The single most common affliction of mankind: possession by evil spirits

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

The single most common affliction of mankind: possession by evil spirits

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

A few years ago, my bishop cast out several unclean spirits from me. When I felt them leave me, it changed my life. I spent the next three plus years researching the phenomenon of possession by evil spirits. When it came to possession, what I took for granted as “truth” melted away like the morning dew. Almost everything I thought was true turned out to be nothing more than belief in the wisdom of the world. What I did learn about evil spirits completely changed the way I looked at the world.

After all my research, I have come to the conclusion that possession by evil spirits is the single most common affliction of mankind. I wrote an extensive treatise on the subject of evil spirits based on what I found. It is heavily referenced with a couple hundred quotes from various prophets and general authorities starting with Joseph Smith and up to the present day. The treatise also contains an appendix of over 100 pages of quotes on the subject of evil spirits, inherited lies, and discernment.

Some of the things I learned is that possession is extremely common and that this was officially taught by the Church. I have copies of two Sunday school lesson plans for the Young Women that state this. I also have copies of Deseret News articles that talk about how to not become possessed. I also learned that a lot of our physical and mental illnesses are caused by evil spirits. Not all, but a lot. There are many members who say, “If you talk about evil spirits, you'll bring them about.” That is a total myth born out of fear. Evil spirits already surround us every moment of our lives. Talking about them won't bring them about; they are already here.

Before commenting on this subject, I would strongly recommend you read the treatise. You'll be very surprised what is in it. If you want to download a copy of the treatise, you can do it here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The single most common affliction of mankind: possession by evil spirits

Post by JohnnyL »

Hey, don't say what I've been telling the anti-Energy Healers all along! Hopefully we'll all read it with open hearts and ears and learn.

Viruses: evil spirits/ demons.
Bacteria: unclean spirits (unsaved dead).

inquirringmind
captain of 100

Post by inquirringmind »

I can't open the file

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

JohnnyL wrote:Hey, don't say what I've been telling the anti-Energy Healers all along! Hopefully we'll all read it with open hearts and ears and learn.

Energy healing does not follow the pattern of healing set down by the scriptures.

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:"
(James 5:14)

Energy healing has its roots in mysticism and spiritualism, both of which have been condemned by the Church. Any Latter-day Saint who goes to them is playing with fire because the power these people have to "heal" others comes from Satan.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

inquirringmind wrote:I can't open the file
I just tried downloading and opening the file and I had no problem.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:Hey, don't say what I've been telling the anti-Energy Healers all along! Hopefully we'll all read it with open hearts and ears and learn.

Energy healing does not follow the pattern of healing set down by the scriptures.

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:"

Energy healing has its roots in mysticism and spiritualism, both of which have been condemned by the Church. Any Latter-day Saint who goes to them is playing with fire because the power these people have to "heal" others comes from Satan.
Umm... Nope. It follows truth. ;)

Interesting how you believe the words of prophets to be myths, though.
Last edited by JohnnyL on September 14th, 2016, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

JohnnyL wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:

Umm... Nope. It follows truth. ;)
Satan's Power to Perform Miracles
Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, vol. 1 ( 1957)

Question: "Does Satan have power to perform miracles? The question arises out of the fact that a preacher is apparently performing healings and demonstrating his power (by television and radio), thus advertising his meetings and the work he is doing. There are some actions and expressions which he uses that impress me and some others that his work does not come from the Lord. We feel that they do not harmonize with the teachings of our Savior. He seems to represent no church but invites his hearers to join some church and attend their meetings. We have no solution to this problem, can you help us?"

