"I can testify with the same conviction and sureness as the brother of Jared"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

"I can testify with the same conviction and sureness as the brother of Jared"

Post by drtanner »

How can one doubt that President Faust knew? This testimony is not about President Faust, it is about Christ and the reality that he leads his church. This knowledge does not make us better than anyone else, at the very most it allows us to be the very least as we serve and love our brothers and sisters of all faiths and walks of life.

BEGINNINGS
President James E. Faust
CES Fireside for Young Adults • May 7, 2006 • University of Utah Institute of Religion

"It is now my privilege and blessing to leave you my witness and blessing. I do so as one of the special witnesses, declaring to you with all of the conviction of my being and every cell of my body, from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, that Jesus is the Christ and the Redeemer of the world and our Savior, the head of this Church. I know that He is close to the leadership of this Church. I know that His Spirit is available to all of us individually and in our callings. He lives. There is no question about that. I can testify with the same conviction and sureness as the brother of Jared. As he saw the finger of God, it is written, he believed no more, for he knew (see Ether 3:6, 19)."

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... s?lang=eng

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Re: "I can testify with the same conviction and sureness as the brother of Jared"

Post by Jesef »

That is a strong witness, but we are unable to examine or even ask him how he arrived at what he claims is certainty and "sureness as the brother of Jared". How and in what manner, what manifestation? Did he actually have the same experience as the Brother of Jared, i.e. saw the finger of the Lord (or any or all of His body)? The typical response, and I've heard it firsthand from an LDS Apostle, when such an inquiry is made ("how do you know surely?") is "it's too sacred to share" - the Apostle I interacted with actually put it this way "Elder, I'll forgive you for asking the question if you forgive me for not answering it." And, so, my observation, so far, is that the Brethren will not allow their witnesses to be examined. We must simply accept the veiled reference that they "know as surely as ...", leaving us the implication that they had the same experience as ... If you feel the Spirit while they are stating such a witness, you will probably think it means "yep, they KNOW and they had a similar experience as the one they are comparing to in their simile."

Btw, I recognize many such witnesses from the Brethren over the years, often referencing sure knowledge and used in a simile type fashion in connection with a scriptural firsthand knowledge experience or even Joseph Smith's First Vision. Such as these recent ones:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng
"Come unto Me”, April 2013 GC, By President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency
I am a witness of the Resurrection of the Lord as surely as if I had been there in the evening with the two disciples in the house on Emmaus road. I know that He lives as surely as did Joseph Smith when he saw the Father and the Son in the light of a brilliant morning in a grove of trees in Palmyra.
Interestingly, this next witness/testimony was delivered in the General Conference that Denver claims the LDS Apostles and leaders lost their right to claim that they lead by priesthood authority by virtue of upholding his excommunication for apostasy:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
"The Witness", April 2014, By President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
After all the years that I have lived and taught and served, after the millions of miles I have traveled around the world, with all that I have experienced, there is one great truth that I would share. That is my witness of the Savior Jesus Christ.

Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon recorded the following after a sacred experience:

“And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

For we saw him” (D&C 76:22–23).

Their words are my words.

I believe and I am sure that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that He lives. He is the Only Begotten of the Father, and “by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God” (D&C 76:24).

