People claiming to have seen Christ

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Re: People claiming to have seen Christ

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

JaredBees wrote: September 6th, 2017, 6:31 am
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 6:17 am I have missed the point of quoting me and all the scriptures together, I guess I'm a bit slow!?!?!?!?
It was info / answers to the gal who asked Elder. Bednar the question. :)
Oh. OK,
I thought that Elder Bednar answered that very well though.
I guess that this had an impact on me was because, even
though I studies his life, ..., it didn't feel "personal".
But since then my "awe" has grown in leaps and bounds.

Heber Q. Hale recorder a dream/vision he had. he saw the Savior
but didn't meet him - the Savior was too busy.
I think that is right.

I'm not criticizing you though.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 6:43 am
JaredBees wrote: September 6th, 2017, 6:31 am
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 6:17 am I have missed the point of quoting me and all the scriptures together, I guess I'm a bit slow!?!?!?!?
It was info / answers to the gal who asked Elder. Bednar the question. :)
Oh. OK,
I thought that Elder Bednar answered that very well though.
I guess that this had an impact on me was because, even
though I studies his life, ..., it didn't feel "personal".
But since then my "awe" has grown in leaps and bounds.

Heber Q. Hale recorder a dream/vision he had. he saw the Savior
but didn't meet him - the Savior was too busy.
I think that is right.

I'm not criticizing you though.

The constraints / pressure / limitations of BUSY are known only to our telestial sphere. I respectfully would call the idea that our Exalted Celestial- Savior Jesus Christ is too "busy" to take time for us in a meaningful undivided attention way a "false tradition of our fathers" / an unbelief that needs to be repented of... I would encourage you to read my longer post a few post's back and apply that knowledge to you.

,These words of President Joseph Fielding Smith should guide all of us in our gospel study: “It makes no difference what is written or what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the Lord has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teachings of any other member of the Church, high or low, if they do not square with the revelations, we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted the four standard works as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man’s doctrine."

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Lots of people claiming to have had a visit with Christ these days. Some ironically using their claimed experiences to lead people away from his church.

How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?

I believe we may see more and more of this technique as we prepare for him to return.
99% are false experiences--liars, deceivers, or deceived. Close to false Christs.

I'm not sure if this is what was meant, but Jesus NEVER casually visits and converses.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

JohnnyL wrote: September 6th, 2017, 8:39 am
drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Lots of people claiming to have had a visit with Christ these days. Some ironically using their claimed experiences to lead people away from his church.

How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?

I believe we may see more and more of this technique as we prepare for him to return.
99% are false experiences--liars, deceivers, or deceived. Close to false Christs.

I'm not sure if this is what was meant, but Jesus NEVER casually visits and converses.
The two disciples on the road to Emmaus would tell you differently....

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Why do you believe that Jesus never casually visits and converses? I guess I would like to know also what you mean by "casually"?

Thanks!

-Finrock

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

The blueprint for receiving the "greater portion of God's word / the mysteries of God's Kingdom / the desired blessings are laid out in Splendor and Clarity within the Book of Mormon... I wonder what percentage of church membership rests The standard works especially the Book of Mormon because we have quotes from contemporary leaders and general conference talks from the same leaders?. How many of us let others interpret the scriptures for us? Do we trust John 14:26 27? Or do we more or less solely rely upon what man tells us? We all value inspired leaders. I'm confident inspired leaders would tell us to be yoked to Jesus and not them. And yes of course we benefit through the words of Jesus through his inspired leaders. It is true though-- there is NO servants employed to the entrance of advancing eternal life. Jesus is the soul Keeper of the gate. How many of us will heed Nephi's Council advice in first Nephi chapter 10 by understanding how we can receive a greater portion of God's word? How many of us would long to have this type of relationship with our Lord because we did follow the council found in first Nephi chapter 10?

2 Nephi. 4
30 Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?
32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road!
33 O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy.
34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.

When we become Christ spiritual Offspring (born of God having received the baptism of Fire) he becomes our spiritual father we his spiritual sons and daughters. ( see mosiah chp 5) we move forward in faith necessary to navigate the false traditions of our fathers and stumbling block unbeliefs... Our confidence is derived through our building relationship with Jesus Christ and the gifts of the Spirit that Propel us forward. Something very similar to this song:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/lElSWBjyLWA[/youtube]

It is a little unconventional to our mormon ears but it is a beautiful song listen to the words from beginning to end.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

JaredBees wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:42 am

This visit was hardly casual. The conversation began with the crucifixion of Jesus. Then, the "stranger" opened the scriptures to these disciples on this very subject, and did it in such a manner as to cause their hearts to burn within them as they walked along down the road. By the time night was falling, they were so moved they constrained this stranger to stay with them for the night. Upon breaking bread with them, their eyes were opened and they knew the Lord, who then vanishes out of the midst.

Why did this happen? As a witness to the world that Jesus had indeed risen from the dead. Whose calling is it to witness this? The council of the 12. In my mind I am satisfied that these disciples are two of the 12 Apostles, who could now testify that Jesus had a body of flesh and bones and had walked with them on the road to Emmaus.

