[Deleted]

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Book of the Lamb of God and the Bible--Same or different records?

Post by mes5464 »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 15th, 2017, 4:49 pm The book of the Lamb of God

In 1 Nephi 13 Nephi calls a book that the saints of "the church of the Lamb of God" are carrying, "the book of the Lamb of God":
Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God. (1 Nephi 13:28)

And it came to pass that I beheld the remnant of the seed of my brethren, and also the book of the Lamb of God, which had proceeded forth from the mouth of the Jew, that it came forth from the Gentiles unto the remnant of the seed of my brethren. (1 Nephi 13:38)
The church of the Lamb of God

The church these saints belonged to was called by Nephi, the church of the Lamb of God, as given in 1 Nephi 14:
And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth. (1 Nephi 14:10)

And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon all the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw. (1 Nephi 14:12)

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory. (1 Nephi 14:14)
The Bible

Later, in 2 Nephi 29, Nephi gives a prophecy in which the Gentiles keep mentioning that they have a Bible:
And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible. But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles? (2 Nephi 29:3-4)

Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews? (2 Nephi 29:6)

Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written. (2 Nephi 29:10)
Questions
  1. Is the book of the Lamb of God the same record as the Bible?
  2. If so, then why didn't Joseph Smith use the term "Bible" in 1 Nephi 13? Why did he use two terms?
  3. If not, then what is the book of the Lamb of God?
  4. Is the church of the Lamb of God the same church as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
  5. If so, then why did Nephi/Joseph Smith use a different name for the LDS church?
  6. If not, then what is the church of the Lamb of God, or why is God's church named differently during the times of Nephi's vision?
Questions
  1. Is the book of the Lamb of God the same record as the Bible?
    Yes
  2. If so, then why didn't Joseph Smith use the term "Bible" in 1 Nephi 13? Why did he use two terms?
    Because that is what Nephi write.
  3. If not, then what is the book of the Lamb of God?
  4. Is the church of the Lamb of God the same church as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
    Yes
  5. If so, then why did Nephi/Joseph Smith use a different name for the LDS church?
    Because that is what Nephi write.
  6. If not, then what is the church of the Lamb of God, or why is God's church named differently during the times of Nephi's vision?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Book of the Lamb of God and the Bible--Same or different records?

Post by Robin Hood »

Nephi is quoting the Gentiles saying "a Bible, we have a Bible..."; but clearly he refers to it as the book of the Lamb of God. Same book though, because it goes forth from the Gentiles to the remnant seed of the Lehites just as the Bible does.