The True Lessons From the Fall of Adam and Eve

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
roycelerwick
captain of 50

Re: The True Lessons From the Fall of Adam and Eve

Post by roycelerwick »

What a lot of work you've done on this topic! I can't be critical because that would be hypocritical. But I must observe that I find it funny that you could write for so long and go into so much depth rationalizing this theory of yours, even confessing that it pretty much smacks the face of both the overt message of canon and generations of interpretations of it, yet apparently miss all the primary elements of the Adam and Eve parable:

1 It's allegorical, not literal. The fruit, the serpent, the garden, are not necessarily literal. Fruit=Sex? Snake--maybe not a real snake, maybe equals just some evil presence, or concept of spiritual/mental temptation? Don't know. Not really meant to know. Had the author wanted us to know, he would have been doing all the writing and thread-tying-up you did to point out that there was some other meaning in the Garden tale than the obvious ones the LDS interpretations have traditionally come up with.

2 Was the whole point about rebellion? Or was it really about mankind taking upon itself the burden of Free Agency, of actually exercising a choice--specifically one in defiance of God, one that would prove the concept of Agency itself? In your thesis, not defying God proves the Agency of Man just as much as disobedience to God. Talk about fallacious logic. Man only has Agency THEORETICALLY, as a concept, until he exercises it in a way particularly of his own will--IE Free Will is only Free Will if it's free to disobey God, and until that happens once, Free Will is only a concept, not a reality.

Otherwise, what you've done here is fall back into a Calvinist/Papist, well, "orthodox" Christian interpretation of our First Father and Mother being inexcusable sinners, because it somehow annoys you not to be able to say that any and all disobedience is inexcusable, because somehow that would cheapen your personal perspective of "sin" and Free Agency or something.

3 There's nothing confusing about the two commandments in question, one to reproduce, and the other not to eat of the mystical, metaphorical fruit of knowledge. It's the latter that is unique if anything, not the former.

What knowledge is gained by not eating the fruit? Nothing. It's the knowledge that nothing has changed and nothing is going to change forever. Man in this state of "enlightenment," (non-"enlightenment that is) only has a theoretical power to manipulate his environment and change the world around him, to act, and be acted upon. Even the changes he effects in this state are just the will of God being executed by a compliant servant who has no choice. Unless Man eats of the fruit--disobeys God, the fruit of disobedience we might say--he exists only as an aspect of the willful expression of God, not as a co-eternal intelligence and unique personage. (One of the first heresy's Joseph Smith pointed out "orthodox" Christianity had perpetrated upon the Church.)

Every father comes to the point where he says, OK, you're a big boy now, it's up to you, but I'm telling you not to go off into the big city, don't play with dynamite, don't speed and don't stay out late. Those are my rules or you're going to get killed. No father says, hey, it'll work out great, take my hot rod, have some liquor and a few guns, go climb some loose rock faces, get in some cliff diving, find a good brothel, maybe join the army, go off to war and you'll be fine. Fathers are protective. So, Heavenly Father gave Adam and Eve a very specific commandment with a very specific sanction against disobedience: It's your choice, but you'll pay for it. Not: you'll burn in hell, but you'll bring yourself and your world down to a mortal level. If that happens, I can't help you any more. You're dead to me.

God cannot create a mortal world and mortal children and be happy with that. God is not about consorting with imperfection. He can't even hang around that. You do that thing I warned you about kids, and you're outa' here. My house, my rules. But you decide how it's gonna be.

Mankind had to chose mortality. That was the start of Agency. That was the birth of "knowledge," but more importantly, that was the only path to true wisdom and enlightenment. To suggest hanging around with God for eternity in the garden would have been just as good, is essentially Satan's plan. There was and never could be any other plan of salvation than the plan of salvation. Mankind needed to make real choices with real consequences in a real environment they had dominion over, to suffer, bleed and die for their own actions and ideas. That is the only way to understand the bitter and the sweet. That is "learning." Not an eternal garden party with Dad. We had that already in pre-mortal life.

But let me put it this way: We know there was a council in Heaven as we call it. We know there were plans submitted. The one chosen, the one Elohim accepted from Jaweh, Jehovah, we now call the "Plan of Salvation" and have based a religion upon it. We know Lucifer's plan was rejected. We are unaware of any other options offered, like Adam and Eve remaining sinless for eternity in the Garden of Eden. In case you're still missing it: Jesus Christ was scheduled to come redeem us from the inevitable fall of Adam and Eve long before there was a Garden of Eden for them to be driven out of. If you argue with me on this point you are by definition a heretic. Or at least not LDS.

4 By way of exploring or perhaps more so, countering your logic, (and in this case I actually think it has merit) what if the lesson of Abraham offering up Isaac as a sacrifice, is really supposed to be that Abraham made the wrong choice. What if the thing he should have done is told the Lord to stuff it up his divine nose, proclaim that human sacrifice was evil, and no true God would ever demand that of a faithful servant. Because, if that's not the case, then you're arguing that God is arbitrary, and whatever God says is just and true, even if it defies every other edict ordered by, and conception you know of the Supreme Being. You can't get any more Ex Nihilo/NeoPlatanist than that. Not LDS thinking at all.

If God told you to kill one of your children, would you just bow down and do it? Or would you question the source of this "God" you're taking these suddenly bizarre orders from? Would you, as Abraham did, escape the degenerate culture of heathen barbarians, only to blindly concede to participate in the same inhuman slaughter of the innocent, and not wonder what the point of continuing to follow this allegedly morally superior "One God" is then?

The question you do not even comprehend, that you've never thought to ask yourself even, is whether or not there is indeed a universal code of just, true, eternal principles that exist independent of, and superior to God, laws God himself cannot even break or he would cease to be God, or if the lesson you're supposed to be learning in life is to mindlessly conform, to follow a strict obedience to God's command even when it seems to be overtly contradicting that which you know to be eternal law? Or, is doing God's alleged will, even if it strikes you as blatantly evil, the ultimate test of "faith," thus forgiving you for abandoning any higher principles it ostensibly violates?

If so, then you are a prime target to be a puppet of Satan. And that is the real paradox of LDS theology.

5 Specifically: Is "faith," and "obedience," indeed the fundamental, primary lesson of mortal existence? Or is mortality literally a training for godhood, and laboratory for making independent, godlike judgments based upon a personal understanding and commitment to eternal principles--principles you have so incorporated yourself with and invested into, that you would cease to be you if you violated them?