Answer: All down through the ages and in almost all countries, men have exercised great occult and mystical powers, even to the healing of the sick and the performing of miracles. Soothsayers, magicians, and astrologers were found in the courts of ancient kings. They had certain powers by which they divined and solved the monarch's problems, dreams, etc. One of the most striking examples of this is recorded in Exodus, where Pharaoh called "the wise men and the sorcerers" who duplicated some of the miracles the Lord had commanded Moses and Aaron to perform. When Aaron threw down his rod, it became a serpent. The Egyptian magicians threw down their rods, and they also became serpents. When Aaron stretched his rod over the river, it became like blood, and the fish died. "And the magicians of Egypt did so with their enchantments:" and when Aaron stretched forth his rod over the streams, the rivers and ponds, there came forth frogs that covered the land. "And the magicians did so with their enchantments, and brought up frogs upon the land of Egypt."(Exodus, chapters 7-8.) Beyond this point the magicians of Egypt could not go. The magicians failed in the days of Joseph to interpret the dream of Pharaoh because it was a dream from the Lord, but Joseph, because he held the priesthood, interpreted it. Likewise in the dream of Nebuchadnezzar of the image, the astrologers failed to give the interpretation because the dream came from the Lord, and Daniel, who held the priesthood gave the interpretation. Even to this day the magicians of India perform many wonderful works.

SATAN HAS GREAT POWER

There is no doubt about Satan having great power and that he can appear as an angel of light. In this form he appeared on the banks of the Susquehanna River to oppose the restoration of keys, and was detected by Michael, and his plans were thwarted.(See D. & C. 128:20. Compare also Section 129:8.) Jacob, son of Lehi, in his teachings, stated that if there had been no atonement, our spirits ". . . must have become like unto him [Satan], and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness."(2 Nephi 9:9.)

Korihor, who tried to deceive the Nephites, admitted that Satan appeared to him as an angel and told him what to teach the people.(Alma 30:53. )

When the Prophet Joseph Smith and a company of brethren were journeying to Kirtland from Missouri, they camped at McIlwaine's Bend on the Missouri River. There Elder William W. Phelps "in open vision by daylight, saw the destroyer in his most horrible power, ride upon the face of the waters; others heard the noise, but saw not the vision."(D.H.C., Vol. 1, p. 203.) The Savior declared that Satan had the power to bind bodies of men and women and sorely afflict them.(Matthew 7:22-23; Luke 13:16.) If Satan has power to bind the bodies, he surely must have power to loose them. It should be remembered that Satan has great knowledge and thereby can exercise authority and to some extent control the elements, when some greater power does not intervene. Paul, writing to the Ephesian Saints called Satan "The prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience."(Ephesians 2:2.)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Cool. And? (Except he kind of contradicts what Jesus said...)

Don't worry, there are already plenty of threads on this tangent.

inquirringmind
captain of 100

Post by inquirringmind »

JohnnyL wrote:Cool. And? (Except he kind of contradicts what Jesus said...)
What do you mean exactly?

Do you have a particular chapter and verse in mind?

inquirringmind
captain of 100

Post by inquirringmind »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
inquirringmind wrote:I can't open the file
I just tried downloading and opening the file and I had no problem.
I downloaded it OK, but when I try opening it I get pop up that says "file cannot be opened."

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

Who would have thought evil spirits would be susceptible to penicillin and Acyclovir.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:

Who would have thought evil spirits would be susceptible to penicillin and Acyclovir.
I'm used to these types of comments, although this one is a slightly more original one than most. Before you decide anything, why not read the treatise? I do not claim any original inspiration or revelation. It's just that when I find literally scores of quotes regarding the capabilities of evil spirits from the prophets and apostles, then I felt it was time to rethink my own beliefs. I do find that with many LDS that they fear having to discover their traditionally held beliefs are actually inherited lies and false traditions. It stifles their growth and leads to unbelief. Joseph Smith lamented about this problem.
But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand.
I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen.

