Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Michelle
captain of 1,000

Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?

Post by Michelle »

So, I haven't been a fan of Halloween for awhile.

But it was only a couple years back that I all of the sudden realized it was worse than I thought.

What does Halloween mean? Whatever the intent long ago, the actual words mean:

Hallow: to honor or make holy
een: contraction of evening=e'en

What exactly are people honoring or making holy that evening? Another way to say it "What are they worshiping?"

I remember as a kid dressing up as a can of soda, a clown, even a hobo. But now, we don't even go to the church trunk or treat anymore (funny, the party use to be held inside with donuts and chili) but with the Relief Society ladies dressing up as Elvira (cleavage, short skirt and all=no garments could be worn under that!) and the kids wearing masks with a little pump that makes it appear as if blood is dripping down their faces I guess they finally decided perhaps it didn't fit with the purpose of the building meant to be used to worship our Heavenly Father.

Where do we draw the line?

Our tradition the last few years is to watch a movie and have a treat at home. We don't hand out candy and we don't even visit family since most are enamored with the chance to dress up as zombies and our kids don't want to see that.

We can hardly take little ones to stores like Walmart and Costco this time of year (started in August this year) with the creepy and over the top decorations and motion sensor witches and worse. A few years back there was a stretch of I-15 that we ended up having to avoid because my then 3 year old and 5 years old would cry and have to sleep in our room if we drove it because of billboards for a zombie run and haunted house.

I ask again, where do we draw the line?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?

Post by Elizabeth »

Is it only of recent times with Costco now established in Australia that there has ever been mention of Halloween here.
It is evil nonsense.
How any intelligent let alone righteous person could support such a celebration is beyond my comprehension.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

I loved Halloween as a kid! We went to the wealthy neighborhoods and got full size candy bars. The dentist gave out tooth brushes, boo! My children loved Halloween and so do my grandchildren, so come on, it can be kept within bounds, can't we have a little fun??

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

I can remember as a kid I didn't know what Halloween meant or was about, I mean I saw all the ghosts hanging from our 2nd grade classroom ceiling and a witch and some pumpkins but I didn't think much of it. Trick or treat is all I thought of and getting candy. Today Halloween is about who's mom can dress the sexiest and which young woman can show the most skin. I drove my nephew around a neighborhood last year and I could not believe the way the young mothers were dressed. they were not in costumes but dressed in short tight shorts, tight shirts, some in heels. Cmon you are going to walk around all night in heels just because it makes you look sexier? It was tuff that evening to think pure thoughts that's for sure, I couldn't believe the way these young mothers were dressed, this was supposed to be all about the children and not who's young mother could dress the sluttiest.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

"Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?"

Dead Catholic Saints.

Halloween is the first day of a three-day Christian observance called Allhallowtide, or the Hallowmas season. The second day is All Hallow's Day (or All Saints' Day) and the third is All Souls' Day.

Mormons don't celebrate Hallowmas it because it doesn't have anything to do with the life of Jesus, and like Protestants we're not really into honoring dead saints. So our Halloween is bereft of any "reason for the season." It's strictly secular for us.

But in the Catholic and Orthodox traditions, Halloween is supposed to be about laughing in the face of death. We are showing that we aren't frightened of death or saddened by it, because Jesus triumphed over it. So it's all about reveling in the macabre.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

I had the pleasure a few years ago of being a member of one of the most apostate wards in God’s kingdom. Grimsby Ward, Hull England Stake. It was Thursday evening, YM/YW activity night, and it was Halloween. I arrived to pick up my children and as I looked through the glass panel into the cultural hall to see if the ‘activity’ had finished I was surprised to see the hall in total darkness. Then as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I saw a figure, sat in the middle of the hall, dressed in a black cloak with a hideous deformed face, swathed in green light, with his young disciples sat around him. I wasn’t sure if Satan had dropped by to address the kids or the Stake President was in town. My immediate thought was if anyone outside the Church is here and sees this it will be in the press tomorrow that Mormons really do worship Satan.

