Holy wow!'-------this is wonderful stuff

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Holy wow!'-------this is wonderful stuff

Post by diligently seeking »

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: Holy wow!'-------this is wonderful stuff

Post by Alaris »

*tear*

The best line was about how we desire justice because we are created in God's image. This has always been the biggest counter argument to atheists - if we were not created but descended from monkeys then why do we feel sorry for others? Why do we desire justice? Why do we deliver mercy?

The spirit was very powerful near the end for all of those who accepted his invitation to come unto Christ.
Last edited by Alaris on October 25th, 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

alaris wrote: October 25th, 2017, 4:41 pm *tear*

The best line was about how we desire justice because we are created in God's image. This has always been the biggest counter argument to atheists - if we were not created but descended from monkeys then we do we feel sorry for others? Why do we desire justice? Why do we deliver mercy?

The spirit was very powerful near the end for all of those who accepted his invitation to come unto Christ.

Amen to what you shared...

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

The best line was about how we desire justice because we are created in God's image. This has always been the biggest counter argument to atheists - if we were not created but descended from monkeys then why do we feel sorry for others? Why do we desire justice? Why do we deliver mercy?

That counter argument won't convince your average Atheist with a scientific viewpoint. Rather, they would just say that such feelings are an instinctual and societal adaptation to allow for the overall survival of the clan. Only the spirit can break through to an Atheist, and it would have to do so in such a way where it testifies of the truth in a non-emotional way... if the Atheist gets an emotional response from the spirit, then they will dismiss it as an appeal to emotion.
Last edited by Durzan on October 25th, 2017, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Durzan wrote: October 25th, 2017, 6:11 pm

That counter argument won't convince an Atheist. Rather, they would just say that such feelings are an instinctual and societal adaptation to allow for the overall survival of the clan.
Of course they say that, but we all know better. The light of Christ is inherent - anyone with a child can tell you this. Shame is not learned it's inherited from our divinity. Instinct will only take the argument so far - for anything you can get away with would be built into our instinct, but those are the behaviors that must be learned to condition away our conscience to take us past feeling.

DNA is a better argument. Scientists use it to prove evolution by showing that fetuses look the same for different mammals at an early stage of development and how the frog's DNA even is so close to our own. The problem with this silly argument is they're basically making DNA a sentient God itself - that through a process of whoopsy mutation and trial and error the extremely complex DNA instruction manuals are writing themselves over time. Preposterous.

Atheism is willful self delusion - and I think the interviewer in the video demonstrates that wonderfully. To look at all the evidence of God and say it's all nothing or an explosion takes a great deal more faith and suspension of disbelief. The delusion is so these people can cling on to their own religion and sins. Atheism is a religion - religion is an organized institution with tenets and leaders who believe in a higher power. Atheists check all those boxes and their higher power is expressed as nature but the facade gives way to their actual higher power - themselves. They want no God and therefore deny his existence. You can watch several of these souls melt away as the interviewer tells them why they choose to deny God's existence. Knowing God's existence is inherent in all of us.
Last edited by Alaris on October 25th, 2017, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

alaris wrote: October 25th, 2017, 6:13 pm

That counter argument won't convince an Atheist. Rather, they would just say that such feelings are an instinctual and societal adaptation to allow for the overall survival of the clan.
DNA is a better argument. Scientists use it to prove evolution by showing that fetuses look the same for different mammals at an early stage of development and how the frog's DNA even is so close to our own. The problem with this silly argument is they're basically making DNA a sentient God itself - that through a process of whoopsy mutation and trial and error the extremely complex DNA instruction manuals are writing themselves over time. Preposterous.
Yeah, that wouldn't really work either. Macro Evolution is based entirely on random mutations in DNA being weeded out through natural selection, the environment, and other factors over a long time period (millions of years), resulting in many different animal groups and species each uniquely adapted to their environment.