Joseph Smith
HC 6:184-185
Before you continue with your unbelief, read the treatise.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Wow, I am amazed at the effort that went into that document. The list of so many quotes from scriptures and church leaders is quite valuable. Thank you for sharing your research and your faith.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Wow, great stuff! How incredibly pervasive indeed is this dark influence.. I will never forget on the ol mission when Elder Ballard visited and spoke to us. He estimated that if you were to spread the third host of heaven out and assign them to the populace of the earth it would be 7 to 1. And with this statistic -- he did not mention the disembodied variety that are rampant that add to the ratio? He also said that the world in large degree is wicked and that in many cases the numbers of evil are stacked up trying to prevent people living for Christ from progressing. In other words, disproportionately high #"s of dark forces are after those who covenant with Christ to follow him. We also know that no matter the amount waging war against us--their influence is kept at bay etc through the strength of God's power and Love through righteous Christ atonement powered living. Evil cannot (as a friend of mine who has received his eternal promise and many of the blessings of the restored gospel-- has told me) amongst other things can not stand to be in the presence of a person who acknowledges God's love and shows gratitude for all blessings in ones life. Remember, Christ's precious friend Mary was once possessed by evil spirits. Also, Peter immediately after proclaiming that Jesus was the Christ through the confirming witness given by the Holy Spirit, spoke against the ultimate mission of Christ ( his atonement) almost in the same breath as the "good" witness was given to him resulting with Christ rebukeing the evil spirit that was with in and around him. To think that we cannot or have not been possessed or wrongfully influenced by evil is folly.... Make no mistakces we truly wrest the scriptures to our destruction if we are not hungering and thirsting after the righteousness that prevails with in their pages and also learn from their pages ( and the messages of God's modern servants) life's lessons on how to stay clean and safe from rampant evil... 2 Nephi 9 is a beautiful chapter how Christ centered living and an atonement powered life grants a person the life he or she should have in regards to God's protective influence, love, and blessings etc. The scriptures and other Holy Spirit inspired works are full to the brim with such protective and life altering illumination that reveals Christ and in turn grants us his power to with stand the bruises and be able to crush the affects of evil in our lives. Thanks Brother Rumple for this great post and for your extensive efforts. God's choicest blessings for you my brother, Love and gratitude, Jared
Last edited by diligently seeking on September 15th, 2016, 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

I have shared my experience with the book of mormon a few times on this forum. I share it again for those of you who have not read it and need a reminder of the power and significance of feasting on holy writ / righteousness for our protection and for so so much more.... :ymblushing:

My parents divorced when I was 10-- resulting with my Father choosing to be absent from our lives. Regrettably, I chose to use my agency poorly in my teen years. Tragically, mom was diagnosed with a terminal cancer when I was 14. She was told that with chemotherapy and radiation she could possibly live 8 months. She explained to the doctor that she had faith she would live long enough to see her last children off. Very shortly after this, she was given a priesthood blessing that told her as much. Miraculously, her bone cancer multiple myeloma, went into remission. My sweet angel mother was about as perfect as mom (Child of God) could be. She was a fervent/faithfull follower of Jesus in word and deed. There was no duplicity in her; truly, this elect woman was without guile and was wonderfully filled with and emanated the pure love of Christ. Miracles too, were ubiquitous/everywhere for this saintly woman.

So many over cast times in my life I would be healed mentally, emotionally, and lifted spiritually just being in her righteous presence. I will never forget a time in my life when I was 16 watching "Geraldo" (a tv talk show) downstairs in my room. The theme of the show that day was: people who were abducted by aliens and returned. Sounds so comical now, but, at that time of my life-- it created a faith crisis. Geraldo's guests were most convincing. As the show progressed, I became increasingly convinced these folks --had-- been abducted. Panic filled my heart. The thoughts that raced through my mind were "how could the church be true-- why would God allow these things to take place--Alien abductions were not supposed to be apart of the Plan of Salvation"!?

I knew I had to speak to the resident- spiritual authority in my home. Hollering to see if my mom was upstairs-- She replied that she was. I wanted at some point in my life to embrace the faith that my mother so beautifully reflected. I knew that my lifestyle was practically void of the happiness and serenity she had in abundance. I was feeling very forlorn/sad as I walked up those stairs. I most assuredly hoped, but was not so convinced, that my mother could help me. When she saw me, she asked sweetly what she could do for me. I observed that she was sitting in her favorite dimpled leather chair reading her oh-so-loved-scriptures. Upon being in my mother's presence I was immediately filled with incredible peace and joy. All feelings of emotional pain, anxiety, and confusion were completely taken from me. So thorough was this cleansing-- that I didn't even ask my mother a single question. Astonished by this beautiful and immediate result-- I simply told her "oh nothing" turned around and went back downstairs.

