Cleon Skousen | The Cleansing of America

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
reese
captain of 1,000

Re: Cleon Skousen | The Cleansing of America

Post by reese »

Jason wrote:
reese wrote:
lundbaek wrote:From my observations, I think even many LDSs would get heartburn over the topic. Personally, I'm not bothered by it. But from time to time I get the message that some people think it is, if not an unrighteous endeavour to promote awareness to our “awful situation” (as well as of our responsibilities to maintain our freedom and constitutional principles), it is at best a waste of time that they think could be better spent focusing on other aspects of the gospel. I have very good reasons for promoting awareness to our “awful situation” and our responsibilities to maintain our freedom and constitutional principles. But I can envision some people getting upset over it; more so now even than when Dr. Skousen's "Prophecy and Modern Times" and Duane Crowther's "Prophecy, Key to the Future" first became popular. They both generated controversy just among members of the Church. In these times, an enemy of the Church could have a hayday with this new book, which, I understands, contains most all that was written in "Prophecy and Modern Times".

I agree with you 100%, unfortunately. Hey maybe it really won't create a lot of waves, because almost all LDS's I know would never even read the book. :? Why is that? Seriously what is the problem with people. Why on earth do they get so offended by this topic? And they really do get offended, they take it personally! I have talked to people who act like you are attacking them personally when these things are talked about.

I'm curious about something. I was a teenager when President Benson was alive. So I was a bit clueless. But I've heard that many members of the church thought he was "out of line" saying some of the things he did. Is that true? What was it that got members so upset?
Too conservative....too much truth. President Benson would tell you how it was....and didn't waste time saying it. For example declaring that the whole church was under condemnation for taking the Book of Mormon too lightly. Nobody wanted to hear it....sound familiar....
Yes, it does sound familiar. I guess I just don't get it. I would LOVE to go back in time and hear some of the things he said in person. Obviousley I've never met the man, but I sure feel like I really, really like him after reading the things he has written and things written about him.
I guess I just day dream about the day someone will get up in church and tell the congregation "how it is". I would love to see the someone rock that boat. 8)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I'm old enough to remember when some members of the church thought he was "out of line" saying some of the things he did. He even torqued me off a couple of times on a couple of issues in the way he expressed himself. Fortunately I got acquainted years ago (1965) with his brother Waldo and his wife, and they brought me down out of orbit. Somewhere on this forum is a report of Senator Harry Reid speaking critically of Elder Benson to members of the media following a speech at BYU. He opined that Brother Benson had led members down the wrong path. More recently, an otherwide devoted member of the Church, in trying to rebut some statements of Elder Benson that I quoted her, said that he was getting old and more or less was beginning to lose it. But you are correct; he did get some members upset.

And if talks like Elder Benson's were given in ward meetings, stake conferences and in General Conferences now, I think that could even split the Church asunder. He was definitely not a make you feel good speaker.

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

lundbaek wrote:And if talks like Elder Benson's were given in ward meetings, stake conferences and in General Conferences now, I think that could even split the Church asunder. He was definitely not a make you feel good speaker.

I like his style. Like Patrick Henry said, I want to know the truth and provide for it. Give it to me straight without any frills. There is too much feel-good pandering in the Church today for my taste.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:
lundbaek wrote:And if talks like Elder Benson's were given in ward meetings, stake conferences and in General Conferences now, I think that could even split the Church asunder. He was definitely not a make you feel good speaker.

I like his style. Like Patrick Henry said, I want to know the truth and provide for it. Give it to me straight without any frills. There is too much feel-good pandering in the Church today for my taste.
Its a comin' ....just waiting for the final maturity of the wheat and the tares! Gettin' real close!

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

Jason wrote:
patriotsaint wrote:

Its a comin' ....just waiting for the final maturity of the wheat and the tares! Gettin' real close!
I just hope I pass muster.......

gruden
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden »

reese wrote: I agree with you 100%, unfortunately. Hey maybe it really won't create a lot of waves, because almost all LDS's I know would never even read the book. :? Why is that? Seriously what is the problem with people. Why on earth do they get so offended by this topic? And they really do get offended, they take it personally! I have talked to people who act like you are attacking them personally when these things are talked about.
I'm sure I'll sound like a wacko for saying this, but people are brainwashed, they really are. TV, media, music, and simply decades of groupthink. Hearing truth can cause a physiological response (ask Laman) and people lash out, even though they might not know why.

Oh, and don't underestimate the effect of fluoridation on people. It promotes rigidity in thinking, plus loss of a few IQ points here and there.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

gruden wrote:
reese wrote: I agree with you 100%, unfortunately. Hey maybe it really won't create a lot of waves, because almost all LDS's I know would never even read the book. :? Why is that? Seriously what is the problem with people. Why on earth do they get so offended by this topic? And they really do get offended, they take it personally! I have talked to people who act like you are attacking them personally when these things are talked about.
I'm sure I'll sound like a wacko for saying this, but people are brainwashed, they really are. TV, media, music, and simply decades of groupthink. Hearing truth can cause a physiological response (ask Laman) and people lash out, even though they might not know why.

Oh, and don't underestimate the effect of fluoridation on people. It promotes rigidity in thinking, plus loss of a few IQ points here and there.
Gruden, I think you are right. People do lash out. The truth hurts when it goes against you.