As stated, best not to engage in logical debates with Atheists and focus on trying to bring the spirit instead.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Durzan wrote: October 25th, 2017, 6:19 pm
alaris wrote: October 25th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Yeah, that wouldn't really work either. Macro Evolution is based entirely on random mutations in DNA being weeded out through natural selection, the environment, and other factors over a long time period (millions of years), resulting in many different animal groups and species each uniquely adapted to their environment.

As stated, best not to engage in logical debates with Atheists and focus on trying to bring the spirit instead.
That's what was great about this video - the feeling the interviewer exudes is one of love and invitation - not "gotcha" or contention. Something we can all learn from. :)

The scientist he sat down with who brought up snowflakes - he should have retorted with the fact that beauty itself is an evidence of God - and that God is the ultimate mathematician. Why would some things look beautiful to us and other things ugly? How is that instinct a product of evolution?

The snowflake doesn't detract from DNA but reinforces DNA. There is a math wiz behind all of the creation.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

NDEs have converted atheists, such as Dannion Brinkley.

"Statistical data indicate that near-death experiencers, as opposed to those who have been near to death but recall no NDE, tend very clearly to become more religious after their return" (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... ggest.html).

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

I have a reprint of the journal from the father of evolution--- Charles Darwin. It's pretty amazing; he states with Incredible clarity that the moment he discovered that there was not intelligent design and that he was absolutely sure that we evolved from the monkey--- he states with amazing clarity at that very moment all the things that brought him pleasure and joy in this life: great music and artwork and the theater and beautiful landscapes Etc----- that such things not only were not appealing but the word he uses was that they made him nauseous. This man of great intellect and influence'--- it was shocking how as you read in his journal he doesn't draw the conclusion that quite possibly this was a sign from Heaven helping him to realize that he had snuffed out the light and goodness of God with his conclusions / promotion that would influence billions of people negatively in their Eternal progress...

Alma 30:
...believest thou that we deceive this people, that causes such joy in their hearts?
36 And Korihor answered him, Yea...
44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

JaredBees wrote: October 25th, 2017, 9:18 pm I have a reprint of the journal from the father of evolution--- Charles Darwin. It's pretty amazing; he states with Incredible clarity that the moment he discovered that there was not intelligent design and that he was absolutely sure that we evolved from the monkey--- he states with amazing clarity at that very moment all the things that brought him pleasure and joy in this life: great music and artwork and the theater and beautiful landscapes Etc----- that such things not only were not appealing but the word he uses was that they made him nauseous. This man of great intellect and influence'--- it was shocking how as you read in his journal he doesn't draw the conclusion that quite possibly this was a sign from Heaven helping him to realize that he had snuffed out the light and goodness of God with his conclusions / promotion that would influence billions of people negatively in their Eternal progress...
Could you point me to this quote? I have never heard of it or seen it. I like Darwin. He's a hero of mine.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

In the Book of Mormon the argument of Atheism and no Christ was to justify their sins. So even if you use pure reasoning with them, the temptation to go to their old life is still there. Why? Because they want to justify that its OK to continue in sinful delusions and illusions that corrode their spirit as they pursue pleasure over reason.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

mcusick wrote: October 26th, 2017, 10:18 am
JaredBees wrote: October 25th, 2017, 9:18 pm I have a reprint of the journal from the father of evolution--- Charles Darwin. It's pretty amazing; he states with Incredible clarity that the moment he discovered that there was not intelligent design and that he was absolutely sure that we evolved from the monkey--- he states with amazing clarity at that very moment all the things that brought him pleasure and joy in this life: great music and artwork and the theater and beautiful landscapes Etc----- that such things not only were not appealing but the word he uses was that they made him nauseous. This man of great intellect and influence'--- it was shocking how as you read in his journal he doesn't draw the conclusion that quite possibly this was a sign from Heaven helping him to realize that he had snuffed out the light and goodness of God with his conclusions / promotion that would influence billions of people negatively in their Eternal progress...
Could you point me to this quote? I have never heard of it or seen it. I like Darwin. He's a hero of mine.