I submit that contending Adam and Eve could have fulfilled the plan of salvation without ever disobeying God in any way, is doctrinally ludicrous relative to 4 standard works of canon and thousands upon thousands of pages of correlated, authorized, official LDS teaching materials stretching back for well over a century and a half. Well over. Under that scheme, there is no need for a plan of salvation laid out from the beginning of the Creation. No plan of salvation by definition exists, nor can one exist, if it includes Adam and Eve not falling.

You seem to have missed that.

You're essentially saying Adam and Eve would have been saved by their works--or at least lack of bad works. (Since by conventional standards, they were already "saved.") But then again, LDS theology has quite a different notion of salvation, and the ultimate reward of the Celestial Kingdom is not usually conceived as running around naked in the woods playing with the animals for eternity. And frankly, I can't follow how you've hypothesized some alternative reproduction of billions of offspring that don't age or die and never suffer or disobey.

Adam and Eve fell, they disobeyed, they were penalized. So what? That's the point of mortality is it not? And would not any one of their hypothetically perfect, sinless Garden of Eden offspring eventually have made the same choice, gobble some fruit, and set the plan in motion anyway? If it bothers you that much to suggest that our First Parents "got away" with being naughty somehow with a wink and a nod from their Creator...don't think about it.

What's really warping your mind is having to concede intellectually that absolute obedience to every whim of the Almighty might not be what it's all about all the time. That's a very Wesleyan perspective. Not terribly LDS. I take that back, but we have Emma Smith to blame for that.

Think about this: by definition sin is disobedience to God's will. But is that really precise enough? God forbade the fruit, but was it really against his will? If he can test Abraham with an unrighteous commandment--in other words, he ordered Abraham to do something blatantly unrighteous that he never intended Abraham to do--why is the Almighty in your mind then limited to not giving ostensibly contradictory commandments, and having mankind choose the greater of the two in the conflict as a similar test of mental and spiritual character? As Abraham chose obedience in his case, as opposed to refusing to perform what he surely knew to be an evil practice, Eve, and then Adam, chose to accept the given penalty for breaking a lesser commandment, in order to fulfill the entire purpose of mankind's existence.

Not a bad choice, however you want to characterize it. But it was a CHOICE . It was THEIR choice. And for generations LDS scholars, prophets, and authorized CES instructors have been saying it was the RIGHT choice. Live with it. Wrap your head around it. Embrace it. It's not going anywhere.

I know many of you are freaking out at the notion of "situational ethics" figuring into LDS theology, but there you have it. Did our Father not, as clearly canon says, defer his will to Adam and Eve on the issue of mankind's own enlightenment and progression? Why is this a difficult concept?

So, argue what you will about paradoxical commandments or the significance thereof. Jesus is not Christ, or even born in "Sinless Garden" scenario. There is no "mid time" for the Savior in which to come and fulfill his mission if time stands still in the garden. There is no end time, only a start time. No resurrection, no salvation, nothing to be saved or redeemed. The most fundamental, central message of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is utterly nullified in that program.

Did you overlook this somehow, in all your reading?
In Mosiah 13:27–28, Abinadi corrected a false idea expressed by King Noah’s priests (see Mosiah 12:31–32). He taught that obedience to the law of Moses alone could not bring them salvation. They all had need of the Savior to atone (pay the price) for their sins or “they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.”

Elder Bruce R. McConkie, who was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, applied that same lesson to our day:

“Now let us suppose a modern case. Suppose we have the scriptures, the gospel, the priesthood, the Church, the ordinances, the organization, even the keys of the kingdom—everything that now is, down to the last jot and tittle—and yet there is no atonement of Christ. What then? Can we be saved? Will all our good works save us? Will we be rewarded for all our righteousness?

“Most assuredly we will not. We are not saved by works alone, no matter how good; we are saved because God sent his Son to shed his blood in Gethsemane and on Calvary that all through him might ransomed be. We are saved by the blood of Christ (Acts 20:28; 1 Cor. 6:20).

“To paraphrase Abinadi: ‘Salvation doth not come by the Church alone; and were it not for the atonement, given by the grace of God as a free gift, all men must unavoidably perish, and this notwithstanding the Church and all that appertains to it’” (Doctrines of the Restoration: Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, ed. Mark L. McConkie [1989], 76).
https://www.lds.org/manual/book-of-morm ... 4?lang=eng
Last edited by roycelerwick on September 20th, 2017, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

freedomforall wrote: September 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 20th, 2017, 3:50 pmSubstantiate it.
Back it up. That is if you actually want to be taken serious.
Those who know the Adam-God doctrine is false already know how serious I am. Thanks for your concern, however.
In fact, I was so serious that I engaged in conversation knowing it was going to be a real challenge. I was correct. And you have no concept of just how serious I am. So your egotistical directives are mush. I know you're trying to be macho by making demands as though you were my mommy, but don't bother, I'll let you know when and if I want to back something up.

Do you have a superiority complex?
Ad Hominem again? "Do you have a superiority complex?"

I very much believe that Joseph and Brigham are my superiors which is why I believe their words over yours.
In fact, I believe Joseph and Brigham to be the superiors to anyone who lived while they did or anyone since.
John Taylor told us that Joseph smith has done more for the salvation of man than any other save Jesus Christ.
And that statement is cannon.
That makes him superior to anyone who came to this earth as mortal except Jesus.

So, I will take their words over any other except Jesus, including ancient prophets, cannon or not.
and that includes Matthew B. Brown.

His opinions are inferior to the words of Joseph and Brigham. Matthew B. Brown words are from Matthew B. Brown.
Joseph's and Brigham's words, as prophets of God, are from God. And God's opinions trump Matthew B. Brown's all eternity.

Joseph and Brigham taught what they taught at gatherings and conferences where they were they were acting in their official
capacity as head of the church, the key holder when they taught these things. One would be wise to give their words heed.

So Matthew B. Brown claims are as hollow toadstool stories. And as such, your claim is still a hollow toadstool story.
Beside that, you have not identified what Brigham contradicted.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

freedomforall wrote: September 20th, 2017, 4:43 pm
Brigham Young was the legitimate successor of the Prophet Joseph Smith but he was not a perfect or infallible man. President Young learned some things about Adam from the written and unwritten teachings of Joseph Smith and he (and apparently Heber C. Kimball) used this knowledge to form assumptions about Adam and also about those Saints who achieve exaltation. This mixture of ideology became an unofficial ‘One Eternal Round’ view of existence. President Young made errors in formulating his ideology because he was evidently not aware of how the Adam-related material restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith functioned in an ancient world setting. Some of Brigham Young’s assumptions about Adam are not compatible with canonized scripture and so those particular teachings are not binding upon any Latter-day Saint.

https://www.fairmormon.org/wp-content/u ... n_Adam.pdf
You offer the words of Matthew B. Brown without quotes or attribution as your proof of contradiction, lifted right out of the document you reference. But no explanation of the contradictions.