I bear my witness that the Savior lives. I know the Lord. I am His witness. I know of His great sacrifice and eternal love for all of Heavenly Father’s children. I bear my special witness in all humility but with absolute certainty, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
The words and the vocabulary have great significance if you value scriptural language, this one particularly:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng
“Lord, I Believe”, April 2013, By Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Now, with the advantage that nearly 60 years give me since I was a newly believing 14-year-old, I declare some things I now know. I know that God is at all times and in all ways and in all circumstances our loving, forgiving Father in Heaven. I know Jesus was His only perfect child, whose life was given lovingly by the will of both the Father and the Son for the redemption of all the rest of us who are not perfect. I know He rose from that death to live again, and because He did, you and I will also. I know that Joseph Smith, who acknowledged that he wasn’t perfect,15 was nevertheless the chosen instrument in God’s hand to restore the everlasting gospel to the earth. I also know that in doing so—particularly through translating the Book of Mormon—he has taught me more of God’s love, of Christ’s divinity, and of priesthood power than any other prophet of whom I have ever read, known, or heard in a lifetime of seeking. I know that President Thomas S. Monson, who moves devotedly and buoyantly toward the 50th anniversary of his ordination as an Apostle, is the rightful successor to that prophetic mantle today. We have seen that mantle upon him again in this conference. I know that 14 other men whom you sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators sustain him with their hands, their hearts, and their own apostolic keys.

These things I declare to you with the conviction Peter called the “more sure word of prophecy.”16 What was once a tiny seed of belief for me has grown into the tree of life, so if your faith is a little tested in this or any season, I invite you to lean on mine. I know this work is God’s very truth, and I know that only at our peril would we allow doubt or devils to sway us from its path. Hope on. Journey on. Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
That's pretty powerful, significant language if you go read Peter's and Joseph Smith's words connected to "the more sure word of prophecy."

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Re: "I can testify with the same conviction and sureness as the brother of Jared"

Post by Jesef »

I agree with a lot of that, LDSAnarchist. It is observable and cultural.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Jesef wrote: August 31st, 2017, 10:49 amBtw, I recognize many such witnesses from the Brethren over the years, often referencing sure knowledge and used in a simile type fashion in connection with a scriptural firsthand knowledge experience or even Joseph Smith's First Vision
I wonder if this is just part of the way of administration for our generation. Multiple times in D&C it states that we are to preach nothing but repentance in this generation. I wonder if this is part of their adherence to that. We don't hear much about the greater blessings these days, but I'm not sure it's necessary because becoming experts in the first principles of the Gospel naturally lead one to them. I don't know of many accounts where they expound on these experiences (except maybe in private settings); but you're right, it always seems to be joined to the testimony of our Dispensation Head, or another prophet. Brlenox has pointed this out, as well.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

Elder Oaks, "Boise Rescue", June 13th, 2015:

". . . modern apostles are called to be witnesses of the name of Christ in all the world, Doctrine and Covenants 107:23. This is not to witness of a personal manifestation. To witness of the name is to witness of the plan, the work, or mission such as the atonement and the authority or priesthood of the Lord Jesus Christ, which an apostle who holds the keys is uniquely responsible to do.
"Of course apostles are also witnesses of Christ just like all members of the Church who have the gift of the Holy Ghost. This is because the mission of the Holy Ghost is to witness of the Father and the Son. In addition, while some early apostles and other members of the church have had the sublime spiritual experience of seeing the Savior and some have made a public record of this, in the circumstances of today we are counseled not to speak of our most sacred spiritual experiences, otherwise with modern technology that can broadcast something all over the world, a remark made in a sacred and a private setting can be said abroad in violation of the Savior’s commandment not to cast our pearls before swine."

They don't share their experiences because we are swine. Repent!

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Well, technically, he said they don't share their experiences because of modern technology's ability (now better than ever before) to broadcast anything, even privately said, to the whole world - so the world is full of swine - those who would desecrate and deride and scorn. That makes some sense actually. Although I'm not sure that's really what the Savior meant by pearls. Witnessing that you've seen the Lord or touched His resurrected body - yeah, that would bring persecution and all kinds of criticism - but wouldn't that actually put it on the line? The hearer has to make some kind of choice at that point. I don't think giving your actual witness, how you came to know what you claim to know, is too sacred to share. That's the essence of bearing a witness. We wouldn't accept a testimony in court where someone said, "I know that guy is responsible for the murder, but I can't share the details with you of how I know that. (Like they had seen it or had the knife with blood on it, etc.)." We would consider that incredulous.