The Hebrew Roots of Mormonism

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

The Hebrew Roots of Mormonism

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

GOD'S APPOINTED TIMES-- THE MOEDIM--

Consider the following historical events in Church History:
• December 23, 1805 (Hanukkah: 8th Day) – Joseph Smith Jr. Born (Founder of LDS Faith) –The Day for lighting the last great Light on the menorah. By some considered to be a representative of the seven great angelic messengers of God
• September 21, 1823 (Sukkot I) – Joseph prays and is visited three times during the night by an angel named Moroni. Moroni tells him about a hidden book and quotes scriptures from the books of Joel, Isaiah, and Malachi.
• September 22, 1823 (Sukkot II) – Joseph goes to the place where the gold plates are concealed, but is instructed by the angel Moroni not to retrieve them.
• September 22, 1827 (Erev Rosh Hashana or Feast of Trumpets) – Joseph receives the gold plates.
• April 3, 1836 (Pesach I or Passover) – Mormons believe that during the dedication of the Kirtland Temple, Jesus, Moses, Elijah, and Elias appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, restoring the Gospel. They committed to Joseph and Oliver the keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of the earth, the leading of the ten tribal families from the north, the administering of the keys of the Abrahamic dispensation, and the keys of sealing powers. (D&C 110:3–4, 7).
• 4-5, to May 1842 (Shavuot) Initiation and completion of endowments to nine men who formed the anointed quorum.
And consider the following:
• Passover: Spring Conference
• Sukkot: Fall conference

Elias Returns
captain of 100

Re: The Hebrew Roots of Mormonism

Post by Elias Returns »

Thank you Dear Brother!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It brings to mind the current four blood moons and what is going on in the world today. And what I believe is about to be unleashed.

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

The Blood Moons are interesting. They actually fall on the High Holy days of Israel in 2014 and 2015. Blood Moons in tradition are signs of judgment.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

These are not coincidences. Heavenly Father is the most organized being in the universe.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

mormon rabbi - thanks for your insights into the timing of "things". we gentiles simply do not know what we don't know about jewish culture, belief and tradition.

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

No problem. There are a lot of things we will be able to learn from each other. You would be amazed at the depth that understanding the Hebrew roots of our faith adds to our understanding and the message of the Book of Mormon.

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

The Appointed Times of Israel are very pertinent as rehearsals of God's work. Most of the Book of Revelation draws from imagery in the Feast of Trumpets (Yom Teruah), The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), and The Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot). This is why when most christians say "No Man knows the Day, or Hour" of the Messiahs Second coming we Jews laugh. There is only one day in Israels Calendar called the Day and Hour No Man Knows-- Yom Teruah--The Feast of Trumpets. So we really do know the day and hour-- we just don't know the year. Israel has been given these appointed times as a perpetual ordinance through all our generations. So All you Israeli Ephraimites might want to check them out as they pertain to ALL the House of Israel and not just Judah alone.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

I find it interesting the FPM for August 2014 in the Ensign. Dieter F. Uchtdorf talking about the harvest. Tell me if I am wrong, but isn't Tu B'Av the commencing of the harvest that runs through the rest of Av, Elul, and the Days of Awe?

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Tu B Av is the 15th of the month of Av, only 6 days after the disaster of the 9th of Av. From what I understand it is the commencing of the fall harvest and a happy time to recover from the disaster of Tisha B Av.

The doctrine of baptism for the dead, as well as Brigham Young declaring the site where the SLC Temple would be built, were revealed on the 15th of Av, 5601 and 5607 respectively.

The 15th of Av, 5774, falls on 10-11 August 2014.

Sorry to have you lost there.

shylohmw
captain of 50
Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also

Post by shylohmw »

A good background book on this is "The Lord's Holy Days" by Lenet Hadley Read

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lords-Holy-Da ... B0022VEBVO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Year of Jubilee (Yovel)

1520 BC (50th) Exodus from Egypt (Jubilee of Jubilees)
70 AD Destruction of the Temple (Another fulfillment of Daniel's 70 weeks)

1820 (116th) First Vision, End of Spanish Inquisition
1870 (117th) EDICT OF POPE NICHOLAS III, ending of the Roman Ghettos.
1920 (118th) Prohibition, League of Nations begins, Protocols of Zion published, Balfour Declaration and the British Mandate for Palestine confirmed by League of Nations.

1950 "Law of Return" or the Commandment or Law set forth that called for the Gathering of Jews to Israel granting any converted or native Jew citizenship. (Beginning of Daniel's 70 Shabuas).

