People claiming to have seen Christ

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

People claiming to have seen Christ

Post by drtanner »

Lots of people claiming to have had a visit with Christ these days. Some ironically using their claimed experiences to lead people away from his church.

How do you discern whether these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims? Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?

I believe we may see more and more of this technique as we prepare for him to return.
Last edited by drtanner on September 6th, 2017, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: People claiming to have seen Christ

Post by Rose Garden »

drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Lots of people claiming to have had a visit with Christ these days. Some ironically using their claimed experiences to lead people away from his church.

How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?

I believe we may see more and more of this technique as we prepare for him to return.
I have several friends who say they have seen Christ or see him on a regular basis. I believe them and have learned many valuable lessons from associating with them, the most important of which is that they are just as screwed up as the rest of us. Of course, I'm sure many people here would say they are more screwed up but what I understand is that seeing Christ doesn't necessarily make you any wiser or more moral than anyone else. I don't know anyone who claimed to have seen him and later retracted their claim.

I do believe that it's beneficial to consider their claims with an open mind and heart. There is never any danger in taking new ideas to the Lord and allowing him to teach you about them. I do believe it becomes a problem if you begin to idolize the person because you believe they have seen Christ. That is another important lesson I've learned--that my personal spiritual journey is just as valid as anyone else's, regardless of the nature of my experiences. Though I've never seen Christ, I can still build a firm foundation on his words, firmer perhaps than those who have seen him but still don't seem to have integrated his teachings into their lives.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Lots of people claiming to have had a visit with Christ these days. Some ironically using their claimed experiences to lead people away from his church.

How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?

His is a stupid thread. Only Prophets and Apostles can see Christ face to face.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am His is a stupid thread. Only Prophets and Apostles can see Christ face to face.
Is this really your belief or are you just trolling?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

inho wrote: September 5th, 2017, 11:24 am
Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am His is a stupid thread. Only Prophets and Apostles can see Christ face to face.
Is this really your belief or are you just trolling?
I am wondering if he is being sarcastic........it's hard to tell without a sarcasm emoji.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?
If they don't claim any authority based on these experiments or bring forth any commandments for other people, does it matter to me if their personal experience is real or not? If they try to lead people away from the church that is already a sign that something is not right.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

inho wrote: September 5th, 2017, 11:31 am
drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?
If they don't claim any authority based on these experiments or bring forth any commandments for other people, does it matter to me if their personal experience is real or not? If they try to lead people away from the church that is already a sign that something is not right.
That's the dead give away.
The other dead give away is, if they start on a professional speaking career, and writing career based on such experiences. Then also you know they are phonies, simply out to make a buck.
Same for the so called "near death experience" hucksters. Who also glory in the ego building associated with becoming a self appointed guru. Pure pride.
As well as fortune tellers, soothsayers, and earthquake predictors.
dc

But, yes, otherwise why would I care? No reason.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am

Why?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Meili wrote: September 5th, 2017, 10:56 am

I have several friends who say they have seen Christ or see him on a regular basis. I believe them and have learned many valuable lessons from associating with them, the most important of which is that they are just as screwed up as the rest of us. Of course, I'm sure many people here would say they are more screwed up but what I understand is that seeing Christ doesn't necessarily make you any wiser or more moral than anyone else. I don't know anyone who claimed to have seen him and later retracted their claim.

I do believe that it's beneficial to consider their claims with an open mind and heart. There is never any danger in taking new ideas to the Lord and allowing him to teach you about them. I do believe it becomes a problem if you begin to idolize the person because you believe they have seen Christ. That is another important lesson I've learned--that my personal spiritual journey is just as valid as anyone else's, regardless of the nature of my experiences. Though I've never seen Christ, I can still build a firm foundation on his words, firmer perhaps than those who have seen him but still don't seem to have integrated his teachings into their lives.