Halloween has no place in what is meant to be God’s Church.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

So Halloween used to be my favorite. I loved being scared, loved the creepy stuff. My favorite house as a kid always had a scary, haunted feel and people jumping out at you. I didn't go crazy, but I was excited to make my houses scary too once I grew up.
Until my sweet 2 year old daughter cried one day that she didn't want to go outside because it was too scary.
Wow! Crushed!
So I threw it all in the trash and thought long and hard about Halloween and did a major reversal. I asked the hard question, "if the Lord came to my home on Halloween, how would he feel?"
Soon I began to hate how it treated death, something sacred. So our family doesn't do ghosts, zombies, vampires, any of that. No witches, no devils. Nothing that is remotely anti Christ.
But we still participate. We put out pumpkins. We decorate with bats, spiders, and snakes. We take the good fear, our natural fear of some of God's creations, and have an opportunity to laugh, appreciate, and be less scared. I hand out candy (homemade costumes get a bonus) and my kids go around the block.
I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to support this holiday, but I've found a way I feel at peace with it.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I will also say, I wish the wards would stop having Halloween parties. We do chili and cornbread, but costumes are encouraged (so far I haven't seen anything inappropriate as strict guidelines are laid out) and sometimes candy.
I like the chili and think a fall harvest party would be great. But this is one tradition we haven't been able to break (tried one year on ward council and almost had a ward mutiny).

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I'm not worshiping anything on Halloween except for maybe during my usual prayers. We don't need any extra rules to make us extra righteous. Halloween is harmless unless you are worshipping Satan or using it as an excuse to dress inappropriately. If that's the case then Halloween is not the source of your problems.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I doubt there are many who really know the true ancient aim of All Hallow's Eve, which was all about family and honoring the dead. But I also doubt there are many who truly use it as a day of embracing darkness and evil. Much ado about nothing here, it's harmless fun.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

captainfearnot wrote: October 7th, 2017, 12:59 am "Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?"

Dead Catholic Saints.

Halloween is the first day of a three-day Christian observance called Allhallowtide, or the Hallowmas season. The second day is All Hallow's Day (or All Saints' Day) and the third is All Souls' Day.

Mormons don't celebrate Hallowmas it because it doesn't have anything to do with the life of Jesus, and like Protestants we're not really into honoring dead saints. So our Halloween is bereft of any "reason for the season." It's strictly secular for us.

But in the Catholic and Orthodox traditions, Halloween is supposed to be about laughing in the face of death. We are showing that we aren't frightened of death or saddened by it, because Jesus triumphed over it. So it's all about reveling in the macabre.
Do you know anybody currently, in real life, who celebrates it for these reasons?

It doesn't really matter why people used to celebrate it, if no one still does. What matters is, what is its place and purpose today?

Like I said, as a kid, it seemed harmless enough, but it has, in my opinion gotten out of hand.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

alaris wrote: October 7th, 2017, 2:45 am I'm not worshiping anything on Halloween except for maybe during my usual prayers. We don't need any extra rules to make us extra righteous. Halloween is harmless unless you are worshipping Satan or using it as an excuse to dress inappropriately. If that's the case then Halloween is not the source of your problems.
I'm not worried about being "extra righteous." I'm worried about having the Spirit to be with me. I'm not excited to drive him away. I'm worried about taking upon me the name of Christ and remembering him. I just don't see how taking on the appearance of zombies and witches equal acting with the dignity Christ's name deserves. I am worried about keeping the commandments. There are scriptures enough about what the Lord thinks of witches and sorcerers and such. Finally, it seems to be a tradition without merit. Why have a day at all to revel in rebellion? It is a day when people go to excess in eating junk food, dressing and acting in a way that drives away the Spirit, and some take opportunity to prank and commit crimes. . . just for fun of course.
2 Nephi 28:7
Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

eddie wrote: October 6th, 2017, 10:45 pm I loved Halloween as a kid! We went to the wealthy neighborhoods and got full size candy bars. The dentist gave out tooth brushes, boo! My children loved Halloween and so do my grandchildren, so come on, it can be kept within bounds, can't we have a little fun??
I remember in high school when people said "loosen up, 'have a little fun'" it usually led to tragedy. I was never insulted by a compliment, whether it was intended or not.

