The Apotheosis of Me

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

The Apotheosis of Me

Post by Lexew1899 »

I remember seeing a chart at my local stake that showed a Genealogical chart that reached all the way back to Adam and Eve. I always thought it was pretty cool. Well, today I went on Familysearch.com and followed a line all the way back to 800AD. Then I kept clicking back on various family lines, 600AD. Then I went to 300AD. I was on a roll! I just kept going back further and further. I saw crests of Kings, and Queens. This leader here, and that leader there. It was all pretty interesting, but I was just trying to go back further and further.

Well what was my surprise when I just kept going back, 33BC, 200BC. It seemed to never end! I was like, wow, somebody did a lot of work compiling all of this. Then I got into a line of the "Troys". It was at that point that I realized this things was going to go ALL the way back. And it happened, I was all the way back to Issac and Jacob. Abraham, all of the really cool guys from the OT.

Well truth be told I wasn't sure how much of it was accurate, but I didn't care. I wanted to see how far back it went! Then I saw some really cool names. Noah, Seth, ADAM! Yup, I go alllllllllll the way back!

So I guess now that my Genealogy is all done I have reached Apotheosis, never have to go to church again, and have achieved God mode.

All joking aside, I never actually knew this was in Familysearch.com. Has anybody else got a line that goes back to this?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: The Apotheosis of Me

Post by kittycat51 »

Yes mine does too and I don't believe MOST of it. Royal genealogists fudged lines all the time to make them look good for their royal masters. (Filling in gaps where missing data was) As a genealogist myself I know that lines that go back more than 7 generations are hard to prove... unless you have proof from say a 3-4 great grandparent, of their 3-4 great grandparents. It's all fun but don't take any stock in it. With all of the great resources we have at our fingertips via the internet regarding family history research, it makes it much easier to search and more accurate and quick. Having said that most people still don't know what they are doing, it makes me cringe. :? When most of these so called charts back to Adam were done, it was time consuming and inaccurate with many mistakes.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Yeah I doubt most of it. But if they ever ask me in Sunday school if I need help with genealogy, I'll say, nope. It's all done. I already got it traced back to Great Grandpa Adam.
Last edited by Lexew1899 on September 13th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

Lexew1899 wrote: September 13th, 2017, 3:40 pm I remember seeing a chart at my local stake that showed a Genealogical chart that reached all the way back to Adam and Eve. I always thought it was pretty cool. Well, today I went on Familysearch.com and followed a line all the way back to 800AD. Then I kept clicking back on various family lines, 600AD. Then I went to 300AD. I was on a roll! I just kept going back further and further. I saw crests of Kings, and Queens. This leader here, and that leader there. It was all pretty interesting, but I was just trying to go back further and further.

Well what was my surprise when I just kept going back, 33BC, 200BC. It seemed to never end! I was like, wow, somebody did a lot of work compiling all of this. Then I got into a line of the "Troys". It was at that point that I realized this things was going to go ALL the way back. And it happened, I was all the way back to Issac and Jacob. Abraham, all of the really cool guys from the OT.

Well truth be told I wasn't sure how much of it was accurate, but I didn't care. I wanted to see how far back it went! Then I saw some really cool names. Noah, Seth, ADAM! Yup, I go alllllllllll the way back!

So I guess now that my Genealogy is all done I have reached Apotheosis, never have to go to church again, and have achieved God mode.

All joking aside, I never actually knew this was in Familysearch.com. Has anybody else got a line that goes back to this?
This type of hypothetical/mythological linking of people without proof or evidence of any sort in my opinion is not only a waste of time, but there is something wrong with this, and real harm in this. Not only are people wasting time doing this, but it takes away time and energy from doing actual family history and delivering real people from Spirit prison to paradise, and linking real family lines, when those people are waiting for hundreds of years in that state. If you love those in the Spirit world, and have charity for them, you will do what it takes to rescue them, and not waste time and energy. The wasting of time and energy that could be focused on REAL temple work and REAL family history is a manifestation of a lack of love for those who have passed on. Therefore, it does real harm to these people that are dead who need their work done, forcing them to wait even longer for it to be done. If it is in Familysearch on the actual family tree that people rely on for doing ordinances, it makes a mockery of the ordinances and the Temple, and of sacred computer records that are analogous to the physical records that used to be kept in the temple of ordinances performed. Can you imagine someone being baptized for King Arthur? Is that not a mockery, when someone like this never existed in reality? It makes a mockery of real family history and the Spirit of Elijah. I have a chart from a grandparent that she got from somebody, and the chart tries to link one of my family lines back to Adam through King Arthur, a mythological figure, and it makes me cringe. My hope is that nobody has been able to actually perform ordinances with this nonsense. Its not only harmful and plays upon gullibility. Its a plain lie. And the people that do this kind of stuff in family search ought to be sanctioned in some way, and ought to be ashamed with polluting something holy with something that is profane. It surprises me that more people are not disturbed about this stuff.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I agree with Ed on this.
Stick to the 4 generations, and then go back further when that is all done.
Having said that, I would be interested to know if it goes back beyond Adam. ;)

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

That was as far back as it would let me click. Although I think I'm going to put Heavenly Father's genealogy up there come to think of it.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

i dont even know how this is possible, lol. Especially considering the bad record keeping, deaths and births that were never recorded, etc.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

I have King Arthur and Robin Hood in my lineage. That's when I started to get suspicious...

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

captainfearnot wrote: September 14th, 2017, 12:55 pm I have King Arthur and Robin Hood in my lineage. That's when I started to get suspicious...
I have Old King Cole.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

mcusick wrote: September 14th, 2017, 4:41 pm
captainfearnot wrote: September 14th, 2017, 12:55 pm I have King Arthur and Robin Hood in my lineage. That's when I started to get suspicious...
I have Old King Cole.
Yeah, that's another one on this same line too with King Aurthur. It's ridiculous.