Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: What's a good age to become a high priest?

Post by brianj »

gardener4life wrote: October 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm I worry about being called to a big calling in some ways. I believe we should always accept callings. We are shown and told testimonies of the regrets people have when they don't accept a calling and feel the bite of that regret later. We had a recent talk about this in Elder's Quorum. We absolutely should accept callings.

But what do you do if you have a lot of health problems that make you tired all the time or something similar?

I worry about the same thing. I have a fear that my seemingly unending divorce will finally come to an end, I will find a real love and eternal companion, and start attending church with someone I genuinely want to sit next to. But almost as soon as we get back from the honeymoon I will be called to the Bishopric and won't be able to sit with the one whose hand I want to hold.
My fears have a way of coming true. As I went on my mission I had a fear that my reserve unit would be called up and go to war without me, and if I would have gone home two or three months earlier I could have accompanied them. I had a fear that my not-yet-ex would get married before me, later to find out that she reconnected with an old boyfriend before leaving me and was engaged shortly after filing for divorce. So I suspect this fear is a way of preparing me for what's going to happen. If it happens I will accept the calling and desperately wish I could sit next to the woman I have to admire from a distance.

If you have a health problem that may impact your ability to fulfill a calling, express that concern when the call is extended. Then counsel with your leader on that subject. And if you are genuinely unable to fulfill a calling, express this to the person extending the calling. Sometimes it happens with no explanation.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Good age? Whenever the Lord decides it's time.
gardener4life wrote: October 14th, 2017, 12:27 am I used to worry about some things like worrying about being left out; but I'm grateful I can be at home. I think it was merciful to let me be at home. Especially that my health isn't so good. Sometimes its like that or sometimes your family really needs you at home too. I've noticed a lot of priesthood holders who are good are at home in this generation for various reasons. And I think it's because this generation is just really wicked and families need someone at home. (It's not always the woman that can stand up to evil trying to get in the home.)
That's interesting, and I have to agree this is likely the case, at times. Not only dads at home, but men neighbors at home.

gardener4life wrote: October 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm I worry about being called to a big calling in some ways. I believe we should always accept callings. We are shown and told testimonies of the regrets people have when they don't accept a calling and feel the bite of that regret later. We had a recent talk about this in Elder's Quorum. We absolutely should accept callings.

But what do you do if you have a lot of health problems that make you tired all the time or something similar?
The stake presidency counselor asked someone to be the HP group leader; he said no. "Why?" "The Lord didn't call me, you all did, because you knew I'd do it. It's not inspiration, it's desperation." They found someone else who was truly called.

Bad health: As Elder Hales said something like (from a few conferences ago), "Then you have to really prioritize and determine what needs to be done the most, and work on that first." Voice concerns, ask the Lord, ask for help.

///

There are a few men I would have in HP quorum, and a few I wish would go back to EQ, lol.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Here's something important that needs to be mentioned: When an endowed man dies, it's the duty of the high priests to dress his body for the funeral. When I think about wanting to become a high priest, I think about this duty and suddenly I'm not in so much of a hurry to become a high priest.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 3:51 pm Here's something important that needs to be mentioned: When an endowed man dies, it's the duty of the high priests to dress his body for the funeral. When I think about wanting to become a high priest, I think about this duty and suddenly I'm not in so much of a hurry to become a high priest.
Lol.

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

brianj wrote: October 14th, 2017, 2:18 pm
Gideon wrote: October 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm To be ordained a high priest a man needs to prove himself. We should seek to do that as soon as possible.
This is 100% false. I have known people who do a very good job of hiding who they rally are from church, even men who were unfaithful to their wives almost from the end of their honeymoon, who were ordained high priests.

To be ordained to the office of high priest we need to be called to the high priesthood. Nothing more, nothing less.
Unfortunately, some people do deceive their leaders, but they never deceive the Lord.

