Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Re: Why is the age for waiting for temple work 110 and not 100?

Post by ebenezerarise »

It seems arbitrary but in all truth the odds of surviving to 110 are a lot less than 100.

There are PLENTY beyond that mark who need work done. Your aunts and uncles don't know the years like you do if they are on the other side.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

It's also worth mentioning the 110 year rule only applies if you are unable to get permission from the closest living relatives for temple work.

My mother is an only child and refuses permission for temple work to be done on behalf of her parents. The day she dies I will reserve ordinances for her parents, and one year after she dies I will get temple work done on her behalf. That is, I will get the work done IF I can find someone to do the work. In my last four wards, only one person took one name of one of my female ancestors to the temple for an endowment. A total unwillingness of people to help makes getting temple work for ancestors impossible.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 1:32 pm It's also worth mentioning the 110 year rule only applies if you are unable to get permission from the closest living relatives for temple work.

My mother is an only child and refuses permission for temple work to be done on behalf of her parents. The day she dies I will reserve ordinances for her parents, and one year after she dies I will get temple work done on her behalf. That is, I will get the work done IF I can find someone to do the work. In my last four wards, only one person took one name of one of my female ancestors to the temple for an endowment. A total unwillingness of people to help makes getting temple work for ancestors impossible.
You can ask the workers outside the sisters' area to see if anyone will help--the majority will snap it up in a moment.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

JohnnyL wrote: October 15th, 2017, 2:17 pm
brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 1:32 pm It's also worth mentioning the 110 year rule only applies if you are unable to get permission from the closest living relatives for temple work.

You can ask the workers outside the sisters' area to see if anyone will help--the majority will snap it up in a moment.
Since moving to Utah I have not seen this at all, but when I was in Washington we would have a stake temple night as a part of every stake conference. At every one of these temple nights we would meet in the assembly room (which, in the Seattle temple is on the first floor behind the clothing rental area). During those events we would always have a brief talk by a member or two of the stake presidency, and be taught by a member of the temple presidency. And at least twice we were taught that it wasn't appropriate to ask people to do work for our ancestors inside the temple.

The Seattle temple did have a cabinet, similar to a card catalog (for the old people here), where you could leave cards in a drawer for your stake. If you were lucky, someone would grab a card from there when they didn't have their own. But I haven't seen or heard of anything like that in any of the six temples in Utah I have visited.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

It is in every Utah temple and quite prolifically used. If you need support in getting names done in the temple you should talk to the HP group leader in your ward, that's part of his responsibility.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

ebenezerarise wrote: October 15th, 2017, 3:53 pm It is in every Utah temple and quite prolifically used. If you need support in getting names done in the temple you should talk to the HP group leader in your ward, that's part of his responsibility.
I have mentioned it to the high priest group leader, bishop, and lead temple and family history consultants - who said they discussed it with the relief society president. And nothing.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

It has been 110 years for doing Temple work if not closely related. If it is some one close they need to be deceased for one year. Make sure no one closer objects. If you need help with your names go on Family search, log in, click on Temple. Then select the names you want help with. Click on share and the Temple will share these names with patrons. The new rule has been to unreserve or share the names that have been reserved over two years.

jdtech
captain of 100

Post by jdtech »

OCDMOM wrote: October 15th, 2017, 4:13 pm It has been 110 years for doing Temple work if not closely related. If it is some one close they need to be deceased for one year. Make sure no one closer objects. If you need help with your names go on Family search, log in, click on Temple. Then select the names you want help with. Click on share and the Temple will share these names with patrons. The new rule has been to unreserve or share the names that have been reserved over two years.
Just a note of clarification: You can have as many names reserved for as long as it takes to do the work IF you share those names with the temple. The two year rule is only for reservations that you intend to do yourself. If you are unable to complete them in two years you risk them becoming unreserved. To prevent this you just need to share them with the temple.

Hopefully the ability to share with family / friends and others in your ward and stake will become easier in the future. Right now you can share with others, but that reservation is then removed completely from your list, and placed on the list of the person you shared it with, where you can no longer track the progress.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

CelestialAngel wrote: October 14th, 2017, 10:40 pm 10 extra years were added on to my aunt and uncles terms in spirit prison awaiting baptism and I want to know why they changed it from 100 to 110 as this affects the number of years I have to wait before I can do .temple work. 100 seemed just fine before.
If you know they're dead you/they don't have to wait.
The wait is only required when there is no proof of death; in which case it is safe to assume they are dead at 110.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 3:45 pm
JohnnyL wrote: October 15th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Since moving to Utah I have not seen this at all, but when I was in Washington we would have a stake temple night as a part of every stake conference. At every one of these temple nights we would meet in the assembly room (which, in the Seattle temple is on the first floor behind the clothing rental area). During those events we would always have a brief talk by a member or two of the stake presidency, and be taught by a member of the temple presidency. And at least twice we were taught that it wasn't appropriate to ask people to do work for our ancestors inside the temple.

