Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Let's counter evil and hate with love and compassion for others

Post by Arenera »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:43 pm On this 16th anniversary of 9/11 a day of hate, let's not let Satan win by stirring up anger and hate in us. In my mind the only way to defeat evil and hate towards others is by showing love and compassion toward others, so try to show love and show love can defeat hate and God always wins and defeats Satan.
There are examples in the Book of Mormon. The Anti Nephi Lehies would not lift up a sword, this was due to the gravity of their sins before they joined the church.

Then there is Captain Moroni, who didn't want to shed blood, but the dissident Nephites caused the Lamanites to battle anyway.

The adversary is in this to take as many people to hell as he can. Being nice will not work when the adversary is in it. That is why he and his followers were cast out of heaven.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

CelestialAngel wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:43 pm On this 16th anniversary of 9/11 a day of hate, let's not let Satan win by stirring up anger and hate in us. In my mind the only way to defeat evil and hate towards others is by showing love and compassion toward others, so try to show love and show love can defeat hate and God always wins and defeats Satan.
Here here!

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Recognising the many degrees of evil and shunning it is not hate. The followers of Charles Manson, hippies everywhere, those who push the slogans Love is Love, All we need is Love, etc do not lead to nor embrace a Celestial lifestyle.

“Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
As to be hated needs but to be seen;
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace.”
― Alexander Pope
Arenera wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:12 pm The adversary is in this to take as many people to hell as he can. Being nice will not work when the adversary is in it. That is why he and his followers were cast out of heaven.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Nothing to draw out justifications for being ill tempered than a thread on being nice.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

Arenera wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:12 pm
There are examples in the Book of Mormon. The Anti Nephi Lehies would not lift up a sword, this was due to the gravity of their sins before they joined the church.

Then there is Captain Moroni, who didn't want to shed blood, but the dissident Nephites caused the Lamanites to battle anyway.

The adversary is in this to take as many people to hell as he can. Being nice will not work when the adversary is in it. That is why he and his followers were cast out of heaven.
I think Captain Moroni hit the balance pretty well. Seems like he recognized that sometimes the most effective form of love and compassion is reproof with sharpness rather than "being nice". At the same time, he was clearly prone to spare as many lives as he could and give his enemies an out, doing good to those who hated him and his people even when they frankly didn't deserve it.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Arandur wrote: September 11th, 2017, 6:42 pm
Arenera wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I think Captain Moroni hit the balance pretty well. Seems like he recognized that sometimes the most effective form of love and compassion is reproof with sharpness rather than "being nice". At the same time, he was clearly prone to spare as many lives as he could and give his enemies an out, doing good to those who hated him and his people even when they frankly didn't deserve it.
Yes. D&C 121 uses the word betimes which means "at times" - it is the exception to the rule and how Captain Moroni treats people during a time of war is not the basis of how we treat each other in forums where civility shouldn't be such a tall order. Where's the angel smiley? I'll make one:

<>
:D

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

alaris wrote: September 11th, 2017, 6:50 pm
Yes. D&C 121 uses the word betimes which means "at times" - it is the exception to the rule and how Captain Moroni treats people during a time of war is not the basis of how we treat each other in forums where civility shouldn't be such a tall order. Where's the angel smiley? I'll make one:

<>
:D
Yeah. In a forum that's supposed to be about coming together to discuss the gospel of Jesus Christ, liberty, and principles of righteous government, I would hope that we could all disagree without going into rebuke mode too often, let alone getting personal or bitter. We're all at least trying to be on the same team, after all.

With respect to war, 9/11, terrorism, etc., things understandably get a bit more serious. But as OP suggests, even in the face of great evil it's critical to develop and maintain charity, and to never let hate become the motive for whatever action or attitude we take toward responsible parties. The worth of every soul is great in the eyes of God.