There is only One Option!

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
samizdat
captain of 1,000

Re: There is only One Option!

Post by samizdat »

rewcox wrote:Polygamy is authorized by God, sometimes it is on, sometimes it is off. Currently it is off.
Rachael wrote:Rewcox: "....There is only One Option! Joseph lived polygamy and received direction from God that polygamy was authorized, so the church lived the law of polygamy until God said to stop...."

The United States government said to stop
If you're gonna use prosperity of a church as a measuring stick.... Well
Polygamy appears to have been authorized at the head of dispensations and later done away with. With the end goal of providing seed of believers (see the Jacob 2 caveat about polygamy there).

Whenever someone went beyond the Lord's bounds, then it was ALWAYS seen as wicked. Case in point the concubines of Solomon that led him to the idols of Egypt.

God's default standard is one man-one woman. Sometimes modified to get a critical mass of believers, once said mass is achieved, there is no need for it. Hence no polygamy today.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

I have come to a theory that possibly Joseph Smith understood the need for selling the family of God and thus instituted that by being sealed to many women and sealing certain families together by using the daughter to do so. I am not too sure that everything was really understood back then when it started. I don't believe that men were supposed to actually procreate with these women and keep them for time as they eventually did.

The results of what happened really aren't impressive as to the raising a righteous seed. The results could have been better if the women had their own husband and the children had a father figure that wasn't spread out between many homes.

Again, I think that Joseph's intentions were different than what eventually occured. He didn't explain things very much or she'd more light on the situation so I also wonder if he really understood the full idea of sealing the family of God together.

If it was as the early church taught, then it makes really no sense why we don't do this today. If it is to be a certain way, then we would make it that way. We could still do eternal multiple sealings without breaking the law or causing any trouble. The prophet would have multiple sealings in order to seal the family of God in this generation to the leader of this generation. A principle is an eternal principle, not one that is turned on or off. It is always on, so I guess that is why the whole thing really doesn't make much sense.

If it is as some say, then we are a pretty sad generation of members because we are not allowed to partake of this amazing opportunity at superior happiness and righteousness.

If we keep this unhealthy mentality of polygamy then we will continue to cause damage within the members of the church. A woman must feel secure and good about her calling as a wife to her husband and feel that she is adequate in that role in order to put her whole heart and efforts into maximizing this. If a woman feels that there are women missing from the relationship for it to be happy or complete of more worthy - whatever- then why would she fulfill her duties with confidence? It is a sad state to be in and that sadness would reflect on how she behaves and performed in her roles.

I beg of all you husbands out there to assure your wife that she is all that is needed and the two of you are complete and no other woman would make the whole more whole. That the two of you is all God requires and that she has an equal role to yours and is needed and wanted and no others are ever going to be a threat or an addition to what you two have. If a woman feels good about her role and her being good enough as one woman and that you don't want any others then she would do her duties with more confidence and happiness and would love you more. No woman is free from these feelings within the church. Yes, there are likely some who have accepted this as a reality for them, but most have ill feelings towards it and it does reflect with her feelings towards her spouse.

You want your wife to really love you, then please take my advice. Polygamy doesn't beget love and the thought of it coming into your life, will diminish love. If you don't believe me then you are not privy to the inner workings of womans thinking.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

I'm not promoting polygamy. I agree with what you say on how spouses should treat each other. Complete fidelity and love.

I am saying the only option was that God authorized polygamy for a period of time. Any other option fails logic. Some people may not join the church because of polygamy being practiced. Some use polygamy as a reason to disaffect from the church, blaming Brigham Young. Brigham Young was a great servant of the Lord. I know this is true.
Official Declaration 1
The Bible and the Book of Mormon teach that monogamy is God’s standard for marriage unless He declares otherwise (see 2 Samuel 12:7–8 and Jacob 2:27, 30).

