People claiming to have seen Christ

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: People claiming to have seen Christ

Post by diligently seeking »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 7th, 2017, 7:13 am
JaredBees wrote: September 7th, 2017, 7:09 am
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 7th, 2017, 6:58 am
JohnnyL wrote: September 7th, 2017, 6:42 am
Those that know, don't tell.
Those that tell, don't know.
--Elder Bruce R. McConkie
In my not necessarily humble opinion, JohnnyL's statement here should end this topic.
But we all know how everyone loves to argue their point, so I expect it will go on.

I advise all to go on to perfection, and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -- Joseph Smith, TPJS p.364

Hidingbehindmyhandle-- don't be afraid.
What is it you think I'm afraid of?
Ether 12

36 And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord that he would give unto the Gentiles grace, that they might have charity.
37 And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.
38 And now I, Moroni, bid farewell unto the Gentiles, yea, and also unto my brethren whom I love, until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ, where all men shall know that my garments are not spotted with your blood.
39 And then shall ye know that I have seen Jesus, and that he hath talked with me face to face, and that he told me in plain humility, even as a man telleth another in mine own language, concerning these things;
40 And only a few have I written, because of my weakness in writing.
41 And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus ( receiving the heavenly gift ) of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

JaredBees wrote: September 7th, 2017, 7:33 am
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 7th, 2017, 6:58 am

In my not necessarily humble opinion, JohnnyL's statement here should end this topic.
But we all know how everyone loves to argue their point, so I expect it will go on.

I advise all to go on to perfection, and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -- Joseph Smith, TPJS p.364

Ether 12

36 And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord that he would give unto the Gentiles grace, that they might have charity.
37 And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.
38 And now I, Moroni, bid farewell unto the Gentiles, yea, and also unto my brethren whom I love, until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ, where all men shall know that my garments are not spotted with your blood.
39 And then shall ye know that I have seen Jesus, and that he hath talked with me face to face, and that he told me in plain humility, even as a man telleth another in mine own language, concerning these things;
41 And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus ( receiving the heavenly gift ) of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.
I guess I'm a little slow, why don't you just tell me what you think I'm afraid of.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 7th, 2017, 7:35 am
JaredBees wrote: September 7th, 2017, 7:33 am

Ether 12

I guess I'm a little slow, why don't you just tell me what you think I'm afraid of.

In connection with what we have discussed today and yesterday-- ponder upon these things pray upon these things fast upon these things let the Lord instruct and edify.

Pure Intelligence
Joseph Smith

"A person may profit by noticing the first intimation of the spirit of revelation; for instance, when you feel pure intelligence flowing into you, it may give you sudden strokes of ideas, so that by noticing it, you may find it fulfilled the same day or soon; (i.e.) those things that were presented unto your minds by the Spirit of God, will come to pass; and thus by learning the Spirit of God and understanding it, you may grow into the principle of revelation, until you become perfect in Christ Jesus."

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Pure intelligence etc in motion:

Alma 5

45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.

Alma 17

Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
3 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.
4 And they had been teaching the word of God for the space of fourteen years among the Lamanites, having had much success in bringing many to the knowledge of the truth; yea, by the power of their words many were brought before the altar of God, to call on his name and confess their sins before him.
5 Now these are the circumstances which attended them in their journeyings, for they had many afflictions; they did suffer much, both in body and in mind, such as hunger, thirst and fatigue, and also much labor in the spirit.
6 Now these were their journeyings: Having taken leave of their father, Mosiah, in the first year of the judges; having refused the kingdom which their father was desirous to confer upon them, and also this was the minds of the people;
7 Nevertheless they departed out of the land of Zarahemla, and took their swords, and their spears, and their bows, and their arrows, and their slings; and this they did that they might provide food for themselves while in the wilderness.
8 And thus they departed into the wilderness with their numbers which they had selected, to go up to the land of Nephi, to preach the word of God unto the Lamanites.
9 And it came to pass that they journeyed many days in the wilderness, and they fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide with them, that they might be an instrument in the hands of God to bring, if it were possible, their brethren, the Lamanites, to the knowledge of the truth, to the knowledge of the baseness of the traditions of their fathers, which were not correct.
10 And it came to pass that the Lord did visit them with his Spirit, and said unto them: Be comforted. And they were comforted.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

JaredBees I still don't know what I'm afraid of, why can't you just tell me.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 7th, 2017, 8:25 am JaredBees I still don't know what I'm afraid of, why can't you just tell me.
Neither did Alma and the sons of mosiah know right away.

Follow the Lord (and his patterns of revealing) he knows the way.