I wonder that you could think this visit was casual, conversational, and a "how's the weather" type of experience. It had a very very important purpose and was given following the order of heaven. The "Road to Emmaus" is not some story about guess what cool thing can happen to any two joe blows sauntering down the road. It witnesses to the world, not just to them, that Jesus has risen from the dead in fulfillment of prophesy. This is the most important message the world could have ever received, past, present, future, in this world or the next.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

passionflower wrote: September 6th, 2017, 11:31 am

This visit was hardly casual. The conversation began with the crucifixion of Jesus. Then, the "stranger" opened the scriptures to these disciples on this very subject, and did it in such a manner as to cause their hearts to burn within them as they walked along down the road. By the time night was falling, they were so moved they constrained this stranger to stay with them for the night. Upon breaking bread with them, their eyes were opened and they knew the Lord, who then vanishes out of the midst.

Why did this happen? As a witness to the world that Jesus had indeed risen from the dead. Whose calling is it to witness this? The council of the 12. In my mind I am satisfied that these disciples are two of the 12 Apostles, who could now testify that Jesus had a body of flesh and bones and had walked with them on the road to Emmaus.

I wonder that you could think this visit was casual, conversational, and a "how's the weather" type of experience. It had a very very important purpose and was given following the order of heaven. The "Road to Emmaus" is not some story about guess what cool thing can happen to any two joe blows sauntering down the road. It witnesses to the world, not just to them, that Jesus has risen from the dead in fulfillment of prophesy. This is the most important message the world could have ever received, past, present, future, in this world or the next.

I think in context with what Johnny L was saying a visit from Christ SHOULD BE-- Christ's conversation / visit with his disciples on the road to Emmaus would be considered casual to him? Dear wonderful passionflower-- you make a lot of assumptions in your post about how I think a casual setting / conversation with Christ should be. :)

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

JaredBees wrote: September 6th, 2017, 11:41 am
JohnnyL wrote: September 6th, 2017, 8:39 am 99% are false experiences--liars, deceivers, or deceived. Close to false Christs.

I think in context with what Johnny L was saying a visit from Christ SHOULD BE-- Christ's conversation / visit with his disciples on the road to Emmaus would be considered casual to him? Dear wonderful passionflower-- you make a lot of assumptions in your post about how I think a casual setting / conversation with Christ should be. :)
When I typed my post up there, I was actually feeling like "I can't believe JaredBees is really saying what I think he is saying". Thank you for clarifying. #:-s okey dokey, my mistake.

I think I could add something else to this thread right now by assuring you that all of us, ever last single one of us, has already seen Jesus, know Him very well, and no doubt had many a casual conversation with Him.

If you count before we were born, that is.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

passionflower wrote: September 6th, 2017, 12:17 pm
JaredBees wrote: September 6th, 2017, 11:41 am

When I typed my post up there, I was actually feeling like "I can't believe JaredBees is really saying what I think he is saying". Thank you for clarifying. #:-s okey dokey, my mistake.

I think I could add something else to this thread right now by assuring you that all of us, ever last single one of us, has already seen Jesus, know Him very well, and no doubt had many a casual conversation with Him.

If you count before we were born, that is.

Mama Passionflower--- we might not always agree--- however, you will always have my admiration, respect, and love!

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Another beautiful song to extend our vision and Gladden our hearts on the power and love that is our great servant King Jesus Christ.

https://youtu.be/xDZZ0-F5EKk

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Alright alright -----Last song. :)

I can't help it --music is in my soul-- look up Ebenezer Beesley in the hymn book and then get an idea of some of the why of my ferver..

This next song is no doubt the theme song of Alma the younger and king Benjamin's people (YOU) etc. The Gathers do an inspired and beautiful job singing what comes into our lives when that old natural man bows and flees to make way for our new life as Saints / redeemed through the blood of the lamb...!

"If you have felt to sing the song of redeeming love-- can you sing / feel so now?

Redeemed https://g.co/kgs/ikH458

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Wonderful response--better than I would have said it.

If Christ appears, it is to minister and comfort.

Even with Martha and Mary, it's evident it wasn't casual.

A few will see His face, but won't converse with him. Very few do, and it's not the people pretending about it.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

David13 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:29 pm
eddie wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:05 pm Seeing Christ would be such a sacred experience, I doubt one would want to share unless compelled by the spirit.
Like the Brother of Jared, there are some He cannot keep from revealing Himself to.
I probably have known, and do know many who have seen Jesus. Only they never said so.
I know I have seen Jesus, his countenance or image on many people I have seen and been acquainted with.
dc
I've been relying on Him so much, being single is not fun.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