Again, you make an unsubstantiated claim.
Prove that Brigham made "assumptions about Adam and also about those Saints who achieve exaltation" .
If you want others to take your position serious, show that your claims can be taken serious.
substantiate them, give proof of what you say.
without proof, your claims are hollow toadstool stories.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 19th, 2017, 10:16 pm
LoveIsTruth wrote: September 19th, 2017, 9:58 pm
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 19th, 2017, 9:51 pm DoctrineOfPriesthoodPage26.jpg
Well, it does add credence to that Brigham might have meant it. It does not make it true though.
So are you saying that Brigham teaches false doctrine?
Yes.

It is not only Moses he accused of falsifying things (like a mother does), but many others as well.
What he said about Adam being a resurrected being in the Garden contradicts the following:

God:

"And unto Adam, I, the Lord God, said: Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the fruit of the tree of which I commanded thee, saying—Thou shalt not eat of it, cursed shall be the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.
Thorns also, and thistles shall it bring forth to thee, and thou shalt eat the herb of the field.
By the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, until thou shalt return unto the groundfor thou shalt surely die—for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou wast, and unto dust shalt thou return." ( Moses 4:23-25 )

"Thou shall surely die ... unto dust shall thou return" (Endowment).

"But, behold, I say unto you that I, the Lord God, gave unto Adam and unto his seed, that they should not die as to the temporal death, until I, the Lord God, should send forth angels to declare unto them repentance and redemption, through faith on the name of mine Only Begotten Son." ( D&C 29:42 )

Note: Not only God here says that Adam should die, He also says that He is the God to Adam, and that through His Only Begotten Son, Adam is to be redeemed. Therefore Adam cannot possibly be the Most High, because the Only Begotten is the Son of the God above Adam that is speaking to Adam in this verse. You have to be crazy to deny this fact.

Joseph:

"From Adam to Seth, who was ordained by Adam at the age of sixty-nine years, and was blessed by him three years previous to his (Adam's) death," ( D&C 107:42 )

"Three years previous to the death of Adam, he called Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, and Methuselah, who were all high priests, with the residue of his posterity who were righteous, into the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and there bestowed upon them his last blessing." ( D&C 107:53 )

Alma:

"And now behold, I say unto you that if it had been possible for Adam to have partaken of the fruit of the tree of life at that time, there would have been no death, and the word would have been void, making God a liar, for he said: If thou eat thou shalt surely die." ( Alma 12:23 )

Abraham:

"But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the time that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die." ( Abr. 5:13 )

Moses:

"And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died." ( Moses 6:12 )

Paul:

"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." ( 1 Cor. 15:22 )

You have 6 different witnesses, including Abraham who lived BEFORE Moses, and God himself telling you that Adam died, and therefore cannot possibly be either a resurrected being in the Garden, nor the Most High, nor the direct Father of Jesus, nor the Father of the spirits of all men on earth.

You have to make not just Moses, but the entire Holy Writ a fairy tale, deny the Endowment which clearly shows that Adam is not the Most High, and that Jehovah is NOT Michael as Brigham erroneously said, and to suspend reason, to believe that Christ, he who never transgressed is less than Adam who did transgress.

The whole thing is quite abominable, and if Brigham believed it, he was dead wrong.

But here is the key to the whole matter that you must learn:

This is not the kingdom of Brigham, it is NOT the kingdom of Joseph, it is not even the kingdom of Adam. It is the kingdom of Christ, it is the kingdom of God.

Brigham failed to canonized this garbage. That is the beauty of the the system that God set up, that even if the Prophet goes wrong, as Brigham did, he has no power to lead the Church astray (except of course a few, like yourself, who deny living prophets in favor of the opinions of the dead ones; because Spencer W. Kimball clearly told you that Adam being the Most High is a FALSE doctrine, but you did not believe him). And the Lord Himself anticipated that a Prophet can go wrong: (See D&C 107:82,83). Fortunately for Brigham he did not go too far before he died.

But all this is a test for all of us:

For you it is a test to see if you will believe God over opinions of a prophet, (or even believe Joseph who said a Prophet CAN error in his opinions).

For me, it is to see if I will be merciful to the errors of Brigham, or even Joseph, as I hope that God would be merciful to me. And I tell you: I know that Brigham and Joseph, and many others, did the best they knew how, and were good men, and the keys of the kingdom remained with them. And I forgive them.

But as God lives, this garbage about Adam being greater than Jesus, is falsehood. And abominable falsehood at that. And a Prophet of God, Spencer W. Kimball told you this much, if the word of God Himself and Reason were not enough for you.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 20th, 2017, 5:30 pm
freedomforall wrote: September 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Those who know the Adam-God doctrine is false already know how serious I am. Thanks for your concern, however.
In fact, I was so serious that I engaged in conversation knowing it was going to be a real challenge. I was correct. And you have no concept of just how serious I am. So your egotistical directives are mush. I know you're trying to be macho by making demands as though you were my mommy, but don't bother, I'll let you know when and if I want to back something up.

Do you have a superiority complex?
Ad Hominem again? "Do you have a superiority complex?"

I very much believe that Joseph and Brigham are my superiors which is why I believe their words over yours.
In fact, I believe Joseph and Brigham to be the superiors to anyone who lived while they did or anyone since.
John Taylor told us that Joseph smith has done more for the salvation of man than any other save Jesus Christ.
And that statement is cannon.
That makes him superior to anyone who came to this earth as mortal except Jesus.

So, I will take their words over any other except Jesus, including ancient prophets, cannon or not.
and that includes Matthew B. Brown.

His opinions are inferior to the words of Joseph and Brigham. Matthew B. Brown words are from Matthew B. Brown.
Joseph's and Brigham's words, as prophets of God, are from God. And God's opinions trump Matthew B. Brown's all eternity.

Joseph and Brigham taught what they taught at gatherings and conferences where they were they were acting in their official
capacity as head of the church, the key holder when they taught these things. One would be wise to give their words heed.