Following a revelation to Joseph Smith, the practice of plural marriage was instituted among Church members in the early 1840s (see section 132). From the 1860s to the 1880s, the United States government passed laws to make this religious practice illegal. These laws were eventually upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

After receiving revelation, President Wilford Woodruff issued the following Manifesto, which was accepted by the Church as authoritative and binding on October 6, 1890. This led to the end of the practice of plural marriage in the Church
Melissa wrote:I have come to a theory that possibly Joseph Smith understood the need for selling the family of God and thus instituted that by being sealed to many women and sealing certain families together by using the daughter to do so. I am not too sure that everything was really understood back then when it started. I don't believe that men were supposed to actually procreate with these women and keep them for time as they eventually did.

The results of what happened really aren't impressive as to the raising a righteous seed. The results could have been better if the women had their own husband and the children had a father figure that wasn't spread out between many homes.

Again, I think that Joseph's intentions were different than what eventually occured. He didn't explain things very much or she'd more light on the situation so I also wonder if he really understood the full idea of sealing the family of God together.

If it was as the early church taught, then it makes really no sense why we don't do this today. If it is to be a certain way, then we would make it that way. We could still do eternal multiple sealings without breaking the law or causing any trouble. The prophet would have multiple sealings in order to seal the family of God in this generation to the leader of this generation. A principle is an eternal principle, not one that is turned on or off. It is always on, so I guess that is why the whole thing really doesn't make much sense.

If it is as some say, then we are a pretty sad generation of members because we are not allowed to partake of this amazing opportunity at superior happiness and righteousness.

If we keep this unhealthy mentality of polygamy then we will continue to cause damage within the members of the church. A woman must feel secure and good about her calling as a wife to her husband and feel that she is adequate in that role in order to put her whole heart and efforts into maximizing this. If a woman feels that there are women missing from the relationship for it to be happy or complete of more worthy - whatever- then why would she fulfill her duties with confidence? It is a sad state to be in and that sadness would reflect on how she behaves and performed in her roles.

I beg of all you husbands out there to assure your wife that she is all that is needed and the two of you are complete and no other woman would make the whole more whole. That the two of you is all God requires and that she has an equal role to yours and is needed and wanted and no others are ever going to be a threat or an addition to what you two have. If a woman feels good about her role and her being good enough as one woman and that you don't want any others then she would do her duties with more confidence and happiness and would love you more. No woman is free from these feelings within the church. Yes, there are likely some who have accepted this as a reality for them, but most have ill feelings towards it and it does reflect with her feelings towards her spouse.

You want your wife to really love you, then please take my advice. Polygamy doesn't beget love and the thought of it coming into your life, will diminish love. If you don't believe me then you are not privy to the inner workings of womans thinking.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

samizdat wrote:
rewcox wrote:Polygamy is authorized by God, sometimes it is on, sometimes it is off. Currently it is off.
Rachael wrote:Rewcox: "....There is only One Option! Joseph lived polygamy and received direction from God that polygamy was authorized, so the church lived the law of polygamy until God said to stop...."

The United States government said to stop
If you're gonna use prosperity of a church as a measuring stick.... Well
Polygamy appears to have been authorized at the head of dispensations and later done away with. With the end goal of providing seed of believers (see the Jacob 2 caveat about polygamy there).

Whenever someone went beyond the Lord's bounds, then it was ALWAYS seen as wicked. Case in point the concubines of Solomon that led him to the idols of Egypt.

God's default standard is one man-one woman. Sometimes modified to get a critical mass of believers, once said mass is achieved, there is no need for it. Hence no polygamy today.
God's doesn't need polygamy for seed. He needs repentance.

He also seems pretty clear in Jacob 2 that he was raising a righteous branch in the new world with zero polygamy.
25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

rewcox wrote:
Official Declaration 1
The Bible and the Book of Mormon teach that monogamy is God’s standard for marriage unless He declares otherwise (see 2 Samuel 12:7–8 and Jacob 2:27, 30).

