Project: All Conference Talks by Thomas S. Monson

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Project: All Conference Talks by Thomas S. Monson

Post by Zathura »

I want to go through and read each of his talks starting from his earliest talks.

I know that it was one of his talks that changed my wife's life forever, so please, If any of you have specific talks that he gave that impacted your life, please share here so I can pay extra attention to those talks.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Project: All Conference Talks by Thomas S. Monson

Post by Arenera »

Tears, Trials, Trust, Testimony Apr 1987
Tabernacles and temples are built with more than stone and mortar, wood and glass. Particularly is this true when we speak of the temple described by the Apostle Paul: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” (1 Cor. 3:16). Such temples are built with faith and fasting. They are built with service and sacrifice. They are built with trials and testimonies.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Here's my favorite, complete with OKC geocache. :P
BeNotDeceived wrote: August 19th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1986/05/a-pr ... e?lang=eng

A Provident Plan
As you read this one, think of the divine planning that was in place for just the right people to be in the ward council that gave service to the refugees. There are no coincidences in the Lord's economy.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

April 1971 "Lost Battalions"
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng

This is the earliest talk that I can find. He talks about helping the aged, the widowed, the sick. He mentioned family that isolate themselves from one another. These are the "Lost Battalions". He spoke of a father and son who bridled their pride to mend a broken home. Each one of us would be one of these "Lost Battalions" in one way or another because of sin. If it weren't for our Savior Jesus. We were rescued, and we can follow that example here on earth. I appreciate the last portion of the talk and how it was focused on our Lord.
Last edited by Zathura on October 10th, 2017, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Stahura wrote: October 10th, 2017, 1:58 pm 1st

This is the earliest talk that I can find. He talks about helping the aged, the widowed, the sick. He mentioned family that isolate themselves from one another. These are the "Lost Battalions". He spoke of a father and son who bridled their pride to mend a broken home. Each one of us would be one of these "Lost Battalions" in one way or another because of sin. If it weren't for our Savior Jesus. We were rescued, and we can follow that example here on earth. I appreciate the last portion of the talk and how it was focused on our Lord.
I don't know how you get the transcripts from 1963 when he became an apostle.
President Thomas S. Monson has served as the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February 3, 2008. He had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since November 10, 1985. Most recently, on March 12, 1995, he was set apart as First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley. Prior to that, on June 5, 1994, he was called as Second Counselor to President Howard W. Hunter, and on November 10, 1985, as Second Counselor to President Ezra Taft Benson. He was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on October 4, 1963, and ordained an Apostle on October 10, 1963, at the age of 36.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Arenera wrote: October 10th, 2017, 2:23 pm

President Thomas S. Monson has served as the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since February 3, 2008. He had served as a Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church since November 10, 1985. Most recently, on March 12, 1995, he was set apart as First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley. Prior to that, on June 5, 1994, he was called as Second Counselor to President Howard W. Hunter, and on November 10, 1985, as Second Counselor to President Ezra Taft Benson. He was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on October 4, 1963, and ordained an Apostle on October 10, 1963, at the age of 36.
Found a link to earlier talks. http://www.instituteofreligion.org/inde ... as&m=S.&s=

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Arenera wrote: October 10th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Found a link to earlier talks. http://www.instituteofreligion.org/inde ... as&m=S.&s=
Perfect, thank you. Why are they not on LDS.org? 1971 seems like a random year to stop.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Stahura wrote: October 10th, 2017, 2:35 pm
Arenera wrote: October 10th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Perfect, thank you. Why are they not on LDS.org? 1971 seems like a random year to stop.
I don’t know, maybe the media was different before 1971.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

2nd

April 1964 "Come Unto Me"
http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1345

The theme of this talk is Prayer and Faith. " A family that prays together, stays together", and " a man is never taller than when he is on his knees". All of the worlds problems of today would be alleviated by good old fashioned family prayer. However, the prayer needs to be done with full faith and trust in God. Faith and doubt cannot exist together, as evidenced by James 1: 5-6. We obtain spiritual power through prayer.

