Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
MegaManToo
captain of 100

Re: Visions of Glory - As told to John Pontius

Post by MegaManToo »

jennykrs wrote:Please check this out so you can make an informed decision. http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/ ... s-of-glory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Add this link to your bookmarks as well, for an informed decision:
http://www.ldsmag.com/article/1/13817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since these people aren't getting any money from the sale of the book, they can afford to be critical and objective regarding the book.

To promote the book go here:
http://unblogmysoul.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/testify/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife showed up with "Visions of Glory" last weekend, after checking it out from the library; and, I think that she intends to have me read it before taking it back, which I probably will do.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Keep in mind the experiences are Spencer's and intended for Spencer. There is an overlap that we can all benefit from, though. For example, I live in Utah as well, but farther north from Salt Lake City. I have no doubt that I will experience the same earthquake, but my experience will be unique to myself just as Spencer's is unique to his.

Olive Leaf
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Olive Leaf »

I have two brand new, pristine books of Visions of Glory by John Pontius I am selling for $20 each, which includes postage. If you are interested, email me at oliveleaf.dc@gmail.com

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I want to tell everyone how this book has affected me.
I know not if the events in these visions will come to pass, if they are literal or figurative, if it's fictional or not. I don't claim anything other than the positive effect this book has had on me.I don't know if "Spencer" Is a prophet or a wolf in sheeps clothing.

It has increased my faith in My Savior Jesus, and it has increased my testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I don't care if none of these things come to pass, because I have felt The Spirit as I read this book, I felt this comfort, and I have gained a stronger testimony of something I once criticized often.

Nothing else matters me, other than what I have gained reading this book. This book invites me to Come unto Christ, and anything that invites us to do good and come unto Christ is from God.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Stahura wrote:I want to tell everyone how this book has affected me.
I know not if the events in these visions will come to pass, if they are literal or figurative, if it's fictional or not. I don't claim anything other than the positive effect this book has had on me.I don't know if "Spencer" Is a prophet or a wolf in sheeps clothing.

It has increased my faith in My Savior Jesus, and it has increased my testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I don't care if none of these things come to pass, because I have felt The Spirit as I read this book, I felt this comfort, and I have gained a stronger testimony of something I once criticized often.

Nothing else matters me, other than what I have gained reading this book. This book invites me to Come unto Christ, and anything that invites us to do good and come unto Christ is from God.
I agree. I also happen to know "spencer" and he is a very humble and honest man. I also know the events in his book while are interpreted by him the best he can, are for him yes, but the book is rich in truth from my own experiences. The book will bring somebody with an open mind closer to Christ.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

zionminded wrote:
Stahura wrote: ...... I also happen to know "spencer" and he is a very humble and honest man.
I am amazed at how many people claim to know the anonymous Spencer.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Stahura wrote: ...... I also happen to know "spencer" and he is a very humble and honest man.
Why does your quote say that I said that? I never said that I know spencer

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

Stahura wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Why does your quote say that I said that? I never said that I know spencer
It looks like he was trying to quote zionminded who is the one who said that, but the formatting got messed up in the process.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

zionminded wrote:

I agree. I also happen to know "spencer" and he is a very humble and honest man. I also know the events in his book while are interpreted by him the best he can, are for him yes, but the book is rich in truth from my own experiences. The book will bring somebody with an open mind closer to Christ.
So is he really a Stake President?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

setyourselffree wrote:
zionminded wrote:

So is he really a Stake President?
I've heard several sources say he is serving as a Bishop, I've never heard he's a stake president. Where did you hear that?

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

He is a bishop now.

campfollower
Hi, I'm new.

Post by campfollower »

If he is anonymous how on earth does anyone know whether he's a bishop or a stake president or even real???

I mean honestly, the level of verification on these posts is sad. I could say I'm "Spencer" and no one would be able to claim otherwise.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

zionminded wrote:He is a bishop now.

Yes he is. His intention has been to remain anonymous. It has been hard because eventually someone who knows him will talk. I have family who knows him and says that he is a wonderful, humble, honest man. His name has already been revealed on this board at some point. I won't say his name because I will respect his wish to remain anonymous. But many people do know him and obviously know his name.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

campfollower wrote:If he is anonymous how on earth does anyone know whether he's a bishop or a stake president or even real???

I mean honestly, the level of verification on these posts is sad. I could say I'm "Spencer" and no one would be able to claim otherwise.

Oh trust me, many would claim otherwise. You can't put any information on here without at least a few ripping you to pieces and calling you out;)

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:

Well he is a prominent therapist in Salt Lake City. Many people know him.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

In all seriousness, I don't see how it is possible that this obvious work of fiction full of false doctrine could lead you to Christ. The book isn't about Christ but about Spencer's Jesus complex.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

durangout wrote:

In all seriousness, I don't see how it is possible that this obvious work of fiction full of false doctrine could lead you to Christ. The book isn't about Christ but about Spencer's Jesus complex.
We understand that you can't understand how people can feel like this book brings them closer to Christ. But why does it bother you that some people feel that it does? I don't think anyone is telling you that you have to feel the same way they feel. Why do these things bring out negative emotions in you. I really want to understand. I am sincerely perplexed.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

Years ago I read a book called, "The Shack." It is fiction. It portrayed Christ as a good natured, positive and happy man. I loved it. I felt closer to the Savior after reading it. I feel like any book that talks about Christ in a positive way, portraying Him as loving, caring, and merciful, fiction or not, can bring one closer to Him.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

And as far as Spencer having a "Jesus complex", what is wrong with that. Aren't we all striving to be like Jesus?

