The Shack

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

The Shack

Post by Original_Intent »

My wife and I just watched The Shack. Possibly my favorite movie of all time, This coming from a Hard Core Star Wars and Lord of the Rings fan.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: The Shack

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks for letting us know. I'll have to check it out. I can't say for sure what my favorite is but it might be The Shawshank Redemption or maybe Dead Poet's Society. We'll have to see if The Shack changes my mind.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Loved Shawshank Redemption as well. Dead Poet's also was awesome! I hate to raise expectations too much, but The Shack is a movie that could change the world.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

I didn't enjoy it very much.

3/10 for me.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

My wife was actually kidnapped as a child. I've been debating watching this. An old co-worker's daughter was kidnapped for several hours and recommended this movie as a source of healing. My wife was missing longer and it really wounded her parents deeply. I'm interested in this movie for healing. What say you Op?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Dang! Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see it.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

alaris wrote: June 2nd, 2017, 11:31 pm My wife was actually kidnapped as a child. I've been debating watching this. An old co-worker's daughter was kidnapped for several hours and recommended this movie as a source of healing. My wife was missing longer and it really wounded her parents deeply. I'm interested in this movie for healing. What say you Op?
I would say definitely yes. It strongly motivated me to forgive and make things right with people that I currently have had unkind feelings towards.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

alaris wrote: June 2nd, 2017, 11:31 pm My wife was actually kidnapped as a child. I've been debating watching this. An old co-worker's daughter was kidnapped for several hours and recommended this movie as a source of healing. My wife was missing longer and it really wounded her parents deeply. I'm interested in this movie for healing. What say you Op?
The movie was not at all what I was expecting - it was much better! And yes, it is all about healing - that's the crux of the whole story. Well worth watching - it might be a great help to you and your wife. :ymhug:

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Wondering if Meili or alaris watched this, and if so, what they thought?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Haven't got to it yet but I have been thinking about it.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Just watched it today since it was fresh on my mind. It was very good. I know the principles it taught are true. And there is so much more to them than what this movie conveys, or could possibly convey.

Over this past weekend, I had an incredible experience where I realized that prayers I prayed long ago were answered, in which I prayed for the ability to forgive on an ongoing basis. As I was working through my issues, I initially felt like a bird whose wings had been clipped but when I was finished, I felt like my struggles were a flight pad where I would launch for flight! How wonderful to see the same analogy in the movie.

I also highly recommend the movie. I think it could benefit anyone, regardless of whether they have suffered an extreme tragedy or not. It applies to every circumstance, even small hurts that we experience every day.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

I thought the movie was OK.

But is was full of those odd moments where it's not quite right, and that bugs me. It's like there's a dozen plot holes.

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Meili. It certainly wasn't "perfect" - i.e. it wasn't "the Gospel" but yet it was...possibility of man being reconciled to God, God's love vs. God allows bad things to happen. I loved how Jesus jokingly asks something like "Do I seem like a "religious" person?" :D Definitely felt a moment of truth there!

There is certainly plenty that if one takes it perfectly literally or is looking for details that are "obviously wrong" - yep, I couldn't agree more. But if you are looking for overall messages, what the Gospel is all about (and how SIMPLE it is) then I think this movie is a rare gem.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

2EstablishZion wrote: June 15th, 2017, 8:21 am I'm so glad you enjoyed it Meili. It certainly wasn't "perfect" - i.e. it wasn't "the Gospel" but yet it was...possibility of man being reconciled to God, God's love vs. God allows bad things to happen. I loved how Jesus jokingly asks something like "Do I seem like a "religious" person?" :D Definitely felt a moment of truth there!

There is certainly plenty that if one takes it perfectly literally or is looking for details that are "obviously wrong" - yep, I couldn't agree more. But if you are looking for overall messages, what the Gospel is all about (and how SIMPLE it is) then I think this movie is a rare gem.
Jesus asked "Do I look like a Christian to you?" and the guy responded, "no I guess not" or something close.
And in my head I responded "what the heck is that supposed to mean? Sunday clothes?" Cuz I thought it was a particularly dumb exchange designed to make people "law unto themselves" Christians, without any real reason; which I thought was an ongoing flaw with the movie.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

2EstablishZion wrote: June 15th, 2017, 8:21 am I'm so glad you enjoyed it Meili. It certainly wasn't "perfect" - i.e. it wasn't "the Gospel" but yet it was...possibility of man being reconciled to God, God's love vs. God allows bad things to happen. I loved how Jesus jokingly asks something like "Do I seem like a "religious" person?" :D Definitely felt a moment of truth there!

So, the philosophies of men mingled with scripture? Got it.

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

DesertWonderer wrote: June 15th, 2017, 9:43 am

That is exactly the asshatterish type of comments I have come to expect from far too many posters on this site. If you don;t like the movie - no problemo. But trying to make some Pharisaical holier-than-though reference to the temple ceremony.... despicable. But I forgive you.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Despicable??? Really? Factual would have been a better adjective to use to describe my comment.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

I've read the book and the wife and I plan on watching the movie after the kids go to bed tonight. Obviously it's not told from a "Mormon Doctrine" standpoint. It's written by a guy who really believes in God, though, and the book has a great message of mercy, forgiveness, and peace through incomprehensible trials. Pretty sure I sobbed my way through some of the chapters of the book, which is unique for me, and it's not unlikely that the movie will do the same for me tonight.

Thanks for starting this thread - it reminded me I wanted to see this movie. I'll let y'all know how it went tomorrow.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

There's a book, too? I totally have to get my hands on it.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Meili wrote: June 17th, 2017, 10:06 pm There's a book, too? I totally have to get my hands on it.
Yup there's a book. And after having seen the movie, I'd say (without much surprise) that the book was slightly better. Both the wife and I cried (her more than me, of course :ymcowboy: ), and there were some parts where the doctrine doesn't jive with our beliefs 100%, but the acting was pretty good, the message was there loud and clear, and it was good enough to earn a place on my shelf. They stayed true to the book for the most part; they just put more into the book than they can cram into a two hour movie. My only regret is I wish they would have used the same ending that they had in the book... would have been more closure that way, I think. If you haven't read it, you should.

https://www.amazon.com/Shack-Where-Trag ... =the+shack

Thanks again for reminding me of this movie! I saw the preview and knew I had to see it, then it totally fell off my radar!

benjiboy456
Hi, I'm new.

Post by benjiboy456 »

DesertWonderer wrote: June 15th, 2017, 9:43 am

I think the difference between TPOMMWS and what The Shack is trying to do is that The Shack is a teensy bit (unknowingly) innacurate while TPOMMWS is attempting to pull people away from Christ. The Shack is all about focusing on Christ and our relationship with him. The Shack's flaws are as follows: Christ makes a small jab at organized religion and The Holy Ghost is portrayed as an Asian woman. From modern-day revelation, we (of course) know that He is male. (Can Heavenly Father change forms? I dunno, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.) In The Shack, Christ states that He wants friends, family and love, not religious slaves. In the LDS faith, family friends and love IS our religion. We are God's children. We've come to earth as families. The Saviour performed The Atonement so that we can return to live with Him as families. So apart from these very minor inconsistencies, there is really nothing else to complain about. The teachings in The Shack correspond with alarming accuracy to modern day revelation and The Book of Mormon.