The "one mighty and strong" poll

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

What is your belief about the "one mighty and strong"?

Possibility #1: Closed prophecy (or no belief in any end-times servant)
26%
Possibility #2: Prophecy of a future presiding bishop
10%
Possibility #3: As former member, he will not recognize any keys held by the Church, or will wrest the keys from it
19%
Possibility #4: He will recognize the keys in the Church and work alongside or within it
23%
Possibility #5: The Church will become non-existent or will be broken up by the time he comes to power
3%
Possibility #6: He will be a complete outsider of the Church
19%

Total votes: 31
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

The "one mighty and strong" poll

Post by Jonesy »

I'm really just curious about what is believed about the “one mighty and strong”. I would like to know what really is the mainstream belief in the Church -- but just here at LDSFF will do. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Mighty_and_Strong

The first two options are based on the Wikipedia link above. Options three through six assume a more expansive role along with great powers.

If there's an alternate answer I need to add, please let me know. My assumption is that this includes other names like the Davidic Servant, etc. Thanks!
Last edited by Jonesy on July 12th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The "one mighty and strong" poll

Post by Robin Hood »

An additional question could read something like "has the one mighty and strong already been and gone?"

The reason I say this is because a case can be made for both Brigham Young and Joseph Smith III.
Just a thought.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

It appears that David ben Denver Snuffer has volunteered to be the one.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I voted for four. I lean heavily towards the "work along side" as I believe there has got to be a trial of faith to some extent. Though it is certainly possible he will work "within" the church, even then I would expect something out of the norm that would require a trial of faith to discover and receive a witness as to this man's mission.

You created this poll at 11:11 PM by the way ... ;)

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

This is kind of a touchy subject...my grandfather fell into a church faction group where they believed the one mighty and strong existed among them. President Heber J. Grant warned him that if he didn't cut ties he would be excommunicated. My grandfather did not listen and paid the price. :(

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

kittycat51 wrote: July 12th, 2017, 12:57 pm This is kind of a touchy subject...my grandfather fell into a church faction group where they believed the one mighty and strong existed among them. President Heber J. Grant warned him that if he didn't cut ties he would be excommunicated. My grandfather did not listen and paid the price. :(
Thanks for sharing that--my condolences. I was shocked when I read this wiki article as to the number of people who claim to be the one mighty and strong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Mighty_and_Strong

However, to me this lends further evidence to the fact that there will be One Mighty and Strong. The devil sends both false Christs and false Prophets to deceive to fight and derail the truth and God's works. Looking where the devil fights the hardest and screams the loudest is almost a cheat sheet to see the mirror image of what God values the most--where his works and efforts are concentrated. Try researching anything LDS on google and the quantity and venemosity of anti mormon hits are a true testament. Likewise if the One Mighty and Strong weren't a big deal to God's latter-day plans, likely there wouldn't be so many claiming to be him. My $ 0.02. :ymsmug:

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

alaris wrote: July 12th, 2017, 1:40 pm
kittycat51 wrote: July 12th, 2017, 12:57 pm This is kind of a touchy subject...my grandfather fell into a church faction group where they believed the one mighty and strong existed among them. President Heber J. Grant warned him that if he didn't cut ties he would be excommunicated. My grandfather did not listen and paid the price. :(
Thanks for sharing that--my condolences. I was shocked when I read this wiki article as to the number of people who claim to be the one mighty and strong:

However, to me this lends further evidence to the fact that there will be One Mighty and Strong. The devil sends both false Christs and false Prophets to deceive to fight and derail the truth and God's works. Looking where the devil fights the hardest and screams the loudest is almost a cheat sheet to see the mirror image of what God values the most--where his works and efforts are concentrated. Try researching anything LDS on google and the quantity and venemosity of anti mormon hits are a true testament. Likewise if the One Mighty and Strong weren't a big deal to God's latter-day plans, likely there wouldn't be so many claiming to be him. My $ 0.02. :ymsmug:
James J. Strang
Joseph Smith III
James Brighouse
Jesus Christ
Samuel Eastman
John Tanner Clark
Alma Dayer LeBaron, Sr.
Nathaniel Baldwin
John the Baptist
An Indian Prophet
Benjamin F. LeBaron
J.H. Sherwood (Jasper No. 7)
Joseph Smith
Paul Fell
Merl Kilgore
Joel F. LeBaron
Eachta Eachta Na
LeRoy Wilson
Alonzo Langford
William L. Goldman
Alexandre R. Caffiaux
Ervin LeBaron
David Roberts
John W. Bryant
Eugene O. Walton
Archie D. Wood
Frank Miller
Roger E. Billings
Ron and Dan Lafferty
Art Bulla
Brian David Mitchell
David Denver Snuffer