Following a revelation to Joseph Smith, the practice of plural marriage was instituted among Church members in the early 1840s (see section 132). From the 1860s to the 1880s, the United States government passed laws to make this religious practice illegal. These laws were eventually upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

After receiving revelation, President Wilford Woodruff issued the following Manifesto, which was accepted by the Church as authoritative and binding on October 6, 1890. This led to the end of the practice of plural marriage in the Church
So God acted after the Gov't acted? How convenient. You realize polygamy didn't stop in 1890 right?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

I have confidence in God and in His church, that He authorized polygamy. The government has irritated a lot of people, and will probably continue to do so.
ajax wrote:
rewcox wrote:
Official Declaration 1

So God acted after the Gov't acted? How convenient. You realize polygamy didn't stop in 1890 right?

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Ajax makes a good point.

Melissa had a wonderful post also.

It's evil to choose any woman you want and make her your wife.
Any time a man of God in the OT had more than one wife, God chose a specific woman and gave her to that man for whatever reason I'll never understand.
There never was a time in which a man with "priesthood keys" could just say "I pick you to be my wife, and you, not you, oh and you 2 sisters". This is not if God.

I will never, no matter what my leaders tell me In the future, take a second wife. I love my wife, and she's all I want.

The ONLY way I would ever do such a thing, would be if God himself told me to do so, and even then it would be difficult.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

You shouldn't get another wife because polygamy is not authorized at this time. And don't wait around for it to be authorized.

God told Joseph to practice polygamy. Brigham and others. They followed God's commandment. If they were rogue, they would have lost their priesthood and keys. God would not let His new restored church to be led by vile adulterers. The power of the restoration continues with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Stahura wrote:Ajax makes a good point.

Melissa had a wonderful post also.

It's evil to choose any woman you want and make her your wife.
Any time a man of God in the OT had more than one wife, God chose a specific woman and gave her to that man for whatever reason I'll never understand.
There never was a time in which a man with "priesthood keys" could just say "I pick you to be my wife, and you, not you, oh and you 2 sisters". This is not if God.

I will never, no matter what my leaders tell me In the future, take a second wife. I love my wife, and she's all I want.

The ONLY way I would ever do such a thing, would be if God himself told me to do so, and even then it would be difficult.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

rewcox wrote:I have confidence in God and in His church, that He authorized polygamy. The government has irritated a lot of people, and will probably continue to do so.
I have confidence in God and His church, that He didn't authorized polygamy. That it created heartache, division, broken hearts and was and is a stumbling block for many. It's also created this weird like hyper apologetics and 'circling the brethren' attitude from average members, no matter how naughty.
Last edited by ajax on November 10th, 2015, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

rewcox wrote:I'm not promoting polygamy. I agree with what you say on how spouses should treat each other. Complete fidelity and love.

I am saying the only option was that God authorized polygamy for a period of time. Any other option fails logic. Some people may not join the church because of polygamy being practiced. Some use polygamy as a reason to disaffect from the church, blaming Brigham Young. Brigham Young was a great servant of the Lord. I know this is true.
Official Declaration 1

Melissa wrote:I have come to a theory that possibly Joseph Smith understood the need for selling the family of God and thus instituted that by being sealed to many women and sealing certain families together by using the daughter to do so. I am not too sure that everything was really understood back then when it started. I don't believe that men were supposed to actually procreate with these women and keep them for time as they eventually did.

I guess my point is, based on logic, I have a very hard time sustaining polygamy based on everything I have stated.

Im not sure God is okay with a woman's broken heart.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Then God would have been a respecter of persons, allowing Brigham Young to do something that offends God and his daughters.

Your logic fails.
ajax wrote:
rewcox wrote:I have confidence in God and in His church, that He authorized polygamy. The government has irritated a lot of people, and will probably continue to do so.
I have confidence in God and His church, that He didn't authorized polygamy. That it created heartache, division, broken hearts and was and is a stumbling block for many. It's also created this weird like hyper apologetics and 'circling the brethren' attitude from average members, no matter how naughty.

