Help me locate a scripture cited in recent post

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
zionbuilder
captain of 100

Help me locate a scripture cited in recent post

Post by zionbuilder »

I believe the scripture is in the old testament and it referenced a person who would not cry or not shed tears, and the person was citing this scripture in reference to an end time servant, or Davidic servant in the latter days. I've gone through many posts, but haven't had an success in locating the post or scripture. If you could direct me to the scripture or post, I'd be grateful.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Re: Help me locate a scripture cited in recent post

Post by oneClimbs »

There are only three verses that look similar to this:

Psalm 116:8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.

Jeremiah 31:16 Thus saith the Lord; Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears: for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the Lord; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.

Ezekiel 24:16 Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with a stroke: yet neither shalt thou mourn nor weep, neither shall thy tears run down.

If the Davidic Servant doesn't cry or weep then we can rule out Elder Eyring or Holland. Only 8 billion more to go...

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

Thanks. Those three were not the scripture as I remember it. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't the new treatment. Maybe it was D&C or book of Mormon? But I'm fairly certain it was the old testament. Just need to find that post again, I suppose

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

Do you believe this is talking about the Savior, davidic servant or both?

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Ezekiel 13:21 Your kerchiefs also will I tear, and deliver my people out of your hand, and they shall be no more in your hand to be hunted; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.

Isaiah 65:19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

D&C 88:66 Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness—in the wilderness, because you cannot see him—my voice, because my voice is Spirit; my Spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound.

OK, so thinking about this I wonder if maybe you are mixed up? Sorry to say that, but don't be mad that I said it.

The reason I said that is that ALL of the scriptures are filled with the prophets crying unto God for help. In fact the greater the prophet, the MORE they cried unto God. We have Enoch crying unto God, and then he asks the Lord why he weeps. We have scriptures of the Lord weeping for the people both in his earthly ministry and without. We have the Book of Mormon prophets before Christ's resurrection; Nephi crying unto God on his tower, Old Testament prophets in many different years crying unto God to save the people and because of their wickedness; indeed, one of the books is called 'Lamantations' because of the prophets crying unto God.

Also you have one very interesting scripture...and this is probably the only one that it could possibly be similar to;

The 3 Nephites are told they won't feel pain, or death, or hunger while doing the work of the Lord save it be only a pain and sorrow for the wickedness of the people. You can find these references in 3 Nephi Chapter 28;

4 And when he had spoken unto them, he turned himself unto the three, and said unto them: What will ye that I should do unto you, when I am gone unto the Father?
5 And they sorrowed in their hearts, for they durst not speak unto him the thing which they desired.
6 And he said unto them: Behold, I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.
7 Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven.
8 And ye shall never endure the pains of death; but when I shall come in my glory ye shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye from mortality to immortality; and then shall ye be blessed in the kingdom of my Father.
9 And again, ye shall not have pain while ye shall dwell in the flesh, neither sorrow save it be for the sins of the world; and all this will I do because of the thing which ye have desired of me, for ye have desired that ye might bring the souls of men unto me, while the world shall stand.
10 And for this cause ye shall have fulness of joy; and ye shall sit down in the kingdom of my Father; yea, your joy shall be full, even as the Father hath given me fulness of joy; and ye shall be even as I am, and I am even as the Father; and the Father and I are one;

If there is such a thing, it to my mind could only be something similar to that above, because the very nature of priesthood leaders and prophets is crying out to the Lord to bless the people and help them come back. They weep because of how many are lost, and will continue to be that way until the Millenium.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

zionbuilder wrote: September 7th, 2017, 3:02 am I believe the scripture is in the old testament and it referenced a person who would not cry or not shed tears, and the person was citing this scripture in reference to an end time servant, or Davidic servant in the latter days. I've gone through many posts, but haven't had an success in locating the post or scripture. If you could direct me to the scripture or post, I'd be grateful.

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

Alaris wrote: May 14th, 2018, 9:27 am
zionbuilder wrote: September 7th, 2017, 3:02 am I believe the scripture is in the old testament and it referenced a person who would not cry or not shed tears, and the person was citing this scripture in reference to an end time servant, or Davidic servant in the latter days. I've gone through many posts, but haven't had an success in locating the post or scripture. If you could direct me to the scripture or post, I'd be grateful.

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law
------------------------
Avraham Gileadi
http://www.isaiahexplained.com/42#commentary

1 My servant whom I sustain,
my chosen one in whom I delight,
him I have endowed with my Spirit;
he will dispense justice to the nations.

Jehovah sustains and endows with his Spirit his servant (Isaiah 11:2; 48:16; 61:1), who here appears under his spiritual (and often suffering) persona (Isaiah 49:7; 50:7-10; 52:14; 53:11). Jehovah commissions him to restore justice to the “nations” or “Gentiles” (goyim), inferring that there is no justice or only a façade of justice among his people and the nations (Isaiah 5:7; 10:1-2; 59:11, 15). Types of Jehovah’s “servant” or vassal include Isaiah (Isaiah 20:3), Eliakim (Isaiah 22:20), Cyrus (Isaiah 44:26-28), Hezekiah (Isaiah 37:15-20; 38:2-6), Moses (Isaiah 63:11-14), and David (Isaiah 55:3-4).

Because no one type covers all the end-time roles Jehovah’s servant fulfills, Isaiah presents him under different personas. Consistent with persons in the seraph category, his mission, like those of Moses and Elijah, is international in scope (Exodus 3:16-22; 1 Kings 19:15-16). At first directed to the Jacob/Israel category of Jehovah’s people dispersed among the nations (Isaiah 11:10-12; 41:8-9; 43:1-8; 49:8-12), the servant’s task is to bring as many as will repent to renew the covenant with Jehovah and to ascend to higher spiritual categories (v 21; Isaiah 44:1-5, 21-22; 45:19-25; 46:12-13).