Though I had this profound experience, numbskull me, Still chose to live a life That was unbecoming of a Latter day Saint. The 19th year in my life was approaching fast. I was settling in on the idea that a mission was going to be a part of my future. This was a strong wish and desire of my mothers. My mission call came. The day came for me to leave to the MTC. My angel mother passed that morning. My twin sister had already left the home. Departing to the MTC that morning, I was the last of her 9 children to leave. The power of this righteous woman's faith, and the power / efficacy of the priesthood blessing she received-- resulted in her righteous desire and wish being fulfilled --to the day--

At first, the Lord's mission I was called to serve to was a difficult struggle. President Ezra T Benson talked about having a vision seeing an army of missionaries that could "match the message," this--I was not. Growing spiritually during my formative/ early years was largely wasted. The lead surgeon in the county that we labored in -- my first area-- Invited us over to teach a friend. Introducing my companion and I-- he explained in glowing details what a great missionary my trainer was. He explained with an unenthused tone that "Elder Beesley meant well as a missionary but was not quite up to speed."

I was devastated. No doubt he was right. As we entered our apartment that night, I asked to be alone in the bedroom. Pouring my heart and soul out to Father in Heaven-- I cried and cried asking forgiveness for not being prepared and pleading for help.That first area I nearly read the Book of Mormon 3 times. A miracle occurred. Nothing short of the Red Sea parting. Not only did the gospel make crystal clear sense, but my intellect (by my standards) soared! I went from an unorganized somewhat unkempt fella-- all the sudden I felt to be organized and precise in my actions. So much fog lifted-- my mind was expanded and made much more clear. My previous swollen twisted tongue shrunk to size and was "loosed" I truly was going through a glorious- spiritual rebirth. The last fast and testimony meeting before I was transferred to a new area this lead-surgeon member stood to bear his testimony. He stated that amongst other things helping him to know that the church is true-- he testified that another feather in his cap of testimony was seeing a miracle with the transformation of Elder Beesley. He rightly knew that I was a lowly way behind the curve missionary when I first entered the mission field. He also knew that nothing short Of God's tender mercy and miraculous help could have done for me what had occurred and was occurring.

I know unquestionably, nothing unlocked this door for me so profoundly as did the study of the Book of Mormon. Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ became so wonderfully real and close to me. I can honestly say that I read a total of 6 books in 19 years of living. The majority of those in the fourth grade. I gave little to no energy in my studies from junior high to high school. Suddenly, to study the Book of Mormon, a book littered with thee thou and thines etc --for it! to come alive! Wonder of wonders...

Studying the gospel, particularly reading the Book of Mormon, I became infused/ filled with the Spirit of God. I truly became a "New Creature in Christ" (2Corinthians 5:17) born of god, having received a mighty change of heart! I do not know how many times I read The Book of Mormon on the Lord's mission. I do know that it was approaching somewhere around 15 times. I read certain books with in the Book of Mormon a hundred times and more. I love the book of Alma. :) Joy and anticipation came arising in the morning to read the Book of Mormon. I could not wait to come home for lunch to read the Book of Mormon. I truly hungered and thirsted for the glorious affects that came into my life reading the great "Stick of Joseph" (Ezekiel37:19)

When you are near SPIRITUALY--blind, lame, deaf, and dumb and you discover sooner than later your relationship with deity/God and Jesus becoming so real and sacred for you--and you are suddenly given beautiful gifts and your known talents heightened--beautiful spiritual vistas are opened up to you--the voice of the Lord (via the Holy Ghost that blessed "Comforter" (John 14:26,27) is heard and obeyed--when great clarity of thought and speech increase and all of this from these fruits given through sincere study and application and prayer from reading a book! Incredible! What amazing love and appreciation fills your whole being...I always knew my mother "knew it" she truly was a mother "who knew" (Alma 56:47,48) I testify that to become a person "who knows" the expedited path is the path that leads you to the unending feast, even the great spiritual banquet --which is-- the BOOK of MORMON--book of all BOOKS!

