Re: How do we know our ordinances are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
awaketozion
captain of 10

Post by awaketozion »

Elder Eyring talked about this in 2012, but I don't think he fully answered OP's question.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... t?lang=eng

The best explanation I've been able to find is here:

"Perhaps what we have been discussing should be understood in a different context than the one we normally use. What if instead of viewing it as a description of something outside or external, you view it as something internal or inside you. Perhaps the kingdom of heaven is within us after all. (Luke 17: 21.)

From that vantage point can it be said:
-If you ignore the presence of this Spirit you still receive the Holy Spirit, or Light of Christ because that is what allows you to live, move, breathe and exist. It is a gift from God to everyone.
-If you allow this Spirit to enter into your thoughts from time to time you "receive" the Holy Ghost within you. It has affected your thoughts. It has been "received" into your conscience.
-If you allow this Spirit to continually guide you, then you have the "gift" of the Holy Ghost. It has become your companion.
-If you open yourself to receive the visions of heaven, and behold the Father and Son, then you have received the Holy Spirit of Promise.

This last Holy Spirit of Promise is given its name because when you have received the Father and the Son you become Their child of Promise, the inheritor of all the Father has, a member of His family. To reject this, as Joseph described it, is to deny the sun at noon day. For to have been given the Holy Spirit of Promise you have seen God and received from Him a Promise. [There is always more to a subject, but for the present, I'll leave it there.]"

The above quote is from a relatively lengthy set of blog posts but I think it is enough to get what he’s trying to explain.
Last edited by awaketozion on October 22nd, 2017, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

Simply ask The Lord and He will tell you. If the answer is no, He will tell you what you need in order for it to take place.