When he was presiding over his mission, under the influence of the Holy Ghost he promised a young Elder that his father would join the church before he finished his mission if he was diligent. A week before the Elder returned home, the father was baptized. His prophesy was fulfilled.
Last edited by Zathura on October 10th, 2017, 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

3rd

October 1964 "In Search of Truth"
http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1352

Mankind is naturally drawn to truth. Ask God to find truth, again, James 1:5-6. There have always been prophets, always will. Truth is found by studying and pondering on the living, revealed word of God. First you must have a desire, you must be humble. Study, pray, do the will of our Father in Heaven and we will know the truth. The way to the truth is well marked. Lastly, take the Holy Spirit as your Guide.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Stahura said:
There have always been prophets, always will. Truth is found by studying and pondering on the living, revealed word of God.
Except during the 1800-year "Great Apostasy" gap? What about all those poor souls? Seriously, why would The Lord take an 1800-year break, essentially abandoning mankind? I propose that that is preposterous based on His character, incidentally. So, why did "the Restoration" have to wait nearly 2000 years?

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Jesef wrote: October 10th, 2017, 6:40 pm Stahura said:
There have always been prophets, always will. Truth is found by studying and pondering on the living, revealed word of God.
Except during the 1800-year "Great Apostasy" gap? What about all those poor souls? Seriously, why would The Lord take an 1800-year break, essentially abandoning mankind? I propose that that is preposterous based on His character, incidentally. So, why did "the Restoration" have to wait nearly 2000 years?
Being that everyone here understands Mormonism I didn't think it was necessary to mention the "great apostasy". The reader gets the general idea being portrayed. I'm just reading each talk and writing a summary of the points made.

I'd like to hear your answer to your own question though, if you have one.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

4th

April 1965 "The Precious Gift of Sight"
http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1393

This talk is about coming from darkness to light in our spiritual journey. It seems that LOVE, is the biggest reason that people decide to turn towards the light. Neglect, bad habits, shunning of righteous living causes people to think that God will no longer hear them. To those who have these thoughts, you need only look at the story of the Wayward Son.
Ether 12:27, through God, weak things shall become strong. A theme of this talk is also that we may help our neighbors to do these things. Our love can help them. His prayer is that we will take the Master's hand and serve him and see with hears that hear and eyes that see.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I usually think that gapages (see: http://www.gapages.com/monsots1.htm) is a great webpage if one wants to find all talks of a certain general authority. However, it seems that the links are broken now. In addition, it seems to miss some of the early talks of President Monson.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Here's a useful thought that just occurred to me. President Monson served for 22 years in the Quorum of the Twelve. He served another 22 years as a counselor in the First Presidency before beginning his (almost) ten years as the president of the church.In all that time I am sure he's given many talks in stake conferences, the MTCs, and church education groups that are not recorded. But I'm sure that he gave several devotional addresses at church universities. I just took a quick look and found devotionals given at BYU and BYU-HI. You may consider adding these to your list.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

brianj wrote: October 12th, 2017, 8:06 pm Here's a useful thought that just occurred to me. President Monson served for 22 years in the Quorum of the Twelve. He served another 22 years as a counselor in the First Presidency before beginning his (almost) ten years as the president of the church.In all that time I am sure he's given many talks in stake conferences, the MTCs, and church education groups that are not recorded. But I'm sure that he gave several devotional addresses at church universities. I just took a quick look and found devotionals given at BYU and BYU-HI. You may consider adding these to your list.
I will. I just intend to do conference first and will go back and do all other talks that we can find.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

inho wrote: October 12th, 2017, 10:49 am I usually think that gapages (see: http://www.gapages.com/monsots1.htm) is a great webpage if one wants to find all talks of a certain general authority. However, it seems that the links are broken now. In addition, it seems to miss some of the early talks of President Monson.
The link Aranera provided above is pretty solid