JohnnyL wrote: September 6th, 2017, 7:59 pm

A few will see His face, but won't converse with him. Very few do, and it's not the people pretending about it.
Absolutely not casual with Martha and Mary, quite the opposite, they are his wives.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

eddie wrote: September 6th, 2017, 8:21 pm
David13 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:29 pm
eddie wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:05 pm Seeing Christ would be such a sacred experience, I doubt one would want to share unless compelled by the spirit.
Like the Brother of Jared, there are some He cannot keep from revealing Himself to.
I probably have known, and do know many who have seen Jesus. Only they never said so.
I know I have seen Jesus, his countenance or image on many people I have seen and been acquainted with.
dc
I've been relying on Him so much, being single is not fun.
It's what you make of it.
I've been at it for some time, and quite adjusted to it.
No arguments, no contention, I can come and go when and where I want, eat what I want, etc. I don't have to compromise or give up anything, nor participate in anything I don't want to.
You just haven't realized yet how beautiful and perfect it can be.
No bad habits to put up with, nor criticism for anything I do.
Just me and the cats.
And now that I've moved it's new friends, new ward, new stake, Temple in sight of my front door. Visitors.
It takes adjustment, but after you adjust, your standards for a next spouse will go way up.
dc

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

JohnnyL wrote: September 6th, 2017, 8:39 am 99% are false experiences--liars, deceivers, or deceived. Close to false Christs.

There is most certainly an order to things. If Jesus has business on this earth, he seems to usually send angelic messengers and does not come Himself. It is no small matter to say you have been in the presence of the Lord. When the Brother of Jared saw Jehovah, didn't he say it meant he had been redeemed from the fall?

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Let's be clear about something here:
The Holy Ghost is the First Comforter - promised to all who are worthy to and does partake of baptism.
The visitation of Jesus Christ is the Second Comforter - promised to all worthy to have their Calling and Election made sure.

I would say that anyone with whom the The Savior had visited would hardly be able to hide that in their countenance from those
who are sensitive to the spirit.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

To grow in your knowledge of Jesus--is to be made aware that he is in the details of your life. True love transcends what others might refer to as trifling insignificance for one who deserves our worship and adoration. The fact of the matter is is that in the truest and most beautiful sense / understanding of what the embodiment of LOVE is so JESUS is. He is our Great Servant King. It is his work and Glory to love us to serve us to bless us to fill us with his amazing hope and love. His approbation and love if the veil were removed and we had a one on one experience with him would be that of joy, purity, power, care, concern, thoughtfulness, laughter, and above all it would be an experience of glorious healing love! :)

I looked up the definition of the word casual an among other things it mentions that it is informal unceremonial relaxed comfortable etc when I think of our resurrected Savior on the shore as his disciples drew their fishing boat near to him and Christ beckoned them to come and be with him by the fire where cooked fish and a relaxed comfortable full of love and attention instruction atmosphere awaited them---- I think of and I'm grateful for our most loving Savior and his condensation to meet us at where we are at and to lift us and extend our vision and help us to believe and know that he is our greatest advocate... Here is a modern day witness of a intimate casual loving visitation. Maybe you will recognize the recipient to this blessing:

Hugh B. Brown reported an event that his nephew, Harold B. Lee, recorded in his journal and later shared:

‘He [Elder Brown] said it was not a vision, but the Lord appeared to him, very informal, the same as I was sitting talking to him. The Lord said, ‘You have had some difficult times in your life.’ Uncle Hugh responded, ‘Yes, and your life was more difficult than any of us have had.’ In the conversation Uncle Hugh asked when he would be finished here, and the Lord said, ‘I don’t know and I wouldn’t tell you if I did.’ Then He said, ‘Remain faithful to the end, and everything will be all right.’[3]

Lets grow in our knowledge of Jesus and know and experience similarly...

Whether our greatest of all advocates Jesus Christ appears to us in his glory or in a casual manner one thing is for certain we are and will be changed and filled with an increased desire to worship and adore and follow him all the more! All Praise to our Lord and our Savior for he is the way the truth and the light / life and is our only way back to our Father...

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

"...and the Lord said, ‘I don’t know..."

Notwithstanding HBB and HBL, that right there throws big doubt on what was reported to have happened at that time. However "casual"/ informal, the Lord never lies.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:13 pm Let's be clear about something here:
The Holy Ghost is the First Comforter - promised to all who are worthy to and does partake of baptism.
The visitation of Jesus Christ is the Second Comforter - promised to all worthy to have their Calling and Election made sure.

I would say that anyone with whom the The Savior had visited would hardly be able to hide that in their countenance from those
Those that know, don't tell.
Those that tell, don't know.
--Elder Bruce R. McConkie

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

JohnnyL wrote: September 7th, 2017, 6:40 am "...and the Lord said, ‘I don’t know..."

Notwithstanding HBB and HBL, that right there throws big doubt on what was reported to have happened at that time. However "casual"/ informal, the Lord never lies.
This scripture came to my mind reading your post:
Isaiah 55

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

JohnnyL wrote: September 7th, 2017, 6:42 am
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:13 pm Let's be clear about something here:

In my not necessarily humble opinion, JohnnyL's statement here should end this topic.
But we all know how everyone loves to argue their point, so I expect it will go on.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

JohnnyL wrote: September 7th, 2017, 6:42 am

Well there is the problem of Joseph Smith and Book of Mormon Accounts that would say other wise...