Deleted

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
inho
captain of 1,000

Re: Endowed Mormons and cremation

Post by inho »

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. The family of the deceased must decide whether the body should be cremated, taking into account any laws governing burial or cremation. In some countries, the law requires cremation.

Where possible, the body of a deceased member who has been endowed should be dressed in temple clothing when it is cremated. A funeral service may be held (see 18.6).

Handbook 2: 21.3.2
CelestialAngel wrote: does anyone think this has anything to do with the resurrection?
Maybe. However, everybody will be resurrected whether cremated, in pieces or whatever. So, I don't understand why one couldn't be cremated.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

You can access Handbook 2 online and read the church's position on cremation. Essentially, they discourage it. I imagine it has to do with respect for the body and its resting place and looking forward to the resurrection. I must say, I have had experience with both, and while there is a lot to be said in favor of cremation, there is something moving and powerful about laying a body to rest in dignity in the earth.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

They don't discourage it in countries where it is the most popular mode of burial. They fold the temple clothing next to the body and then cremate them along with the body. At least, that is what I recall from reading it in the handbook years ago.

Celestial angel, I don't think you should be worrying so much about this. You can certainly give your wishes on what you'd like done with your remains, but your surviving family members will be the ones who really make the decisions and I assume you don't want to stress them out too much with having to make arrangements after your death.

On thing you might consider. If you donate your body to science you can do some good, have a closed casket funeral (or no casket, since there's nothing in it) and then your remains will be cremated when they are finished with the dissections. I know a very sweet devout LDS lady who did this and her ashes were sent to her family when the school of medicine was finished with them. Then, they were able to scatter her ashes or keep them or have them buried with a headstone.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

My neighbor had her endowed mother cremated. They dressed her in the clothes and then had her cremated while wearing them.
My grandmother donated her body you the local university. She had nothing to leave her kids to help pay for a funeral so this was her last gift. They then cremated her and sent my aunt her ashes.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Yahtzee wrote: September 9th, 2017, 1:33 am My neighbor had her endowed mother cremated. They dressed her in the clothes and then had her cremated while wearing them.
My grandmother donated her body you the local university. She had nothing to leave her kids to help pay for a funeral so this was her last gift. They then cremated her and sent my aunt her ashes.
Yes, this is the way it's done.

And yes, a cremation costs money, but it's cheaper than a casket and burial place (unless you use pine and already have a plot--just not going to happen for most people, though).