the sacrament--bread after the water

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
fireitupLV
Hi, I'm new.

the sacrament--bread after the water

Post by fireitupLV »

Wondering if any of you are aware of any doctrine or policy regarding taking the bread after the water. For example, a family arrives late and is in the foyer. The water is being passed. Is it proper for the deacon to return to the sacrament table and get the bread and take the bead out to the foyer? If so, would the deacon need to take the water as well so the member could partake of the bread before the water? Does it matter? Is there a progressive commitment? Does it matter being there for the prayers? Or, it remembering the savior the important part, which can be done despite the order and despite being there for the prayers. I'm not sure there is church policy on this issue. There is doctrine that cuts both ways though I believe.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: the sacrament--bread after the water

Post by mes5464 »

I think, if you aren't present for the bread then you should abstain from the water. You'll have to get the sacrament next time.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

I agree. If you miss it, take it next week.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

I don't know of any official policy. I've seen it handled by having the passers go back for bread and bring both the bread and water, and I've also seen it handled by telling those who miss the bread that they'll have to do without the sacrament that week. My best guess is that it's the bishop's call.

Strictly personal opinion: it's best if those who don't make it in time just wait a week. Or, if they meet at 9:00, they can always attend an additional meeting at 1:00. :lol:

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

It doesn't matter. The sacrament is symbolic. Take both or one..just know that it is symbolic, otherwise we would be drinking wine....but I don't believe we should rearrange the structure of the church for late people...They are merely performing an ordinance. How you choose to participate in the ordinance is up to you...if you want to repent while partaking....show up on time.