The Seattle temple did have a cabinet, similar to a card catalog (for the old people here), where you could leave cards in a drawer for your stake. If you were lucky, someone would grab a card from there when they didn't have their own. But I haven't seen or heard of anything like that in any of the six temples in Utah I have visited.
They have one in Ogden.

We used to have people ask us all the time.
Can you give them out at church?

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

I will do it.

Just submit most of your female names to the temple - the ones that are not as closely related. They get done fairly quickly. I have hundreds of names submitted there. I could never get the male or even female names done myself. I just don’t submit the sealings so that I can at least do part of everyone’s work.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

JohnnyL wrote: October 15th, 2017, 8:47 pm
brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 3:45 pm The Seattle temple did have a cabinet, similar to a card catalog (for the old people here), where you could leave cards in a drawer for your stake. If you were lucky, someone would grab a card from there when they didn't have their own. But I haven't seen or heard of anything like that in any of the six temples in Utah I have visited.
They have one in Ogden.

I have probably mentioned this to leaders a dozen times in the six months I have been in my ward, but so far nobody has been willing to help me out.

Most of the members in my ward are couples under 35. We have a huge primary but not enough young men to handle sacrament on their own and few young women. Most of the couples only want to hang out with other couples, which excludes me. So I don't have friends in the ward I can ask.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

True wrote: October 15th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I will do it.

Just submit most of your female names to the temple - the ones that are not as closely related. They get done fairly quickly. I have hundreds of names submitted there. I could never get the male or even female names done myself. I just don’t submit the sealings so that I can at least do part of everyone’s work.
I appreciate the offer, but since the cards have my address on them I am reluctant to give them to people I don't know or who don't have access to my address (such as stake members).

How do you submit names to the temple? I know how to share names in FamilySearch, but a year after doing so those names are still sitting there waiting for ordinances.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

It takes a couple of years for females, sometimes less. It takes more for men - three years, sometimes more but it eventually happens. That is way faster than would happen if I had to do them all by myself.
I can’t get any help doing the male names and it is my husband’s family so don’t feel bad. One time I had an old man helping me but I found there were strings attached so I just wait for the temple to do them. It is slow but steady.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 11:16 pm
JohnnyL wrote: October 15th, 2017, 8:47 pm
brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 3:45 pm The Seattle temple did have a cabinet, similar to a card catalog (for the old people here), where you could leave cards in a drawer for your stake. If you were lucky, someone would grab a card from there when they didn't have their own. But I haven't seen or heard of anything like that in any of the six temples in Utah I have visited.
They have one in Ogden.

I have probably mentioned this to leaders a dozen times in the six months I have been in my ward, but so far nobody has been willing to help me out.

Most of the members in my ward are couples under 35. We have a huge primary but not enough young men to handle sacrament on their own and few young women. Most of the couples only want to hang out with other couples, which excludes me. So I don't have friends in the ward I can ask.
They don't have to be in your ward, just temple worthy females. So you have any temple worthy friends? My first husband had friends from a couple cities away do it for him. There was no problem with that at all.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I have plenty of family who lived more than 100-104years, so the rule makes sense to me.

It is actually kind of annoying that my living great uncle shows as dead on family search from distant relatives and fixing it has proved to be nearly impossible. I wish people would follow the rules.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

CelestialAngel wrote: October 14th, 2017, 10:40 pm 10 extra years were added on to my aunt and uncles terms in spirit prison awaiting baptism and I want to know why they changed it from 100 to 110 as this affects the number of years I have to wait before I can do .temple work. 100 seemed just fine before.
Because this policy isn't really relevant to reality of what spirits experience in the spirit world. This policy is in place in this temporal realm and as a means to respect families and their desires and prevents people being offended. I don't believe people are trapped in spirit prison simply because a mortal hasn't performed proxy work on their behalf. Good people who didn't get a chance to be baptized in mortality don't go to prison. They go to paradise.

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

CelestialAngel wrote: October 16th, 2017, 4:09 pm
Finrock wrote: October 16th, 2017, 2:48 pm
Because this policy isn't really relevant to reality of what spirits experience in the spirit world. This policy is in place in this temporal realm and as a means to respect families and their desires and prevents people being offended. I don't believe people are trapped in spirit prison simply because a mortal hasn't performed proxy work on their behalf. Good people who didn't get a chance to be baptized in mortality don't go to prison. They go to paradise.

-Finrock

The Prison I am referring to is a waiting space for their baptism to be done.
I'm only aware of spirit prison and spirit paradise. These are the only "waiting" places that I know of from the scriptures. Where did you learn about this other "prison" or can you expand on what you mean?

-Finrock

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 11:19 pm
True wrote: October 15th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I will do it.

I appreciate the offer, but since the cards have my address on them I am reluctant to give them to people I don't know or who don't have access to my address (such as stake members).