Is he here yet?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Arenera wrote: July 12th, 2017, 1:57 pm

James J. Strang
Joseph Smith III
James Brighouse
Jesus Christ
Samuel Eastman
John Tanner Clark
Alma Dayer LeBaron, Sr.
Nathaniel Baldwin
John the Baptist
An Indian Prophet
Benjamin F. LeBaron
Joseph Smith
Paul Fell
Merl Kilgore
Joel F. LeBaron
Eachta Eachta Na
LeRoy Wilson
Alonzo Langford
William L. Goldman
Alexandre R. Caffiaux
Ervin LeBaron
David Roberts
John W. Bryant
Eugene O. Walton
Archie D. Wood
Frank Miller
Roger E. Billings
Ron and Dan Lafferty
Art Bulla
Brian David Mitchell
David Denver Snuffer

Is he here yet?

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

alaris wrote: July 12th, 2017, 3:11 pm
Arenera wrote: July 12th, 2017, 1:57 pm

James J. Strang
Joseph Smith III
James Brighouse
Jesus Christ
Samuel Eastman
John Tanner Clark
Alma Dayer LeBaron, Sr.
Nathaniel Baldwin
John the Baptist
An Indian Prophet
Benjamin F. LeBaron
Joseph Smith
Paul Fell
Merl Kilgore
Joel F. LeBaron
Eachta Eachta Na
LeRoy Wilson
Alonzo Langford
William L. Goldman
Alexandre R. Caffiaux
Ervin LeBaron
David Roberts
John W. Bryant
Eugene O. Walton
Archie D. Wood
Frank Miller
Roger E. Billings
Ron and Dan Lafferty
Art Bulla
Brian David Mitchell
David Denver Snuffer

Is he here yet?
lol now thats funny

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Will the One Mighty and Strong claim to be such, or will we only see it in retrospect?

Does anyone think it could have been Brigham Young?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Robin Hood wrote: July 12th, 2017, 3:26 pm Will the One Mighty and Strong claim to be such, or will we only see it in retrospect?

Brigham Young was the American Moses. He also had a few wives, you would have to be strong for that!

Actually, he is on the list, i must have left it off.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Robin Hood wrote: July 12th, 2017, 3:26 pm Will the One Mighty and Strong claim to be such, or will we only see it in retrospect?

I feel very strongly he won't even if he knows he is. To me the law of witnesses says others will have to present him and testify to his mission.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

brigham, he must have been very mighty strong one, urrrr...but again urrr... probably in different senses....
`
`
brigham masonic pin
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... onic%20pin

"My reasons are these: We lived next door to her, under the same roof.... This Elizabeth Mayer had a father and a brother who were gardners; they took their dinners, as they worked a long piece from home. After they had left for work, Brigham would step into the house, she would then lock the door and pull down the blinds and curtains, which to me was strange. He never came to see our folks, although not five steps apart; and when he left he was always in a hurry, and she never came to the door with him when he was leaving.

This same thing occurred in Nauvoo with a woman and Brigham. Her name was Greenough; her son was about my age, was always driven out when Brigham came, the door was shut and the curtains lowered. I was puzzled to know why he acted so, if he had a good heart, and was engaged in the business of teaching the truth, why drive the boy out? Why not come also and see my mother, only a few steps apart?
"
physicalty stamina man
:-B

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I'm 99% sure I met Brian David Mitchell before he kidnapped Elizabeth Smart. I wish I would've saved the "patriarchal blessing" he wrote out for me...

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

may a bit sound extreme, but maybe brian david stuff mightve been a false flag op....to discredit avraham gileadi books and one mighty strong notion. if memory serves correct ted gunderson mentioned eliz and her father(figure or relatives?) for some ring?!....

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Robin Hood wrote: July 12th, 2017, 10:46 am An additional question could read something like "has the one mighty and strong already been and gone?"

