Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: Halloween= what are we honoring as holy on this day?

Post by Durzan »

I heard that Halloween was once known as All Hallows eve... and was the day before All Saints Day. The two day holiday was originally supposed to teach Catholics about the second coming. Halloween was the day when evil reigned supreme and has its day, but then Christ comes and banishes the evil the following day.

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

Halloween is harmless fun for most people. There are definitely aspects that are best avoided (anything overtly Satanic or demonic, or very gruesome or gory imagery), but most Halloween customs are perfectly acceptable, even dressing up as different creatures like witches, vampires, and other monsters. We're very far removed from the pagan origins of the holiday, and additionally other practices (like Christmas trees and Easter eggs) also come from pagans.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Michelle wrote: October 7th, 2017, 6:12 am
alaris wrote: October 7th, 2017, 2:45 am I'm not worshiping anything on Halloween except for maybe during my usual prayers. We don't need any extra rules to make us extra righteous. Halloween is harmless unless you are worshipping Satan or using it as an excuse to dress inappropriately. If that's the case then Halloween is not the source of your problems.
I'm not worried about being "extra righteous." I'm worried about having the Spirit to be with me. I'm not excited to drive him away. I'm worried about taking upon me the name of Christ and remembering him. I just don't see how taking on the appearance of zombies and witches equal acting with the dignity Christ's name deserves. I am worried about keeping the commandments. There are scriptures enough about what the Lord thinks of witches and sorcerers and such. Finally, it seems to be a tradition without merit. Why have a day at all to revel in rebellion? It is a day when people go to excess in eating junk food, dressing and acting in a way that drives away the Spirit, and some take opportunity to prank and commit crimes. . . just for fun of course.
2 Nephi 28:7
Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.
Yeah nobody I know that celebrates Halloween says that.

Michelle, I've seen you try to steer several threads away from "Dangerous Speculation" and have urged others towards following the modern day prophets. There is certainly wisdom in what you are saying, however why would the brethren allow Halloween parties at churches if celebrating this "holy" day is wrong?

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

alaris wrote: October 7th, 2017, 8:24 pm
Michelle wrote: October 7th, 2017, 6:12 am
alaris wrote: October 7th, 2017, 2:45 am I'm not worshiping anything on Halloween except for maybe during my usual prayers. We don't need any extra rules to make us extra righteous. Halloween is harmless unless you are worshipping Satan or using it as an excuse to dress inappropriately. If that's the case then Halloween is not the source of your problems.
I'm not worried about being "extra righteous." I'm worried about having the Spirit to be with me. I'm not excited to drive him away. I'm worried about taking upon me the name of Christ and remembering him. I just don't see how taking on the appearance of zombies and witches equal acting with the dignity Christ's name deserves. I am worried about keeping the commandments. There are scriptures enough about what the Lord thinks of witches and sorcerers and such. Finally, it seems to be a tradition without merit. Why have a day at all to revel in rebellion? It is a day when people go to excess in eating junk food, dressing and acting in a way that drives away the Spirit, and some take opportunity to prank and commit crimes. . . just for fun of course.
2 Nephi 28:7
Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.
Yeah nobody I know that celebrates Halloween says that.

Michelle, I've seen you try to steer several threads away from "Dangerous Speculation" and have urged others towards following the modern day prophets. There is certainly wisdom in what you are saying, however why would the brethren allow Halloween parties at churches if celebrating this "holy" day is wrong?
Elder Holland came out and stated that the Harry Potter series was nothing more than the story of some kids getting evil out of their lives, and this was good. Before that, you had people everywhere in the church talking about those books just like MIchelle and others are talking about Halloween.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

This is how I celebrate Halloween, which is without a doubt my FAVORITE holiday.

I hold a dinner party I call the "Feast of the Dead" or "The Dumb Supper" on some night in October, to which my family is invited.

On that night, they all arrive to wait for dinner in a dimly lit front room. Soft music is heard playing from the family room, sometimes eerie, sometimes just old and reminiscent of the dead family member we wish to honor this night.

