Foundations of Faith

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
inho
captain of 1,000

Foundations of Faith

Post by inho »

In the April 2017 General Conference, Elder Quentin L. Cook gave a talk, which raises some interesting questions (Foundations of Faith).

Elder Cook mentions the seer stones and asks what their purpose was:
We know something of the process and instruments he used in that translation. In that first 1830 printing, Joseph included a short preface and simply and clearly declared it was translated “by the gift and power of God.” What about the aids to translation—the Urim and Thummim, the seer stones? Were they essential, or were they like the training wheels on a bicycle until Joseph could exercise the faith necessary to receive more direct revelation?
In his talk, Elder Cook does not give a direct answer to his question.

Later, he mentions a story from the Gospel of Luke. In this story, a woman believes that if she can just touch the border of Savior's garment, she could be healed. She does that and is instantly healed.
“And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.”

The root word for virtue could easily be interpreted as “power.” In Spanish and Portuguese, it is translated as “power.” But regardless, the Savior did not see her; He had not focused on her need. But her faith was such that touching the border of the garment drew upon the healing power of the Son of God.

As the Savior said to her, “Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.”

I have contemplated this account all my adult life. I realize that our personal prayers and supplications to a loving Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ can bring blessings into our lives beyond our ability to comprehend. The foundations of faith, the kind of faith that this woman demonstrated, should be the great desire of our hearts.
Elder Cook says that we should desire to have that kind of faith. But why? What should we learn from the story? Clearly, it is not the garment of Savior that healed the woman. She had faith in Jesus and that is the reason she was healed. However, the woman really believed that the act of touching was important. She didn't just have faith in Christ, but she had faith in Christ and she believed she had to touch the garment. Only after touching she was healed.

Why does the Lord let us have this kind of beliefs? Why didn't Jesus teach her that the act of touching the border of the garment was unnecessary. Instead, Jesus seems to endorse her belief.
Why did Joseph Smith need the seer stones?

Are there things in our life that might be unnecessary but the Lord let us think that are necessary instruments? Where to draw the line between the false belief in relics or occult practices and the belief of the woman who touched the garment of Jesus?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Foundations of Faith

Post by Arenera »

inho wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 9:04 am In the April 2017 General Conference, Elder Quentin L. Cook gave a talk, which raises some interesting questions (Foundations of Faith).

Elder Cook mentions the seer stones and asks what their purpose was:
We know something of the process and instruments he used in that translation. In that first 1830 printing, Joseph included a short preface and simply and clearly declared it was translated “by the gift and power of God.” What about the aids to translation—the Urim and Thummim, the seer stones? Were they essential, or were they like the training wheels on a bicycle until Joseph could exercise the faith necessary to receive more direct revelation?
In his talk, Elder Cook does not give a direct answer to his question.

Later, he mentions a story from the Gospel of Luke. In this story, a woman believes that if she can just touch the border of Savior's garment, she could be healed. She does that and is instantly healed.
“And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.”

The root word for virtue could easily be interpreted as “power.” In Spanish and Portuguese, it is translated as “power.” But regardless, the Savior did not see her; He had not focused on her need. But her faith was such that touching the border of the garment drew upon the healing power of the Son of God.

As the Savior said to her, “Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.”

I have contemplated this account all my adult life. I realize that our personal prayers and supplications to a loving Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ can bring blessings into our lives beyond our ability to comprehend. The foundations of faith, the kind of faith that this woman demonstrated, should be the great desire of our hearts.
Elder Cook says that we should desire to have that kind of faith. But why? What should we learn from the story? Clearly, it is not the garment of Savior that healed the woman. She had faith in Jesus and that is the reason she was healed. However, the woman really believed that the act of touching was important. She didn't just have faith in Christ, but she had faith in Christ and she believed she had to touch the garment. Only after touching she was healed.

Why does the Lord let us have this kind of beliefs? Why didn't Jesus teach her that the act of touching the border of the garment was unnecessary. Instead, Jesus seems to endorse her belief.
Why did Joseph Smith need the seer stones?

Are there things in our life that might be unnecessary but the Lord let us think that are necessary instruments? Where to draw the line between the false belief in relics or occult practices and the belief of the woman who touched the garment of Jesus?
3 And now, after that, they have all dwindled in unbelief;

he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed;

11 But he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit

he that will not believe my words will not believe me

13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I believe these talks work well together. Nice find!

The Price of Priesthood Power

Drawing the Power of Jesus Christ into our Lives

The Power of the Book of Mormon

Foundations of Faith
But the performance is based upon years of preparation and practice. One well-known writer, Malcolm Gladwell, has called this the 10,000-hour rule.

Spiritual guidance is received when needed, in the Lord’s time and according to His will.3

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Maybe relics can be crutches or tools to help faith. I really do believe we walk & do all we do by faith - including Atheists. But most of the time it’s easy to believe because it’s something familiar we’ve had experience with before. When it’s something new - and we don’t have a bunch of fellow believers supporting our hope, it’s just us, it can be harder to exercise faith.

I imagine that Joseph Smith was aware of the inevitable evil that creeps into church groups. One of the 1st things God told Joseph was to not join any churches - that “they were ALL wrong...all their creeds were an abomination.. they draw near to me with their lips but their hearts are far from me...” So while Joseph began organizing a church, he probably saw some of those problems or potential for such problems- yet he also saw the need to establish a church - to help develop souls - as imperfectly as it will.

“There must needs be opposition in ALL things.” Testing never lets up in this life. Even beautiful spiritual symbols like sacrament can be focused too much on so that that which the symbol represents is ignored. And yet, often the sacred approach to symbols like sacrament is what helps in exercising faith and feeling spiritually close to God. But again, if you stick too much to one idea of a symbol, you kind of damn (hold back) yourself from learning more. You can see the tension or opposition between utilizing faith tools to grow... & missing the mark by focusing too much on the sign rather than what it represents.