In whose image are we created?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
butterfly
captain of 1,000

In whose image are we created?

Post by butterfly »

If you were to see the image of God in which you were made, would the image look like "God" (however you believe God looks) or would it look more like you?

Genesis 1: 26-27
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones;

23 And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good;

So the Gods went down to organize man in their own image, in the image of the Gods to form they him, male and female to form they them.

And I, God, created man in mine own image, in the image of mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Re: In whose image are we created?

Post by DesertWonderer »

Sorry, I'm not quite following what your question is or what you are suggesting.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

DesertWonderer wrote:Sorry, I'm not quite following what your question is or what you are suggesting.
Thank you for letting me know that. I struggle with expressing myself clearly in English.

Maybe this will help-
What does it mean to you to be created in the image of God?

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

I had no idea English was not your primary language...To me, it simply means my body is just like His except it is of telestial materials.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

DesertWonderer wrote:I had no idea English was not your primary language...To me, it simply means my body is just like His except it is of telestial materials.
This is what I've always believed, too. But I was thinking about the verses I posted in the OP and I noticed that we're created in the image of the gods, as opposed to in the image of God. Like Abraham, before we received our physical bodies, we had progressed as much as we could have with just our spirits- we had become gods in spirit. So then when man was formed on the earth, he was formed in the image of ourselves, the gods.

For example, Adam was formed in the image of Michael. Jesus was formed in the image of Jehovah. We were each formed in the image of ourselves, the gods.

When the scriptures or Lectures on Faith describe God, His body is not described as being like ours. But God does say that man was created in the image of His only begotten; this makes sense to me because the Savior does have a body like ours.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I think image is more than a visual representation in this case.

I think image includes the ability to think, to reason, to obey and to disobey, to control passions and to potentially lose control of them, and so on. In other words the essence of what it is to exist as an independent being.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

butterfly wrote:
DesertWonderer wrote:I had no idea English was not your primary language...To me, it simply means my body is just like His except it is of telestial materials.
This is what I've always believed, too. But I was thinking about the verses I posted in the OP and I noticed that we're created in the image of the gods, as opposed to in the image of God. Like Abraham, before we received our physical bodies, we had progressed as much as we could have with just our spirits- we had become gods in spirit. So then when man was formed on the earth, he was formed in the image of ourselves, the gods.

For example, Adam was formed in the image of Michael. Jesus was formed in the image of Jehovah. We were each formed in the image of ourselves, the gods.

When the scriptures or Lectures on Faith describe God, His body is not described as being like ours. But God does say that man was created in the image of His only begotten; this makes sense to me because the Savior does have a body like ours.
Elliaison did a webinar last Mother's day that addressed this. It was about heavenly mother as one of the Gods that mankind is created after, but they pulled some interesting info from the Hebrew words for "image" and "likeness". I'll try to remember to post the link if see the replay for it.

Peace,
Amonhi

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Amonhi wrote:
butterfly wrote:

Elliaison did a webinar last Mother's day that addressed this. It was about heavenly mother as one of the Gods that mankind is created after, but they pulled some interesting info from the Hebrew words for "image" and "likeness". I'll try to remember to post the link if see the replay for it.

Peace,
Amonhi
I wanted to watch that webinar but the site wouldn't allow me. It won't let me view the replay, either. I guess they're still working out a few kinks? Or maybe I need something installed on my computer?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

I think it simply means that God and people look like the same species, male and female. God is male and female. We know very little about the female part, though.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

A Random Phrase wrote:I think it simply means that God and people look like the same species, male and female. God is male and female. We know very little about the female part, though.
But if God is male and female, are you saying that individuals are both male and female?