I do not have an open mind.
I think the concept of an open mind implies an empty mind, or one with some space in it.
Over the many years, I have filled my mind with a whole lot. College, a professional graduate school, and a long career in a profession, and I need to forget a whole lot, before I have any available space in my mind.
Therefore I am going to be very careful and select in what goes in there. There indeed is only so much space, total.

As to an open heart. I would like to think I have an open heart. But I'm not at all sure what that means. People constantly talk about "feelings" and "how do you feel about that" and all that.
I usually don't feel anything. Maybe I have a heart of stone.
But I really don't "feel" a lot. I think. i add, subtract, multiply, etc. Weigh and balance. Do research. Read, look for new opportunity. So I have to be concerned about thinking about what's important rather than what someone else has got going.
dc

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Red wrote: September 5th, 2017, 11:58 am

Why?
Because then we start talking about weird stuff and then Denver Snuffer. See? I just said his name.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Why?
Because then we start talking about weird stuff and then Denver Snuffer. See? I just said his name.
lol ok. i barely even know his name, much less anything about him.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I know someone who claims to have seen Christ in vision. She was at a really low point, having pretty much fallen away from the church because of a divorce and how poorly people going through divorce are treated in this church. She was violating the law of chastity (after being endowed and sealed), and high at the time. But the experience helped to turn her around.

I know others who have tried being faithful for most of their lives but have never had such a vision.

I judge these accounts on the following:
Is the person quick to share it or do the hold it sacred?
How did the alleged experience help the person and how does the account help me?
Are they claiming to have received new doctrine?

If they are claiming new doctrine or they are quick to share the story I see red flags that should be obvious to us all. And how the incident helped the person, plus what it means to me, helps me to conclude that it's really true instead of an inspiring story. Of course it's still a good idea to bring my conclusion up in prayer for confirmation.

I hope this helps.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I don't really care if anyone else has seen Christ, apostle or not.

I only care if I have seen Christ.

That is all.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

David13 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 12:03 pm
Meili wrote: September 5th, 2017, 10:56 am

I do not have an open mind.
I think the concept of an open mind implies an empty mind, or one with some space in it.
Over the many years, I have filled my mind with a whole lot. College, a professional graduate school, and a long career in a profession, and I need to forget a whole lot, before I have any available space in my mind.
Therefore I am going to be very careful and select in what goes in there. There indeed is only so much space, total.

As to an open heart. I would like to think I have an open heart. But I'm not at all sure what that means. People constantly talk about "feelings" and "how do you feel about that" and all that.
I usually don't feel anything. Maybe I have a heart of stone.
But I really don't "feel" a lot. I think. i add, subtract, multiply, etc. Weigh and balance. Do research. Read, look for new opportunity. So I have to be concerned about thinking about what's important rather than what someone else has got going.
dc
Are you joking around? I've never considered the possibility that your mind could be full. For me using the mind is like exercising muscles. If you work at it, the limits you have one day can be expanded as the muscle/brain gets exercised. If you do nothing, I believe they both tend to atrophy.

The language of the heart, from what I can tell, is very much like the communication of a pre-verbal child. It will send signals telling you what it wants and needs, like the body language of a small child telling you what they want and need. There are people who are influenced by their hearts but don't realize it because they don't recognize the difference between when their head is talking and their heart is talking.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Why?
We were doing great until now. :-w

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

.....The "false traditions of fathers" / stumbling blocks / barriers can be found everywhere in Christianity. Our church definitely is not exempt. Repenting of unbelief and staying free and clear of false traditions and being obedient to the revelatory words / voice of Jesus Christ leads us to him / second comforter in this life whether in the church or outside of the church... No doubt the resources of the restoration are an amazing boon in moving forward that glorious direction!

Edit: I took podcast down to protect those who are not *prepared* to listen and benefit from content. Pm me if you want to be directed to it.
Last edited by diligently seeking on September 6th, 2017, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

ebenezerarise wrote: September 5th, 2017, 3:54 pm I don't really care if anyone else has seen Christ, apostle or not.