So Matthew B. Brown claims are as hollow toadstool stories. And as such, your claim is still a hollow toadstool story.
Beside that, you have not identified what Brigham contradicted.
Keep trying all you will, but I and others have proven time and again how crazy this doctrine is. Nothing, I mean nothing presented other than the truth from canon can or will ever change it. You deny everything we have brought forth and will not consider us as having a brain. Your pompous attitude says volumes.
You will one day realize how off track your doctrine is. Remember that nothing said to thwart or wrest the spoken word in cannon will ever, magically, change this crazy doctrine into something that every member of the church can or should embrace. TBM's know better. So keep doing your best, and we'll just ignore it as you do the scriptures proving the craziness of this theory.
freedomforall wrote: Brigham Young was the legitimate successor of the Prophet Joseph Smith but he was not a perfect or infallible man. President Young learned some things about Adam from the written and unwritten teachings of Joseph Smith and he (and apparently Heber C. Kimball) used this knowledge to form assumptions about Adam and also about those Saints who achieve exaltation. This mixture of ideology became an unofficial ‘One Eternal Round’ view of existence. President Young made errors in formulating his ideology because he was evidently not aware of how the Adam-related material restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith functioned in an ancient world setting. Some of Brigham Young’s assumptions about Adam are not compatible with canonized scripture and so those particular teachings are not binding upon any Latter-day Saint.
I'm positive that brother Brown is a whole lot smarter, a lot more perceptive and a whole lot more savvy in his studies and research than what is presented here before us, post upon post upon post, page after page, after page of the samo, samo, samo rhetoric charged with false notions. Even a large block of salt should know when it is licked.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 20th, 2017, 5:42 pm
freedomforall wrote: September 20th, 2017, 4:43 pm
Brigham Young was the legitimate successor of the Prophet Joseph Smith but he was not a perfect or infallible man. President Young learned some things about Adam from the written and unwritten teachings of Joseph Smith and he (and apparently Heber C. Kimball) used this knowledge to form assumptions about Adam and also about those Saints who achieve exaltation. This mixture of ideology became an unofficial ‘One Eternal Round’ view of existence. President Young made errors in formulating his ideology because he was evidently not aware of how the Adam-related material restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith functioned in an ancient world setting. Some of Brigham Young’s assumptions about Adam are not compatible with canonized scripture and so those particular teachings are not binding upon any Latter-day Saint.

https://www.fairmormon.org/wp-content/u ... n_Adam.pdf
You offer the words of Matthew B. Brown without quotes or attribution as your proof of contradiction, lifted right out of the document you reference. But no explanation of the contradictions.

Again, you make an unsubstantiated claim.
Prove that Brigham made "assumptions about Adam and also about those Saints who achieve exaltation" .
If you want others to take your position serious, show that your claims can be taken serious.
substantiate them, give proof of what you say.
without proof, your claims are hollow toadstool stories.
You should be able to recognize toadstool stories very well, since that is all we've been receiving for many days now. Where is the substantiation? Where is the proof of what you say? We haven't seen any proof. All we get is regurgitated words from two guys that had no idea of what Joseph was really trying to convey, so they made up some doctrine and passed it along as official doctrine. Toadstool stories, indeed.

I asked you to read the page you posted to see for yourself what is contradictory and you declined. Says a lot about how things are learned, right? Don't expect me to fix the problem, it ain't mine.

Bait me all you want, call me names if that yanks your chain, it will not work. BTW, that page has contradictory writings on it. Can you find an elephant in the bed of a small pickup truck? If one opens their eyes they generally can.
Last edited by freedomforall on September 20th, 2017, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

roycelerwick wrote: September 20th, 2017, 5:28 pm“To paraphrase Abinadi: ‘Salvation doth not come by the Church alone; and were it not for the atonement, given by the grace of God as a free gift, all men must unavoidably perish, and this notwithstanding the Church and all that appertains to it’” (Doctrines of the Restoration: Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, ed. Mark L. McConkie [1989], 76).

Sorry, but what is the condensed version to all this?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

LoveIsTruth wrote: September 20th, 2017, 10:09 pmBut as God lives, this garbage about Adam being greater than Jesus, is falsehood. And abominable falsehood at that. And a Prophet of God, Spencer W. Kimball told you this much, if the word of God Himself and Reason were not enough for you.
As for all things said by you...well said.

The Adam-God theory is riddled with contradictions and falsehoods. No Latter-day Saint is obligated to believe it. Further, I don't think President Kimball was a dummy.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

It is only fitting to allow President Brigham Young to have the last word.

He has placed the burden squarely upon the shoulders of the Saints when it comes to accepting only those teachings which are cemented in veracity. He said,

“How can you know whether [the members of the First Presidency] lead you correctly or not? Can you know by any other power than that of the Holy Ghost? I have uniformly exhorted the people to obtain this living witness, each for themselves, then no man on earth can lead them astray.”
“I say to you, live so that you will know for yourselves whether I tell the truth or not. That is the way we want all Saints to live. Will you do it? Yes, I hope you will--every one of you.”

http://www.ldslearning.org/2009_fair_co ... n_adam.pdf

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

freedomforall wrote: September 20th, 2017, 11:39 pm It is only fitting to allow President Brigham Young to have the last word.

He has placed the burden squarely upon the shoulders of the Saints when it comes to accepting only those teachings which are cemented in veracity. He said,

“How can you know whether [the members of the First Presidency] lead you correctly or not? Can you know by any other power than that of the Holy Ghost? I have uniformly exhorted the people to obtain this living witness, each for themselves, then no man on earth can lead them astray.”
“I say to you, live so that you will know for yourselves whether I tell the truth or not. That is the way we want all Saints to live. Will you do it? Yes, I hope you will--every one of you.”

Ooo, that's a good one!

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

freedomforall wrote: September 20th, 2017, 11:39 pm It is only fitting to allow President Brigham Young to have the last word.

Well, we agree on something, I've hinted at that in the past.
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 19th, 2017, 10:51 pm I have said this before and I'll say it again, DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR ANYTHING, FIND OUT FOR YOURSELVES.
Do you think that everyone that asks the same question gets the same answer.
I doubt it. I expect that the answer is tailored to the person asking the question.
So I study and ponder and pray and get one answer but according to you, you
get a different answer. So is my answer wrong and yours right, or is mine right
and yours wrong . It is possible that we both got an answer that is right for each
of us.
It was no longer in the Israelites best interests for Moses to teach the Law of the
Gospel even though it is eternal law. The law of Moses was right for them but it
was not right after Jesus came and it is not right today. Just as the Israelites
rejected the Law of the Gospel they also rejected knowledge of the true nature
of God so both were removed from the Bible and replaced with something that
brought less condemnation, the Law of Moses and The Creation/Garden "story"
Just as Brigham tells us here:
SearchPonderPray-p4.jpg
SearchPonderPray-p4.jpg (181.44 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
It is observable that some cling to the Garden "story" as told in the cannon of
scripture with the effects of that story cascaded throughout the scriptures.
Just as The Law of Moses affected all the Israelites did, the Garden "story"
affects are found throughout the scriptures, even modern scriptures.
But the time came when the Law of Moses was fulfilled and the Law of the
Gospel was restored. However, many still cling to the Law of Moses even today.
And the time also came when Garden "story" had fulfilled it's purpose and for
the true nature of God to be restored. And like the Law of Moses, most still
cling to the Garden "story" rejecting the true nature of God.