At the right time ( usually when dinner is ready) I fetch a candle I have previously made ready, strike a match and light it. Now the front room dimmer switch is completely turned off, leaving the house dark, except for this candle and a glow coming from down the hall in the family room. Rising from my seat, I lead everyone in a slow procession across the hall and down the stairs to the family room in a silent and somber paced single single file.

Upon entering the room, we see the dinner table set up for all the guests with chairs all around. Upon this table are glowing candles, a large crystal, and memorabilia, photos, and sometimes a genealogy sheet or two of the dead family member we are honoring I am first to sit down and by a chair that will remain vacant, though a place setting is before it with a name card upon the plate which reveals the ancestor whom we are summoning this night and who will be joining us in our feast of the dead.

On everyone elses' place setting is this poem. When I pick mine up, that is the signal for everyone else to take theirs and chant these lines along with me:

"And so it is, we gather again,
The feast of our dead to begin.
Our Ancients, our Ancestors we invite, Come!
And follow the setting of the sun.

Whom to we call? We call them by name
------------------------------------------------------ ( name the ancestor whose name is on the name card )
Our Ancients have come! Here with us stand
Where every the boutnry, where ever the land
They leave us not, to travel alone;
Flesh of our flesh, bone of our bone!

Welcome within the dead who are kin,
Feast here with us and rest here withing
Our hearth is your hearth and welcome to thee:
Old tales to tell and new visions to see!

( I am actually giving you a toned down and skeleton(lol) version of what happens here. At this point the suggestion is very high that the dead relative has responded to his "summons" and sitting beside me ready to eat with us !)

At this point I give a brief history of the life of the dead we honor, and my feelings concerning him or her, and any personal memories I have. After this others may speak in turn about any memories they also have of this person. Then, we go around the room to see if anyone wants to say something to this dead person. Last year I did this about my step father, and told a story he wrote down of a very life changing experience he had that he wanted to share with all his family, hoping it would encourage them and give them confidence.

This really doesn't take as long as it sounds( not my toned down version, anyway ), especially if the person is someone who died before any of us were born. When we are done, the lights are turned on and dinner that has been waiting for us on the buffet is served.

At least no one can say family history and genealogy is boring at MY house! And just FYI, my brother who wrote a book all about our haunted house we lived in, won't come to my Feast of the Dead. He says I scare him to DEATH!!!! I mean, I have really really freaked out ( and He was an Admiral in the Navy!)

And speaking of stories of the dead, looks like it is that time of year again to light the fires of hell and warm up the StoryHour. And have I ever got a lineup this year!

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

passionflower wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:38 pm This is how I celebrate Halloween, which is without a doubt my FAVORITE holiday.

I hold a dinner party I call the "Feast of the Dead" or "The Dumb Supper" on some night in October, to which my family is invited.

On that night, they all arrive to wait for dinner in a dimly lit front room. Soft music is heard playing from the family room, sometimes eerie, sometimes just old and reminiscent of the dead family member we wish to honor this night.

At the right time ( usually when dinner is ready) I fetch a candle I have previously made ready, strike a match and light it. Now the front room dimmer switch is completely turned off, leaving the house dark, except for this candle and a glow coming from down the hall in the family room. Rising from my seat, I lead everyone in a slow procession across the hall and down the stairs to the family room in a silent and somber paced single single file.

Upon entering the room, we see the dinner table set up for all the guests with chairs all around. Upon this table are glowing candles, a large crystal, and memorabilia, photos, and sometimes a genealogy sheet or two of the dead family member we are honoring I am first to sit down and by a chair that will remain vacant, though a place setting is before it with a name card upon the plate which reveals the ancestor whom we are summoning this night and who will be joining us in our feast of the dead.

On everyone elses' place setting is this poem. When I pick mine up, that is the signal for everyone else to take theirs and chant these lines along with me:

"And so it is, we gather again,
The feast of our dead to begin.
Our Ancients, our Ancestors we invite, Come!
And follow the setting of the sun.