That is all.
This.

Bryan LJ
captain of 100

Post by Bryan LJ »

To the OP my belief in whether someone has seen Christ or not is the fruit which they bring forth: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

I don't believe that Jesus' motives for appearing to someone is to merely give them knowledge but Jesus has notices for the evolution of our souls. He wishes to refine us and make us better caring, more charitable people. If someone claims to have received Jesus in these experiences and they grow meaner and meaner, less patient, more bitter, less charitable, more concerned for themselves than others, prideful, less meek etc. Then I don't believe them and I want known of their Jesus.

However if someone grows in joy, love, charity, compassion, patience, etc and claim to know the Lord personally. I believe them. They have born fruit and they show evolution.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Bryan LJ wrote: September 5th, 2017, 7:47 pm To the OP my belief in whether someone has seen Christ or not is the fruit which they bring forth: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

I don't believe that Jesus' motives for appearing to someone is to merely give them knowledge but Jesus has notices for the evolution of our souls. He wishes to refine us and make us better caring, more charitable people. If someone claims to have received Jesus in these experiences and they grow meaner and meaner, less patient, more bitter, less charitable, more concerned for themselves than others, prideful, less meek etc. Then I don't believe them and I want known of their Jesus.

However if someone grows in joy, love, charity, compassion, patience, etc and claim to know the Lord personally. I believe them. They have born fruit and they show evolution.

+1

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Lectures on faith
Were this class to go back and reflect upon the history of their lives, from the period of their first recollection, and ask themselves, what principle excited them to action, or what gave them energy and activity, in all their lawful avocations, callings and pursuits, what would be the answer? Would it not be that it was the assurance which we had of the existence of things which we had not seen, as yet?—Was it not the hope which you had, in consequence of your belief in the existence of unseen things, which stimulated you to action and exertion, in order to obtain them? Are you not dependent on your faith, or belief, for the acquisition of all knowledge, wisdom and intelligence? Would you exert yourselves to obtain wisdom and intelligence, unless you did believe that you could obtain them? Would you have ever sown if you had not believed that you would reap? Would you have ever planted if you had not believed that you would gather? Would you have ever asked unless you had believed that you would receive? Would you have ever sought unless you had believed that you would have found? Or would you have ever knocked unless you had believed that it would have been opened unto you? In a word, is there any thing that you would have done, either physical or mental, if you had not previously believed? Are not all your exertions, of every kind, dependent on your faith? Or may we not ask, what have you, or what do you possess, which you have not obtained by reason of your faith? Your food, your raiment, your lodgings, are they not all by reason of your faith? Reflect, and ask yourselves, if these things are not so. Turn your thoughts on your own minds, and see if faith is not the moving cause of all action in yourselves; and if the moving cause in you, is it not in all other intelligent beings
It seems there may be more to the blessings of other accounts of those who have experiences with Christ and the importance of discerning those according to lectures on faith.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Seeing Christ would be such a sacred experience, I doubt one would want to share unless compelled by the spirit.
Like the Brother of Jared, there are some He cannot keep from revealing Himself to.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

eddie wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:05 pm Seeing Christ would be such a sacred experience, I doubt one would want to share unless compelled by the spirit.
Like the Brother of Jared, there are some He cannot keep from revealing Himself to.
I probably have known, and do know many who have seen Jesus. Only they never said so.
I know I have seen Jesus, his countenance or image on many people I have seen and been acquainted with.
dc

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Behold, the fruits of false traditions and unbelief.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

ebenezerarise wrote: September 5th, 2017, 3:54 pm I don't really care if anyone else has seen Christ, apostle or not.

That is all.
Not very Christian of you ;)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Bryan LJ wrote: September 5th, 2017, 7:47 pm To the OP my belief in whether someone has seen Christ or not is the fruit which they bring forth: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

This