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Contemplator wrote:Wow, I am amazed at the effort that went into that document. The list of so many quotes from scriptures and church leaders is quite valuable. Thank you for sharing your research and your faith.
The more I researched into the subject of evil spirits, the more I realized just how deceived the Latter-day Saints have become when it comes to accepting the wisdom of the world. Many LDS accept the premise of psychiatry when it comes to mental illness in spite of the fact that psychiatry has a badly flawed foundation. It denies the existence of God, Jesus, Satan, and evil spirits. I, too, believed in psychiatry for most of my life. However, when I saw that the prophets and apostles taught that a lot of sickness and mental illness are the result of evil spirits, I had to change a lot of my fundamental beliefs. I cannot tell you how difficult it was for me to do this. Satan is very clever and has convinced the world that he doesn't exist. For the Latter-day Saints, he has convinced many of them that he isn't much more than a symbol of evil who only tempts and influences. What is even more pathetic is that in one survey, only 59% of LDS indicated that they believe that Satan is a real person.

There have been myths developed among the LDS because of Satan's successful efforts to deceive them. Because of this, they lack faith and are susceptible to the influence of false spirits. False spirits are insidious because they will package their lies to agree with the prejudices and preconceptions of a gullible person. They will tell 99 truths to get in one lie and once an LDS accepts one lie, they will accept more lies. I see this phenomenon more and more as I observe the LDS. Little things like propagating the myths that if you talk about evil spirits, you will bring them about you, or if you talk about them, you will give them power. What a crock.

Joseph Smith taught that knowledge is power and knowledge is salvation. That is why evil spirits have more power than most people on the earth: because they have more knowledge. Satan is old and experienced, consequently he has more knowledge and more power. However, there is one thing that he is terrified of, and that is the priesthood. For the righteous Latter-day Saint, he must leave when commanded. For those without the necessary faith and lack of unbelief, he will simply laugh at.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Joseph Smith taught that knowledge is power and knowledge is salvation. That is why evil spirits have more power than most people on the earth: because they have more knowledge. Satan is old and experienced, consequently he has more knowledge and more power. However, there is one thing that he is terrified of, and that is the priesthood. For the righteous Latter-day Saint, he must leave when commanded. For those without the necessary faith and lack of unbelief, he will simply laugh at.
It is because of this that I think it is equally important to understand priesthood. Not just offices in the church but a full understanding that includes the relationship between priesthood and the powers of heaven. As many prophets and apostles have taught, we need more than just the authority of the priesthood, we need the power that is only available through priesthood.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Contemplator wrote:
It is because of this that I think it is equally important to understand priesthood. Not just offices in the church but a full understanding that includes the relationship between priesthood and the powers of heaven. As many prophets and apostles have taught, we need more than just the authority of the priesthood, we need the power that is only available through priesthood.
Aside from righteous living and the other traditional advice for gaining priesthood power, another way is correct knowledge. God is God because he has all knowledge. Our journey to become like Him requires our gaining knowledge. Because evil spirits are such a major part of this existence, gaining a strong knowledge of them, how they work and their methods will give one a lot of power. You will immediately know their workings and how to combat them.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

"Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness. All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing.

The central feature of pride is enmity—enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means “hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.” It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us.. E.T.B. "Beware of pride"

How often do we rationalize those emotions in our daily behavior / interactions with one another in our thoughts words and deeds ?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:

Lol, no, they're not. But when they are cast out, healing of those diseases can begin. Don't cast them out, and work yourself blue in the face trying to overcome them.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

Contemplator wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Joseph Smith taught that knowledge is power and knowledge is salvation. That is why evil spirits have more power than most people on the earth: because they have more knowledge. Satan is old and experienced, consequently he has more knowledge and more power. However, there is one thing that he is terrified of, and that is the priesthood. For the righteous Latter-day Saint, he must leave when commanded. For those without the necessary faith and lack of unbelief, he will simply laugh at.
I was once begging the Lord to relive me of suicidal thoughts from a mental illness. The spirit let me know I needed to use the power of the priesthood to force an evil spirit away. I saw in my mind eye a black wretched thing that had latched its teeth onto my brain and was causing those thoughts. I gained an immediate testimony not only that these evil spirits are waiting for any chance they can to afflict us, but that the priesthood is truly the power of God.
If demons are the poison, the priesthood is the antidote.

Although, I don't have the impression that my chronic diseases are caused by them, more that they are exploited-to my detriment.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

According to James 4:7, the devil flees from us when we resist.