It is the churches position that Adam & Eve were immortal when they came
to the garden. And that by eating the Fruit, they developed blood and
became mortal such that their offspring were mortal. But they stop there.
And most who cling to the Garden "story" don't know this part. But those
that are not satisfied with the Garden Story know that there is only one
way to acquire an immortal body.

So, it is actually possible to believe either the Garden "story" or what
Joseph and Brigham taught on the true nature of God without being
wrong. And it is possible for us to get different answers from the spirit
and both be from the correct spirit and not be wrong.

I have never said that the Garden "story" was false doctrine and I have never
condemned anyone for believing it. And I hope you can now see that calling
the teachings of Joseph and Brigham false doctrne is not deserved, just not
the answer for everyone. And that condemning anyone for believing what was
taught is harsh and not your call. After all, none of the Temple worthiness
questions have anything to do with either the Garden "story" or Adam is God.

Since you give credibility to your quote of Brigham, at least don't call my quote
of him false doctrine.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

freedomforall,

You've stated your opinion of the "Adam-God doctrine" enough already. How about now you just stop? You're not engaging in the topic in any meaningful way. Btw, have you read the book "Understanding Adam-God Teachings"? How about you read that first before commenting on the subject again.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

BrianM wrote: September 21st, 2017, 10:40 am freedomforall,

You've stated your opinion of the "Adam-God doctrine" enough already. How about now you just stop? You're not engaging in the topic in any meaningful way. Btw, have you read the book "Understanding Adam-God Teachings"? How about you read that first before commenting on the subject again.
Hey Brian, so what is your take on this?

I always thought people were taking Brigham out of context, until Hidingbehind showed me pages of quotes, and now it looks like Brigham meant this false doctrine after all. (I forgive Brigham, of course, but it is good to know our history).

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I find it to be interesting. And it's not just Brigham Young who taught it. Whether it's true or not, it's only one step (or one generation) different from what the mainstream LDS seems to believe..

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

BrianM wrote: September 21st, 2017, 5:39 pm I find it to be interesting. And it's not just Brigham Young who taught it. Whether it's true or not, it's only one step (or one generation) different from what the mainstream LDS seems to believe..
The eternal progression thing is true enough. They just got the order wrong. Plus they don't understand the direct link between intelligence and obedience in the long run. How can one in a right mind claim that Jesus who never transgressed anything is less than Adam who did transgress?

HappyCamper8
captain of 50

Post by HappyCamper8 »

LoveIsTruth wrote: September 21st, 2017, 5:49 pm
BrianM wrote: September 21st, 2017, 5:39 pm I find it to be interesting. And it's not just Brigham Young who taught it. Whether it's true or not, it's only one step (or one generation) different from what the mainstream LDS seems to believe..
The eternal progression thing is true enough. They just got the order wrong. Plus they don't understand the direct link between intelligence and obedience in the long run. How can one in a right mind claim that Jesus who never transgressed anything is less than Adam who did transgress?
It's interesting because the first time I ever heard about Adam God stuff, I think I instantly dismissed it all. My first reaction was that Brigham was pretty weird.

For many years I had some questions about something I have always been taught and began thinking what I was taught from when I was little was actually wrong. I kept dismissing it because it wasn't what I was taught. Then one day, I decided to look up information about it. What did I find? Previous authorities had taught the opposite of what I had learned! (This isn't Adam/God stuff btw, but is related to eternal progression which seems to tie into that doctrine of eternal lives).

That has now opened a crack in my beliefs where I don't instantly dismiss stuff like this.

You ask some good questions about it and I'm not sure about all of it yet either, but I'm going to keep an open mind of the possibility for now. I hate trying to instantly tell hidingbehind to shut up because whether I like it or not, it was taught and I have questions. I keep thinking most likely hidingbehind has thought through some of the questions I have and might be able to explain the apparent inconsistencies.

Now, whether I believe those explanations right away is another question, but I want to remain open. Who knows if down the road more pieces begin to fall in place and it will all make sense to me later and the inconsistencies might seem to disappear.

I liked the open questions you had where it seemed you were legitimately trying to understand. Thanks.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

roycelerwick wrote: September 20th, 2017, 5:28 pm What a lot of work you've done on this topic! I can't be critical because that would be hypocritical. But I must observe that I find it funny that you could write for so long and go into so much depth rationalizing this theory of yours, even confessing that it pretty much smacks the face of both the overt message of canon and generations of interpretations of it, yet apparently miss all the primary elements of the Adam and Eve parable:

1 It's allegorical, not literal. The fruit, the serpent, the garden, are not necessarily literal. Fruit=Sex? Snake--maybe not a real snake, maybe equals just some evil presence, or concept of spiritual/mental temptation? Don't know. Not really meant to know. Had the author wanted us to know, he would have been doing all the writing and thread-tying-up you did to point out that there was some other meaning in the Garden tale than the obvious ones the LDS interpretations have traditionally come up with.

2 Was the whole point about rebellion? Or was it really about mankind taking upon itself the burden of Free Agency, of actually exercising a choice--specifically one in defiance of God, one that would prove the concept of Agency itself? In your thesis, not defying God proves the Agency of Man just as much as disobedience to God. Talk about fallacious logic. Man only has Agency THEORETICALLY, as a concept, until he exercises it in a way particularly of his own will--IE Free Will is only Free Will if it's free to disobey God, and until that happens once, Free Will is only a concept, not a reality.

Otherwise, what you've done here is fall back into a Calvinist/Papist, well, "orthodox" Christian interpretation of our First Father and Mother being inexcusable sinners, because it somehow annoys you not to be able to say that any and all disobedience is inexcusable, because somehow that would cheapen your personal perspective of "sin" and Free Agency or something.

3 There's nothing confusing about the two commandments in question, one to reproduce, and the other not to eat of the mystical, metaphorical fruit of knowledge. It's the latter that is unique if anything, not the former.