Take comfort guidance and direction from this amazing man's example:
2nephi 4

Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?
32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me,** because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! ** O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road!
33 O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy.
34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.
Last edited by diligently seeking on September 7th, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

John 14
Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

I give up, I think you are just blowing smoke up some orifice.
No one gets anywhere when all you do is play some game all by your selve.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 7th, 2017, 8:25 am JaredBees I still don't know what I'm afraid of, why can't you just tell me.
Probably the same thing he's afraid of- clowns :o)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 12:24 pm
Red wrote: September 5th, 2017, 11:58 am Why?
Because then we start talking about weird stuff and then Denver Snuffer. See? I just said his name.
=)) :))

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

shadow wrote: September 7th, 2017, 9:34 am
Probably the same thing he's afraid of- clowns :o)
My posts on LDSFF clearly show I'm not afraid of clowns.
I go toe to toe with them all the time here.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

You need to have the gift of discerning of SPIRITS to know if it's truly good or not (not the same as the gift of discernment). Sometimes Satan can appear in power and deceive people making them think it's God. It's possible. I've heard of people seeing Christ, but none personally.
If you get all of the other things you're supposed to get before seeing Christ like the baptism of fire etc, you're close to seeing Christ personally. This is the second comforter. And anyone who wants to get it can ask for it.
It's not just for apostles and prophets.

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

Z2100 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 10:57 am
drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Lots of people claiming to have had a visit with Christ these days. Some ironically using their claimed experiences to lead people away from his church.

How do you discern weather these experiences are real? Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences? What are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?

I believe we may see more and more of this technique as we prepare for him to return.
His is a stupid thread. Only Prophets and Apostles can see Christ face to face.
Then maybe maybe they are prophets and apostles because the claim a witness of Him.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

You know people forget that the false christs will abound can mean people claiming to be his leader, not just claiming to be him. I feel that this meaning happens probably more than the ones trying to claim to be him by probably 10 to 1. If someone has had spiritual experiences they probably won't tell you in most cases. But on the flip side it IS in the D&C that not just apostles and prophets will see Christ.

JustDan
captain of 100

Post by JustDan »

JohnnyL wrote: September 6th, 2017, 8:39 am
99% are false experiences--liars, deceivers, or deceived. Close to false Christs.

I'm not sure if this is what was meant, but Jesus NEVER casually visits and converses.
I would think this.

Why would Christ visit these people? Unless some special purpose, I just can't see why Jesus would be spending his time visiting random souls on earth. What would warrant it?

It is most likely that these people have seen an Angel, or the appearance of Christ - but not Christ himself.

There was a time some years back when this forum was rampant with stories/claims of people seeing Christ. It became a claim of righteousness, and a rod to beat the Apostles with (claiming that the Apostles had not seen him, but that other individuals have). Even one of the mods at the time (who was in open rebellion against the church) was insistent that she/he had personal visitations with Christ.

Not so. I'm calling it now.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

JustDan wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:33 pmNot so. I'm calling it now.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46383

JustDan
captain of 100

Post by JustDan »

marc wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:44 pm
Good one.

That's exactly what I was talking about.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

JustDan wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:50 pm
marc wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:44 pm
Good one.

That's exactly what I was talking about.
May I suggest carefully reading Ether 4, specifically, the verses cited? Allow me to emphasize one verse:
8 And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ; for I am he who speaketh.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

For me, I would be careful to judge those who have seen Christ. Let me say that I am not perfect at that. I've had my share of casting stones at those who proclaim they have. The two I am speaking of are Denver Snuffer and Jake Hilton. Although, I still think they've been deceived, I should still be mindful and sensitive to these situations. Although, I disagree to what they do - that is - leading others astray.

I've had dreams of Him ... I've also had dreams of someone pretending to be him. I believe God gave me these dreams so I can tell the difference. Although difficult, it can be possible through discernment.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

LdsMarco wrote: November 15th, 2017, 4:16 pm For me, I would be careful to judge those who have seen Christ. Let me say that I am not perfect at that. I've had my share of casting stones at those who proclaim they have. The two I am speaking of are Denver Snuffer and Jake Hilton. Although, I still think they've been deceived, I should still be mindful and sensitive to these situations. Although, I disagree to what they do - that is - leading others astray.

I've had dreams of Him ... I've also had dreams of someone pretending to be him. I believe God gave me these dreams so I can tell the difference. Although difficult, it can be possible through discernment.
My thoughts exactly. People these days are far too quick to judgement wanting to "crucify" others without weighing the evidence or giving them a trial.

If you believe someone is a liar and a deceiver than prove it. You are innocent until proven guilty; or at least should be. Weigh the evidence before throwing them in prison!

EDIT: As an aside, I have done my research on those two individuals and came to the same conclusion (pretty easily). However, despite disagreeing on many many things, I learned from them.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

On The Fringe wrote: November 15th, 2017, 11:59 pm
LdsMarco wrote: November 15th, 2017, 4:16 pm For me, I would be careful to judge those who have seen Christ. Let me say that I am not perfect at that. I've had my share of casting stones at those who proclaim they have. The two I am speaking of are Denver Snuffer and Jake Hilton. Although, I still think they've been deceived, I should still be mindful and sensitive to these situations. Although, I disagree to what they do - that is - leading others astray.

My thoughts exactly. People these days are far too quick to judgement wanting to "crucify" others without weighing the evidence or giving them a trial.

If you believe someone is a liar and a deceiver than prove it. You are innocent until proven guilty; or at least should be. Weigh the evidence before throwing them in prison!

EDIT: As an aside, I have done my research on those two individuals and came to the same conclusion (pretty easily). However, despite disagreeing on many many things, I learned from them.