How do you submit names to the temple? I know how to share names in FamilySearch, but a year after doing so those names are still sitting there waiting for ordinances.
I've had success with personal family names by asking the missionaries to do them when they go. Once, after completing a large batch of family names and realizing that I would never get to perform all of their endowments myself, I brought our local missionaries to the temple on the day they were to go. They met with about 40 other missionaries for their endowment session and I was able to hand out that many family cards. I did this on two occasions and was able to attend the session, observing scores of missionaries go through the temple for my family. I thanked them profusely and felt blessed for it.

If you were in my ward, I'd gladly help you out!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Meili wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:26 pm They don't have to be in your ward, just temple worthy females. So you have any temple worthy friends? My first husband had friends from a couple cities away do it for him. There was no problem with that at all.
I know that I could ask anybody. I limit myself to friends and people in my stake because my address is printed on the cards.

I only have two real friends who are female and temple worthy, plus the wife of one male friend. Unfortunately two of them have huge numbers of family names and are unwilling to do work for anybody until they've taken care of their own family. The third said she would take some of my names. I gave her four, four months ago, but she hasn't taken any of those names to the temple yet.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brianj wrote: October 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm
Meili wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:26 pm They don't have to be in your ward, just temple worthy females. So you have any temple worthy friends? My first husband had friends from a couple cities away do it for him. There was no problem with that at all.
I know that I could ask anybody. I limit myself to friends and people in my stake because my address is printed on the cards.

I only have two real friends who are female and temple worthy, plus the wife of one male friend. Unfortunately two of them have huge numbers of family names and are unwilling to do work for anybody until they've taken care of their own family. The third said she would take some of my names. I gave her four, four months ago, but she hasn't taken any of those names to the temple yet.
It sounds like you've explored all your options and done everything you can, so in that case I would make just one more suggestion. Tell the Lord you've done everything you can and tell him you know that he will open a way for you. Then wait and watch. He will open a way and it will be a great experience for you. :)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Meili wrote: October 19th, 2017, 10:56 pm

It sounds like you've explored all your options and done everything you can, so in that case I would make just one more suggestion. Tell the Lord you've done everything you can and tell him you know that he will open a way for you. Then wait and watch. He will open a way and it will be a great experience for you. :)
Thank you for the tip, but I have been doing this and I'm not a fan of the Lord's timeline. You have no idea how much I have prayed for a dinner invitation, someone to do something with one evening this week so I'm not alone any time I'm not in church or at work, someone to talk to, someone I feel I can call if I need a blessing, or someone to give me a hug, and gone months without the dinner invitation, months of being all alone at home because being alone when nobody else is around hurts less than being alone and ignored when surrounded by people, arguing on this forum because here and Facebook are the only social interaction I get outside of work and three hours of church in most weeks, and gone without blessings because I have nobody I can call.

I go to the temple every week, and every time I stand in the prayer circle, because I know that those few minutes of holding hands are the only physical contact I will have with anybody the entire week. And I almost always go up there and wait. I almost always stand there, alone, as the officiant asks for one more sister, more often than not losing the battle against thoughts of being so pathetic and worthless that nobody even wants to hold my hand for a couple of minutes worth of prayer.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brianj wrote: October 19th, 2017, 11:58 pm
Meili wrote: October 19th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Thank you for the tip, but I have been doing this and I'm not a fan of the Lord's timeline. You have no idea how much I have prayed for a dinner invitation, someone to do something with one evening this week so I'm not alone any time I'm not in church or at work, someone to talk to, someone I feel I can call if I need a blessing, or someone to give me a hug, and gone months without the dinner invitation, months of being all alone at home because being alone when nobody else is around hurts less than being alone and ignored when surrounded by people, arguing on this forum because here and Facebook are the only social interaction I get outside of work and three hours of church in most weeks, and gone without blessings because I have nobody I can call.

I go to the temple every week, and every time I stand in the prayer circle, because I know that those few minutes of holding hands are the only physical contact I will have with anybody the entire week. And I almost always go up there and wait. I almost always stand there, alone, as the officiant asks for one more sister, more often than not losing the battle against thoughts of being so pathetic and worthless that nobody even wants to hold my hand for a couple of minutes worth of prayer.
I totally understand. I've been there. Yes, the Lord's timeline can be very frustrating. I've had to learn to wait myself. It's always longer than I can stand and yet shorter than I expect.

I realized some time ago that I was terribly lonely. Ironically, I discovered that it was when I was around people that I was most lonely. That was when I was reminded of how awkward and unwanted I was, at least in my own mind. I'm currently firmly on the way of completely overcoming that issue. The reality is aloneness is something inside of us, something that we can be healed from through Christ.

I don't think you are pathetic for going to the temple in order to receive a little comfort from human touch. Those desires are good and you are simply demonstrating that you are an eternal being longing for connection. The negative feelings you have about those desires come from lies you have been taught to believe. Let go of them. You are a good man. The temple is all about good, eternal connections with other people. Don't let your service there be tainted by lies meant to keep you forever alone.