Whom to we call? We call them by name
------------------------------------------------------ ( name the ancestor whose name is on the name card )
Our Ancients have come! Here with us stand
Where every the boutnry, where ever the land
They leave us not, to travel alone;
Flesh of our flesh, bone of our bone!

Welcome within the dead who are kin,
Feast here with us and rest here withing
Our hearth is your hearth and welcome to thee:
Old tales to tell and new visions to see!

( I am actually giving you a toned down and skeleton(lol) version of what happens here. At this point the suggestion is very high that the dead relative has responded to his "summons" and sitting beside me ready to eat with us !)

At this point I give a brief history of the life of the dead we honor, and my feelings concerning him or her, and any personal memories I have. After this others may speak in turn about any memories they also have of this person. Then, we go around the room to see if anyone wants to say something to this dead person. Last year I did this about my step father, and told a story he wrote down of a very life changing experience he had that he wanted to share with all his family, hoping it would encourage them and give them confidence.

This really doesn't take as long as it sounds( not my toned down version, anyway ), especially if the person is someone who died before any of us were born. When we are done, the lights are turned on and dinner that has been waiting for us on the buffet is served.

At least no one can say family history and genealogy is boring at MY house! And just FYI, my brother who wrote a book all about our haunted house we lived in, won't come to my Feast of the Dead. He says I scare him to DEATH!!!! I mean, I have really really freaked out ( and He was an Admiral in the Navy!)

And speaking of stories of the dead, looks like it is that time of year again to light the fires of hell and warm up the StoryHour. And have I ever got a lineup this year!
I wish I was part of your family and friends! You rock!!

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

kittycat51 wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:25 am I agree with Michelle.

As a child I loved Halloween. Who wouldn't? Gorge yourself on all the candy you want! (ick) But something changed as a teenager. I think it was a couple of different events. One was waking up to the evil that existed in the world and two was watching a really scary movie as a teen. I didn't sleep for weeks and I didn't like the way it made me feel. How could a holiday that gloried in trying to scare people bring one closer to Christ or bring peace into ones lives? Satan breeds off of fear.

As a parent I kept up the tradition for my kid's sake. I however only decorated with non-scary cute items. This came to an end with my 3rd son who hated Halloween; it scared him. So all of the decorations got put away. Now my boys are older, I have a few items out, but only pumpkins. As a health conscious person, I HATE giving out candy. No wonder our country is so obese and have so many health problems. We gear our kids from an early age to get addicted to sugar. The last several years I have given out "prizes" and have gotten a great response from kids...EXCEPT the teenagers who want candy. So they don't come to my house anymore. What a shame...not. :P

I could just do without Halloween to begin with and wish it would just go away. To each their own though. (I always wake up on November 1st and say Hooray!)

I like to tease people by saying "Happy Reformation Day!" on October 31st. Some get it, some don't. ;) I also like to watch "Fires of Faith" on BYUtv.com. Traditions I feel like the Spirit can get behind. Always makes me want to take my scripture study more seriously. I am so glad for those who literally gave their lives for us to have the scriptures.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Being long faced, stuffy, and severe about religion was something JS wanted church members to avoid. It comes from Catholics and Protestants ( the witch hunters ). We should also avoid extremism, which was MO of the Pharisees and Sadducees. This whole world is in a state of extremism, it seems.

Counteracting stuff like this is why President McKay ate rum cake in front of people.

Yes, too many women dress like hookers on Halloween ( no matter what the costume is supposed to be ) and the amount of violence and horror for horrors sake is going higher and higher. But this is a problem throughout our society, That doesn't just show up on Halloween. Yes, people are trying to use Halloween to push barriers ever wider, but this is just a reflection of what is going on in our society in general and is s symptom of other deeper problems.

It isn't the fault of Halloween. And getting rid of Halloween is not going to solve those problems.