Pg # 443 " in their own words" compiled by Randall Gibbons. Gramercy books.

toward the end of his explaining how these former pleasures and desires left him he said:

"...my mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding general laws out of large collections of facts, but why these should have caused the atrophy of that part of the brain alone, on which the higher tastes depend, I cannot conceive..."

Also important to note I heard his explanation that this page # goes into about the dulling of his senses many many times before I discovered it on my own from an Institute teacher at uvsc a man by the name of Jack Christianson. I recall him saying the Darwin mentioned around the time that he put together the "Origin of Species" book with his concrete conviction that we evolved and that it was not the result of an intelligent designer Is when the gifts that help to make life tolerable etc are taken from him. This page number with Darwin's writings bare that out. In rereading I realize that I was wrong when I said that it was specifically around the time that he acknowledged the validity of his research. Again you fully gather that it is traced to this very "time frame" in which he published "Origins of Species" that these gifts were taken from him '---quite amazing that he couldn't put two and two together and recognize the why. Book of Mormon gives us the answer "when you do not understand God's dealings for you" even when evidence is strong / irrefutable that he lives etc (lawman and lemuel) unless we are independently converted ----knowledge even empirical / observable knowledge does not take hold...

Take it to the bank / make no mistakes we will always lose to the master of deception if we are not anchored to Jesus Christ...

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

I listened to the whole thing and enjoyed it. To me, it testified of the reality of God and His love for us. But did anyone else think it odd that he could find so many atheists who were so willing to openly listen and think about what he was saying? And then agree so readily? I don't think I've ever met someone who was so willing to change their beliefs so easily. Were these live interviews with people he just met in passing, or are these actors?

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Good questions. No doubt there was solid editing. The video production was super fluid. My personal belief is that being Father and Mother in heavens kids we all desire a reason to hope to believe. When a true disciple of Jesus offers that hope / power of heaven to a non believing child of heavenly parents often the results are what was seen in the video.

Peter 3:
15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

h_p wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:26 pm I listened to the whole thing and enjoyed it. To me, it testified of the reality of God and His love for us. But did anyone else think it odd that he could find so many atheists who were so willing to openly listen and think about what he was saying? And then agree so readily? I don't think I've ever met someone who was so willing to change their beliefs so easily. Were these live interviews with people he just met in passing, or are these actors?
College campus plus likely hundreds if not thousands of attempts.... If they were actors I still felt the spirit strongly. That would be quite a feat in and of itself.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

alaris wrote: October 26th, 2017, 4:08 pm College campus plus likely hundreds if not thousands of attempts.... If they were actors I still felt the spirit strongly. That would be quite a feat in and of itself.
Yes, I felt it, too. I hope I'm not coming across as critical. Just skeptical, I guess, that what I was watching was real. The things he said were powerful to me, though. Biology, and DNA especially, is a strong testimony to me of an intelligent Creator. The guy put things in perspective, how this whole world was made by God for the sole purpose of giving His children a place to grow. It reminded me of one of the chapters in "Approaching Zion," where Hugh Nibley described how all the things in our solar system were set just right for life to flourish on this earth.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

JaredBees wrote: October 26th, 2017, 11:32 am
mcusick wrote: October 26th, 2017, 10:18 am

Pg # 443 " in their own words" compiled by Randall Gibbons. Gramercy books.

toward the end of his explaining how these former pleasures and desires left him he said:

"...my mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding general laws out of large collections of facts, but why these should have caused the atrophy of that part of the brain alone, on which the higher tastes depend, I cannot conceive..."