What knowledge is gained by not eating the fruit? Nothing. It's the knowledge that nothing has changed and nothing is going to change forever. Man in this state of "enlightenment," (non-"enlightenment that is) only has a theoretical power to manipulate his environment and change the world around him, to act, and be acted upon. Even the changes he effects in this state are just the will of God being executed by a compliant servant who has no choice. Unless Man eats of the fruit--disobeys God, the fruit of disobedience we might say--he exists only as an aspect of the willful expression of God, not as a co-eternal intelligence and unique personage. (One of the first heresy's Joseph Smith pointed out "orthodox" Christianity had perpetrated upon the Church.)

Every father comes to the point where he says, OK, you're a big boy now, it's up to you, but I'm telling you not to go off into the big city, don't play with dynamite, don't speed and don't stay out late. Those are my rules or you're going to get killed. No father says, hey, it'll work out great, take my hot rod, have some liquor and a few guns, go climb some loose rock faces, get in some cliff diving, find a good brothel, maybe join the army, go off to war and you'll be fine. Fathers are protective. So, Heavenly Father gave Adam and Eve a very specific commandment with a very specific sanction against disobedience: It's your choice, but you'll pay for it. Not: you'll burn in hell, but you'll bring yourself and your world down to a mortal level. If that happens, I can't help you any more. You're dead to me.

God cannot create a mortal world and mortal children and be happy with that. God is not about consorting with imperfection. He can't even hang around that. You do that thing I warned you about kids, and you're outa' here. My house, my rules. But you decide how it's gonna be.

Mankind had to chose mortality. That was the start of Agency. That was the birth of "knowledge," but more importantly, that was the only path to true wisdom and enlightenment. To suggest hanging around with God for eternity in the garden would have been just as good, is essentially Satan's plan. There was and never could be any other plan of salvation than the plan of salvation. Mankind needed to make real choices with real consequences in a real environment they had dominion over, to suffer, bleed and die for their own actions and ideas. That is the only way to understand the bitter and the sweet. That is "learning." Not an eternal garden party with Dad. We had that already in pre-mortal life.

But let me put it this way: We know there was a council in Heaven as we call it. We know there were plans submitted. The one chosen, the one Elohim accepted from Jaweh, Jehovah, we now call the "Plan of Salvation" and have based a religion upon it. We know Lucifer's plan was rejected. We are unaware of any other options offered, like Adam and Eve remaining sinless for eternity in the Garden of Eden. In case you're still missing it: Jesus Christ was scheduled to come redeem us from the inevitable fall of Adam and Eve long before there was a Garden of Eden for them to be driven out of. If you argue with me on this point you are by definition a heretic. Or at least not LDS.

4 By way of exploring or perhaps more so, countering your logic, (and in this case I actually think it has merit) what if the lesson of Abraham offering up Isaac as a sacrifice, is really supposed to be that Abraham made the wrong choice. What if the thing he should have done is told the Lord to stuff it up his divine nose, proclaim that human sacrifice was evil, and no true God would ever demand that of a faithful servant. Because, if that's not the case, then you're arguing that God is arbitrary, and whatever God says is just and true, even if it defies every other edict ordered by, and conception you know of the Supreme Being. You can't get any more Ex Nihilo/NeoPlatanist than that. Not LDS thinking at all.

If God told you to kill one of your children, would you just bow down and do it? Or would you question the source of this "God" you're taking these suddenly bizarre orders from? Would you, as Abraham did, escape the degenerate culture of heathen barbarians, only to blindly concede to participate in the same inhuman slaughter of the innocent, and not wonder what the point of continuing to follow this allegedly morally superior "One God" is then?

The question you do not even comprehend, that you've never thought to ask yourself even, is whether or not there is indeed a universal code of just, true, eternal principles that exist independent of, and superior to God, laws God himself cannot even break or he would cease to be God, or if the lesson you're supposed to be learning in life is to mindlessly conform, to follow a strict obedience to God's command even when it seems to be overtly contradicting that which you know to be eternal law? Or, is doing God's alleged will, even if it strikes you as blatantly evil, the ultimate test of "faith," thus forgiving you for abandoning any higher principles it ostensibly violates?

If so, then you are a prime target to be a puppet of Satan. And that is the real paradox of LDS theology.

5 Specifically: Is "faith," and "obedience," indeed the fundamental, primary lesson of mortal existence? Or is mortality literally a training for godhood, and laboratory for making independent, godlike judgments based upon a personal understanding and commitment to eternal principles--principles you have so incorporated yourself with and invested into, that you would cease to be you if you violated them?

I submit that contending Adam and Eve could have fulfilled the plan of salvation without ever disobeying God in any way, is doctrinally ludicrous relative to 4 standard works of canon and thousands upon thousands of pages of correlated, authorized, official LDS teaching materials stretching back for well over a century and a half. Well over. Under that scheme, there is no need for a plan of salvation laid out from the beginning of the Creation. No plan of salvation by definition exists, nor can one exist, if it includes Adam and Eve not falling.

You seem to have missed that.

You're essentially saying Adam and Eve would have been saved by their works--or at least lack of bad works. (Since by conventional standards, they were already "saved.") But then again, LDS theology has quite a different notion of salvation, and the ultimate reward of the Celestial Kingdom is not usually conceived as running around naked in the woods playing with the animals for eternity. And frankly, I can't follow how you've hypothesized some alternative reproduction of billions of offspring that don't age or die and never suffer or disobey.

Adam and Eve fell, they disobeyed, they were penalized. So what? That's the point of mortality is it not? And would not any one of their hypothetically perfect, sinless Garden of Eden offspring eventually have made the same choice, gobble some fruit, and set the plan in motion anyway? If it bothers you that much to suggest that our First Parents "got away" with being naughty somehow with a wink and a nod from their Creator...don't think about it.

What's really warping your mind is having to concede intellectually that absolute obedience to every whim of the Almighty might not be what it's all about all the time. That's a very Wesleyan perspective. Not terribly LDS. I take that back, but we have Emma Smith to blame for that.

Think about this: by definition sin is disobedience to God's will. But is that really precise enough? God forbade the fruit, but was it really against his will? If he can test Abraham with an unrighteous commandment--in other words, he ordered Abraham to do something blatantly unrighteous that he never intended Abraham to do--why is the Almighty in your mind then limited to not giving ostensibly contradictory commandments, and having mankind choose the greater of the two in the conflict as a similar test of mental and spiritual character? As Abraham chose obedience in his case, as opposed to refusing to perform what he surely knew to be an evil practice, Eve, and then Adam, chose to accept the given penalty for breaking a lesser commandment, in order to fulfill the entire purpose of mankind's existence.

