BYUtv Production about Joan of Arc

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
WickerWeaver
captain of 10

BYUtv Production about Joan of Arc

Post by WickerWeaver »

This past weekend, BYUtv premiered their latest docudrama production, this time about Joan of Arc.

http://www.byutv.org/watch/98102eb7-69d ... BihvGk_bcc

I really enjoyed getting to know much more about Joan of Arc through this production. I’m disappointed to say that I knew (or remembered) very, very little of her prior to this and it has only whetted my appetite to study a bit more about her. After watching this production though, I wondered, if Joan really was visited and instructed by heavenly angels as she claimed, why was it so important for God to instruct and direct her on a mission to lead an army to push back a vast English occupation of her homeland, relieve the city of Orleans [among others], and effectively pave the way for the coronation of King Charles VII ultimately turning around 100 Years War between England and France of the 1400’s?

Well…Here’s something to think about:

It can be said that citizens of the USA who value the rights and freedoms inherent with that citizenship are largely indebted to the nation of France. This is because the American Revolution may have had a very different outcome had it not been for the aid and assistance of France against the English in the 1700’s, and that’s if the revolution would have occurred at all.

Had it not been for Joan of Arc, the nation of France likely would not have existed itself as a sovereign nation centuries later to aid the American revolutionaries in their bid for independence. Instead, France would have likely been completely under English rule, making England all the more powerful an opponent for the American revolutionaries to overcome.

Now, taking it a step further, many Latter Day Saints believe most of the founding fathers of the USA were spiritual and god-fearing men raised up and inspired by God to establish a free nation where freedom of religion among other freedoms would be able to thrive. They believe this historic event was necessary to create a climate whereby Christ could bring about a restoration of the fullness of His gospel. So in this context, for Latter Day Saints, it makes much more sense why Joan of Arc could have truly been commissioned by Christ to do what she did for France. Indeed, like George Washington and others, I think it can be said that Joan of Arc had a critical role as a significant forerunner to Joseph Smith in helping Christ pave the way for the restoration of His church.

In short, before Christ would call upon Joseph Smith to be a prophet for the restoration of His church, it is now apparent to me that Christ called Joan of Arc to very much be a prophetess for the restoration of France to preserve that nation for their role in the American Revolution.

It is also interesting to note just how much there is in common with the histories of both Joan of Arc and Joseph Smith. Both were children of simple peasant farmers, both had little to no education [Joan was wholly illiterate], both claim to have received visitations of heavenly personages while they were teenagers, both claim to have received four years of instruction at the feet of divinely appointed angels with physical bodies before commencing their respective missions [Joan was tried as a heretic for claiming to be visited and instructed by physical personages from the heavenly realm not long after the upper Catholic Clergy had apparently come to a consensus that angels were non-corporeal spiritual beings], and both are supported by statements from peers who claim to have witnessed what they saw as miraculous events in their presence.

One could also draw a few parallels between the prophet-warrior namesake for the Book of Mormon and Joan.

Indeed, by small and simple things [and by young and simple people] does God bring great things to pass.

Needless to say, I no longer wonder why Joan of Arc would have been guided and directed by God, as she claimed, to do what she was able to do.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Re: BYUtv Production about Joan of Arc

Post by diligently seeking »

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
WickerWeaver wrote:This past weekend, BYUtv premiered their latest docudrama production, this time about Joan of Arc.

http://www.byutv.org/watch/98102eb7-69d ... BihvGk_bcc

I really enjoyed getting to know much more about Joan of Arc through this production. I’m disappointed to say that I knew (or remembered) very, very little of her prior to this and it has only whetted my appetite to study a bit more about her. After watching this production though, I wondered, if Joan really was visited and instructed by heavenly angels as she claimed, why was it so important for God to instruct and direct her on a mission to lead an army to push back a vast English occupation of her homeland, relieve the city of Orleans [among others], and effectively pave the way for the coronation of King Charles VII ultimately turning around 100 Years War between England and France of the 1400’s?

Well…Here’s something to think about:

It can be said that citizens of the USA who value the rights and freedoms inherent with that citizenship are largely indebted to the nation of France. This is because the American Revolution may have had a very different outcome had it not been for the aid and assistance of France against the English in the 1700’s, and that’s if the revolution would have occurred at all.

Had it not been for Joan of Arc, the nation of France likely would not have existed itself as a sovereign nation centuries later to aid the American revolutionaries in their bid for independence. Instead, France would have likely been completely under English rule, making England all the more powerful an opponent for the American revolutionaries to overcome.

Now, taking it a step further, many Latter Day Saints believe most of the founding fathers of the USA were spiritual and god-fearing men raised up and inspired by God to establish a free nation where freedom of religion among other freedoms would be able to thrive. They believe this historic event was necessary to create a climate whereby Christ could bring about a restoration of the fullness of His gospel. So in this context, for Latter Day Saints, it makes much more sense why Joan of Arc could have truly been commissioned by Christ to do what she did for France. Indeed, like George Washington and others, I think it can be said that Joan of Arc had a critical role as a significant forerunner to Joseph Smith in helping Christ pave the way for the restoration of His church.

In short, before Christ would call upon Joseph Smith to be a prophet for the restoration of His church, it is now apparent to me that Christ called Joan of Arc to very much be a prophetess for the restoration of France to preserve that nation for their role in the American Revolution.

It is also interesting to note just how much there is in common with the histories of both Joan of Arc and Joseph Smith. Both were children of simple peasant farmers, both had little to no education [Joan was wholly illiterate], both claim to have received visitations of heavenly personages while they were teenagers, both claim to have received four years of instruction at the feet of divinely appointed angels with physical bodies before commencing their respective missions [Joan was tried as a heretic for claiming to be visited and instructed by physical personages from the heavenly realm not long after the upper Catholic Clergy had apparently come to a consensus that angels were non-corporeal spiritual beings], and both are supported by statements from peers who claim to have witnessed what they saw as miraculous events in their presence.

One could also draw a few parallels between the prophet-warrior namesake for the Book of Mormon and Joan.

Indeed, by small and simple things [and by young and simple people] does God bring great things to pass.

Needless to say, I no longer wonder why Joan of Arc would have been guided and directed by God, as she claimed, to do what she was able to do.

ilovetherain
captain of 100

Post by ilovetherain »

Loved it. I have always wondered what the true story was and I think this production is the closest to the facts I am aware of. Impressed with the actress that plays Joan as well. She did an excellent job.

Dash jones
captain of 100

Post by Dash jones »

I'll take a look at the show/movie.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

The scriptures teach that there is always one of a town, two of a city. I see no reason to disbelieve many stories of Saints in the past. What is sad is how many Saints God has supplied to humanity, and how few have been accepted. Mankind always seems to worship those who Satan raises up and rid the world of those who Christ raises up.

Hopefull
captain of 50

Post by Hopefull »

I thought it was great and wondered a couple times why this story is being told now (not that it has been hidden, just that I can't be the only one who barely knew anything about Joan of Ark). I wonder if it is partially so that more people will have the courage to go against the herd and stand for what is right at all costs. It is obvious that we are rapidly heading in the wrong direction as society and it is going to take people willing to give their lives to stand for what is right.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

I too was able to watch the last half and was very impressed. Made me want to be just like her! I also found it interesting that like our Savior, she was ultimately put to death by the religious leaders of her day, within France her homeland too.

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

Thx for the link :)

rs7
Hi, I'm new.

Post by rs7 »

I was able to see the one minute trailer and a six minute video of the five miracles of Joan of Arc. I was hoping to finally watch it but I am unable to find it! Does anyone have a way to find it.

Thanks
rs7