If it is fun we are interested in, and I see no problem with fun kept in appropriate bounds, why not set our traditions to match our faith, instead of following the traditions of the world? We have had a Fall Festival with friends in the middle of October a few times and had a lot of appropriate fun.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Im not sure high school and tragedy are a fair comparison, in all my years of working with the youth I've never heard one of them say, " My problems all started because of Halloween."

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

eddie wrote: October 7th, 2017, 7:59 am Im not sure high school and tragedy are a fair comparison, in all my years of working with the youth I've never heard one of them say, " My problems all started because of Halloween."
I never said "my problems all started because of Halloween" was a common expression, though I doubt it has helped bring anyone to Christ. I said the phrase "have a little fun" has led to much tragedy. I had plenty of friends in high school who ended up pregnant, leaving with the police and some who died when that phrase was uttered in the right (or wrong, as the case may be) context.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Michelle wrote: October 7th, 2017, 6:01 am
Do you know anybody currently, in real life, who celebrates it for these reasons?

It doesn't really matter why people used to celebrate it, if no one still does. What matters is, what is its place and purpose today?
Just Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Anglicans, and all the "Catholic light" Protestant denominations that observe the liturgical calendar—Episcopalians, Lutherans, etc. Methodists celebrate All Saints Day on the first Sunday in November so All Saints Eve rarely lines up with Halloween. But just like with Christmas, there is constant tension between the secular and religious aspects of it all. So maybe they go to church and light a candle for the dead saints, but when they go home it's back to witches and jack-o-lanterns and scary costumes.

I seriously doubt that many of the people taking part in Halloween fun are doing it with any religious purpose. Just like we aren't thinking about any contrived connection to Jesus when hunt for Easter eggs or watch Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. It's just a seasonal celebration, rooted in pagan festivals much older than Christianity. How many people celebrate Mardi Gras because they actually know anything about Epiphany and are preparing for Lent? Very few, I'd wager. It's just a party.

That being said, if anything we've gotten away from focusing on death and the macabre as much as we used to. Remember "memento mori" from high school? How every medieval painting had a skull in it somewhere because we were always supposed to be thinking of death? During Victorian times we told ghost stories at Christmas.

But the Restored Gospel has no liturgical calendar. No feasts, no festivals, no holy-days. I guess that leaves it up to us how much we want to dabble in the secular festivities and sectarian rites going on around us, and you'd certainly be justified in eschewing it all. Some people don't eat chocolate. Some people don't play video games. Whatever floats your boat.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I agree with Michelle.

As a child I loved Halloween. Who wouldn't? Gorge yourself on all the candy you want! (ick) But something changed as a teenager. I think it was a couple of different events. One was waking up to the evil that existed in the world and two was watching a really scary movie as a teen. I didn't sleep for weeks and I didn't like the way it made me feel. How could a holiday that gloried in trying to scare people bring one closer to Christ or bring peace into ones lives? Satan breeds off of fear.

As a parent I kept up the tradition for my kid's sake. I however only decorated with non-scary cute items. This came to an end with my 3rd son who hated Halloween; it scared him. So all of the decorations got put away. Now my boys are older, I have a few items out, but only pumpkins. As a health conscious person, I HATE giving out candy. No wonder our country is so obese and have so many health problems. We gear our kids from an early age to get addicted to sugar. The last several years I have given out "prizes" and have gotten a great response from kids...EXCEPT the teenagers who want candy. So they don't come to my house anymore. What a shame...not. :P

I could just do without Halloween to begin with and wish it would just go away. To each their own though. (I always wake up on November 1st and say Hooray!)

