The Forgotten Section

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

The Forgotten Section

Post by Arenera »

D&C 136
Section 136
The word and will of the Lord, given through President Brigham Young at Winter Quarters, the camp of Israel, Omaha Nation, on the west bank of the Missouri River, near Council Bluffs, Iowa.

1–16, How the camp of Israel is to be organized for the westward journey is explained; 17–27, The Saints are commanded to live by numerous gospel standards; 28–33, The Saints should sing, dance, pray, and learn wisdom; 34–42, Prophets are slain so that they might be honored and the wicked condemned
A prophet martyred. Forced out of home. A new leader. The strength of faith!
1 The Word and Will of the Lord concerning the Camp of Israel in their journeyings to the West:

2 Let all the people of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and those who journey with them, be organized into companies, with a covenant and promise to keep all the commandments and statutes of the Lord our God.

3 Let the companies be organized with captains of hundreds, captains of fifties, and captains of tens, with a president and his two counselors at their head, under the direction of the Twelve Apostles.

4 And this shall be our covenant—that we will walk in all the ordinances of the Lord.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Re: The Forgotten Section

Post by AI2.0 »

Could you elaborate? Why do you think this is a forgotten section and forgotten by whom?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

AI2.0 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:37 am Could you elaborate? Why do you think this is a forgotten section and forgotten by whom?
Forgotten at least by me. I also think the remnants forgot it, maybe even not putting in their scriptures because they thought Brigham was bad.

I imagine it was hard for Brigham, being the leader after Joseph. I’m sure it was hard to leave Nauvoo. What were the saints thinking?

Yet this revelation assured Brigham that God had not forgotten them. Just the organization concept was amazing! How were they to cross the wilderness and leave the United States?

They also made a covenant with God:
4 And this shall be our covenant—that we will walk in all the ordinances of the Lord.
They considered the poor, the widows, the children:
8 Let each company bear an equal proportion, according to the dividend of their property, in taking the poor, the widows, the fatherless, and the families of those who have gone into the army, that the cries of the widow and the fatherless come not up into the ears of the Lord against this people.
My heart burns within me, I know that Christ was leading His people. I know that Brigham Young was accepted of God to be His Prophet to lead his people to what is now Utah. I am amazed by the faith of these loyal pioneers, giving up all for Christ and His work.

Tens of thousands made this Trek to Zion! Tens of thousands continue to Trek on for the cause of Zion. I am humble to be part of this journey.
18 Zion shall be redeemed in mine own due time.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

AI2.0 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:37 am Could you elaborate? Why do you think this is a forgotten section and forgotten by whom?
I did look, and sure enough, the Remnants didn’t include Section 136 in their set of scriptures. That’s like walking around with a hand tied behind your back.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Arenera wrote: October 16th, 2017, 3:22 pm
I did look, and sure enough, the Remnants didn’t include Section 136 in their set of scriptures. That’s like walking around with a hand tied behind your back.
I'm not surprised either.

I thought that might be what you meant by 'forgotten section'--but I didn't want to assume. I agree, it is a great section to bring up. It does show the continuity of leadership and Brigham Young's position as successor to Joseph Smith.

One of the most egregious things the Remnant has done so far is their cutting and pasting of the Scriptures to fit their narrow little world view.