1970 (119th) End of War of Attrition following 6-days war.
2020 (120th) The Lord's Jubilee? "Time of Restitution of All things" --- Temple built in Jerusalem?, Zion built in America?

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Mormon Rabbi wrote:GOD'S APPOINTED TIMES-- THE MOEDIM--

Consider the following historical events in Church History:
• December 23, 1805 (Hanukkah: 8th Day) – Joseph Smith Jr. Born (Founder of LDS Faith) –The Day for lighting the last great Light on the menorah. By some considered to be a representative of the seven great angelic messengers of God
• September 21, 1823 (Sukkot I) – Joseph prays and is visited three times during the night by an angel named Moroni. Moroni tells him about a hidden book and quotes scriptures from the books of Joel, Isaiah, and Malachi.
• September 22, 1823 (Sukkot II) – Joseph goes to the place where the gold plates are concealed, but is instructed by the angel Moroni not to retrieve them.
• September 22, 1827 (Erev Rosh Hashana or Feast of Trumpets) – Joseph receives the gold plates.
• April 3, 1836 (Pesach I or Passover) – Mormons believe that during the dedication of the Kirtland Temple, Jesus, Moses, Elijah, and Elias appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, restoring the Gospel. They committed to Joseph and Oliver the keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of the earth, the leading of the ten tribal families from the north, the administering of the keys of the Abrahamic dispensation, and the keys of sealing powers. (D&C 110:3–4, 7).
• 4-5, to May 1842 (Shavuot) Initiation and completion of endowments to nine men who formed the anointed quorum.
And consider the following:
• Passover: Spring Conference
• Sukkot: Fall conference
It appears you embrace a Solstice Hebrew Calendar :ymapplause:

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

davedan wrote:Year of Jubilee (Yovel)

1520 BC (50th) Exodus from Egypt (Jubilee of Jubilees)
70 AD Destruction of the Temple (Another fulfillment of Daniel's 70 weeks)

1820 (116th) First Vision, End of Spanish Inquisition
1870 (117th) EDICT OF POPE NICHOLAS III, ending of the Roman Ghettos.
1920 (118th) Prohibition, League of Nations begins, Protocols of Zion published, Balfour Declaration and the British Mandate for Palestine confirmed by League of Nations.

1950 "Law of Return" or the Commandment or Law set forth that called for the Gathering of Jews to Israel granting any converted or native Jew citizenship. (Beginning of Daniel's 70 Shabuas).

1970 (119th) End of War of Attrition following 6-days war.
2020 (120th) The Lord's Jubilee? "Time of Restitution of All things" --- Temple built in Jerusalem?, Zion built in America?
The Jubilee is every 50 years. It falls in the 27th and 77th years in each century. The coming Jubilee is the the year the Jew (most Jews) are not looking for, as the major are not looking for the Day and Hour of Yeshua Ha Mashiach return.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

I am curious as to the Mormon Rabbi thoughts of what is the tie that binds them all together upon these days and the teachings of God unto his children. Is it not the whole of these days to teach equality through equity administered from and through a pure heart filled with peace and goodwill one towards another? That they become as "One" through freewill offerings from a heart filled with loving kindness and seeing eye to eye with God?

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

For your interest have a look at the BBC documentary by Simon Schama entitled 'The Story of the Jews.' It is really,really, really insightful, interesting and informative. It is set out in five parts and gives great detail without being too dry. If you want to deepen your understanding of the Jews, this is a good place to start.

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

samizdat wrote:I find it interesting the FPM for August 2014 in the Ensign. Dieter F. Uchtdorf talking about the harvest. Tell me if I am wrong, but isn't Tu B'Av the commencing of the harvest that runs through the rest of Av, Elul, and the Days of Awe?

Tu B'AV is the beginning of the grape harvest. It falls on or about the 15th day of the Month of AV (July/August). It is actually not a High Holy day, but is mostly discussed in the Talmud (Commentary written post Babylon by the Sages). There are 7 Feasts or Appointed Times Commanded by God:

1. Passover
2. Unleavened Bread
2. Ha Bikkurim (First Fruits)
4. Shavuot (Pentecost)
5. Yom Teruah/ Rosh Hashana- Feast of Trumpets
6. Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement)
7. Sukkot-- The Feast of Tabernacles.

Each of the Feasts is prophetic in nature and teaches us about the Covenant, the Messiah, and God's Deliverance.