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

kittycat51 wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:25 am The last several years I have given out "prizes" and have gotten a great response from kids...EXCEPT the teenagers who want candy.
I like that idea. It's not going away so you can either bunker down and wait for it to blow over or you can put a positive spin on it. I remember reading in one of Stephen Covey's books that they required all trick-or-treaters that came to their house to perform for their candy. A song or a dance or a skit or something. And it grew into this huge annual talent show that the neighborhood kids got really in to.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

eddie wrote: October 6th, 2017, 10:45 pm I loved Halloween as a kid! We went to the wealthy neighborhoods and got full size candy bars. The dentist gave out tooth brushes, boo! My children loved Halloween and so do my grandchildren, so come on, it can be kept within bounds, can't we have a little fun??
I know, right? As long as we’re not worshiping pagan gods.

ShockHouse
captain of 100

Post by ShockHouse »

Let people have some fun. There's no point trying to add black and white into something that doesn't matter. Halloween is a cultural holiday that many people enjoy, and there is nothing wrong with that. I would have no fear celebrating Halloween within the Savior's presence.
Now people dressing up inappropriately is a personal issue they need to sort out themselves.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Z2100 wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:35 am
Exactly!! My children turned out just fine, son served a mission and daughters married in the Temple, they walk up rightly before the Lord. We all love decorating our home for Halloween and enjoying the festivities, carnivals, the cake walk and fishing booth. All kept within bounds.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

eddie wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:55 am
Exactly!! My children turned out just fine, son served a mission and daughters married in the Temple, they walk up rightly before the Lord. We all love decorating our home for Halloween and enjoying the festivities, carnivals, the cake walk and fishing booth. All kept within bounds.
My father's side of the family likes to do a pumpkin carving party every year. There's food and also prizes for the kids. This is our 37th year doing this.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Michelle wrote: October 7th, 2017, 8:28 am
eddie wrote: October 7th, 2017, 7:59 am Im not sure high school and tragedy are a fair comparison, in all my years of working with the youth I've never heard one of them say, " My problems all started because of Halloween."
I never said "my problems all started because of Halloween" was a common expression, though I doubt it has helped bring anyone to Christ. I said the phrase "have a little fun" has led to much tragedy. I had plenty of friends in high school who ended up pregnant, leaving with the police and some who died when that phrase was uttered in the right (or wrong, as the case may be) context.
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Halloween. No need to overemphasize the phrase " Have a little fun," the context in which I said it was referring to Halloween. On that note, I have family who work in the ICU and emergency room who tell that one patient said, "It all started as a good time," and , The last thing I remember saying is, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Z2100 wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:57 am
eddie wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:55 am
My father's side of the family likes to do a pumpkin carving party every year. There's food and also prizes for the kids. This is our 37th year doing this.
Pumpkin carving is an awesome tradition!
I love the grandchildren coming to my home to trick or treat in their costumes!

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

captainfearnot wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:32 am
kittycat51 wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:25 am The last several years I have given out "prizes" and have gotten a great response from kids...EXCEPT the teenagers who want candy.
I like that idea. It's not going away so you can either bunker down and wait for it to blow over or you can put a positive spin on it. I remember reading in one of Stephen Covey's books that they required all trick-or-treaters that came to their house to perform for their candy. A song or a dance or a skit or something. And it grew into this huge annual talent show that the neighborhood kids got really in to.
Here is Utah, I just go to Zurcher's party store and buy bulk prizes. I buy things like, mini bottles of bubbles, colorful bouncy balls, mini springs (slinky's), small plastic lizards, etc. BUT the favorite as been colorful key-chain whistles with elastic wrist bands. I think the parents and neighbors hate me for it. I can hear the kids all throughout the neighborhood blowing their whistles every year. :lol: I don't spend much different than when I buy candy. (We have always bought mini candy bars which do cost more than some of the other candy)