Halloween used to be the funnest and most wholesome holiday of the year. All the neighborhood was lit up, with the kids "owning" the streets. Everyone's house was open to everyone elses' children and treats were given to all. This was the best time of year. The kids loved dressing up , and they learned some worth ethic. The harder and longer they worked, the more loot they pulled in. Halloween night was an adventure not to be had at any time of year. The kids never knew what would greet tham at each and every door, or what treat would be handed them simply for crying " Trick or Treat!". It was a magical night!

Then some do-gooder women began to call Halloween evil, said it was dangerous because you couldn't trust your neighbors not to poison your kids, and invented the watered down meaningless "trunk and treat". And as if that wasn't controlling enough, now they want to eliminate this holiday all together.
I think some people are so miserable in their religious and social extremism, they can't stand it when someone else has fun and want to stop them.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

passionflower wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:11 pm Being long faced, stuffy, and severe about religion was something JS wanted church members to avoid. It comes from Catholics and Protestants ( the witch hunters ). We should also avoid extremism, which was MO of the Pharisees and Sadducees. This whole world is in a state of extremism, it seems.

Counteracting stuff like this is why President McKay ate rum cake in front of people.

Yes, too many women dress like hookers on Halloween ( no matter what the costume is supposed to be ) and the amount of violence and horror for horrors sake is going higher and higher. But this is a problem throughout our society, That doesn't just show up on Halloween. Yes, people are trying to use Halloween to push barriers ever wider, but this is just a reflection of what is going on in our society in general and is s symptom of other deeper problems.

It isn't the fault of Halloween. And getting rid of Halloween is not going to solve those problems.

Halloween used to be the funnest and most wholesome holiday of the year. All the neighborhood was lit up, with the kids "owning" the streets. Everyone's house was open to everyone elses' children and treats were given to all. This was the best time of year. The kids loved dressing up , and they learned some worth ethic. The harder and longer they worked, the more loot they pulled in. Halloween night was an adventure not to be had at any time of year. The kids never knew what would greet tham at each and every door, or what treat would be handed them simply for crying " Trick or Treat!". It was a magical night!

Then some do-gooder women began to call Halloween evil, said it was dangerous because you couldn't trust your neighbors not to poison your kids, and invented the watered down meaningless "trunk and treat". And as if that wasn't controlling enough, now they want to eliminate this holiday all together.
I think some people are so miserable in their religious and social extremism, they can't stand it when someone else has fun and want to stop them.
What I say and what you hear are not always the same thing.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Michelle wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:19 pm
passionflower wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:11 pm Being long faced, stuffy, and severe about religion was something JS wanted church members to avoid. It comes from Catholics and Protestants ( the witch hunters ). We should also avoid extremism, which was MO of the Pharisees and Sadducees. This whole world is in a state of extremism, it seems.

I wasn't necessarily talking about you or to you.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Maybe, as passionflower said I am being "Being long faced, stuffy, and severe about religion."

Shall we change the discussion?

Let's vote on what the prophet and apostles will dress up as this year!

(I mean except for that one guy who said Halloween wasn't his favorite holiday in General Conference. But he isn't an apostle, so it doesn't count. Well and then Elder Bednar said that thing about. . . nevermind.)

I'm just kidding, of course. ;)

Seriously, I never said you can't celebrate Halloween. I was discussing the point and purpose of Halloween and whether it fit in with traditions worthy of emulating from the world, as well as sharing my own preferences for activities on the date October 31st, including that fact that is the day Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church and set in motion the events that would lead to the restoration of the only true church on the earth today. A pretty cool day in my book.

You can celebrate however you want. But, in the interest of not having lots of little kids sleeping on the floor in my room for a month after the fact, we choose to shut the door and let that party pass us by.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

passionflower wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:20 pm

My mistake. I did start the discussion as well as mention the RS ladies wearing immodest costumes, etc.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

I personally think it's harmless. I've enjoyed many years of taking my kids out dressed up like *insert popular costume here* and trick'or'treating. We actually have some fun family traditions: home-made root-beer, holiday-themed dinner and dessert foods brought in by family, hay-rides down the street as they trick or treat, handing out candy at the front door to neighborhood kids. Our ward has an annual Halloween Party: chili cook off, games for the kids, trunk or treat.

