America's Counter-Revolution: The Constitution Revisited

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Separatist
captain of 1,000

America's Counter-Revolution: The Constitution Revisited

Post by Separatist »

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Counter- ... oks&sr=1-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the back cover:

This book challenges the assumption that the Constitution was a landmark in the struggle for liberty. Instead, Sheldon Richman argues, it was the product of a counter-revolution, a setback for the radicalism represented by America’s break with the British empire. Drawing on careful, credible historical scholarship and contemporary political analysis, Richman suggests that this counter-revolution was the work of conservatives who sought a nation of “power, consequence, and grandeur.” America’s Counter-Revolution makes a persuasive case that the Constitution was a victory not for liberty but for the agendas and interests of a militaristic, aristocratic, privilege-seeking ruling class.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Re: America's Counter-Revolution: The Constitution Revisited

Post by Separatist »

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain -- that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it."

- Lysander Spooner, "The Constitution of No Authority"

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Spooner offers a false dichotomy there, I think. Another - and I believe more accurate option - is that the Constitution did have the power to prevent it, but the people failed the Constitution, not the other way around.

Of course a mere document, no matter how inspired, is not going to do anything to prevent or cause anything to happen.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Excellent discussion of said book:

http://sheldonfreeassociation.blogspot. ... and-i.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;