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

Robert Sinclair wrote:I am curious as to the Mormon Rabbi thoughts of what is the tie that binds them all together upon these days and the teachings of God unto his children. Is it not the whole of these days to teach equality through equity administered from and through a pure heart filled with peace and goodwill one towards another? That they become as "One" through freewill offerings from a heart filled with loving kindness and seeing eye to eye with God?
Robert I personally believe most people keep the Feasts out of tradition now. The "feasts" or moedim (appointed times) are part of the culture that unites all Israel into one body. Many traditions have formed in Judaism since the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. Those of us who are believers in Messiah see them as witnesses of the Messiah-- of his first and second coming. The feasts were given to all Israel and not just the Jews I have held many Passover Seders for Latter-Day Saints and we have a great time. These appointed times are often called days of joy. In fact when you hear the declaration "Behold I declare glad tidings of great Joy" it is an announcement of the High Holy Days in the Fall--often called THE season of Joy.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

What are your thoughts of the Messiah that came to Joseph Smith and gave commandments that the rich are to give covenants and deeds that cannot be broken into the hands of the poor?

Also the words of the Lord to Joshua to see that all of Israel are to receive an inheritance?

If I have billions of assets and you have none, and you are yoked by huge mortgage payments or rental payments, to just get by from day to day, what are your thoughts of the teachings of Isaiah and Micah and Malachi and Jeremiah and Joel and Moses and all the Holy prophets regarding opening my hand wide and even having a Lord's release if they cannot afford to repay?

Why command to give, if the people, especially the leader's become collector's rather than distributors of inheritances?

Understand you not the words of God regarding the giving, being withheld?

Equal in their temporal things?

Not just getting together for a party to enjoy the day and company but a giving of possessions of property and goods to the poor from the rich?

Have you not deeply studied these portions of the laws of God as well as traditions of gatherings?

Or of the powers of the priesthood being withheld for opening up the eyes of blind and ears of the deaf until such time as these laws are kept?

I see you call yourself a teacher to Mormons what would you teach them of inheritance commanded of Jesus Christ even the Lord God of Israel?

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

Robert Sinclair wrote:What are your thoughts of the Messiah that came to Joseph Smith and gave commandments that the rich are to give covenants and deeds that cannot be broken into the hands of the poor?

Also the words of the Lord to Joshua to see that all of Israel are to receive an inheritance?

If I have billions of assets and you have none, and you are yoked by huge mortgage payments or rental payments, to just get by from day to day, what are your thoughts of the teachings of Isaiah and Micah and Malachi and Jeremiah and Joel and Moses and all the Holy prophets regarding opening my hand wide and even having a Lord's release if they cannot afford to repay?

Why command to give, if the people, especially the leader's become collector's rather than distributors of inheritances?

Understand you not the words of God regarding the giving, being withheld?

Equal in their temporal things?

Not just getting together for a party to enjoy the day and company but a giving of possessions of property and goods to the poor from the rich?

Have you not deeply studied these portions of the laws of God as well as traditions of gatherings?

Or of the powers of the priesthood being withheld for opening up the eyes of blind and ears of the deaf until such time as these laws are kept?

I see you call yourself a teacher to Mormons what would you teach them of inheritance commanded of Jesus Christ even the Lord God of Israel?
Wow Robert that is a tall order. LOL. What is interesting is that the laws regarding inheritance and consecration in the Torah are very similar to what Joseph Smith Taught. What is funny is that as part of my Masters research on cooperative finance I did look into Joseph Smith's United Order. He actually used the same principles found in the Torah to establish the economy of the early Saints (at least in principle). As for Brigham Young, I don't know what that man was doing as his orders did not follow the Pattern in the Torah given by God.

For example. In Torah we have the principle of the 1st tithe which is 10% of your interest ( i.e. 10% of your profitability after expenses) that is to go toward the maintenance of the priests, etc. This is a far cry from the 10% flat tax called tithing in the Church today which takes 10% of your gross income annually. What is funny is that Section 119 follows the Torah law declaring 10% of your interest annually not 10% of your income. Even during the time of JS interest income is defined as net income after all expenses were accounted for. So if you make $50k annually and your expenses to take care of your family is $40k then your interest income is $10k. You would then pay 10% of the $10k to the church or $1k. Taking care of the poor and need comes from offerings from people of their own free will and accord not the first tithe. Plug this principle into a spreadsheet and you will find out that families who follow this pattern will actually have a surplus and their wealth will grow exponentially. A 10% flat tax on everything you own just leads the members to financial hardship and poverty, but makes the corporation wealthy. I laugh when I hear people say do you want to be grossly blessed or netly blessed. In hebraic thought the blessing comes from obedience to the law--i.e. the blessing is built into the law itself. No one is going to rain down food and clothing on your door--unless ofcourse you might be led out into the wilderness.

