Why Does the Church Not Allow Excommunicated, Deceased, Gay Persons to be Baptized for the Dead by their Families?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Re: Why Does the Church Not Allow Excommunicated, Deceased, Gay Persons to be Baptized for the Dead by their Families?

Post by AI2.0 »

true intent, I think your topic title was unnecessarily misleading and a big part of the problem with why you felt Church leaders were dealing unjustly with you over this situation.
I believe it had nothing to do with your father's being gay, deceased or excommunicated, I think it was most likely because your father was endowed and excommunicated. Those who have not been to the temple and are excommunicated, only need rebaptism. But, an endowed excommunicant requires more than just rebaptism, it requires action by the 1st pres--a restoration of temple blessings and in this case, a restoration of priesthood. So, it needs to be handled 'in house'. If your father had been alive and wanted to return to the church, he could have been rebaptized himself and then he would have had to have his blessings restored by an Apostle (unless they are not allowing members of the 70 to do the restorations).