Modern Missionary Work

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Modern Missionary Work

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 7:39 am
JohnnyL wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 9:28 pm Another word of warning: 2 Nephi 12:7 Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of horses, neither is there any end of their chariots.
Even lamer. You're good at one thing: Taking scripture and quotes out of context.
What, you disagree with the prophet Brigham Young? Do you disagree with the scriptures?

Shall I continue? You're doing the same thing and worse, so I figured since you seem to like it so much, I'd return the favor. :twisted:

And believe me, there are a whole lot more scriptures about the evils of silver and gold than energy healing.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

JohnnyL wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 8:59 am
JohnnyL wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 9:28 pm Another word of warning: 2 Nephi 12:7 Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of horses, neither is there any end of their chariots.
Even lamer. You're good at one thing: Taking scripture and quotes out of context.
What, you disagree with the prophet Brigham Young? Do you disagree with the scriptures?

Shall I continue? You're doing the same thing and worse, so I figured since you seem to like it so much, I'd return the favor. :twisted:

And believe me, there are a whole lot more scriptures about the evils of silver and gold than energy healing.
OK, I see you lost your ability to reason by doing too many energy healing sessions. I'll leave you alone from now on.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Be a friend first, and forever.

-Finrock

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Silver wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 9:54 am
JohnnyL wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 8:59 am

OK, I see you lost your ability to reason by doing too many energy healing sessions. I'll leave you alone from now on.
Appreciate both of your comments on the thread and hope you continue to post, just asking for a favor. Would you mind keeping the energy healing thoughts on a pm or separate thread? Just hoping to keep the inspirational thoughts on missionary work headed in the right direction.

Still have yet to hear of anyone finding success with modern missionary work. Do you know of anyone that has the same zeal for the sharing the gospel like those in the BOM?

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

JohnnyL wrote: October 20th, 2017, 10:50 pm Almost none anymore, other than service.

I am so ticked at the numbers game and drive, I can't do it anymore. I could relate negative experience after negative experience, and very few positive ones.

I tried.
Don't "try." Just be there, and be natural. I have come to realize that missionary work is something that no matter what anyone says, you have to do on your own terms. If you do it that way, suddenly the Lord's hand will begin to be manifest in it. I am happy to talk to people and invite them, but I like to do it when it makes sense, and when it feels right to me. I'm not going to do what anyone tells me to do, high or low, unless I feel that it is the right time personally to speak to someone about it. If a conversation naturally turns that way, I will be more than happy to do it, but I refuse to be pushed into unnatural situations, regardless of who is pushing me. I will not insist on weirdly turning a conversation to a gospel subject with someone I just meet, just to unnaturally get somebody to commit to hearing the missionaries. If it is really true that "divine rendezvous" are set up by the Lord (which they are when they are truly set up), then the conversations will naturally turn too as a result of being "set up" by the Lord.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Half of my family is Catholic-- active and faithful. I have written my life story as a "Book of Remembrance" and shared it with them. We are all accepting of each other. Well, on my Dad's side, which is ironic in light of much dysfunction in the past. The good news is a LOT of healing has taken place in the last year, which is a beautiful miracle. On my Mom's side, though, everyone pretty much disowned us because Mormons are the devil. But I have found that "missionary work" is love. Love the people. Teach by the way you live. If you want them to understand Christ, you have to be Christlike. Jesus Christ is the light I hold up. They see your love by your patience, kindness, longsuffering, charity, etc. Wearing a shirt and tie to church and sharing articles doesn't quite cut it anymore. You are your sermon.