We also have the principle of the storehouse which is where the idea of banking actually grew out. Sad to see what happened to the greedy bankers, but used righteously a family could develop their own family storeshouse (bank for cash and goods) so that their children don't have to borrow from the babylonian bankers. I actually know an LDS guy down in Orem who actually found this principle in the Torah (OT) and used it for his family. All of his kids homes are paid for. their educations are paid for. None are in debt and the family borrows from the family storehouse instead of the bank whereever possible. I was totally impressed because I usually only see this in Jewish sects-- and let me tell you they are wealthy because they know God's design for wealth instead of giving all their surplus up.

There are many other principles which we all have in common. I find it interesting how much we have in common. The P of GP states that Zion is the pure in heart and there were no poor among them. This record came from Moses. Why not also check out Moses teachings in the Torah (OT) that says "that there may be no poor among you" do these things .... shalom

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

The Torah has no principle of forced equality. The idea from taking from anyone by force is not found in Torah. All things must be by law and according to freewill. God set up inheritances for the tribe as covenant land grants. By honoring the covenant and the giver of the covenant we lay the foundation for Zion.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Thank you for your thoughts of giving. I have had experience with the super wealthy and that is a whole different level of thought upon that which is required of them from God.
And as far as building whole communities and planning out how inheritances are to be given to the people.

Peace to you as well and your family and friends. ♡

Mormon Rabbi
captain of 50

Post by Mormon Rabbi »

By the way guys. My use of the screen name Mormon Rabbi is not meant to be a statement that I declare myself to be a teacher of Mormons. It really is just a screen name based upon a joke as my friends call me Rabbi Rob :)) Anyway. I hope that whatever insights I can share regarding Hebrew Roots is helpful and beneficial to those interested.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Mormon Rabbi wrote:Tu B'AV is the beginning of the grape harvest. It falls on or about the 15th day of the Month of AV (July/August). It is actually not a High Holy day, but is mostly discussed in the Talmud (Commentary written post Babylon by the Sages). There are 7 Feasts or Appointed Times Commanded by God:

1. Passover
2. Unleavened Bread
2. Ha Bikkurim (First Fruits)
4. Shavuot (Pentecost)
5. Yom Teruah/ Rosh Hashana- Feast of Trumpets
6. Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement)
7. Sukkot-- The Feast of Tabernacles.

Each of the Feasts is prophetic in nature and teaches us about the Covenant, the Messiah, and God's Deliverance.
I find a slightly differing list then you:

1. Pesach/Passover (1 Feast Day).
2. Chag HaMatzot/Feast of Unleavened Bread (7 Feast Days).
3. Ḥag HaShavuot or Shavuot is HaBikkurim (Feast of First Fruits or Pentecost in the Greek, 1 Feast Day).
4. Rosh Hashanah/"Head of the Year", also called the Feast of Trumpets. Is the Jewish Yom Teruah/New Year (1 Observance Day). This is the first of the High Holidays or Yamim Noraim/"Days of Awe" (10 Observance Days).
5. Yom Kippur/Day of Atonement (1 Fast Day, a Solemn Assembly).
6. Sukkot/Feast of Tabernacles (7 Feast Days).
7. Shemini Atzeret/the "Eighth Day" or the day of the 'Coming of the Great G_d' (1 Fast Day, a Solemn Assembly). Also became known for the ceremony of the 'Day of Judgment for Rain'.
8. Hanukkah/Festival of Lights or Dedication (8 Observance Days). Was not given by G_d on Mount Sinai, but was prophesied in Daniel 8:9-14, and took place in 165 BC when the Temple was rededicated.

Shalom
Last edited by Kingdom of ZION on July 31st, 2014, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

Thank you, Rob, for the insights. One of the things that it brings to my mind is the reality that Joseph Smith could not have known the prophecies and symbolism of the various dates on which events fall. He did not start studying Hebrew until sometime well into the Kirtland period, IIRC. Yet there is tremendous symbolism.

I love that the Succoth (Sukkot) fell on the times that he was learning about and receiving the BoM. What a Feast of Harvest it is for the world; what a symbolic gift from God.

Of course the symbolism of Elijah's return on Passover has been commented on by more than one GA in Conference talks. It is indeed a great and amazing gift for our day.

To me, these are simply testimony further that Joseph Smith was indeed chosen by God to restore the blessings of the priesthood in the last days, and that we are in the very last days.