Not a bad choice, however you want to characterize it. But it was a CHOICE . It was THEIR choice. And for generations LDS scholars, prophets, and authorized CES instructors have been saying it was the RIGHT choice. Live with it. Wrap your head around it. Embrace it. It's not going anywhere.

I know many of you are freaking out at the notion of "situational ethics" figuring into LDS theology, but there you have it. Did our Father not, as clearly canon says, defer his will to Adam and Eve on the issue of mankind's own enlightenment and progression? Why is this a difficult concept?

So, argue what you will about paradoxical commandments or the significance thereof. Jesus is not Christ, or even born in "Sinless Garden" scenario. There is no "mid time" for the Savior in which to come and fulfill his mission if time stands still in the garden. There is no end time, only a start time. No resurrection, no salvation, nothing to be saved or redeemed. The most fundamental, central message of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is utterly nullified in that program.

Did you overlook this somehow, in all your reading?
In Mosiah 13:27–28, Abinadi corrected a false idea expressed by King Noah’s priests (see Mosiah 12:31–32). He taught that obedience to the law of Moses alone could not bring them salvation. They all had need of the Savior to atone (pay the price) for their sins or “they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.”

Elder Bruce R. McConkie, who was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, applied that same lesson to our day:

“Now let us suppose a modern case. Suppose we have the scriptures, the gospel, the priesthood, the Church, the ordinances, the organization, even the keys of the kingdom—everything that now is, down to the last jot and tittle—and yet there is no atonement of Christ. What then? Can we be saved? Will all our good works save us? Will we be rewarded for all our righteousness?

“Most assuredly we will not. We are not saved by works alone, no matter how good; we are saved because God sent his Son to shed his blood in Gethsemane and on Calvary that all through him might ransomed be. We are saved by the blood of Christ (Acts 20:28; 1 Cor. 6:20).

“To paraphrase Abinadi: ‘Salvation doth not come by the Church alone; and were it not for the atonement, given by the grace of God as a free gift, all men must unavoidably perish, and this notwithstanding the Church and all that appertains to it’” (Doctrines of the Restoration: Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, ed. Mark L. McConkie [1989], 76).
I simply wish to thank roycelerwick for bringing the topic back to the OP which is the most egregious distortion in this thread. It is one thing to consider the words of prophets such as Brigham Young which are at least the substance of those in position to comment on doctrine versus letting stand something which has no ties to scripture or prophetic utterance in the least such as that found in the OP.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

LoveIsTruth wrote: September 21st, 2017, 5:17 pm
BrianM wrote: September 21st, 2017, 10:40 am freedomforall,

Hey Brian, so what is your take on this?

I always thought people were taking Brigham out of context, until Hidingbehind showed me pages of quotes, and now it looks like Brigham meant this false doctrine after all. (I forgive Brigham, of course, but it is good to know our history).
So what you are really saying is you have heaped page after page of abuse on a subject you know nothing about? Then in this comment above, still knowing nothing about the material that forms the Adam / God doctrine, you jump to your conclusion, independent of any research, prayer or pondering that Brigham taught false doctrine. Hmmm. Gives one cause to pause....

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

brlenox wrote: September 21st, 2017, 7:04 pm
LoveIsTruth wrote: September 21st, 2017, 5:17 pm Hey Brian, so what is your take on this?

So what you are really saying is you have heaped page after page of abuse on a subject you know nothing about?
Not true.

I commented on points Hidingbehind made. I did not know that Brigham actually believed this delirium! But it does not change my response either to Hidingbehind nor to Brigham. If Brigham believed it, he was wrong. I'd say it to his face. But I still believe Brigham was a good man and a prophet of God, he just was wrong in some of his opinions.
brlenox wrote: September 21st, 2017, 7:04 pm Then in this comment above, still knowing nothing about the material that forms the Adam / God doctrine, you jump to your conclusion, independent of any research, prayer or pondering that Brigham taught false doctrine.
On the contrary, I did a lot of research in front of your eyes, and proven by scriptures and reason that the doctrine is false. And yes, I know the key points of this false doctrine, main ones being a) Adam is the Most High, and b) Adam is greater than Jesus.

Both are false.

And to be honest, quite abominable, because this false doctrine destroys/contradicts the scriptures in their entirety rendering them but "fairy tales" and "old wives stories." Most importantly it makes a mockery of the principle of obedience to the commandments of God, asserting that Adam who yielded to temptation and "became subject to the will of the devil" (D&C 29:40) was greater than Jesus who never yielded to any temptation and conquered the devil and saved Adam. This doctrine is the exact reverse of the truth, and is an insult to anyone who understands the principle of eternal progression.

That's why I hate this false doctrine so much.

And yes, I prayed about it, and know that only a lying spirit would ever assert (a) or (b), because they are lies (or errors at best).

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

brlenox wrote: September 21st, 2017, 6:59 pm I simply wish to thank roycelerwick for bringing the topic back to the OP which is the most egregious distortion in this thread. It is one thing to consider the words of prophets such as Brigham Young which are at least the substance of those in position to comment on doctrine versus letting stand something which has no ties to scripture or prophetic utterance in the least such as that found in the OP.
Did you miss my detailed response to your questions at
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43305&start=480#p808357 ?

I gave a thorough rebuttal to your every point, supported by numerous scriptures, which you were unable to overcome. And yet you call my view "egregious distortion .. which has no ties to scripture"?

That's truly odd, friend.

The facts are not on your side. If you give a rational reason for your opinion, we could have a reasonable conversation, otherwise you just accuse my position without any evidence to support you. That is not right.

Cheers.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

LoveIsTruth wrote: September 23rd, 2017, 8:56 pm
brlenox wrote: September 21st, 2017, 6:59 pm I simply wish to thank roycelerwick for bringing the topic back to the OP which is the most egregious distortion in this thread. It is one thing to consider the words of prophets such as Brigham Young which are at least the substance of those in position to comment on doctrine versus letting stand something which has no ties to scripture or prophetic utterance in the least such as that found in the OP.
Did you miss my detailed response to your questions at
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43305&start=480#p808357 ?

I gave a thorough rebuttal to your every point, supported by numerous scriptures, which you were unable to overcome. And yet you call my view "egregious distortion .. which has no ties to scripture"?

That's truly odd, friend.

The facts are not on your side. If you give a rational reason for your opinion, we could have a reasonable conversation, otherwise you just accuse my position without any evidence to support you. That is not right.

