LDS/ Mormon Christian Groups/ Churches.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

LDS/ Mormon Christian Groups/ Churches.

Post by Elizabeth »

I am a long time member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a convert... being previously a Christened and Confirmed Anglican. I am knowledgeable of the teachings of the known Christian Churches, and have some knowledge of the FLDS, Church of Christ, Temple Lot, EskDale Community and United Brethren, but am curious as to any others and to their actual beliefs and teachings. I invite any members of these Churches or others to post their truthful knowledge of their beliefs and teachings.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS/ Mormon Christian Groups/ Churches.

Post by Elizabeth »

Church of JC of LDS,led by Roger Billings, follow the teachings of the late Ken Asay, who claimed to be the reincarnation of LDS Church founder Joseph Smith.
Believe the Great Temple is to be built on the Temple Lot.
Believe in multiple mortal lives and that many will return during the millennium and be taught the fullness of the gospel in a terrestrial state.
Perform Celestial marriages and endowments and teach that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young taught it was the will of God that men should have more than one wife.
Run a nonprofit graduate school in an underground limestone quarry in Independence, Mo.,
Members live the law of consecration in communities that share resources, such as a common kitchen, laundry facilities, etc.
Last edited by Elizabeth on August 8th, 2016, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I would suggest the book Divergent Paths of the Restoration by Steven Sheilds as perhaps the best title on this subject.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Roger Billings, referred to above, is a member of LDSFF posting as Sweiston.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Plural marriage was never a practice or belief of the Reorganised Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
From 1950 there have been many changes.
In 1984 the RLDS church approved women in the priesthood.
A few years later the RLDS church changed its name to Community of Christ.
There are a number of groups who remain RLDS and who do not accept those who practice homosexuality, nor do they ordain women priests.
Since 1984 there have been many break offs... known as Independent Restoration Branches... most accept the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and the Inspired Version of the Bible as Scripture, but the Pearl of Great Price is not considered a standard work.
The Seventy serve as the primary missionary arm.
Leadership is the main difference between the groups and whom each group considers as leader and/or prophet.
Members of the Community of Christ have generally rejected the term “Mormon”.
Community of Christ is none creedal, and does not mandate an official position on the Godhead.
LGBT people are fully accepted by the Community of Christ in the USA.
Baptism of polygamous people in Africa and India is allowed but a polygamous member who takes on another wife after joining the church would be excommunicated.
Tithing is practiced as 10% of the increase over self identified wants and needs, and donations to other organisations can be counted.
New members must be confirmed by a Community of Christ Melchizedek Priesthood holder, however previous baptisms, by a Christian minister, clergyperson, or pastor, of water as a personal expression of faith in Jesus Christ when they were 8 or older, are accepted.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

gkearney wrote:I would suggest the book Divergent Paths of the Restoration by Steven Sheilds as perhaps the best title on this subject.
That is a great book. If one is interested in an online resource, check http://ldsmovement.pbworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Elizabeth wrote:Roger Billings, referred to above, is a member of LDSFF posting as Sweiston.
How do you know lol

I made up an LDS offshoot for a book I wrote, originally going to be more well darker but turned out to be more... I guess cheery.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Truth is stranger than fiction... best to keep to the truth. :)

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Elizabeth wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction... best to keep to the truth. :)

Well I don't often do that because I don't want to piss anyone off lol
I wrote one short story about a God-like alien who came to earth and called itself the Imperial Emperor (or Empress, either is correct) and this one church, heavily based on Mormons, refused to let the alien into their Sacred Keep or whatever they called Temples, and it blew them all up.
Gotta stick to your guns but I'd hate to seem like I was attacking someone when it's just easier to make up my own.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

;)

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

That was a weird story, I did take some of the non alien stuff for another book, (I recycle story ideas), I did call them Sacred Keeps since in that fictional LDS branch off they made their temples look more like castles.
It was purely a design choice by one of their leaders and they kind of just copied it. The main character's mother was from them, the book will be complete or close to complete at the end of the year and I don't think there is anything really above PG in that particular story.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Sirocco wrote: August 13th, 2016, 11:33 am
Elizabeth wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction... best to keep to the truth. :)
Well I don't often do that because I don't want to piss anyone off lol
:D :lol: That is officially the best one-line post!

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I was reading the following account of a gentleman who has been attending and helping out in our church for a while but because of exclusive, self-rightous doctrine leaves church feeling as if he’s considered “less than”...
  • “We believe with all our hearts that our Latter-day Saint Christian brothers and sisters are as Christian as we are. We have suffered within our own families and circle of Christian friends for that belief. Yet . . . when in the ward we study the Kingdom of God (current and future) as described in Daniel, we are assured that only members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are in the Kingdom of God. We study that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the the only true and living church. All others, according to III Nephi 27 are the works of men or the works of the devil. Try that on for making non-members feel less than. We are assured that only baptism for the forgiveness of sins administered by a LDS priesthood holder is valid in the eyes of God. All other baptisms by all others in authority in all other churches are invalid. I know of no other Christian group that teaches that any more.”http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/712 ... mennonite/
How Christian is Mormonism? How close does Mormonism follow Christ’s teachings? Did Christ teach that one Christian sect was better - more authoritative- than another as we do? No.
  • And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
    For he that is not against us is on our part.
    For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.”
    -Mark 9:38-41
This reminds me of the difference between appearance and how one really is. Imagine if Christ united all Christian congregations - intermixed them so they could ALL learn to be more united. For one thing, I doubt there would be many snoozing! :D Superficially, we SAY we honor other beliefs and “let them worship how, where or what they may.” And there are abundant claims of superiority - as if we are somehow better than other Christians. But when you lift the log, you see the reality. Christians who follow Christ more, are more Christian - no matter what anyone says or what authority is claimed.