"What a powerful name is Jesus!"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

"What a powerful name is Jesus!"

Post by diligently seeking »

https://youtu.be/nQWFzMvCfLE

A wonderful friend sent this song to me this morning. Wow... What a beautiful affect it had on me... I am so grateful for Jesus...
I hope and pray you all have a beautiful week in Jesus! ❤

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: "What a powerful name is Jesus!"

Post by Alaris »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Official Video)

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Not sure why but I've never been a fan of Christian Rock. It doesn't do it for me. I even dislike Mormon singers who try to add to the hymns and make them their own with weird voice inflections that sound like sick dogs and cats. But I like most of MoTab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2arm5y ... 2arm5ydeJc

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

shadow wrote: September 11th, 2017, 2:34 pm Not sure why but I've never been a fan of Christian Rock. It doesn't do it for me. I even dislike Mormon singers who try to add to the hymns and make them their own with weird voice inflections that sound like sick dogs and cats. But I like most of MoTab.
I hate smurfs.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

shadow wrote: September 11th, 2017, 2:34 pm Not sure why but I've never been a fan of Christian Rock. It doesn't do it for me. I even dislike Mormon singers who try to add to the hymns and make them their own with weird voice inflections that sound like sick dogs and cats. But I like most of MoTab.
How about;

" When the roll is called up yonder."

It has a snappy little tune. It just might do it for you!

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

I really think it may in part be tied into this verse of scripture found in section 123:

12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—

So many evangelical Christians have absolutely 0 interest in the restored gospel message because they have been constantly exposed to this brand of feel good Christian rock and other forms of worshipful manifestations coming out of these sects and denominations. They feel like they have already discovered Jesus in every sense and have no need of any other form of doctrine or ordinances in their lives. It keeps them from opening up their hearts to the message of the restored gospel. That is the potential danger of this IMO.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Mark wrote: September 12th, 2017, 2:13 pm
I really think it may in part be tied into this verse of scripture found in section 123:

12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—

So many evangelical Christians have absolutely 0 interest in the restored gospel message because they have been constantly exposed to this brand of feel good Christian rock and other forms of worshipful manifestations coming out of these sects and denominations. They feel like they have already discovered Jesus in every sense and have no need of any other form of doctrine or ordinances in their lives. It keeps them from opening up their hearts to the message of the restored gospel. That is the potential danger of this IMO.

Are you sure it is not more:

Too many Mormons struggle to build on common ground and knowingly or un-knowingly elevate themselves above their fellow christian brothers and sisters-- which is a turn off to them and a poor reflection of Jesus to them?

Elder Perry said and quoted:
Moroni’s last words to the members of the Church are written as a voice of warning. He writes as one who sees the history of his people repeating itself in the future. From the Book of Mormon we read:

“Behold, the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you.

“Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.

“And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts.

“For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

“O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world?” (Morm. 8:34–38.)
Last edited by diligently seeking on September 13th, 2017, 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

JaredBees wrote: September 12th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Too many Mormons struggle to build on common ground and knowingly or un-knowingly elevate themselves above their fellow christian brothers and sisters-- which is a turn off to them and a poor reflection of Jesus to them?
Since my fellow christian brothers and sisters tell me constantly that I am a heathen in danger of going to hell for not accepting the proper Jesus whom they worship and know... I'm not sure if your hypothesis has a whole lot of merit Bro in law of Jared. Maybe I should start apologizing for Joseph and his personal experiences with Deity and they will like me a whole lot more?

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Mark wrote: September 12th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Since my fellow christian brothers and sisters tell me constantly that I am a heathen in danger of going to hell for not accepting the proper Jesus whom they worship and know... I'm not sure if your hypothesis has a whole lot of merit Bro in law of Jared. Maybe I should start apologizing for Joseph and his personal experiences with Deity and they will like me a whole lot more?

Yep trying to build on common ground difficulties and attacking subtlety or overtly does not win friends nor influence them... What you quip and say to me and others who do not fit your paradigm ---makes me wonder about the negative cause and effect results you have with fellow believers of Christ etc.

At the end of the day that old expression holds most true as it pertains to persuading in the truths of Christ: if you want to share that which you have-- shine brightly in and through Christ.
I personally need to improve on my light wattage. My Hope and Faith is in Christ-- this gives me great confidence. :)

2 peter 1
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

JaredBees wrote: September 12th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Yep trying to build on common ground difficulties and attacking subtlety or overtly does not win friends nor influence them... What you quip and say to me and others who do not fit your paradigm ---makes me wonder about the negative cause and effect results you have with fellow believers of Christ etc.

At the end of the day that old expression holds most true as it pertains to persuading in the truths of Christ: if you want to share that which you have-- shine brightly in and through Christ.
I personally need to improve on my light wattage. My Hope and Faith is in Christ-- this gives me great confidence. :)

2 peter 1
Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall
What paradigm is that? Once many of my non member christian friends and acquaintances know of my faith they usually place an adverse judgment upon me for not towing their own biblical evangelical line. They do not consider me to be either Christian or bible centered in my beliefs but instead see me as part of a freakish cultist movement established by fraudulent con men. Is that my fault? I do not judge them for those differences. I also do not apologize for those differences. Do you live in happy valley brother? Take a trip outside the bubble and Go read Joseph Smiths history to a group of evangelicals and see how that turns out for you. Especially the part about the Lord condemning abominable creeds and all the sects being wrong. I'm sure your light wattage is far greater than mine and they will welcome all those differences with open arms. 8-)

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Mark wrote: September 12th, 2017, 4:50 pm
JaredBees wrote: September 12th, 2017, 3:28 pm

2 peter 1
What paradigm is that? Once many of my non member christian friends and acquaintances know of my faith they usually place an adverse judgment upon me for not towing their own biblical evangelical line. They do not consider me to be either Christian or bible centered in my beliefs but instead see me as part of a freakish cultist movement established by fraudulent con men. Is that my fault? I do not judge them for those differences. I also do not apologize for those differences. Do you live in happy valley brother? Take a trip outside the bubble and Go read Joseph Smiths history to a group of evangelicals and see how that turns out for you. Especially the part about the Lord condemning abominable creeds and all the sects being wrong. I'm sure your light wattage is far greater than mine and they will welcome all those differences with open arms. 8-)

Chuckle...

Give um Jesus, Mark. Through restoration resources----mostly through his goodness that burns with in you you will be primed out! Yes? What was that John Pontius story of those evangelicals coming around his neighborhood in Alaska and how he approached them-- what was the end result...? (Journey to the veil book)
We have talked Pontius before-- pretty for certain you're down with that story?

I'm in Ogden Valley-- and jealous of your opportunities...

I have plenty though. I had a couple of them today yesterday and everyday this week.

Ps
2 years in the Bible Belt never did "your Creeds are an abomination" expressions come up....

for that matter never has that come up in the 20-plus years I've been home from the mission.

Shine The truths of Jesus, Mark....