There are many ways a man can be approved of God, here is one example:

26 Now Melchizedek was a man of faith, who wrought righteousness; and when a child he feared God, and stopped the mouths of lions, and quenched the violence of fire.
27 And thus, having been approved of God, he was ordained an high priest
(JST, Gen. 14:26–27)

Bishops actively work with young men to prepare them to receive the Melchizedek priesthood and be ordained an elder. That doesn't happen with high priests. To be ordained a high priest requires an invitation.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Just curious....i hope I don't derail this but what other prophets were put in Lion's dens besides Melchizedek and Daniel. It mentions that it 'happened' with wild beasts in 3rd or 4th Nephi I think but doesn't say who it was. (I think)

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

These days Elders Quorum needs old guys. I read a quote awhile ago from one of the apostles and he said something to the effect to bishops that if they have older Elders don't ordain them to be high priests unless the calling required it. He said that elders Quorum's need older guys for their experience and to teach the younger guys. After reading that it changed my perspective and I have had several conversations with older Elders and I tell them how much they are needed in the Elders Quorum. There are a lot of young Elders with great potential and little guidance.

I was about 34 when I was called to be a high priest for a calling. I actually miss elders quorum.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

e-eye2.0 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:21 am These days Elders Quorum needs old guys. I read a quote awhile ago from one of the apostles and he said something to the effect to bishops that if they have older Elders don't ordain them to be high priests unless the calling required it. He said that elders Quorum's need older guys for their experience and to teach the younger guys. After reading that it changed my perspective and I have had several conversations with older Elders and I tell them how much they are needed in the Elders Quorum. There are a lot of young Elders with great potential and little guidance.

I was about 34 when I was called to be a high priest for a calling. I actually miss elders quorum.
He wouldn't have said it to bishops. Bishops have nothing to do with it.
High Priest calls and ordinations are strictly the responsibility of the stake president.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

gardener4life wrote: October 15th, 2017, 11:43 pm Just curious....i hope I don't derail this but what other prophets were put in Lion's dens besides Melchizedek and Daniel. It mentions that it 'happened' with wild beasts in 3rd or 4th Nephi I think but doesn't say who it was. (I think)
The three disciples that remained.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

True High Priest, not just ones on the Church records and who have a title given to them by the Church, are called by God, only. It has nothing to do with age or being a part of some club. Sure, such a thing does exist in the Church, but what makes a High Priest is one who has been ordained by God Himself to be such and this ordination has been sealed by the Holy Ghost.

-Finrock

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Finrock,

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

brianj wrote: October 14th, 2017, 8:03 pm
gardener4life wrote: October 14th, 2017, 5:01 pm
brianj wrote: October 14th, 2017, 2:18 pm
Gideon wrote: October 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm To be ordained a high priest a man needs to prove himself. We should seek to do that as soon as possible.
This is 100% false. I have known people who do a very good job of hiding who they rally are from church, even men who were unfaithful to their wives almost from the end of their honeymoon, who were ordained high priests.

To be ordained to the office of high priest we need to be called to the high priesthood. Nothing more, nothing less.
So I think you are basically saying its the heart commitment not the checklist? :)
No. We don't know why callings are given to specific individuals. We don't know why someone who might be a great Bishop is never given the chance, but a lying narcissist having an affair is called as Bishop (and yes, this really happened at least once that I know of). We don't know why one person is called as a Bishop's counselor at 22 but another is never given a leadership calling.

All we can do is try to have faith that Heavenly Father knows what is best for us and that we will have the trials and experiences we need to help us become who Father wants us to be.
The reason these things exist is because The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a distinct thing from the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Church of the Firstborn. There is God's priesthood and there is Church priesthood. God can't be tricked or fooled. People can be. People can be ordained to a particular office in the Church and have a particular title given to them and they will have authority within the Church to function and to act based on that office and title. However, this does not necessarily mean that they are exercising God's authority or that they actually have God's priesthood. The real priesthood and the real office is not the priesthood of the Church, which any person can receive even if they are a lying narcissist who is committing adultery, but the real priesthood is the priesthood of Jesus Christ and this is only received and exercised under the principles of righteousness. In the end, God controls His priesthood and authority comes from righteousness, not a title or an office.