How do you disprove it? I know Julie Rowe is a deceiver and liar because of what the scriptures tell me, but how do I prove she is lying? She knows I cant, is why she has morons that follow her.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Gage wrote: November 16th, 2017, 9:33 am
On The Fringe wrote: November 15th, 2017, 11:59 pm
LdsMarco wrote: November 15th, 2017, 4:16 pm How do you disprove it? I know Julie Rowe is a deceiver and liar because of what the scriptures tell me, but how do I prove she is lying? She knows I cant, is why she has morons that follow her.
I guess the real question is why prove it? Everyone has their agency to choose between light and darkness. The only way we can help someone to choose the right is by example. Not by force/proving it.

It is the same when we share the Book of Mormon. It's an invitation. Not by force :)

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

If someone tells me that they've seen Christ, I have a right to believe or disbelieve them--it's not a matter of being mean or 'crucifying' them. I can choose to trust their claim or question it. To be honest, I seriously question most of the claims made on this forum because the claimers' words and actions don't jibe with a true disciple of Christ--one of strong faith, which is required to have this experience.

Did anyone notice what Elder Anderson read in the last General conference on this topic? He gave his talk, but then also mentioned that Elder Hales wrote a brief talk that he planned to give, IF he was feeling well enough to attend. Of course, he wasn't well enough--he died while GC was still in session. Elder Anderson shared some of what he was going to tell us; here are Elder Hales last words of counsel to the members:
“When we choose to have faith, we are prepared to stand in the presence of God. … After the Savior’s Crucifixion, He appeared only to those ‘who had been faithful in the testimony of [Him] while they lived in mortality.’ [D&C 138:12.] Those ‘who rejected the testimonies … of the … prophets [could not] behold [the Savior’s] presence, nor look upon his face.’ [D&C 138:21.] … Our faith prepares us to be in the presence of the Lord.”
That's the standard for me. It's all about Faith and Faith can be seen in the way a person lives their life and how they speak and think. We see many who claim they've seen the Savior, but if they don't display in their lives, countenances and actions the kind of FAITH that is evident in a sincere, faithful testimony of Jesus Christ, then I don't believe them. I'm not being mean, I'm simply making a determination.

And--Those who have this kind of faith, faith like the Brother of Jared-- It will be evident to those around them.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

AI2.0 wrote: November 17th, 2017, 5:03 pm If someone tells me that they've seen Christ, I have a right to believe or disbelieve them--it's not a matter of being mean or 'crucifying' them. I can choose to trust their claim or question it. To be honest, I seriously question most of the claims made on this forum because the claimers' words and actions don't jibe with a true disciple of Christ--one of strong faith, which is required to have this experience.

Did anyone notice what Elder Anderson read in the last General conference on this topic? He gave his talk, but then also mentioned that Elder Hales wrote a brief talk that he planned to give, IF he was feeling well enough to attend. Of course, he wasn't well enough--he died while GC was still in session. Elder Anderson shared some of what he was going to tell us; here are Elder Hales last words of counsel to the members:
“When we choose to have faith, we are prepared to stand in the presence of God. … After the Savior’s Crucifixion, He appeared only to those ‘who had been faithful in the testimony of [Him] while they lived in mortality.’ [D&C 138:12.] Those ‘who rejected the testimonies … of the … prophets [could not] behold [the Savior’s] presence, nor look upon his face.’ [D&C 138:21.] … Our faith prepares us to be in the presence of the Lord.”
That's the standard for me. It's all about Faith and Faith can be seen in the way a person lives their life and how they speak and think. We see many who claim they've seen the Savior, but if they don't display in their lives, countenances and actions the kind of FAITH that is evident in a sincere, faithful testimony of Jesus Christ, then I don't believe them. I'm not being mean, I'm simply making a determination.

And--Those who have this kind of faith, faith like the Brother of Jared-- It will be evident to those around them.
I agree. Alma was a viliest of sinners. When he was born again, he labored without ceasing for Christ.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am How do you discern whether these experiences are real?
Good question! Honestly, how can we discern whether anything is really real? For all I know I could be a brain in a jar.
drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Would it be important to develop the ability to judge these experiences?
If punishment and/or reward hang in the balance, preferably yes.
drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 amWhat are your thoughts on casual visits and conversation claims?
I believe that some people claiming visits really believe what they perceive. I usually hear them out for curiosity's sake. Reason tells me there are plenty of people out there just saying stuff to take advantage of others too. I can't tell them apart.
drtanner wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:18 am Have any of you known someone who claimed this but later admitted it did not happen?
Me, I guess? I understood it metaphorically, so it only metaphorically happened. I suppose I still believe that it metaphorically happened...Maybe that doesn't count?

I can explain- I reasoned that I had received my baptism by fire. To me (at the time), that meant that the Holy Ghost ratified (or approved of) my baptism so the ordinance was finally complete. Some scriptures I read led me to believe that, after baptism, you take Christs name upon yourself. That meant that I was "Jesus Christ" (I took his name) and I saw "him" "In the flesh" every day when I looked into the mirror. I honestly thought we were all supposed to see it symbolically like that...or similar....As with most scripture, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when I look at it literally.