Also important to note I heard his explanation that this page # goes into about the dulling of his senses many many times before I discovered it on my own from an Institute teacher at uvsc a man by the name of Jack Christianson. I recall him saying the Darwin mentioned around the time that he put together the "Origin of Species" book with his concrete conviction that we evolved and that it was not the result of an intelligent designer Is when the gifts that help to make life tolerable etc are taken from him. This page number with Darwin's writings bare that out. In rereading I realize that I was wrong when I said that it was specifically around the time that he acknowledged the validity of his research. Again you fully gather that it is traced to this very "time frame" in which he published "Origins of Species" that these gifts were taken from him '---quite amazing that he couldn't put two and two together and recognize the why. Book of Mormon gives us the answer "when you do not understand God's dealings for you" even when evidence is strong / irrefutable that he lives etc (lawman and lemuel) unless we are independently converted ----knowledge even empirical / observable knowledge does not take hold...

Take it to the bank / make no mistakes we will always lose to the master of deception if we are not anchored to Jesus Christ...
When I decided I should go on a mission, I felt extremely disengaged from all sorts of music and other entertainment I used to find interesting. I deleted some of my favorite albums from my computer. I didn't know why . . . until now. It was a sign from God that I had made a horrible mistake.

That being said, I don't consider Darwin a spiritual authority. But I think loss of interest in the arts is not akin to loss of the Spirit. I used to love reading fiction, but I haven't purchased or read fictional books in years. I think this life/reality is more exciting and more important than fiction. I think Darwin probably experienced something similar.

I also think that Darwin's faith was probably a victim to false doctrine. I respect Bart Ehrman's New Testament scholarship, but Ehrman admits that he lost his faith by discovering the New Testament texts had been altered because he had believed in the infallibility of the Bible. I already believed the New Testament was altered (in part, informed by the Book of Mormon), so when I was confronted by the textual variants in the Bible, my faith in God and Christ wasn't shaken. Darwin was taught young earth creationism (as many in the evangelical Christianity) and when he found evidence that it wasn't true, he lost his faith. Alfred Wallace, the other father of evolution, did not limit himself to the exclusively materialist view of the world and did not believe that accepting evolution necessitated rejecting God.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

This telestial existence / vale of sorrows as it is additionally described in the BofM is in great need for inspired moral interjections of help for us to wade through its morass. The page # I referred to explains Darwin's lament at what used to bring him joy and pleasure does not anymore. I witness--- according to the "spirit we list to obey" we will yield its respective fruit. Darwin ---took God out of the equation for making sense of the origin of people's of planet earth. He progressively became past feeling with the features / blessings of heaven that help us to endure operation second estate / planet earth. Those who choose to walk by faith and righteousness grow in the certainty of knowledge that God and Jesus are the way the truth and the light / life. They glory in the wonder and rejoice the reality of this great fruit of faith / order being revealed...

2Nephi 2

Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.
26 And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.
27 Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.

Matthew 6
25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

1Nephi 11
21 And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw?

22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.

23 And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul.

Ether 12
And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

2nephi 9
27 But wo unto him that has the law given, yea, that has all the commandments of God, like unto us, and that transgresseth them, and that wasteth the days of his probation, for awful is his state!

28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.

29 But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.

John widstoe a member of the first presidency and a renound scientist himself said this:

"It is a paradox that men will gladly devote time every day for many years to learn a science or an art; yet will expect to win a knowledge of the gospel, which comprehends all sciences and arts, through perfunctory glances at books or occasional listening to sermons. The gospel should be studied more intensively than any school or college subject. They who pass opinion on the gospel without having given it intimate and careful study are not lovers of truth, and their opinions are worthless.” — John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, p. 16-17

What a blessing it is to gravitate and then embrace divine impulses / clear exalting realities of this fallen world / mortal probation.

Revelation 3
20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

We are created from God's image (the form of our Spirits, which our bodies look like). But you can't conflate evolution/darwinism with atheism. The two are not the same thing. There are plenty of people that believe in God that are evolutionists. Because our bodies, NOT our spirits, do happen to have monkeys as some of our progenitors, which has nothing to do with us spiritually.