The reason I say this is because a case can be made for both Brigham Young and Joseph Smith III.
Just a thought.
I personally wouldn't classify anyone as "mighty and strong" in a spiritual sense who doesn't manifest the sealing power as it is found in the scriptures (power over the elements). Neither of those two men qualify.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Normally I would agree with you but I have discovered that there is always a surplus of volunteers claiming to be important figures. Any time sometime is willing to suggest that there might be an important position to fill there are usually many others eager to back them up and claim to be there important person. I expect our human soul's desire to be seen as valuable and important makes us susceptible to these sorts of things.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: July 12th, 2017, 7:12 pm I'm 99% sure I met Brian David Mitchell before he kidnapped Elizabeth Smart. I wish I would've saved the "patriarchal blessing" he wrote out for me...
It would probably be worth something as a collectable article now...

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Meili wrote: July 12th, 2017, 8:26 pm
SmallFarm wrote: July 12th, 2017, 7:12 pm I'm 99% sure I met Brian David Mitchell before he kidnapped Elizabeth Smart. I wish I would've saved the "patriarchal blessing" he wrote out for me...
If I could somehow prove it was his... I doubt it. I would like to show it to people as a conversation piece though. Even if it wasn't BDM, that guy was crazy; would never tell me his name.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"Brian David Mitchell was born on October 18, 1953 in Salt Lake City, Utah, he believed himself the fore-ordained angel ... Gileadi, with which Mitchell became familiar from his former participation with Stirling Allan's American Study Group.
"
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... %20gileadi

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

if memory correctly serves, when he was arrested he had books of gileadis. :-B

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks for the input and votes. Keep 'em coming!
My reason for this poll is to see if there are those who don't believe in an end-time servant; and also, if some do, how the servant would regard the keys in the Church. I'm also curious to the reasoning. I'm not really focused on the 'who' or 'when'.

There are so many varying beliefs about this servant, and therefore much misunderstanding that can take place. We can already see how much damage this concept draws from the many false claims, past and present.

First, I do believe in an end-time servant, because Joseph Smith seemed to allude that there would be one, even apart from the revelation he received in section 85 of the Doctrine and Covenants (which could be something altogether different or even a shadow of his full mission). I do tend to believe much of what Avraham Gileadi has expounded from Isaiah to some degree. There seems to be plenty of substance to establish a belief in this servant. And this servant is no joke. He will be endowed with much power, and the world will know it. He must fit under many requirements, and such that we have not yet seen (only mere claims).

Personally, I believe the servant will actually become a member of the Church. In my understanding, it makes sense since he is going to start again where Joseph Smith left off in the restoration. He wouldn't break any of the laws already received by Joseph Smith. After all, John the Baptist didn't trample any laws before him.

I think the Church is currently out of order, in a sense. At the same time, I believe Christ is leading this Church precisely where it needs to be. This in accordance to what is expedient in the Church, and all part of the Lord's plans in bringing forth an even greater work than Joseph Smith.

When it all comes down to it, the more I study and learn about this servant, the more elusive he becomes to my understanding. I think whatever we learn of him should be used in discernment for now and the future.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

hopes this would be the last from sushi_ in this thread, off-topicky as usual....but,

that "Stirling Allan's American Study Group" one, probably the purpose was similar or comparable to/with mao zedongs 100 flowers....

"It was most likely a deliberate policy to bring out hidden critics of his policies by encouraging them to speak publicly, and then a deliberate purge to eliminate them after they had spoken their minds through a crackdown
" https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... o%20zedong

sushi_ remembers now! sushi_ had one email back from mr stirling allen, around the year 2010? will/might look into if still there. had had info he served mission in sapporo jpn(northern island), so, had hunches to get email responding...

anyhow what sushi_ remembers/asked was if byu ex-professor jones was kinda red-herring to 911 investigation.
and he email-answered back was he does not think he was red- herring and he/ dr jones was good friend of his.

thats all. :-B :-B

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

SmallFarm wrote: July 12th, 2017, 9:01 pm
Meili wrote: July 12th, 2017, 8:26 pm
If I could somehow prove it was his... I doubt it. I would like to show it to people as a conversation piece though. Even if it wasn't BDM, that guy was crazy; would never tell me his name.
I'm curious, do you remember anything it said?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

No unfortunately. I wrote it off as gobbledygook.