2 He will not shout or raise his voice
to make himself heard in public.

3 Even a bruised reed he will not break;
a dim wick he will not snuff out.
He will perform the work of justice
in the cause of truth.

The servant’s mission is one of compassion for all, including those who typify a “bruised reed” and “dim wick.” Word links identify these terms with Egypt and Babylon (Isaiah 36:6; 43:14-17), signifying the scope of the servant’s mission from one end of the world to the other. The emphasis on “justice” (vv 1-4)—justice based on the “truth,” not on parodies of justice (Isaiah 1:17; 29:21; 48:1; 58:6, 9; 59:12-16)—accords with its twin term “righteousness” (sedeq/saddiq/sedaqa) (Isaiah 1:21, 27; 16:5; 28:17; 32:1; 56:1), which Jehovah’s servant exemplifies (Isaiah 11:5; 41:2, 26; 45:19; 46:11-13; 58:8).

4 Neither shall he himself grow dim or be bruised
until he has brought about justice in the earth.
The isles await his law.

The idea of a person who doesn’t grow dim or bruised alludes to the servant’s attaining seraph status, as did Moses, whose “his eye was not dim nor his natural force abated,” when, at the age of a hundred-and-twenty, he passed on from among his people (Deuteronomy 34:7). Like Moses, the servant is a lawgiver to Jehovah’s people among the nations: “Give ear and come unto me; pay heed, that your souls may live! And I will make with you an everlasting covenant: [my] loving fidelity toward David. See, I have appointed him as a witness to the nations, a prince and lawgiver of the peoples” (Isaiah 55:3-4).

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I AM wrote: May 14th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Alaris wrote: May 14th, 2018, 9:27 am

------------------------
Avraham Gileadi
http://www.isaiahexplained.com/42#commentary

1 My servant whom I sustain,
my chosen one in whom I delight,
him I have endowed with my Spirit;
he will dispense justice to the nations.

Jehovah sustains and endows with his Spirit his servant (Isaiah 11:2; 48:16; 61:1), who here appears under his spiritual (and often suffering) persona (Isaiah 49:7; 50:7-10; 52:14; 53:11). Jehovah commissions him to restore justice to the “nations” or “Gentiles” (goyim), inferring that there is no justice or only a façade of justice among his people and the nations (Isaiah 5:7; 10:1-2; 59:11, 15). Types of Jehovah’s “servant” or vassal include Isaiah (Isaiah 20:3), Eliakim (Isaiah 22:20), Cyrus (Isaiah 44:26-28), Hezekiah (Isaiah 37:15-20; 38:2-6), Moses (Isaiah 63:11-14), and David (Isaiah 55:3-4).

Because no one type covers all the end-time roles Jehovah’s servant fulfills, Isaiah presents him under different personas. Consistent with persons in the seraph category, his mission, like those of Moses and Elijah, is international in scope (Exodus 3:16-22; 1 Kings 19:15-16). At first directed to the Jacob/Israel category of Jehovah’s people dispersed among the nations (Isaiah 11:10-12; 41:8-9; 43:1-8; 49:8-12), the servant’s task is to bring as many as will repent to renew the covenant with Jehovah and to ascend to higher spiritual categories (v 21; Isaiah 44:1-5, 21-22; 45:19-25; 46:12-13).

2 He will not shout or raise his voice
to make himself heard in public.

3 Even a bruised reed he will not break;
a dim wick he will not snuff out.
He will perform the work of justice
in the cause of truth.

The servant’s mission is one of compassion for all, including those who typify a “bruised reed” and “dim wick.” Word links identify these terms with Egypt and Babylon (Isaiah 36:6; 43:14-17), signifying the scope of the servant’s mission from one end of the world to the other. The emphasis on “justice” (vv 1-4)—justice based on the “truth,” not on parodies of justice (Isaiah 1:17; 29:21; 48:1; 58:6, 9; 59:12-16)—accords with its twin term “righteousness” (sedeq/saddiq/sedaqa) (Isaiah 1:21, 27; 16:5; 28:17; 32:1; 56:1), which Jehovah’s servant exemplifies (Isaiah 11:5; 41:2, 26; 45:19; 46:11-13; 58:8).

4 Neither shall he himself grow dim or be bruised
until he has brought about justice in the earth.
The isles await his law.

The idea of a person who doesn’t grow dim or bruised alludes to the servant’s attaining seraph status, as did Moses, whose “his eye was not dim nor his natural force abated,” when, at the age of a hundred-and-twenty, he passed on from among his people (Deuteronomy 34:7). Like Moses, the servant is a lawgiver to Jehovah’s people among the nations: “Give ear and come unto me; pay heed, that your souls may live! And I will make with you an everlasting covenant: [my] loving fidelity toward David. See, I have appointed him as a witness to the nations, a prince and lawgiver of the peoples” (Isaiah 55:3-4).
What a coincidence! I read that earlier and considered posting it.

I believe the spirit of verse 2 means that once the servant is awakened to his identity (Isaiah 51:9,) he will not necessarily run out and shout out his mission from the rooftops or announce himself. I mean, what would you do if God told you, "Art thou not it that hath cut rahab and wounded the dragon?"

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Yeah if you mean crying like shouting then you have Isaiah 42. But if you mean crying like weeping, I'm not aware of any scripture about that connected with the last days servant. Though there is plenty of symbolism relating to the eye or eyes, which might have a bit to do with him. How did this scripture strike you? What prompted you to ask about it?