ's thoughts, it's like VH articulated the maze of thoughts we all have before a big decision, but somehow made it readable.

I've heard there is a condensed book that cuts out that stuff. I'd recommend all of it if time permits.
gclayjr wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 6:09 pm justkeepswimming,
From the book or the musical?

Did you find much inspiration in long ramblings about the battle of Waterloo, or the history of Convents (Petit-Picpus) and Monasteries and other ramblings? Did you enjoy how long it took Victor Hugo to describe the Jean Valjean's on and off decision to go to Paris and reveal himself?

I did find some good jewels in "Les Miserables", but you do have to sift though a whole lot of crap to find it.

Regards,

George clay