I personally am glad that there is a process of creating bodies that makes sense, from lower forms and through horizontal gene transfer. This actually makes more sense than coming from dirt. And it makes sense that dirt is the symbol for the lower forms that our bodies come from, as the elements (dirt, water, etc.) are the materials in those bodies assembled through a long process, and dirt is also the place where many of those lower forms live. The October 2016 New Era now puts the Church's actual position on evolution in perspective.

Those of you that don't believe in Evolution might malign it, but it is entirely separate from the proposition that there is a God. It is neither atheistic nor theistic. It is a beautiful process that has nothing to do with our spirits. It only has to do with our bodies, and how those bodies are "earthy."

It doesn't take away from the fact that Adam was a son of God literally either, because his descendants apparently intermarried with the pre-Adamites (i.e. those humans that emerged from this evolutionary process that were here before Adam). It is their bodies that originated this way, not Adam's body. However, Adam's body, being a descendant of resurrected bodies of Heavenly Parents, is actually the same thing anyway, because the same process ultimately created Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother's bodies on THEIR planet anyway. We have hybridization of human forms from multiple worlds, but all, ultimately originated from an evolutionary process, world to world, worlds without end.

Therefore, I challenge you guys not to malign evolution, but to be in awe of it, and thankful for it, as a divinely-ordained and designed process of creation.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Ed, I appreciate the multiple layers of depth that form your convictions on aspects of the discussion that's going on... Fact remains however, and the video etc bares it out---- where God is taken out of the equation from gaining hope through a belief in receiving grace / help here and an eternal reward in the life to come---- such hope etc is diminished or nonexistent. The Plan of Redemption through our blueprint / scriptures tell us that we are created in the image of God. God is manifested to us through this core belief. Again the video etc bares this out. Promises made to the seed of Adam which later became the Seed of Abraham hang their hat on this core belief and see the fruits of Heaven through such convictions... No doubt brother Ed --we see through a glass darkly. So many amazing truths will and can in the here and now be made available and will be made available to us in the life to come. Conversion proceeds the revealing of these truths in both settings. The vital question remains what information should be promulgated that will inturn offer hope unto salvation through Jesus Christ? Once we are converted to Christ the Journey of his Mysteries being revealed begins in more earnest... Otherwise too often God's kids miss the mark put the cart in front of the horse etc...
Last edited by diligently seeking on October 27th, 2017, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

EdGoble wrote: October 27th, 2017, 8:32 am

We are created from God's image (the form of our Spirits, which our bodies look like). But you can't conflate evolution/darwinism with atheism. The two are not the same thing. There are plenty of people that believe in God that are evolutionists. Because our bodies, NOT our spirits, do happen to have monkeys as some of our progenitors, which has nothing to do with us spiritually.

I personally am glad that there is a process of creating bodies that makes sense, from lower forms and through horizontal gene transfer. This actually makes more sense than coming from dirt. And it makes sense that dirt is the symbol for the lower forms that our bodies come from, as the elements (dirt, water, etc.) are the materials in those bodies assembled through a long process, and dirt is also the place where many of those lower forms live. The October 2016 New Era now puts the Church's actual position on evolution in perspective.

Those of you that don't believe in Evolution might malign it, but it is entirely separate from the proposition that there is a God. It is neither atheistic nor theistic. It is a beautiful process that has nothing to do with our spirits. It only has to do with our bodies, and how those bodies are "earthy."

It doesn't take away from the fact that Adam was a son of God literally either, because his descendants apparently intermarried with the pre-Adamites (i.e. those humans that emerged from this evolutionary process that were here before Adam). It is their bodies that originated this way, not Adam's body. However, Adam's body, being a descendant of resurrected bodies of Heavenly Parents, is actually the same thing anyway, because the same process ultimately created Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother's bodies on THEIR planet anyway. We have hybridization of human forms from multiple worlds, but all, ultimately originated from an evolutionary process, world to world, worlds without end.