I actually think the brethren do a fine job of calling us to repentence. Go look at any talk, each one of them is to teach someone somewhere including ourselves on how to live better. It's all perspective in how we look and listen. When in toon with the spirit I have felt sharp words coming from the pulpit when I have been out of line in my life. When living right I have felt the peace that flows out. If we feel peace from the words they speak we are prepared or we are just not listening and if we don't feel that peace we have some work left to do.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:
Jason wrote:Its a comin' ....just waiting for the final maturity of the wheat and the tares! Gettin' real close!
I just hope I pass muster.......
I don't really care....do the best I can with what I have.....and wherever the chips fall....I know the decision will be just....and in all likelihood....far more merciful and better than I ever deserve!

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

I'm excited to check it out. I've posted a link below, which features some early reviews of the book.

http://valorpublishinggroup.com/Books/c ... eviews.php

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I'm thinking that this is one book I really will have to have.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

So will this book be availible in Deseret Book, or Seagull Book? I just talked to someone at Deseret Book and they did not know anything about it.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

reese wrote:So will this book be availible in Deseret Book, or Seagull Book? I just talked to someone at Deseret Book and they did not know anything about it.
I don't know if Cleons family are distributing his books through other outlets. They're certainly available at
http://www.skousen2000.com/

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Well it's April. I'm sure one of you have gotten it by now so let's review it!

gruden
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden »

Well it looks like Amazon will have it:
http://www.amazon.com/Cleansing-America ... 067&sr=8-1

I have an Amazon gift certificate coming my way, and this is something I'll use it for. So yes, let's hear some reviews! Is it worthwhile?

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

ditto!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Thoughts on it???

Quiet Cricket
captain of 100

Post by Quiet Cricket »

Jason wrote:Thoughts on it???
Yeah, let us know what you think, please. I've read most of his books; I hope this one is good too.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

thanks but a little more elaboration please.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

Just ordered it. I'll read it this next week. I remember hearing about this book before his death...and how it was not going to come out for who knew how long. I'm stoked!

monroe
Hi, I'm new.

Post by monroe »

My book just shipped today, so I'll have it by friday.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

reese wrote:
lundbaek wrote:From my observations, I think even many LDSs would get heartburn over the topic. Personally, I'm not bothered by it. But from time to time I get the message that some people think it is, if not an unrighteous endeavour to promote awareness to our “awful situation” (as well as of our responsibilities to maintain our freedom and constitutional principles), it is at best a waste of time that they think could be better spent focusing on other aspects of the gospel. I have very good reasons for promoting awareness to our “awful situation” and our responsibilities to maintain our freedom and constitutional principles. But I can envision some people getting upset over it; more so now even than when Dr. Skousen's "Prophecy and Modern Times" and Duane Crowther's "Prophecy, Key to the Future" first became popular. They both generated controversy just among members of the Church. In these times, an enemy of the Church could have a hayday with this new book, which, I understands, contains most all that was written in "Prophecy and Modern Times".
I agree with you 100%, unfortunately. Hey maybe it really won't create a lot of waves, because almost all LDS's I know would never even read the book. :? Why is that? Seriously what is the problem with people. Why on earth do they get so offended by this topic? And they really do get offended, they take it personally! I have talked to people
who act like you are attacking them personally when these things are talked about.

I'm curious about something. I was a teenager when President Benson was alive. So I
was a bit clueless. But I've heard that many members of the church thought he was "out of line" saying some of the things he did. Is that true? What was it that got members so upset?
Talk of the cleansing of the church can only be upsetting to you if you think that maybe there is a good possibility that it will be you getting cleaned out. :?

KalelIsbell
captain of 100

Post by KalelIsbell »

Just bought my book at Costco $18.00
what i have read so far is good
but a little scary :shock:
Last edited by KalelIsbell on May 10th, 2010, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wadewilson
captain of 10

Post by wadewilson »

Hi Everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I have been actively reading all of your posts for almost a year now!
Actually, I bought my copy at Deseret Book, although the price is higher there than
if you buy it directly from the publisher.

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

Hi Wade:

I think you picked a great book,
and a great place, to start.

Welcome! :D :D :D

Best Regards,
Sharon in Mississippi

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Just got mine last week. The first couple chapters about the cleansing are what they are. I think he had one or two sentences leaving the door open for a mass repentance, but for the most part I think he saw the writing on the wall (even in the 90's) that until some mass "humbling" occurs there won't be a people ready to truly live by God's law.

It's the other stuff that he explains about the possibility to then live by God's law after a humbling that is always exciting to me.

So as we prepare for the "cleansing" - get out of debt, food storage, etc.; we also need to be prepared to explain to people in simple terms how we could live by God's law. Will we be prepared to re-create society after the cleansing is a question I think many on this forum should constantly be asking (i.e., will we be humble enough and educated enough as well to be the future "captains" of 10's, 50's, 100's, etc.)?

Also, even with all the frustrations we often have with the supposed "mainstream" members of the church, I still am constantly amazed how the structure of families, home teaching, quorums, wards, stakes, etc. is so similar to the ideal government of God. So even if some in the church may not seem "awake" I still think many are getting the training to re-establish the "community" government once the "cleansing" is done.

The secret combinations are above us, so I feel now more than ever it is our duty to find out what the Spirit wants us each to do individually to prepare for the time when the secret combinations are removed.

What are others' thoughts on the possibility of a mass repentance/awakening (i.e., is Mr. Bennett being ousted a sign of people revisiting the Constitution) vs. having to go through a "cleansing" (i.e., Mr. Bennet being ousted is just another sign of the chaotic state we are in that must be "cleansed")?

Anyway, yes, the thought of the "cleansing" is sometimes scary, but the thought of what we could be with a truly "humble" nation that fears God is glorious.