Have we neglected the Word of Wisdom?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I'm sure you know the don'ts of the Word of Wisdom. There has been plenty of debate of the don'ts and getting a Temple Recommend.

But what about the Do's? Equally or more important than the Don'ts, are we following the do's?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... 9?lang=eng

There is a very good topic you should check out in more detail, Discovering the Word of Wisdom:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46052

Do you know the Do's?

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life,

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Have we neglected the Word of Wisdom?

Post by Robin Hood »

Absolutely we have!

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

I can understand the part about meat and cold weather.... as there was no refrigeration back then. and because of Trichinosis in pigs and other wild game in the hot months.

Still applicable? Eat less meat in summer and fall, and only eat meat in Winter?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

JK4Woods wrote: July 27th, 2017, 1:21 pm I can understand the part about meat and cold weather.... as there was no refrigeration back then. and because of Trichinosis in pigs and other wild game in the hot months.

Still applicable? Eat less meat in summer and fall, and only eat meat in Winter?
Or not eat meat at all!? We don't need to, the Lord confirms it.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

The last time I saw him, my Stake President told me to eat less meat. He didn't say how much less, and I didn't think to ask him, but I am more cognizant of what I put in my mouth now. I also remember to thank Heavenly Father for the animal which gave its life that I could be nourished and strengthened.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Do you know anyone that is sick? Suffering health problems? Maybe even yourself?

Guess what, the scripture is already fulfilled:
D&C45
31 And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not pass until they shall see an overflowing scourge; for a desolating sickness shall cover the land.
We are already there! Hundreds of thousands die each year of sickness!

We have been good examples for not drinking and smoking, but not eating healthy.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

How Not To Die

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Arenera wrote: July 27th, 2017, 1:36 pm Do you know anyone that is sick? Suffering health problems? Maybe even yourself?

D&C45
31 And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not pass until they shall see an overflowing scourge; for a desolating sickness shall cover the land.

We have been good examples for not drinking and smoking, but not eating healthy.

When you hear of Mormons dropping like flies in Utah that's when you can be assured its the plague sent from God mentioned in the scriptures.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Arenera wrote: July 27th, 2017, 1:05 pm I'm sure you know the don'ts of the Word of Wisdom. There has been plenty of debate of the don'ts and getting a Temple Recommend.

But what about the Do's? Equally or more important than the Don'ts, are we following the do's?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... 9?lang=eng

There is a very good topic you should check out in more detail, Discovering the Word of Wisdom:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46052

Do you know the Do's?

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life,

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
Just have a look at an average LDS vs a host of people that take care of themselves (very often for wrong reasons mind ;) , people that diet, go to gym etc. Then the answer will be obvious-a resounding YES we have :-s

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Arenera,
Do you know anyone that is sick? Suffering health problems? Maybe even yourself?

D&C45

This is all too common of problem here on this board. The Word of Wisdom is the 89th section of the D&C not the 45th. There is nothing in the context of the 45th section to connect it with the the advice given in the 89th. The 45th was actually given at a time when people were publishing many "false and foolish stories" and the part you are to describes judgmental events that will come to sinful people sometime in the future.

Just because a scripture sounds good, and looks like it supports an argument you want to make, doesn't mean that that is what that scripture means. This is how we foolishly follow heresies.

I see too much of it here on this board!

Regards,

George Clay

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Neglected? Yes.
Misinterpreted? Yes.
Looked beyond the mark? Yes.
Judged others by personal standards? Yes.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I can only give my own experience and interpretation. I suffer from a number of health issues, mostly related to autoimmunity. When I had truly humbled myself and asked God for help, the Spirit told me I need to follow the word of wisdom - like ACTUALLY follow it.
I haven't done that. Stupid pride. I tried paleo because the world has said that's what's best for autoimmune disease - ditch the grains. In some ways I became healthier because I cut out processed food, but all the meat was making me sick too! But it's been hard to quit meat. Not as bad as sugar, but hard.
A while back a post challenged me to read the Book of Mormon in a month. It has taken longer, but as I've immersed myself in that book I've had stronger and greater promptings that there is power in the word of wisdom. I have more power to resist junk and cravings as I read it. I have had little bits of wisdom in the proper way to eat and prepare foods, like wheat, so they don't make me ill. And which foods my particular body should avoid (nightshades and milk). I have gained a greater understanding of some of the nuances contained in it that I hadn't realized before. That didn't come from studying the word of wisdom, though that is also necessary. It came from inviting the Spirit into my life.