Therefore, I challenge you guys not to malign evolution, but to be in awe of it, and thankful for it, as a divinely-ordained and designed process of creation.
There is a reason there is a missing link. Google up the seven deadly heresies by Bruce R. Our bodies did not evolve from monkies.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

“Human beings can't make an eye from nothing.” Nor can a book be made from nothing but apparently God can do it.

I can look at the evidence and I can see that a baby is formed by a natural process. It doesn't require the parts of a baby to fall out of the sky and come together in just the right order. It happens without a human being intelligently instructing it. What evidence is there that an intelligent being is directing the creation of babies, animals, the earth, etc?

A book cannot procreate. For all our so-called intelligence, we can't create something that can create other things like themselves. We can't create things that heal. We can't create things that grow or experience emotions. And for some reason we feel we can use those unintelligent things as examples to prove that an intelligent being created the things that do procreate, heal, grow, and feel emotions.

This video depends on there being an ultimate beginning. There has to be a beginning of the world. There has to be a first man. There has to be a first tree, a first bird, a first fish, etc. We can see in our world that everything does have a beginning. Babies have a beginning and eventually they come to an end. But no baby that we know of has come from nothing.

High powered telescopes have seen the “birth” of stars, which is a natural process. New stars are naturally made of older stars. Baby trees come from parent trees. Baby animals come from parent animals. It's only unintelligent objects that don't have a parent that naturally and spontaneously created it. It's only dead things like books and computers and picture frames that have a beginning that didn't originate with a parent.

So what if there was no ultimate beginning? What if our world wasn't created like a book is created but born like a baby is born? What if it was populated by beings, animals, and vegetation that already existed?

I don't merely believe in the existence of God. I know God exists. But as I've explored the God I was taught to believe in in my youth, I've discovered that there are a lot of things taught about “God” that simply aren't true. We human beings for some reason are so dead set on making God like us instead of searching out God and exploring the truth about God. We want a God who thinks and makes decisions like we do. And yet our power is so incredibly limited. Why would God be like us?

I think that the person in this video may be wasting his energy and talents trying to tear down others instead of living up to the principles of the book he regards so highly. I don't think he really understands most of the things he is talking about. Has he died and came back? Does he know there is a life after death? Does he know how judgment is determined after this life? He doesn't. But he is talking as though he knows for certain all the things he said are true.

I think that we need to accept atheists the way they are and consider their perspective with open minds. I believe if we did we would have a much better idea of who God is and be better people overall.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Meili wrote: October 27th, 2017, 9:30 pm “Human beings can't make an eye from nothing.” Nor can a book be made from nothing but apparently God can do it.

I can look at the evidence and I can see that a baby is formed by a natural process. It doesn't require the parts of a baby to fall out of the sky and come together in just the right order. It happens without a human being intelligently instructing it. What evidence is there that an intelligent being is directing the creation of babies, animals, the earth, etc?

A book cannot procreate. For all our so-called intelligence, we can't create something that can create other things like themselves. We can't create things that heal. We can't create things that grow or experience emotions. And for some reason we feel we can use those unintelligent things as examples to prove that an intelligent being created the things that do procreate, heal, grow, and feel emotions.

This video depends on there being an ultimate beginning. There has to be a beginning of the world. There has to be a first man. There has to be a first tree, a first bird, a first fish, etc. We can see in our world that everything does have a beginning. Babies have a beginning and eventually they come to an end. But no baby that we know of has come from nothing.

High powered telescopes have seen the “birth” of stars, which is a natural process. New stars are naturally made of older stars. Baby trees come from parent trees. Baby animals come from parent animals. It's only unintelligent objects that don't have a parent that naturally and spontaneously created it. It's only dead things like books and computers and picture frames that have a beginning that didn't originate with a parent.

So what if there was no ultimate beginning? What if our world wasn't created like a book is created but born like a baby is born? What if it was populated by beings, animals, and vegetation that already existed?