-Finrock

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Finrock,
True High Priest, not just ones on the Church records and who have a title given to them by the Church, are called by God, only. It has nothing to do with age or being a part of some club. Sure, such a thing does exist in the Church, but what makes a High Priest is one who has been ordained by God Himself to be such and this ordination has been sealed by the Holy Ghost.
Did God come down and personally ordain you? So You or your buddies carry more weight with God than Joseph Smith. He sent Peter James and John to Joseph Smith to ordain him and restore... oh wait a minute... nothing because God has been personally ordaining people all along. I guess that this RESTORED priesthood is just Mormon fiction.

Regards,

George Clay

PS: Do people like your hero Amonhi ordain people based upon their ordination and their C&E made sure/? or are all of these people personally ordained by God restricted from ordaining others?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

gclayjr wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:07 am Finrock,
Did God come down and personally ordain you? So You or your buddies carry more weight with God than Joseph Smith. He sent Peter James and John to Joseph Smith to ordain him and restore.. oh wait a minute.. nothing because God has been personally ordaining people all along. I guess that this RESTORED priesthood is just Mormon fiction,

Regards,

George Clay
George,

All things, if they are to have any lasting validity or true authority, must by sealed by the Holy Spirit or God. We are called to be High Priest by God's own voice and His voice is Spirit.

Being a true High Priest has nothing to do with age or with being a part of some old men's club.

-Finrock

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

brianj wrote: October 15th, 2017, 3:51 pm Here's something important that needs to be mentioned: When an endowed man dies, it's the duty of the high priests to dress his body for the funeral. When I think about wanting to become a high priest, I think about this duty and suddenly I'm not in so much of a hurry to become a high priest.
An endowed elder may participate in the dressing. If all the high priests in the ward are old and weak, it is actually good idea to have help from elders.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Robin Hood wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:44 am
e-eye2.0 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:21 am These days Elders Quorum needs old guys. I read a quote awhile ago from one of the apostles and he said something to the effect to bishops that if they have older Elders don't ordain them to be high priests unless the calling required it. He said that elders Quorum's need older guys for their experience and to teach the younger guys. After reading that it changed my perspective and I have had several conversations with older Elders and I tell them how much they are needed in the Elders Quorum. There are a lot of young Elders with great potential and little guidance.

High Priest calls and ordinations are strictly the responsibility of the stake president.
It was a leadership meeting for stake presidents and bishops from what I remember. Yes the stake president is responsible but I know a bishop can recommend or bring it up to a stake president. But yes, the Stake President is the one that decides.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Finrock,
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am
Finrock,
Did God come down and personally ordain you? So You or your buddies carry more weight with God than Joseph Smith. He sent Peter James and John to Joseph Smith to ordain him and restore.. oh wait a minute.. nothing because God has been personally ordaining people all along. I guess that this RESTORED priesthood is just Mormon fiction,

Regards,

George Clay

George,

All things, if they are to have any lasting validity or true authority, must by sealed by the Holy Spirit or God. We are called to be High Priest by God's own voice and His voice is Spirit.

Being a true High Priest has nothing to do with age or with being a part of some old men's club.
You always write such inconsistent stuff that it is hard to figure out what you are really saying. Even when I take into account for the fact that you never mean what you actually say, I find it hard to figure out what you are really trying to say. Here is another case.

Your earlier statement says that God comes down and and ordains High Priests by himself without the need for man holding the priesthood to do it. Your next statement implies that a man ordained (by a high priest?) isn't really a high priest until the this priesthood is sealed by Holy Spirit or God.

While both statements are problematic, it is hard to nail it down, because your illogic slithers around like Jello. So are you saying;

1) that God goes around ordaining High priests himself?

or

2) That High Priests must be ordained by one who holds the keys but that Ordination is not valid until sealed by God or the Holy ghost... however that occurs?