It's all harmless, Americana tradition! I don't read anything into zombie costumes, devil costumes, creepy movies, etc. We don't hold seances or play with Ouija Boards, mind you...but I don't go to bed later that night feeling like the spirit has left my home or that my role as Priesthood holder in my home has been compromised.

It's all about intent.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

"When we’re desperate to become the people we were born to be, our vision changes. We wake up from the spiritual amnesia the adversary so cleverly administers, and suddenly we see things about ourselves, others, and our lives we’ve never seen before. The world’s “fun” and “entertainment” start to look almost ridiculous, perhaps even spiritually dangerous. We begin to see the adversary’s tricks and traps for what they really are—temptations to make us forget our true identity and our destination."

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... e?lang=eng

Becoming the Person You Were Born to Be
Wendy Watson Nelson
An Evening with President Russell M. Nelson
Worldwide Devotional for Young Adults • January 10, 2016 • Brigham Young University–Hawaii
What is the meaning of these scriptural cautions and commandments not to be “of the world” or the modern commandment to “forsake the world”? (D&C 53:2). President Thomas S. Monson summarized these teachings: “We must be vigilant in a world which has moved so far from that which is spiritual. It is essential that we reject anything that does not conform to our standards, refusing in the process to surrender that which we desire most: eternal life in the kingdom of God.”

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... n?lang=eng

The Plan and the Proclamation
By Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Ultimately the meaning for different life moments is whatever you want to decide it is for you personally. If you want to apply superstitious and supernatural thinking to whatever day then go for it. Allowing other people to determine the meaning of any fun you choose to have is unnecessary and giving them too much power over your own thoughts and fun.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Michelle wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:33 pm
passionflower wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:20 pm

My mistake. I did start the discussion as well as mention the RS ladies wearing immodest costumes, etc.
And of course, I agree with you on this. I would be crazy if I didn't. If your kids have gone out trick or treating only to find the moms from your ward come to the door in a skimpy costume, then heck yeah, I guess you have to keep your kids home or risk scarring them for life. Wow, that is terrible. I believe you, because both my DH and I have seen this at work, where otherwise supposedly "nice" LDS women seem to think Halloween is an excuse to sexually show off, and they do it all day long on the job. They aren't cute though, just embarrassing.

I have lived in the neighborhood with GA's in my ward and stake, like E T Benson, and I can assure you their wives didn't roll up their sidewalks on Halloween, but celebrated just everybody else.

What I am referring to in my post, is the slow but steady control mothers started to exert over Halloween. With nothing but urban legends to go on, women in the wards, who loved playing holier than thou ( that's really what I think of it ) started to run how this holiday just "should" be celebrated, for the sake of the kids, of course ( lol) They would say the holiday was too scary, but all they ended up doing was scaring their kids to death of the very people they needed to trust and spread good will among, their own neighbors and ward members.

When my DH first moved to Utah as a teen ager, he made friends with another boy who lived on a farm. This boy had three brothers, who every October turned their barn into a "haunted" house. These boys worked together very well on this project and planned it with great enthusiasm, and developed personal resourcefulness in doing so. This was long before anything like cornmazes came into being. They charged a fee for entrance, and all the proceeds were donated to the ward budget( back when there was such a thing). The boys got nothing out of this for themselves but the fun of doing it, and they gave up six evenings a week for the entire month of October to perform in their haunted house and keep it going.

No kidding, this barn they turned into a haunted house was scary. It was not for children, and even I screamed the entire way through it. Those boys did a good job, and I think the entire ward and stake supported this generous effort.

Try this today, and there will be some ward members grumbling that such a thing is evil and should not be. No matter what good came of it, no matter how much fun the boys had ( and everybody participating certainly had plenty of clothing on !), This is what I mean by pharissee-like. It is just extremism, is without charity, and generally hypocritical, It is a real low level of so called righteousness and is not wholesome, Only IMHO, of course.