I have thought about this often. Why would he flee?
I believe he is no respector of persons, in the sense that he is playing a numbers game. He genuinely believes that he can force his way onto God's throne by recruiting a majority to his cause. He really does believe it comes down to numbers in the end.
When we resist he simply concentrates his efforts elsewhere.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Robin Hood wrote: September 16th, 2016, 11:58 pm According to James 4:7, the devil flees from us when we resist.

I have thought about this often. Why would he flee?
I believe he is no respector of persons, in the sense that he is playing a numbers game. He genuinely believes that he can force his way onto God's throne by recruiting a majority to his cause. He really does believe it comes down to numbers in the end.
When we resist he simply concentrates his efforts elsewhere.
That may be true, but how do you "resist" them? I believe that in some cases - we can attract or repel good or evil by how we focus our thoughts/feelings and how we act. But I also believe that sometimes children can be prey to evil spirits - maybe because they're so sensitive to spirit realm in general. Or it could be if they have been exposed to things that are too much for them - like nightmares - but a bit worse.

I wonder about dreams - our subconscious. Isn't it a bit odd - if you think about it - that we sleep about 1/3 of our lives? If you live to 90 - that's 30 years of sleeping! There are purposes to everything - and maybe sleep and dreams helps us physically, psychologically and spiritually.

BTW - I appreciate this thread and will read the download when I get more time.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

/Doctrine and Covenants Section 50
Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Kirtland, Ohio, May 9, 1831. Joseph Smith’s history states that some of the elders did not understand the manifestations of different spirits abroad in the earth and that this revelation was given in response to his special inquiry on the matter. So-called spiritual phenomena were not uncommon among the members, some of whom claimed to be receiving visions and revelations.
Doctrine and Covenants 50 is excellent summary on spirits and discernment.

This is how the Spirit helped me understand:

Everything we do invites one kind of spirit or another. Evil spirits cannot stand to be in the presence of the Holy Ghost.

We can do many things to invite the Holy Ghost: always have a prayer in our heart, read the scriptures, serve righteously.

There are many things we can do to drive him away much of which involves our thoughts and actions that are out of harmony with the gospel.

I pray daily: 1 to thank the Lord for his protection and then 2. to ask him to send his angels to guard round about my family and property to protect us from physical and spiritual danger. Even though I often use the same words, I do this with a sincere heart.

Some time ago I was having trouble: I was watching a tv show with my husband that I knew wasn't great, but it was kind of interesting and I was trying to spend time with him doing what he wanted.

Thinking about the show was invading my mental down time (you know, driving, doing dishes, whatever when your mind just drifts.)

I realized that I should stop watching the show, but I started wanting to see it and couldn't get rid of some of the images and thoughts. I asked the Lord for help and this is what I saw in my mind:

I was in a small circular room with many doors. Behind one door was Satan. It had a chain lock on it and a doorknob with a lock as well. He would stand behind the door and try to get me to open it in many ways. Sometimes he would just knock normally. Sometimes he would talk quietly :"Hey I have a funny story to tell you." Sometimes he would bang on the door and shout.

By opening the door just a smidge, enough to hear his story (think the tv show I shouldn't watch) he would put his foot in the door so I couldn't close it. I still had the chain lock, but I couldn't shut the door tight.

When I prayed and asked for help I was told I didn't have the power to shut the door again. I asked for the Lord's help and the Savior came through one of the other doors. He shut the door that Satan was at and then told me that I should not open the door again because he would not be as quick to respond now that I knew better and he had helped me.

I think of that often now: we must be very careful what doors we open in our lives. Some we can close ourselves, but some we can't. And once the Lord has helped us, once we know a door should stay closed, we are more accountable not to open it again.

This applies to any addiction, any temptation, any sin. Open the door to the Savior and leave it closed to Satan. Satan cannot open those doors, he can only tempt us to open them for him.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Yahtzee wrote: September 16th, 2016, 11:32 pm Although, I don't have the impression that my chronic diseases are caused by them, more that they are exploited-to my detriment.
My wife and I have had many experiences that have showed us this is exactly true. I am also strongly suspecting that her family has been dogged by familiar spirits for generations. Understanding these things have led to much spiritual healing in her life.