So summing up-yeah, we definitely neglect the word of wisdom, but it's also not one size fits all and the Lord expects us to use study, judgement, and the Spirit. But it's more important to be led by the Spirit than to squabble over how many steps we're allowed to take on the Sabbath, figuratively speaking.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

gclayjr wrote: July 28th, 2017, 7:34 am Arenera,

D&C45

This is all too common of problem here on this board. The Word of Wisdom is the 89th section of the D&C not the 45th. There is nothing in the context of the 45th section to connect it with the the advice given in the 89th. The 45th was actually given at a time when people were publishing many "false and foolish stories" and the part you are to describes judgmental events that will come to sinful people sometime in the future.

Just because a scripture sounds good, and looks like it supports an argument you want to make, doesn't mean that that is what that scripture means. This is how we foolishly follow heresies.

I see too much of it here on this board!

Regards,

George Clay
Let's see, if 610,000 people were killed by terrorists this year, would we respond to it?

When did scriptures not link with each other? :)
Heart Disease in the United States

About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. More than half of the deaths due to heart disease in 2009 were in men.

Coronary heart disease (CHD) is the most common type of heart disease, killing over 370,000 people annually.

Every year about 735,000 Americans have a heart attack. Of these, 525,000 are a first heart attack and 210,000 happen in people who have already had a heart attack.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Yahtzee wrote: July 28th, 2017, 9:31 am I can only give my own experience and interpretation. I suffer from a number of health issues, mostly related to autoimmunity. When I had truly humbled myself and asked God for help, the Spirit told me I need to follow the word of wisdom - like ACTUALLY follow it.
I haven't done that. Stupid pride. I tried paleo because the world has said that's what's best for autoimmune disease - ditch the grains. In some ways I became healthier because I cut out processed food, but all the meat was making me sick too! But it's been hard to quit meat. Not as bad as sugar, but hard.
A while back a post challenged me to read the Book of Mormon in a month. It has taken longer, but as I've immersed myself in that book I've had stronger and greater promptings that there is power in the word of wisdom. I have more power to resist junk and cravings as I read it. I have had little bits of wisdom in the proper way to eat and prepare foods, like wheat, so they don't make me ill. And which foods my particular body should avoid (nightshades and milk). I have gained a greater understanding of some of the nuances contained in it that I hadn't realized before. That didn't come from studying the word of wisdom, though that is also necessary. It came from inviting the Spirit into my life.

So summing up-yeah, we definitely neglect the word of wisdom, but it's also not one size fits all and the Lord expects us to use study, judgement, and the Spirit. But it's more important to be led by the Spirit than to squabble over how many steps we're allowed to take on the Sabbath, figuratively speaking.
I have autoimmunity problems up to wazoo. :( I have tried MANY things. The SCD which is very similar to paleo, is supposed to be tops for solving gut issues. I nearly starved on it cutting out grains! I lost weight which I didn't have to loose in the first place. Many diets tell you to cut out grains for autoimmunity. I feel SO conflicted. There was a post started yesterday about Word of Wisdom diet. It intrigues me but I can't get over the fact that they even cut out healthy oils like olive and coconut oil, (avocados) nuts, and even eggs. (I can understand the dairy of which I don't eat anymore) Even in Christ's time olives were very important. (Where in the Word of Wisdom does it talk about cutting healthy fats? :p ) I would cut out meats in a heartbeat if it would solve all of my gut problems. But where would I get my proteins? I have to be really careful with beans. They MUST be soaked and even then my gut puts up a fuss.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Matchmaker wrote: July 27th, 2017, 1:27 pm The last time I saw him, my Stake President told me to eat less meat. He didn't say how much less, and I didn't think to ask him, but I am more cognizant of what I put in my mouth now. I also remember to thank Heavenly Father for the animal which gave its life that I could be nourished and strengthened.
The thing is, the animal didn't give it's life; it's life was taken.