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Catherine wrote:
durangout wrote:

We understand that you can't understand how people can feel like this book brings them closer to Christ. But why does it bother you that some people feel that it does? I don't think anyone is telling you that you have to feel the same way they feel. Why do these things bring out negative emotions in you. I really want to understand. I am sincerely perplexed.
It bothers me to know that membes of The Church can be so easily deceived.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Catherine wrote:Years ago I read a book called, "The Shack." It is fiction. It portrayed Christ as a good natured, positive and happy man. I loved it. I felt closer to the Savior after reading it. I feel like any book that talks about Christ in a positive way, portraying Him as loving, caring, and merciful, fiction or not, can bring one closer to Him.
I've read that book as well. Like VoG it has some truth and it has some error. There is a big difference between these books. The author of The Shack labels it a fiction. The author of VoG calls it a true NDE and uses The Church and it's apostles to legitimize it's false doctrine, misinterpretation of scripture, "new doctrine" and obvious fabricated events.

BTW, I started reading it again yesterday for fun. Spencer says satan actually, literally changed his physical form to that of a snake to temp Eve--LOL.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

durangout wrote:
Catherine wrote:
durangout wrote:

With all due respect, if Jesus Christ himself appeared to a member of this forum and told him that this book is true, others would still mock and say that he is deceived and apostate. What have I been deceived about? I didn't say that spencer is a prophet and that the things in this book will happen or that they are true. All I said is that it has increased my testimony of Jesus, and of The Church.

I care not if those who idolize the prophets only want me to read General Conference talks. God inspires many people, and inspires them to write their experiences to help other people. This specific Book has brought me a bigger testimony of the prophets that so many members idolize, and yet these members are soooo upset that maybe someone else other than their beloved prophet has received a vision!

This book encourages us to believe in Jesus Christ and that this is Gods church with real Apostles.

Why is there a double standard? You make fun of "spencer" for teaching that Satan literally appeared as a serpent. Do you make fun of Brogham Yoing, Orson Pratt and Heber c Kimball for some of the messed up things they claimed in the name of Christ? These men taught that some members of the Church are literal seed of Jesus Christ. Other general authorities have condemned this teaching.

So when The Book of Mormon says that anything that invites us to do good and invites us to believe in Christ is of God, that's actually false?
It's actually supposed to say, if anything comes from The first presidency, it's of God, nothing else is trustworthy?

God Forbid that someone other than my "beloved" prophet receive direction from God concerning his own life. How tragic that would be.

I see the fruits of this man in the lives of people who read and say this book helped them come to Christ.
They are the ones who immediately seek to help someone who repents. When BurningSword/Emmanuel admitted to everyone that he was wrong and deceived, these are the people that immediately forgive him, embraced him and offered advice, and began to converse with him. The others like Franco and EmmaLee made fun of him, and made fun of others who still conversed with him about scriptures. They go through extra effort to make sure others know that they weren't deceived.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't it be those "righteous followers of the prophet" that have a love for their fellow man and enemies? Shouldn't they be the charitable ones?
This is the reason every ex Mormon hates the church and calls Mormons bigots. This is while the gay community hates the church, because most members behave like these people who mock a man even in his most humble and vulnerable state.

If being a "TBM" means being obsessed with prophets so much that I choose avoid books like VoG and I turn into someone who mocks and condemns false prophets and false Christs after they humbly ask everyone for forgiveness and admits he was wrong and bitterly repents, I want no part of that.
The fruits of this book are plainly manifested in the actions of those that read this book humbly with an open heart.
This book does not replace my Book of Mormon. But it helps me come into Christ, even if it's completely fictional which it very may well
Be.
I'm not blind enough to take anything Spencer days and say wow! That's doctrine! I'm going to believe that! I say that it simply helps me trust more in church leaders.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

durangout wrote:
Catherine wrote:
durangout wrote:

I apologize in advice if I sound judgemental of anybody. I have a hard time choosing my words and I often sound rude or come across very strong willed.

Stacy Oliver
captain of 1,000

Post by Stacy Oliver »

Catherine wrote:
durangout wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am bothered for several reasons, but these two most of all:

1. People are changing their lives based on these books. They're deciding not to go on missions, spending their retirement accounts on fancy tents, and doing other short-sighted things with the idea that they needn't plan too far in advance.

2. What's going to happen when these things don't come to pass? Will they say, "Oh well," or will they say, "If I was deceived about tent cities and whatever, maybe I was deceived when I felt it bring me closer to Christ."

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Stacy Oliver wrote:
Catherine wrote:
durangout wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am bothered for several reasons, but these two most of all:

1. People are changing their lives based on these books. They're deciding not to go on missions, spending their retirement accounts on fancy tents, and doing other short-sighted things with the idea that they needn't plan too far in advance.

2. What's going to happen when these things don't come to pass? Will they say, "Oh well," or will they say, "If I was deceived about tent cities and whatever, maybe I was deceived when I felt it bring me closer to Christ."
I can see that. These fears are justified. Honestly, people can take things too far. Just like I believe some people take "follow the prophet" too far, they take these books to far. Some replace real scripture with these things. It's true.

For me, I already served a mission and I follow The prophet. When the prophet had been saying for years to have food storage and I read this book where he has a vision of these calamities, it only makes me realize why the prophets and apostles have talked so much about food storage and I should probably listen to those prophets IN CASE something like what visions of Glory depicts actually happens. It never hurts to be prepared.