Regards,

George Clay

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

gclayjr wrote: October 16th, 2017, 12:22 pm Finrock,
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am
Finrock,

Regards,

George Clay

George,

You always write such inconsistent stuff that it is hard to figure out what you are really saying. Even when I take into account for the fact that you never mean what you actually say, I find it hard to figure out what you are really trying to say. Here is another case.

Your earlier statement says that God comes down and and ordains High Priests by himself without the need for man holding the priesthood to do it. Your next statement implies that a man ordained (by a high priest?) isn't really a high priest until the this priesthood is sealed by Holy Spirit or God.

While both statements are problematic, it is hard to nail it down, because your illogic slithers around like Jello. So are you saying;

or

2) That High Priests must be ordained by one who holds the keys but that Ordination is not valid until sealed by God or the Holy ghost... however that occurs?

Regards,

George Clay
JaredBees wrote:My brother-- live to receive God's love and approbation... The honors / esteem of man and men fall very short in that setting. . PF, Seek God's honor and esteem. Let him elevate you because you "are" love... and are loved... Learn his ways. Look for and receive his grace and favor. Don't wait for man to elevate you. You very easily with joy and peace could watch a brother of yours ordain one of your sons a high priest---- knowing / feeling the wholeness of God's grace abiding in you...
marc wrote: October 14th, 2017, 10:44 am
CelestialAngel wrote: October 13th, 2017, 9:45 pm You are an elder until you are called to a leadership council. What if you're never called? Like women who are allowed endowments in their 20s despite no marriage or mission, when should a man be able to try to get to be a high priest instead of just being the old timer in the elders quorum.
Do you mean the church "office" of high priest or a high priest after the order of the Son of God by the calling of God's own voice?
JST Genesis 14:27 And thus, having been approved of God, he was ordained an high priest after the order of the covenant which God made with Enoch,

28 It being after the order of the Son of God; which order came, not by man, nor the will of man; neither by father nor mother; neither by beginning of days nor end of years; but of God;

29 And it was delivered unto men by the calling of his own voice, according to his own will, unto as many as believed on his name.

30 For God having sworn unto Enoch and unto his seed with an oath by himself; that every one being ordained after this order and calling should have power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course;

31 To put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to his will, according to his command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world.

32 And men having this faith, coming up unto this order of God, were translated and taken up into heaven.
Age doesn't seem to matter to Jehova. At least it didn't seem to matter with Melchizedek or with Enoch, for that matter:
Moses 6:31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
I'm not quite sure what age a "lad" was considered in Enoch's day, though to me, a lad is a juvenile...someone like a deacon or a teacher in the church today. Church articles seem to put Enoch at age 65 when he was called by God, though, and seeing as Enoch walked with God 365 days, age 65 probably is the age of a whippersnapper. Go figure.
-Finrock

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I guess since I've been quoted, I should add a little more information. Enoch was ordained under Adam at age 25 and later by God's own voice. The same thing with Moses who was ordained by Jethro, but later by God's own voice. This is the pattern and why God said men must "come unto this priesthood" in D&C 84:
33 For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.

34 They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.

35 And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord;

36 For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;

37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;

38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.

39 And this is according to the oath and covenant which belongeth to the priesthood.
There is a LOT going on here. First one is ordained as most of us men are (elders/high priests). You have the authority to bless and pass the sacrament and administer in ordinances and hold offices in the church, etc. This is according to portion of the Melchizedek Priesthood, which resides in the church. If you have received this priesthood from your father or your bishop or whoever, you have claim on a "line of authority." Enoch was ordained under Adam (I believe that is in D&C 88, but I'll have to look it up, same for Moses under Jethro), but then he was ordained by Jesus Christ by the calling of His own voice. Enoch received it through a "line of authority" and then received it "fully" by Jesus Christ, which fullness gave him power (by faith) over the elements. Most priesthood holders on this forum and in the church can claim a line of authority, but very, very few have the fullness as with Enoch, Nephi, the bro of Jared, etc. This is why Jesus declared by his own voice to Moroni the following, fulfilling his directive in the above quoted scripture in section 84:

Ether 4:13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.

