Rejecting the Apostolic Witness of Christ

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Rejecting the Apostolic Witness of Christ

Post by drtanner »

From Elder Packer:
President Harold B. Lee told me once of a conversation he had with Elder Charles A. Callis of the Quorum of the Twelve. Brother Callis had remarked that the gift of discernment was an awesome burden to carry. To see clearly what is ahead and yet find members slow to respond or resistant to counsel or even rejecting the witness of the apostles and prophets brings deep sorrow.
Some few within the Church openly, or perhaps far worse, in the darkness of anonymity, reproach their leaders in the wards and stakes and in the Church, seeking to make them “an offender for a word,” as Isaiah said. To them the Lord said:

“Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned … but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.

“But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves. …

“… because they have offended my little ones they shall be severed from the ordinances of mine house.

“Their basket shall not be full, their houses and their barns shall perish, and they themselves shall be despised by those that flattered them.

“They shall not have right to the priesthood, nor their posterity after them from generation to generation.”

Recently President Hinckley reminded the Brethren that, while we are men called from the ordinary pursuits of life, there rests upon us a sacred ministry. And we take comfort in what the Lord said to the original Twelve: “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you.”
The most precious thing we have to give is our witness of the Lord, our testimony of Jesus Christ.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Re: Rejecting the Apostolic Witness of Christ

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Sadly there are many that find whatever reason they can to reject the prophets. They will use many excuses pointing out flaws, weaknesses, errors all the while saying there is not need for a prophet and those who follow their counsel are sheep, hero worshipers, unable to to receive revelation. By all means why have a prophet when Christ is the answer.

Though, like everyone we make mistakes and there are some who don't know how to receive revelation like they should I think those persecuting those who sustain a prophet incorrectly judge in many cases. Sometimes I often wonder if those who reject the prophets are just looking for a reason to reject them no matter what it is.

One day we will be judged by our Savior but it won't be just him - there will be prophets who will stand in judgment among others including ourselves as the book of life will be opened. We will be judged on if we headed the words of the prophets that is a fact. - I don't think this is hero worship I just think it's us understanding that the prophets speak for the Lord and we are to heed their word.

Disclaimer* I think it was Elder Hollands talk where he spoke about the words of the prophets and that just because they talk about immorality they doesn't mean everyone is immoral. Just because they say you shouldn't work on Sunday doesn't mean nobody should work on Sunday as their are exceptions to many things and that is where we are agents unto ourselves to follow the spirit and promptings (the problem is many don't know what voice they are listening to and that goes for those in and out of the church.)

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: Rejecting the Apostolic Witness of Christ

Post by diligently seeking »

drtanner wrote: September 1st, 2017, 11:33 am From Elder Packer:
President Harold B. Lee told me once of a conversation he had with Elder Charles A. Callis of the Quorum of the Twelve. Brother Callis had remarked that the gift of discernment was an awesome burden to carry. To see clearly what is ahead and yet find members slow to respond or resistant to counsel or even rejecting the witness of the apostles and prophets brings deep sorrow.
Some few within the Church openly, or perhaps far worse, in the darkness of anonymity, reproach their leaders in the wards and stakes and in the Church, seeking to make them “an offender for a word,” as Isaiah said. To them the Lord said:

“Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned … but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.

“But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves. …

“… because they have offended my little ones they shall be severed from the ordinances of mine house.

“Their basket shall not be full, their houses and their barns shall perish, and they themselves shall be despised by those that flattered them.

“They shall not have right to the priesthood, nor their posterity after them from generation to generation.”

Recently President Hinckley reminded the Brethren that, while we are men called from the ordinary pursuits of life, there rests upon us a sacred ministry. And we take comfort in what the Lord said to the original Twelve: “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you.”
The most precious thing we have to give is our witness of the Lord, our testimony of Jesus Christ.
Podcast #45
http://mstroud.podomatic.com/

Mike Stroud--- he and his wife the last few years returned from serving their third mission. he is a retired Institute teacher of 30 years. He is a faithfully active member. Listen to this podcast and see what questions arise in your mind and heart regarding why this doctrine... has not been taught... with the emphasis it deserves... Listen from start to finish.