Need Help with Talk on US Constitution

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Need Help with Talk on US Constitution

Post by lundbaek »

I have been asked to give a 1/2 hour+ talk in mid-October about the US Constitution to a group of people about whom I know nothing other than they have expressed some interest in trying to help save this nation for the next generation. I'd like to start off by reading them some statements by men who participated in the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787 that indicate that they felt God's guidance in the writing/drafting of the Constitution.. The best I have thus far been able to come up with are the following. Without putting yourself to any trouble, If you are aware of any additional such statements, would you please send them to me or refer me to where I can find them.

George Washington
“No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.” (First Inaugural Address, 30 April 1789)

“The power and goodness of the Almighty were strongly manifested in the events of the late glorious revolution; and His kind interposition in our behalf has been no less visible I the establishment of our present equal government.” (Letter to the Hebrew Congregations,
I Jamuary 1790)

James Madison
“It Is impossible for the man of pious reflection not to perceive in it (the Constitution) a finger of that Almighty hand which has been so frequently and signally extended to our relief in the critical stages of revolution “ ( Federalist Nr. 37 )

Benjamin Franklin
It was Franklin who suggested the practice of prayer at the Constitutional Convention.
“In the beginning of the contest with Britain we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for divine protection. Our prayers were heard, sir, and they were graciously answered........I, therefore, beg leave to move: That hereafter prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven and its blessing on our deliberations, be held in this assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service. “ (This motion did not pass because of lack of funds to pay the clergy)

These 4 statements may be enough, so please don't go to the trouble of searching. That's my job. I do not intend to give a line-by-line explanation of the Constitution, but rather discuss, as requested, "the important treasure that the Constitution is, examples of how the government is trampling on the Constitution and what we need to do to guard against unconstitutional government actions."