14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.

15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.
Enoch rent that veil. Nephi rent that veil. The brother of Jared rent that veil. Joseph Smith rent that veil, even though he was ordained first by Peter, James and John. By rending the veil and coming unto Christ and receiving of His fullness, one receives of His Father and of all that the Father has. THIS is the oath and covenant of the priesthood because it is made by God's own voice just as He did with Enoch. Or in other words:
JST 14:30 For God having sworn unto Enoch and unto his seed with an oath by himself; that every one being ordained after this order and calling should have power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course;

31 To put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to his will, according to his command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world.
Most of us have not received this "oath" by the mouth of God's own voice. This is part of the condemnation God spoke of in D&C 84, which is a key section to all of this:
D&C 84:42 And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you.
That is the sum of it. Most "priesthood" holders who hold the "office" of the High Priest have not "come unto this priesthood." They have only been ordained to the office by whomever laid hands on their heads.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

e-eye2.0 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 11:26 am
Robin Hood wrote: October 16th, 2017, 1:44 am

It was a leadership meeting for stake presidents and bishops from what I remember. Yes the stake president is responsible but I know a bishop can recommend or bring it up to a stake president. But yes, the Stake President is the one that decides.
You are right, Bishops are sometimes asked for recommendations of older men in the Elders Quorum whom the Stake Pres. should consider for ordaining to become High Priests.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

inho wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:33 am
An endowed elder may participate in the dressing. If all the high priests in the ward are old and weak, it is actually good idea to have help from elders.
Endowed sisters can also perform this work.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Finrock,

or

The above questions seem straightforward to me. I always believed that truths can be stated simply and those who truly understand truth can answer clearly and simply. All you do is copy a pile of interpretations of scriptures, that do not actually address any of your assertions, whatever they may be, because you so contradict yourself, that it is hard to figure out what you are actually asserting.

As for JST Genesis 14, it does talk about Mechezedek being ordained to a priesthood after the Order of God, and it does address what that Order is, but it doesn't address the details of his ordination, and it certainly doesn't address how one would be ordained a HP in a world where the Melchezedek priesthood has already been restored... assuming you actually believe that it has been restored.

I would ask one more time for you to answer the questions I posed about what it is that you are trying to say, but I suppose you cannot give a clear answer, so if the best you can do is copy and paste a bunch of irrelevant non sequitur stuff, I would suggest just let it go, and I will make my conclusions about your assertions accordingly.

Regards,

George Clay

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

gclayjr wrote: October 16th, 2017, 6:05 pm Finrock,

or

The above questions seem straightforward to me. I always believed that truths can be stated simply and those who truly understand truth can answer clearly and simply. All you do is copy a pile of interpretations of scriptures, that do not actually address any of your assertions, whatever they may be, because you so contradict yourself, that it is hard to figure out what you are actually asserting.

As for JST Genesis 14, it does talk about Mechezedek being ordained to a priesthood after the Order of God, and it does address what that Order is, but it doesn't address the details of his ordination, and it certainly doesn't address how one would be ordained a HP in a world where the Melchezedek priesthood has already been restored... assuming you actually believe that it has been restored.

I would ask one more time for you to answer the questions I posed about what it is that you are trying to say, but I suppose you cannot give a clear answer, so if the best you can do is copy and paste a bunch of irrelevant non sequitur stuff, I would suggest just let it go, and I will make my conclusions about your assertions accordingly.

Regards,

George Clay
George,

Are you addressing me with mutual respect? Are your questions sincere and asked with real intent?

-Finrock

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Finrock,
George,

Are you addressing me with mutual respect? Are your questions sincere and asked with real intent?

-Finrock
I ask out of neither respect nor disrespect. I care little for personal feelings. I do ask with sincerity and real intent, because I do care about truth.

Regards,

George Clay

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

AI2.0 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 4:26 pm
inho wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:33 am
Endowed sisters can also perform this work.
Unless it's my wife--Over my dead body!