I don't merely believe in the existence of God. I know God exists. But as I've explored the God I was taught to believe in in my youth, I've discovered that there are a lot of things taught about “God” that simply aren't true. We human beings for some reason are so dead set on making God like us instead of searching out God and exploring the truth about God. We want a God who thinks and makes decisions like we do. And yet our power is so incredibly limited. Why would God be like us?

I think that the person in this video may be wasting his energy and talents trying to tear down others instead of living up to the principles of the book he regards so highly. I don't think he really understands most of the things he is talking about. Has he died and came back? Does he know there is a life after death? Does he know how judgment is determined after this life? He doesn't. But he is talking as though he knows for certain all the things he said are true.

I think that we need to accept atheists the way they are and consider their perspective with open minds. I believe if we did we would have a much better idea of who God is and be better people overall.

"For this is life eternal to know god and Jesus Christ whom he has sent"

Verily verily I say unto you what manner of men ought you to be even as I am"

." Let us here observe that three things are necessary for any rational and intelligent being to exercise faith in God unto life and salvation.

3. First, the idea that he actually exists;

4. Secondly, a correct idea of his character, perfections, and attributes;

5. Thirdly, an actual knowledge that the course of life which one is pursuing is according to His will. For without an acquaintance with these three important facts, the faith of every rational being must be imperfect and unproductive. But with this understanding, it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness unto the praise and glory of God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

JaredBees wrote: October 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm
Meili wrote: October 27th, 2017, 9:30 pm “Human beings can't make an eye from nothing.” Nor can a book be made from nothing but apparently God can do it.

." Let us here observe that three things are necessary for any rational and intelligent being to exercise faith in God unto life and salvation.

5. Thirdly, an actual knowledge that the course of life which one is pursuing is according to His will. For without an acquaintance with these three important facts, the faith of every rational being must be imperfect and unproductive. But with this understanding, it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness unto the praise and glory of God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."
Lecture six
Having treated, in the preceding lectures, of the ideas of the character, perfections and attributes of God, we next proceed to treat of the knowledge which persons must have, that the course of life which they pursue is according to the will of God, in order that they may be enabled to exercise faith in him unto life and salvation.
Let us here observe, that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation; for from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things: it was through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life; and it is through the medium of the sacrifice of all earthly things, that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God. When a man has offered in sacrifice all that he has, for the truth's sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice, because he seeks to do his will, he does know most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering, and that he has not nor will not seek his face in vain. Under these circumstances, then, he can obtain the faith necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life.
Do you know for yourself that he actually exists?
Do you have a correct knowledge of his attributes?
Do you have a knowledge that the course you are pursuing is according to God's will?

According to lecture six, it is necessary to sacrifice all earthly things in order to gain this knowledge, so finally, have you sacrificed all earthly things?

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Meili wrote: October 27th, 2017, 9:58 pm
JaredBees wrote: October 27th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Lecture six
Having treated, in the preceding lectures, of the ideas of the character, perfections and attributes of God, we next proceed to treat of the knowledge which persons must have, that the course of life which they pursue is according to the will of God, in order that they may be enabled to exercise faith in him unto life and salvation.
Let us here observe, that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation; for from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things: it was through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life; and it is through the medium of the sacrifice of all earthly things, that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God. When a man has offered in sacrifice all that he has, for the truth's sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice, because he seeks to do his will, he does know most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering, and that he has not nor will not seek his face in vain. Under these circumstances, then, he can obtain the faith necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life.
Do you know for yourself that he actually exists?
Do you have a correct knowledge of his attributes?
Do you have a knowledge that the course you are pursuing is according to God's will?

According to lecture six, it is necessary to sacrifice all earthly things in order to gain this knowledge, so finally, have you sacrificed all earthly things?

Yes

Yes

Yes

33 Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

I have seen his face...