I see attacking Halloween as part of the culture war that uses guilt to intimidate the majority, and is just another sign of the times. The same thing is happening to Columbus Day, and soon we will all hear what an evil holiday Thanksgiving is ( again!).

You are who you are, and might have a different perspective on this. Say on.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

The only stance I have seen from the church is , "No masks ," at church parties because it scares the little children.
I'm all for letting everyone have their own opinion, but don't impose it on everyone.
When my son was on his mission, he thanked me for not being a religious zealot, he was shocked at how some of the elders told of how parents made living the gospel drudgery. " Man is that he might have joy,"

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

My wife and I decided befor we had kids the we were going to be boycotting Halloween,santa clause, the tooth fairy and easter bunny.

Why.

Halloween is evil and disturbing in how it's celebrated. Very worldly.

Santa clause you have to lie to your children. I remember how much it hurt me to know my parents lied to me about that to me. And remember not trusting them for some time.

Tooth fairy same thing.
Easter bunny same thing.

Very loudly in my mind is the warning to not follow the vain and foolish traditions of our fathers. Those all fall into that category in my mind.

We celibate Christmas with Christ the focus. Same with Easter. We don't go anywhere near town around Halloween and don't go to trunk or treat.

I was once asked to give a talk on honesty for sacrament.

I enjoyed giving that talk. Like it or not everyone and every kid was told flat out that to lie to our children that santa is real is not ok and that if they currently are they need to repent.

Oh the glares I got. But I also received some of the most heartfelt thanks for my talk from a lot of people in the ward.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

I have to say I agree with Michelle on this. I am not asking anyone to give up their fun holiday or anything. Just include a little thoughtfulness about what we are about when we celebrate the day. And I think that's what Michelle was inviting by the OP: thoughtful discussion, possibly even.... introspection.

I personally get a little creeped out when I see people putting zombies and symbols of death in their yard, especially considering it is primarily "for the kids." I don't think there is any harm in celebrating the holiday, but like ?? said, "it's not my favorite." I would rather focus on fall, harvest, pumpkins and dressing up in fun costumes than death, blood, fear and excuses for showing excessive skin. We make these choices every year, but do we stop to think about what we are doing?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Ezra wrote: October 8th, 2017, 6:23 pm My wife and I decided befor we had kids the we were going to be boycotting Halloween,santa clause, the tooth fairy and easter bunny.

Why.

Halloween is evil and disturbing in how it's celebrated. Very worldly.

Santa clause you have to lie to your children. I remember how much it hurt me to know my parents lied to me about that to me. And remember not trusting them for some time.

Tooth fairy same thing.
Easter bunny same thing.

Very loudly in my mind is the warning to not follow the vain and foolish traditions of our fathers. Those all fall into that category in my mind.

We celibate Christmas with Christ the focus. Same with Easter. We don't go anywhere near town around Halloween and don't go to trunk or treat.

I was once asked to give a talk on honesty for sacrament.

I enjoyed giving that talk. Like it or not everyone and every kid was told flat out that to lie to our children that santa is real is not ok and that if they currently are they need to repent.

Oh the glares I got. But I also received some of the most heartfelt thanks for my talk from a lot of people in the ward.
Ezra, I really appreciate your comment. Not just on this topic. I can count on you to see and say the truth.

We do the same thing. No Santa here, but lots of Christ. No tooth fairy or Easter bunny either. I don't ever want my kids to be confused. We are very clear: Santa is pretend, Christ is real. Even though I have been straightforward with my kids, I had at least one confused because adults at church kept insisting Santa was real. Part of the no Santa for me is that I don't want them to think if lied about Santa I might also be lying about Christ being real, but also I think it is important for kids to realize that the gifts under the tree don't just magically appear. There is work, sacrifice and love that puts them there. I want them to realize that real people gave them those gifts, so that they will want to follow the example of love and serve and bless others as well.

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

Michelle wrote: October 6th, 2017, 10:29 pm So, I haven't been a fan of Halloween for awhile.