Cheers.
It is not often that I won't engage and do a full rebuttal. There is no difficulty in overcoming your arguments, however, it has become clear, especially with how you treated the Adam / God subject having absolutely no familiarity with the doctrine, that you make self affirming judgments and then can't be swayed from your opinions. It wasn't until BrianM made a comment that you even asked a civil question instead of outright condemnation about something you knew nothing about. So that is one level of evaluation. However, the final clincher is that you esteemed yourself more capable than Brigham Young to recognize truth and you called him a liar. I need engage non such to illustrate the error of their mistaken doctrines - your character billows in shades of darkness and hues of black. You were wrong before you even got off the ground.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Once again, no reasons, no facts, no evidence, just accusations. You lost the debate my friend.

P.S. I did not accuse Brigham Young of anything, except to say that IF he believed this error he was wrong.

And yes I am capable to discern truth for my self. And it is my God-given responsibility, from which neither Brigham, nor Joseph, no anyone else has the right to release me from.

And when a prophet is wrong (as Joseph said he could be), I must realize that. Joseph and Brigham and God said it was our duty to do so. (D&C 107:82) And I believe them.

And more importantly I believe God and Reason above all. And it is my duty to do so. And it is also your duty, from which you seem to choose to shrink.

He who has ears to hear let him hear.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Updated the OP with the following:

Short article:
Jesus was born with the same veil over his mind that Adam and Eve had in the garden. But Jesus got his eyes opened to know good from evil by resisting temptations, instead of yielding to them.

This shows that when the devil said “there was no other way,” in the garden, he lied.

Adam and Eve could have had their eyes opened to know good and evil in the garden of Eden without the fall, had they chosen to believe and obey the Father, rather than the devil.

For it is the exposure to temptation, and not fruits and trees, that open eyes to know good and evil. And Adam chose the lesser part, by disobeying the Father and yielding to the temptation of Lucifer.

All Adam had to do to have his eyes opened in the garden, was to resist the temptation of the devil, as the Father commanded him.

If Adam had done as the Father had commanded him, and resisted the temptation, he could have had his eyes opened in the garden without transgression, and could have had posterity without the fall, precisely as the Father commanded him from the beginning, in which case the conditions on the earth would have been very similar to those which will prevail in the Millennium.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Added 2 more passages to the OP:
In fact, Adam fell because he was loyal to the woman more than to God. There is a lesson here as well, of what not to do.

I say it again, (and it is “politically incorrect” in this church, but nevertheless absolutely true): Adam fell because he loved his wife more than he loved God. Of course, It is not as bad as people loving “Satan more than God” (Moses 5:13), but in final analysis: anything that you love above God will turn to be a cursing to you, and not a blessing.

This especially applies to those in the church who love dead prophets and their errors more than God. There are some like that, who pitch Brigham Young and the lunacy attributed to him against the scriptures.
In fact, Adam saying “I will partake that men may be” was repeating a Satan’s lie, because men could be, and much better too, without the fall, precisely as God commanded Adam in the first place.

Also, Eve saying “It is better for us to pass through sorrow that we may know good from evil” was repeating a shadow of Satan’s lie. Because, the Father and Christ being the perfect example of the fact, that you do not have to fall to pass through sorrow, and a lot of it.

Again, Adam and Eve could have had their eyes opened, and gotten all the sorrow necessary for exaltation by resisting temptations, and not by yielding to them, as Christ perfectly demonstrated. Yes, by sufficiently resisting the temptation of the devil to partake of the forbidden fruit, they would have had their eyes opened without transgression, just like Jesus' eyes were opened by resisting temptations instead of yielding to them.

So on both counts Satan lied to them, and they fell for it, just like a lot of people in this church still sadly do.

But it will change. Truth is no respecter of persons, and it always comes on top in the end. You'll see.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

I keep finding more and more proof points. Here is another one. I added it to the OP (enjoy:) :
Also notice:
In the endowment we learn that God said to Adam and Eve:
“Be fruitful and multiply, ... Dress this garden, and take good care of it, be happy and have joy therein.”

Now, think for a moment: If none of this was possible without the fall (neither multiplying, nor having joy, for Lehi said "having no joy") this would make God a cruel liar, which would cause him cease to be God!

No, really, think of this: This is what many in this church erroneously teach that God in essence said: "Here is this great and wonderful garden, be fruitful and multiply, be happy and have joy therein. But, by the way, if you do multiply, you will be kicked out of here, O, and you can have no joy unless you are kicked out!"

Do you see how utterly twisted, and self-contradictory, and outright wicked this would be?

Yet people ascribe this wickedness and self-contradiction to God himself! They make God a liar, and basically a sociopath, to fit their own self-contradictory notions!

The truth is that Adam and Eve absolutely were capable of both having their eyes opened, multiplying, and having joy IN the garden, (as God said "therein"), without any transgression or fall, precisely as God commanded them. All they had to do was to obey the Father and resist Satan's temptation sufficiently; for resisting temptation opens eyes just as well as yielding to it, but has no negative consequences, as demonstrated by Jesus, and is accompanied with blessings instead of cursings. For it is the exposure to temptation (that is to opposition) that opens eyes, and not fruits and trees. And Adam chose the lesser path of self-contradiction and disobedience, being deceived and seduced by Satan, which was the reason for his fall.

As I said, Adam fell because he loved his wife more than he loved God. Which resulted in a curse and death for himself, for the world, and for his posterity. A definite example of what not to do!

And yes, unless Adam was exposed to opposition (temptation) in the garden, he could not have joy nor posterity, (Lehi was right), but Adam did not have to yield to the temptation.

He should have resisted it, as the Father commanded him, which would have opened his eyes without transgression, and gave him posterity without the fall, exactly as the Father commanded him from the beginning.

So God did not contradict himself, but was perfectly consistent and fair. But it is those who say that Adam could not keep both of the commandments of God, that contradict themselves. Not God!

God cannot, in principle, give contradictory commandments, or he would cease to be God.

I repeat again (in slightly different words):
God said: “Be fruitful and multiply, ... Dress this garden, and take good care of it, be happy and have joy therein.” (Endowment)
If none of this was possible without the fall God would be a liar, for he commanded them to multiply and have joy IN the garden.

The quote was "therein."

So unless you throw away the endowment as well, you cannot say that Adam could not multiply and replenish the earth without the fall, for that directly contradicts the commandments God has given, and if true, would make God a cruel liar, (for how could Adam multiply and have joy in the garden, if supposedly the only way to achieve this, according to the devil, was to transgress and to be kicked out of the garden?) which would cause God to cease to be God.

So unless you make God a liar, you cannot suppose that Adam could not. The truth is he WOULD NOT, as in being deceived, and choosing Satan's advice instead of God's.