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

rewcox wrote:Then God would have been a respecter of persons, allowing Brigham Young to do something that offends God
Does God allow agency? Do you believe in infallible leaders?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Did David get away with killing Uriah? Abinidi was sent to Noah and his wicked priests, Alma was one. An angel was sent to Alma and the sons of Mosiah when they were attacking the church.

Would God allow Brigham Young and the other apostles to pervert the newly restored church? No, there were other people available.

The keys, authority and power went with Brigham Young and the other leaders because they were following God's commandments.
Squally wrote:
rewcox wrote:Then God would have been a respecter of persons, allowing Brigham Young to do something that offends God
Does God allow agency? Do you believe in infallible leaders?

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

rewcox wrote:Polygamy is authorized by God, sometimes it is on, sometimes it is off. Currently it is off
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ * sings "Lets get on"*♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Sexual healing, baby!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Rachael wrote:
rewcox wrote:Polygamy is authorized by God, sometimes it is on, sometimes it is off. Currently it is off
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ * sings "Lets get on"*♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Sexual healing, baby!

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Have faith in Jesus man. He doesn't forsake or forget His children. Did he forget or forsake apostate Israel? His "arm is stretched out still", no matter how wacky we get.

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Rewcox; you profess that there is only one option. The devil profess the same line of thinking. God professes that mankind be given a choice. I believe that a choice has to include two options, by definition. Again the emperor has no cloths.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I wouldn't have lived that the way it was lived in the early days either.
It's not right to just start taking whichever women appeal to you.

Even back then, I would have only done such a thing if God himself commanded me, because that's the only way God ever worked.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Hey, what happened to Squally's Rucock reference?

I thought it entirely appropriate. Cock being a rooster of course (c'mon rew, get your mind out of the gutter), surrounded by many hens.

Perfect for a polygamy thread. Like any good rooster, Rew is ca-doodling loud and clear on the topic. ;)

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

You never addressed ajax's point about polygamy not stopping in 1890. Wilford (ya know, the one who God told to stop it) continued to seal multiple wives to others. Other high ranking leaders also continued it. Some went to Mexico so they wouldn't have to deal with our lovely government.

I would love to see how mentally flexible you are to justify this.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

rewcox wrote:Did David get away with killing Uriah? Abinidi was sent to Noah and his wicked priests, Alma was one. An angel was sent to Alma and the sons of Mosiah when they were attacking the church.

Would God allow Brigham Young and the other apostles to pervert the newly restored church? No, there were other people available.

The keys, authority and power went with Brigham Young and the other leaders because they were following God's commandment's
Since Cowdery, Law, Rigdon, et al, were ex'd, a coup is possible...

deep water
captain of 1,000

Post by deep water »

Rewcox, was Alma's priesthood he received before Abinadi, preserved and used to baptise at the waters of Mormon?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

You have a choice dw, I chose and still do to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to enjoy leaders chosen by Christ, to have keys and authority to preach and spread the gospel. To enjoy the good stuff.
deep water wrote:Rewcox; you profess that there is only one option. The devil profess the same line of thinking. God professes that mankind be given a choice. I believe that a choice has to include two options, by definition. Again the emperor has no cloths.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

I'm giving you some pointers Stahura, you said you want to learn.

You live in our days, you have to make your choices now. If you want a testimony of President Monson, you need a testimony of Brigham Young.

What is the church's position on polygamy? A widowed man can be sealed to another wife. I'm sure that brings great happiness to President Nelson's and Elder Oak's current wives. That should give you an idea.
Stahura wrote:I wouldn't have lived that the way it was lived in the early days either.
It's not right to just start taking whichever women appeal to you.

Even back then, I would have only done such a thing if God himself commanded me, because that's the only way God ever worked.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

He had to repent, as he did, he became an instrument in God's hand.
deep water wrote:Rewcox, was Alma's priesthood he received before Abinadi, preserved and used to baptise at the waters of Mormon?