But it was only a couple years back that I all of the sudden realized it was worse than I thought.

What does Halloween mean? Whatever the intent long ago, the actual words mean:

Hallow: to honor or make holy
een: contraction of evening=e'en

What exactly are people honoring or making holy that evening? Another way to say it "What are they worshiping?"

I remember as a kid dressing up as a can of soda, a clown, even a hobo. But now, we don't even go to the church trunk or treat anymore (funny, the party use to be held inside with donuts and chili) but with the Relief Society ladies dressing up as Elvira (cleavage, short skirt and all=no garments could be worn under that!) and the kids wearing masks with a little pump that makes it appear as if blood is dripping down their faces I guess they finally decided perhaps it didn't fit with the purpose of the building meant to be used to worship our Heavenly Father.

Where do we draw the line?

Our tradition the last few years is to watch a movie and have a treat at home. We don't hand out candy and we don't even visit family since most are enamored with the chance to dress up as zombies and our kids don't want to see that.

We can hardly take little ones to stores like Walmart and Costco this time of year (started in August this year) with the creepy and over the top decorations and motion sensor witches and worse. A few years back there was a stretch of I-15 that we ended up having to avoid because my then 3 year old and 5 years old would cry and have to sleep in our room if we drove it because of billboards for a zombie run and haunted house.

I ask again, where do we draw the line?

Well let's get rid of santa and the Easter bunny as well...those are pagan holidays....if it bugs you, don't participate....and don't ruin it for others who are able to see the difference between the two...you make your choice, let them make theirs.....there are other religious sects you could join that share your beliefs...like jehovah witnesses ...nice people, don't celebrate Halloween. I'm LDS because we do...we don't confuse Halloween with devil worshipping like we don't confuse old testment ritual of sacrificing animals with witch and devil worship sacrifice of animals. It's your intention. You'll figure it out...hang in there.

My kid gets scared of going through the drive through car washes......that's it..I've had it..we should ban them. It's their fault.

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

Joel wrote: October 8th, 2017, 10:47 am

Ultimately the meaning for different life moments is whatever you want to decide it is for you personally. If you want to apply superstitious and supernatural thinking to whatever day then go for it. Allowing other people to determine the meaning of any fun you choose to have is unnecessary and giving them too much power over your own thoughts and fun.
I feel like the original post should ban her children from stories in the scriptures before condemning others for their yard decorations...have you read the Old Testament stories referring to oral sex....murder, rape....have you heard of nephi chopping of a guys head. I'm just making a point. Some times ultra religious people (or people who claim to be ultra religious) have never read the scriptures.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

TrueIntent wrote: October 8th, 2017, 9:02 pm
Joel wrote: October 8th, 2017, 10:47 am

I feel like the original post should ban her children from stories in the scriptures before condemning others for their yard decorations...have you read the Old Testament stories referring to oral sex....murder, rape....have you heard of nephi chopping of a guys head. I'm just making a point. Some times ultra religious people (or people who claim to be ultra religious) have never read the scriptures.
Yes, we've read them. As you might guess, most of that goes over the head of the little kids. Kind of different seeing Aunt B with fake blood dripping down her face and reading scriptures where you don't get the full meaning.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Well, I'm in a new town this year, so I'll see what goes on for Oct. 31.
In Los Angeles it was vandalism and occasional gunfire. And I was in a good neighborhood.

But I remember the day when I was a child. Chains being dragged over the roof, smashing pumpkins. Then older kids waiting for their pumpkin to be smashed, whereupon the raced out the door, chasing down the pumpkin smasher, and beating them thoroughly.

When I was quite young we went a block or two and got some candy. However, it wasn't long before the reports of razor blades in the candy, broker glass, etc made me decide to stay home. I don't remember ever finding any razor blades or glass, but I soon transitioned to just buying candy at the store if I wanted some.

The city here announced no Halloween program this year. Whatever that means.

I'll have to ask some of the neighbors, and just do what they do. Give out candy maybe. A type of charity?
dc