I recommend a film called "Food, Inc." Very shocking.
Also "Cowspiracy" is worth watching too.

I don't called myself a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat as a rule. Dairy is something else that I generally avoid most of the time.

However, the WoW wisdom does appear to differentiate between farmed animals and wild animals. In effect, it instructs us not to take wild animals except in times of famine. That, to me at least, means that deer hunting is out.
This might upset a lot of people, but it appears God feels quite strongly about it.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

Don't forget the best do:
17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

kittycat51 wrote: July 28th, 2017, 9:52 am
Yahtzee wrote: July 28th, 2017, 9:31 am I can only give my own experience and interpretation. I suffer from a number of health issues, mostly related to autoimmunity. When I had truly humbled myself and asked God for help, the Spirit told me I need to follow the word of wisdom - like ACTUALLY follow it.

I have autoimmunity problems up to wazoo. :( I have tried MANY things. The SCD which is very similar to paleo, is supposed to be tops for solving gut issues. I nearly starved on it cutting out grains! I lost weight which I didn't have to loose in the first place. Many diets tell you to cut out grains for autoimmunity. I feel SO conflicted. There was a post started yesterday about Word of Wisdom diet. It intrigues me but I can't get over the fact that they even cut out healthy oils like olive and coconut oil, (avocados) nuts, and even eggs. (I can understand the dairy of which I don't eat anymore) Even in Christ's time olives were very important. (Where in the Word of Wisdom does it talk about cutting healthy fats? :p ) I would cut out meats in a heartbeat if it would solve all of my gut problems. But where would I get my proteins? I have to be really careful with beans. They MUST be soaked and even then my gut puts up a fuss.
610,000 dying each year from heart disease. We lost 500,00 in WWII. This isn't a terrible sickness/scourge?

This is a good website, I read the book. $5 on kindle. http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/

Another good book: The Starch Solution

Most health issues we have are addressed with a Whole Food Plant Based diet, like the Word of Wisom recommends!

Question: Where do I get my protein?
Question: Where do I get my calcium?

A Whole Food Plant Based diet contains the right amount of protein, the right amounts of nutrients like calcium, and the right amount of fats. You don't have to eat meat, drink milk, or add oils to your diet. The superior diet is WFPB.

" All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life - All grain is good for the food of man"

Some people have issues with wheat, try the other grains. Much of the world eats rice.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

LucianAMD wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:18 am Don't forget the best do:
17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
True, you did forget #17. Not sure why :-?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

BrianM wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:19 am
Alcohol, beer -> DUI. Bad.

Beer bellies -> Bad.

Part of the don'ts.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

It's clearly part of the do's. But it's also discouraged based on modern Church teachings.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

Arenera wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:29 am

Beer bellies -> Bad.

Part of the don'ts.

Those things only happen if you drink in excess. Part of the original temple recommend questions "Have you been intoxicated with strong drink?". A beer or 3 a week does a body good. Not a strong drink and not getting intoxicated.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Women aren't throwing their babies in the trash because they have heart disease. This disease will begin in Utah "And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth". And when it does everyone will blame Mormons for starting this plague.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

LucianAMD wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:36 am
Arenera wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:29 am

Beer bellies -> Bad.

Part of the don'ts.

Those things only happen if you drink in excess. Part of the original temple recommend questions "Have you been intoxicated with strong drink?". A beer or 3 a week does a body good. Not a strong drink and not getting intoxicated.
Try this instead!
9FA6FEC2-4FF2-4350-8952-DFD2496BBDC2-225-000000114997AAB5.jpeg
9FA6FEC2-4FF2-4350-8952-DFD2496BBDC2-225-000000114997AAB5.jpeg (66.67 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I do not think we neglect the WOW. In fact, I think we focus way too much on it.

It seems to me that peoples ideas on nutrition are akin to religious belief with about as much scientific basis. Most people take this religious belief and morph the WOW to fit.

I respect the people who quietly try an live the WOW because they feel a desire to. I get tired of the people who constantly yell from the rafters about the WOW or who are always hijacking discussions about WOW with their modern nutritional beliefs.

The WOW was given for your benefit, not as a commandment; therefore it cannot be "neglected".

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

I LOVE GUNS AND BACON!!